Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

10 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Will feel a lot better when we know what is or isn't up with Taron.

Agree. Rasul and Taron are the most important players by far on the injury report. If we have those two playing I’d feel a lot better about our chances. If not, it’s gonna be a long game for the defense. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

Meniscus tear is probably good news right? Isnt it common for guys to play through those?

Sure is as long as the swelling isn’t bad

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

McD just listed the entire list as day to day at his presser.  I’ll take it, if anyone looks to be out for the year he says so.  

The one that scares me is Taron Johnson in CP.  It’s the second time this season.  IIRC, he exited protocol fairly early.  Hopefully that happens again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

McD just listed the entire list as day to day at his presser.  I’ll take it, if anyone looks to be out for the year he says so.  

Wow...best news we could have hoped for...how is Bernard day to day???

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...best news we could have hoped for...how is Bernard day to day???

mcD did not go into details - he just gave the list and said Bernard has an ankle, will see how it goes.   The presser should be posted shortly.  I believe Wawro interjected “so all day to day” after the long list and McD concurred but I can’t recall exactly how it was all phrased.   After milano and dequans cart-level injuries he said “does not look good” the day after.  He did not say that for Bernard. 

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

mcD did not go into details - he just gave the list and said Bernard has an ankle, will see how it goes.   The presser should be posted shortly.  I believe Wawro interjected “so all day to day” after the long list and McD concurred but I can’t recall exactly how it was all phrased.   After milano and dequans cart-level injuries he said “does not look good” the day after.  He did not say that for Bernard. 

That’s how it was last week with the injuries.

The reporter said - so all in the day to day bucket, and McDermott said yes. 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Doesn't mean they won't have guys drop like flies during the game tho as we have seen the last few weeks...

Players are always overly optimistic about their ability to play...it's the trainers that sometimes need to "save players from themselves" in those ways. Likely would have been a prime candidate to re-injure during the game if he played. The extra rest and treatments should allow for much lower chances of that.

I never see that happen with them.  Have you?  I agree that it should happen from time to time; every team goes through it once in a while, but they do not.  

And when someone does go down, they are back in a series or two.  Rashee Rice went down against Miami and was back in a couple series.

Meanwhile, Miami must have had at least 3-4 players go down during the game.

On a side note, the fact that I found myself passionately rooting for Miami in that game was a realization of how deep my hatred for KC has become 😆 So admittedly, that factors into my bitterness on this subject, but either way, it remains a fact.  Since Mahomes entered the league, I don't remember KC dealing with any "significant" injuries on their entire team in the playoffs except for Honey Badger.  And the fact that it's just ONE GUY over 7 playoff runs is just.... 🤦‍♂️ forget it

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Word from reporters, so it wasn't just a fever dream

That is AWESOME news on Bernard.

However, I did not see Taron Johnson on that list.

Wouldn't he technically be day-to-day, as well?

Or did he not have a concussion?

• DJB changed the title to Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott
2 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Usually that is just "he's in the protocol".   Taron has been through this 4 times previously and usually exits in record time, hopefully that continues and he is good.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I never see that happen with them.  Have you?  I agree that it should happen from time to time; every team goes through it once in a while, but they do not.  

And when someone does go down, they are back in a series or two.  Rashee Rice went down against Miami and was back in a couple series.

On a side note, the fact that I found myself passionately rooting for Miami in that game was a realization of how deep my hatred for KC has become 😆 So admittedly, that factors into my bitterness on this subject, but either way, it remains a fact.  Since Mahomes entered the league, I don't remember KC dealing with any "significant" injuries on their entire team in the playoffs except for Honey Badger.  And the fact that it's just ONE GUY over 7 playoff runs is just.... 🤦‍♂️ forget it

He's officially in concussion protocol which means that it's out of the Bills hands. That said, it is possible he gets through the stages fast.

5 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

He is in concussion protocol...gonna be hard for him to go thru all the steps needed and be back in 6 days...that's a killer with the move of the game...CP requires a step by step process that needs time to get thru before clearing

8 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

McDermott said Taron is in concussion protocol.

Players in concussion protocol are never "day to day".  There's a specific process they have to go through.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

…we’ve seen guys react like their ankle needs to be amputated then it turns out to be pretty mild 

c154eb60-3d1c-11ed-bda9-3a6dbd348c85

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Wasn't he with the Bills prior??

