Best coaching move of the game yesterday

6 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Yeah that was legit a great call!

Mcd when at last he calls a timeout to get the play right, and in fact does get the play right:

Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF

Something about how even a broke watch is right twice a day. 

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

McDermott wisely calling time out when on the Bills’ final drive Brady had them lined up in shotgun in third and less than one at the NE 26 yard line with 2:41 left. I remember earlier in the season McDermott losing it when Dorsey did the same inside the one, which predictably resulted in a failure. The call there is ALWAYS to sneak it when you have Josh Allen and the tush push remains legal. My strong assumption is that McDermott saw them line up in shotgun and thought “what the actual f**k??” and called the TO. The Bills then reverted to the smart play, which of course worked. It’s those calls that can be the difference in a game.

I will say in regards to that tush push, latavius has been very good at driving josh forward. On one of his sneaks he basically pushed josh up in the air to keep him moving over the pile. 

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You are correct. 

Worst decision was not going for it on 4th and 1 after the Murray fail. 

Is that the one where Josh whined like a 4 year old and didn’t really attempt to get NE to jump?  If so, it wasa good call not a bad o e.  Josh was in the wrong mindset and going for it there could have drastically swung things in the wrong direction.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

How do we know it wasn't McD who called the shotgun play and Brady radioed down to call a TO and run the snowplow.

If you don't like McD that's fine, but this is a reach. 

I have been critical of our HC and some of his poor decisions at times in high-leverage situations, but he did the smart thing there and deserves credit and praise for stepping up and making the right adjustment.

Clearly Brady was calling another shotgun play on short yardage like the ones that he called earlier at midfield that went no where.

The players were in shotgun and then McDermott calls the timeout takes his headset off and talks with Allen and then with Diggs and they go out and get under center and convert with the push.

It was a good move by McD and I don't think it undermined Brady, just reminded him that there is no need to go off script and get overly creative if a defense has not shown they can stop a play that has been money in short yardage.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, WideNine said:

If you don't like McD that's fine, but this is a reach. 

I have been critical of our HC and some of his poor decisions at times in high-leverage situations, but he did the smart thing there and deserves credit and praise for stepping up and making the right adjustment.

Clearly Brady was calling another shotgun play on short yardage like the ones that he called earlier at midfield that went no where.

The players were in shotgun and then McDermott calls the timeout takes his headset off and talks with Allen and then with Diggs and they go out and get under center and convert with the push.

It was a good move by McD and I don't think it undermined Brady, just reminded him that there is no need to go off script and get overly creative if a defense has not shown they can stop a play that has been money in short yardage.

It was definitely another RPO.  Which we had dropped like... 4 times in the game already on 3rd down.  It was a yard, not 3, lets be smart here.  Even a Murray run is a smarter call if you don't want to sneak it.  

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Josh is going to get hurt during a tush push?  Seems like he usually ends up with a DT and LB trying to bend him in half. 

Mahomes got hurt on a QB sneak a couple of years ago.

I asked in the other thread: Is McD not paying attention to the Offensive coach chatter and play calls? Surely, he must've heard the play called from Brady to Josh. No other time for him to jump in than a last second time out to correct his own staff?

On 1/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, dave mcbride said:

McDermott wisely calling time out when on the Bills’ final drive Brady had them lined up in shotgun in third and less than one at the NE 26 yard line with 2:41 left. I remember earlier in the season McDermott losing it when Dorsey did the same inside the one, which predictably resulted in a failure. The call there is ALWAYS to sneak it when you have Josh Allen and the tush push remains legal. My strong assumption is that McDermott saw them line up in shotgun and thought “what the actual f**k??” and called the TO. The Bills then reverted to the smart play, which of course worked. It’s those calls that can be the difference in a game.

But, But McD sucks right?...should be fired...replaced by Bill Belicheat. 

McD didn't call that defense against the Patriots...it was someone else.

Exit sarcasm... 

