Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

57 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

who among us?

How much do you want to bet that Ron Rivera winds up on the Bills defensive coaching staff, maybe as D-coordinator/asst head coach?

I bet he's already scoping out places to live in WNY.

He basically said yesterday that he looks forward to going back to being a DC

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

All ready open:

Panthers

Chargers

Raiders

All but certain to make a Black Monday move:

Patriots

Commanders

Other spots to watch:

Falcons (Arthur Smith)

Seahawks (Pete Carroll - retirement)

That would be seven openings again. The league can't sustain this level of coaching turnover. The talent pipeline isn't capable of re-stocking at this speed.

The talent pipeline has never been able to adequately fill all the head coaching spots, there has always been bad HCs in the league…, 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That would be seven openings again. The league can't sustain this level of coaching turnover. The talent pipeline isn't capable of re-stocking at this speed.

The thing is, I don't hate it. I think we are seeing the end result of the "draft a quote-unquote offensive guru who had a cup of coffee with Shannahan or McVay and pull the plug if it doesn't work in one year" mentality.

I would say that there is limited pool of offensive coaches who can also handle the task of managing a team as a whole.

I think that you are likely going to see pitches made to OCs in college while a more CEO type HC manages the team. That's...kind of what we did with Brady? And I think that's the only way we are potentially upgrading from Brady considering the demand elsewhere.

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

who among us?

How much do you want to bet that Ron Rivera winds up on the Bills defensive coaching staff, maybe as D-coordinator/asst head coach?

I actually wouldn't hate that. McDermott has done a great job in the second half of the year, but there's a reason even coaches who call offensive plays have an OC. I am ok with him calling, but he could use some administrative help.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Just heard on the radio a conversation about Billy going to Atlanta. Won’t happen but the point they stated was there’s immediate chance for a division title with an owner who is willing to spend. 

Atlanta has some nice pieces, but still needs to find the right QB.  

If I'm them, I'm topping the offense off with another WR at #8 and signing Flacco.  They'd be Super Bowl contenders.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

If the Patriots want to move on from Belichick they should just cut the man loose so he can decide his own fate. After 6 SB titles, he deserves that, as Brady did.

Don't jerk him around and try to trade him so you can "get something for him." You got 6 rings and 9 trips to the SB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

39 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The talent pipeline has never been able to adequately fill all the head coaching spots, there has always been bad HCs in the league…, 

Yes, but the turnover rate has gone up and what I think we are seeing more now is bad Head Coach Candidates. I'm sure that has always existed to an extent but there are guys getting jobs now who are not even good candidates. Forget whether they become good HCs or not. 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

If I'm them, I'm topping the offense off with another WR at #8 and signing Flacco.  They'd be Super Bowl contenders.  

As much as Billy has had our number he’s a legend and deserves the respect for success. It would be fitting if he went to Atlanta and made some noise after his team caused a franchise meltdown after their SB51 loss. They had one more year and then have seemingly had years like the drought days; 7-9/7-10. 

Script alert!

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Flacco's a nice story this year and all, but there is a reason he was out of the league prior to. He's not the answer. 

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, but the turnover rate has gone up and what I think we are seeing more now is bad Head Coach Candidates. I'm sure that has always existed to an extent but there are guys getting jobs now who are not even good candidates. Forget whether they become good HCs or not. 

Maybe some new blood from the college ranks might be the infusion needed…? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Flacco's a nice story this year and all, but there is a reason he was out of the league prior to. He's not the answer. 

I agree. I have been anticipating him having a terrible game and the WC one may be it. Maybe I should hope for the Bills running into the Browns so we can beat the snot out of him 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is simply no way of telling if there is a shortage of talent capable of being NFL head coaches or not.    Personally,  I believe there is always an abundance of capable people.    There just isn't an efficient way to sort thru the hundreds of options at the college/pro/unemployed levels.    The fact that the list of candidates every few years becomes people you'd never heard of 3 years prior bears that out, IMO.      

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Be on the lookout in Dallas if they disappoint again in the playoffs: 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/asked-about-mike-mccarthys-future-jerry-jones-says-well-see-how-each-game-goes-in-postseason

If Green Bay wins there this weekend, which isn't crazy, I put it at 50/50 at least that they fire Big Mike. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

27 minutes ago, H2o said:

They passed on Fields in the draft im thinking they make a move for him, he’d be interesting with the Falcons who have some talent and potential.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Head coach changes

Panthers fired Reich 

Chargers fired Staley

vegas fired coach

Belicheat leaving Pats ??? Discussions. He might be just coach and not GM.

Commanders fired Rivera 

Atlanta fired coach 

“Vegas fired coach” 🤣🤣🤣

• Like (+1) 1

What's the most appealing opening? Maybe Chargers with Herbert but they probably have some cap problems. Maybe Atlanta with a good nucleus but no QB and they'll have to move up to get one. None of the others seem all that great. 

Feel like there's always a big surprise. 

7 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

What's the most appealing opening? Maybe Chargers with Herbert but they probably have some cap problems. Maybe Atlanta with a good nucleus but no QB and they'll have to move up to get one. None of the others seem all that great. 

There have been some news reports that McCarthy could be in trouble if Dallas doesn't have a good playoff run. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

There have been some news reports that McCarthy could be in trouble if Dallas doesn't have a good playoff run. 