Joe Giles Harris "listed" on NFL.com as member of Bills but other sites list him elsewhere.  No dates listed on NFL.com.

https://www.nfl.com/players/joe-giles-harris/

https://www.nfl.com/videos/joe-giles-harris-becomes-immovable-object-on-stonewall-tackle-at-goal-line

Joe Giles-Harris becomes immovable object on stonewall tackle at goal line

Buffalo Bills linebacker Joe Giles-Harris becomes immovable object on stonewall tackle at goal line.

There is also a video of him at New England

https://www.nfl.com/videos/joe-giles-harris-picks-off-malik-willis-pass-for-6-yards

Joe Giles-Harris picks off Malik Willis' pass pass for 6 yards

New England Patriots linebacker Joe Giles-Harris picks off Tennessee Titans quarterback Malik Willis' pass for 6 yards

And Jacksonville

https://www.nfl.com/videos/joe-giles-harris-gets-a-piece-of-ryan-tannehill-on-7-yard-sack

Joe Giles-Harris gets a piece of Ryan Tannehill on 7-yard sack

Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Joe Giles-Harris gets a piece of Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill on a 7-yard sack.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Success said:

Hmmmm...why isn't Benford listed?

Is he alright?

I'm not sure why Katherine Fitzgerald didn't list him.  He was the last guy McDermott listed, with a knee, before saying we'll just take it day by day and see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Taron being out would be a huge loss, it’s still possible he could get cleared in time though. There were a couple of guys that got concussions this year and had short turnarounds and then played less than a week later. So it can happen

Edited by BillsSbSoon
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends on the type of tear. Range of motion can be really inhibited with some tears where the meniscus gets caught and locks the knee in which case he would need surgery. 

I had that, along with ACL certain motions with cause the piece to flip up, i’d have to push the knee straight to pop it back in.🤦‍♂️

Just now, Beck Water said:

Giles Harris is on the Patriots practice squad.

Figured as much but someone was asking if he had played for Bills.  Some sites like NFL.com just do not seem to do much updating wanting you to see ads even if info is out of date.

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McDermott said Taron is in concussion protocol.

Players in concussion protocol are never "day to day".  There's a specific process they have to go through.

I understand. Just thought that process technically qualified as “day to day” as well, since, it kind of is, even though it’s behind the scenes. 

25 minutes ago, stevewin said:

c154eb60-3d1c-11ed-bda9-3a6dbd348c85

Brady walked off the field after he tore his ACL. Maybe he’s upset TayTay wasn’t at his game?  

P.S. - When my son tore his ACL/MCL and then saw Brady walk off he said “that was not the same injury.” 

41 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He is in concussion protocol...gonna be hard for him to go thru all the steps needed and be back in 6 days...that's a killer with the move of the game...CP requires a step by step process that needs time to get thru before clearing

If he’s limited tomorrow it’s a good first step. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here's the update I got on a few of the injuries suffered yesterday:

-Spector is totally fine, will have no issues.

-Benford has a small tear in his meniscus but may be able to play through it. TBD

-Bernard I got less clarity on. My source believes it is a high ankle sprain, but not 100% sure since they were still testing it as of when my source got the information. TBD on if he can definitely return this year or what the return time would look like but thankfully it appears he avoided a truly serious injury.

I have no update on Taron Johnson, or the players that were out against the Steelers. I'll pass along any further updates if I receive them.

Couple updates:

-Sam Martin has a grade 2 hamstring strain. He was shot up at halftime of the Steelers game just to be able to execute his punts in the 2nd half, but that is a temporary solution before the swelling sets in. Unlikely he will be available on Sunday.

-Spector may have what's called a "transverse process fracture" in his back (someone more medically educated than me can maybe explain what this is) which is just a pain management issue.

• Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Couple updates:

-Sam Martin has a grade 2 hamstring strain. He was shot up at halftime of the Steelers game just to be able to execute his punts in the 2nd half, but that is a temporary solution before the swelling sets in. Unlikely he will be available on Sunday.

-Spector may have what's called a "transverse process fracture" in his back (someone more medically educated than me can maybe explain what this is) which is just a pain management issue.

So what are our options for a punter?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.