On 1/1/2024 at 4:00 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Hitler might have won the game against Poland … but the lack of the air game was a factor at the away games against England and Russia … Cost them the Championship that season

Re the Blitz against Englend: The Brits were running out of planes. If Goering had continued attacking Brit airfields for one more week the RAF would have collapsed; instead Goering switched to bombing cities.

Re the Russian campaign, the Russkies D made a crucial stop at Stalingrad. Once the Russkies had the ball in 1943 they continued to run the ball up the gut because the Germans couldn't stop it. Bottom line: the Germans lost WW2 because they couldn't win on the road.

On 1/1/2024 at 4:00 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Hitler might have won the game against Poland … but the lack of the air game was a factor at the away games against England and Russia … Cost them the Championship that season

Re the Blitz against Englend: The Brits were running out of planes. If Goering had continued attacking Brit airfields for one more week the RAF would have collapsed; instead Goering switched to bombing cities.

Re the Russian campaign, the Russkies D made a crucial stop at Stalingrad. Once the Russkies had the ball in 1943 they continued to run the ball up the gut because the Germans couldn't stop it. Bottom line: the Germans lost WW2 because they couldn't win on the road.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

They were exclusively on the road until the last days of the season when the Championship was already out of reach ..

The road detour via Stalingrad was an unnecessary exhibition game when they should have been pressing for a double header in the main Russian Stadium in Moscow… this exhibition game cost them a number of injuries..

In England they had inferior air equipment …I don’t think they were ever winning that one…

Edited by Aussie Joe

20 hours ago, sven233 said:

Fact is, on the play sheet, the only play under the 3rd or 4th and 1 or less section should be the tush push.  That's it.  One play.  No need to overthink anything.  It is a dominant play that will probably work AT LEAST 90% of the time. 

If a team stops you on 4th down doing it, you tip your cap, say nice play, and then do it again the next time you get in that situation because it is going to work, especially with a horse like Allen running it.  If it's 3rd and 1, then you run it and if they stop you, you run it again.  There is no way any team is stopping Josh Allen twice in a row on that play back to back times.  Not happening.

I don't care where you are on the field, just run the play.  I promise you we will extend drives and it will look easy instead of watching Murray run directly into the backs of our lineman who get no push on traditional running plays in short yardage.

100%. Until the league bans it, it is an unfair advantage for teams like us and the eagles with giant QBs. So take advantage of it. 

I’ve said exactly what you’re saying in game day threads; if you need less a yard and a half or less on 3rd or 4th, don’t even huddle. Don’t think. Hell, TELL THE DEFENSE “we’re running with Josh” and it will still work 90% of the time. (From under center). 

We have a built in cheat code. Use it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2024 at 1:49 PM, WhoTom said:

Yeah, but I wish they'd use a fullback or a blocking TE behind him instead of putting a RB there.

I would even go a step further...if the other team already knows what you are doing why not just put a couple 300lb linemen back there to push him forward?

13 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I would even go a step further...if the other team already knows what you are doing why not just put a couple 300lb linemen back there to push him forward?

That was my first thought but I wasn't sure if there's a limit to how many ineligibles can declare as eligible. They already have an extra lineman at one of the TE positions, so he must be declaring.

On 1/1/2024 at 4:08 PM, nedboy7 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Josh is going to get hurt during a tush push?  Seems like he usually ends up with a DT and LB trying to bend him in half. 

I'm surprised teams don't train a RB to take the snap and be the one who takes the potential hits

On 1/1/2024 at 3:39 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re getting really good at the tush push. 

They are…but it’s not like the line is just knocking people backward in the way that Philly’s does to make it easy.  Josh has a great feel of where to find daylight.

Rather than just slamming straight ahead into centers back (like Nick Mullens against Cincinnati a few weeks ago) he moved forward and shuffles left right off of Knox’s down blocked down.  

I’ve noticed this a few times over the past few games 

17 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Key lesson:  we must blitzkieg Tua often until he surrenders. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.