When Dallas chokes against Green Bay he's out and Jerry will go after Belichick as soon as he's cut loose. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

has to be the Chargers with a QB, WR, and RB situation somewhat settled.  

Chargers situation has to be the best.

QB

WR

DE

Plus some other nice players. But you have a QB to work with, so a lot of the other stuff works out. Division is kind of tough but each year is its own story and Denver is about to have no QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

If the Patriots want to move on from Belichick they should just cut the man loose so he can decide his own fate. After 6 SB titles, he deserves that, as Brady did.

Don't jerk him around and try to trade him so you can "get something for him." You got 6 rings and 9 trips to the SB. 

I agree, though as a Bills fan can't say there isn't a bit of selfish ***** the Patriots in there not wanting them to get something for him, but despite that it'd still be pretty classless to not let him just go and make his own decision.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/asked-about-mike-mccarthys-future-jerry-jones-says-well-see-how-each-game-goes-in-postseason

If Green Bay wins there this weekend, which isn't crazy, I put it at 50/50 at least that they fire Big Mike. 

It's funny,   when Jerry came into the NFL he was the "maverick" owner.............but he is probably the most "Ralph" owner in the league now.    He hires lame ducks so he can have control over them.    Dan Quinn........the HC who blew the 28 point lead in the SB at his last HC job.........will be a perfect replacement for McCarthy.     Just enough of a resumé to prop him up as a winning hire.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's funny,   when Jerry came into the NFL he was the "maverick" owner.............but he is probably the most "Ralph" owner in the league now.    He hires lame ducks so he can have control over them.    Dan Quinn........the HC who blew the 28 point lead in the SB at his last HC job.........will be a perfect replacement for McCarthy.     Just enough of a resumé to prop him up as a winning hire.

Dallas is perfect for Belichick. Easier conference. Easier division. Stacked team.

Also perfect for Jerry Jones. Short term. Big name. Get over the hump maybe. 

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Dallas is perfect for Belichick. Easier conference. Easier division. Stacked team.

I can't see it.    Belichick has too much pride to be meddled with.    Even Bob Kraft doesn't dare meddle with him and if anyone should be arrogant about their ability to replace a HC it would be Kraft..........who has hired 3 HC's and all will be in the HOF.    I think LAC is the best destination for Belichick.   An owner desperate for results and willing to write the check and hand over the power.   Plus tons of MILF/GILF action for BB in LA.     

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Chargers situation has to be the best.

QB

WR

DE

Plus some other nice players. But you have a QB to work with, so a lot of the other stuff works out. Division is kind of tough but each year is its own story and Denver is about to have no QB

If the bears opens up, I like that better.

Bonus points for qb on a rookie deal and easier of the conferences 

Edited by May Day 10

37 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Think I might argue for Washington. New owner who’s happy to spend a lot, I believe the most cap space in the league, #2 pick in the draft and like 5 top 100 picks, and some good pieces in place already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Head coach changes

Panthers fired Reich 

Chargers fired Staley

vegas fired coach

Belicheat leaving Pats ??? Discussions. He might be just coach and not GM.

Commanders fired Rivera 

Atlanta fired coach 

McD and Rivera have a good relationship.  I could see Rivera being our DC next season if Frazier doesn't come back.  I doubt Rivera gets another HC offer next season.

16 hours ago, scuba guy said:

No offense but he mite have a heart attack  before that.

He needs to lose weight and get eating right for heath and welfare

Say that again with those chicken nuggies

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

has to be the Chargers with a QB, WR, and RB situation somewhat settled.  

I don’t think they have a RB under contract, Mike Williams is a question mark at this point with all the injuries, and Keenan Allen is quickly approaching the age cliff. Their cap situation is dreadful too. 

They have the QB sorted out but beyond that it seems like a bit of a tear down may be needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

man I have to imagine being the guy who replaces Bill Belichick in New England is going to be one of the most difficult jobs ever.  Everything you do is going to be compared to how one of the greatest coaches of all time did it.

I hope they get crazy and hire Matt Patricia.  That should keep them drafting in the top 10 for a half a decade or so

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is simply no way of telling if there is a shortage of talent capable of being NFL head coaches or not.    Personally,  I believe there is always an abundance of capable people.    There just isn't an efficient way to sort thru the hundreds of options at the college/pro/unemployed levels.    The fact that the list of candidates every few years becomes people you'd never heard of 3 years prior bears that out, IMO.      

That is a fair way of looking at it. Some of the people who end up getting these jobs are just patently unsuitable. But there may well be very suitable people who never get the break to be in that position. 

17 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Las Vegas as well 

That would be a shame. Their interim coach turned that team around.

Really the moral of the story is that you don't want to be the HC of a team that doesn't have a good QB.  You can't win otherwise, and if you don't win you're out.  

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't see it.    Belichick has too much pride to be meddled with.    Even Bob Kraft doesn't dare meddle with him and if anyone should be arrogant about their ability to replace a HC it would be Kraft..........who has hired 3 HC's and all will be in the HOF.    I think LAC is the best destination for Belichick.   An owner desperate for results and willing to write the check and hand over the power.   Plus tons of MILF/GILF action for BB in LA.     

Yeah there's no way Belichick goes to a team who's owner talks more than it's coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

They might even start looking to move on from Prescott if that happens. Jerry might want to give Lance a shot at a discounted rate. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.