Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

Look needing to win like last night and rooting for other teams to lose just so we can get into the playoffs is and was great, for 2017. I would have hoped we were way beyond that point by now. I’ll take the win, any win is good. But are they ever going to put their foot on the gas peddle and do what we know this team is capable of doing? 

30 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

When the Bills win the superbowl, the OP will be here to let us know how lucky they were and it will never happen again.  This dude is like the fan from Major League

If we win I’ll be in the first plane to Buffalo.  I sat in the Rockpile in 1960 for the first game.  No one here has been a fan longer than me.  And that gives one a sense of reality.  And the reality is we stole one yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

"Why can't you just be miserable like me?"

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

No you missed my point. I agree with the op. It’s great we won last night but it does not inspire much hope for the future. Yes they pulled that win out, but this team is too up and down. One week we look like the best team ever the next will we struggle to beat a team with a head coach who has never even been a coordinator! I’m happy they won but which team will show up in the playoffs if they get there? I knew if they won people would act like all is good in paradise.

What a dumb thing to say. "All is good in paradise" 🙃-- hardly.  No one thinks that, so stop with the straw man arguments.  Such hyperbole.

At this time of year a win is a win.  And all this crap about style points is BS.  I mean should the Cowboys forget about the playoffs because, well they got clobbered last week?  Just dumb depressing stuff. 

Enjoy the games the next two days and Merry Christmas to all!!!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevestojan said:

Will it make you feel better if a group of us all admit we got lucky? 

We have been on the opposite end of “luck” more times than any of us can count; we were due. Weird how many times we say the chiefs “got lucky.” Good teams find ways to win. Bad teams blame bad luck when they lose. 

To your point, the idea that the Bills are “lucky” is about as absurd of a point I have ever heard.  This is not probably the unluckiest sports team in the history of the world. 

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And we’re very fortunate to have done so.  This team has way too much talent to play like they did 

Chargers have way more talent than you realize cause you are fooled by their record and QB.  This team won.  Despite the negative entitled fans who actually dont understand football.  Then you boast about how long you been watching.  You seem to forget how each season plays out.  Even the 49ers had a losing streak FFS. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Why can’t we be fans but recognize when they play poorly?

I think the OP title is a tad patronizing for starters.  It set the tone for a you against the other less realistic  fans.  Which clearly is/was not a given

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Oh man can’t let it go huh lil buddy?

Sorry but children don’t get to make the seating assignments. I feel safe making that assessment based on the quality of your posts. But like I said. Cute. 

But go back to your little name calling posts. Really showcases your talent 🤣🤣

Two guys arguing on the internet does not scream "Adults" as you two have mentioned a multiple times in your immature dispute posts

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some object to my saying we were lucky to win.  How about saying we were very, very fortunate?

Lucky or fortunate, I just disagree. 

They committed unforced errors against an inferior opponent. But they also put together a GW drive when it mattered. In the end, they didn’t play their best, but still found a way to win. The patriots used to call that the “patriot way.”

the good thing about this team is, if they make the playoffs, they always play up to their opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

Playoff position? Yeah, they must suck. 
You can just as easily say they could’ve, should’ve won a couple others in which opposition got a break or two. As the saying goes, the team is what the record shows.  
Considering that on defense they’re now fielding more reserves than the starting 11 from game 1, I’d say they’re doing pretty well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sorry, do you actually think the team played well yesterday?  Happy we won of course but they can’t play like that and expect to go anywhere.

I’m thinking people don’t really get this. Oh well. We’ll see how it plays out?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why can’t we be fans but recognize when they play poorly?

Why is that more important than appreciating a victory?

You're so focused on what went wrong, your missing a performance by Josh Allen that added to his legend.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Last night felt like all the horror of 23 replayed. You could feel the energy shifting into a “how is this loss going to happen” and when Cook fumbled late, it was that sick feeling (nyj,ne,den,phi) All over again….Like this is who this team is. Choke artists let’s just be real. But then something crazy happened and we actually pulled the game out. So maybe, last night was a good thing.

I wish I got lucky last night too

• Haha (+1) 1

Win or lose, after every game I check this forum with the thought of, "Wonder what someone's crying about now" and it never fails. 

Bills could go win the Super Bowl 56-0. Josh could go 34 of 37 for 512 yards and 6 TDs. Diggs could have 14 receptions for 253 yards and 3 TDs and someone would be on here saying, "They really need to execute on that second and five from the first quarter! Diggs only took 19 steps in his route instead of the correct 21.3 and Josh's ball placement was precisely 0.42 centimeters off. Has to be better!!"

Some of y'all make me wanna run headlong into a brick wall with this dookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

Luck is a part of almost all NFL games.  Just like the Eagles got lucky their kicker made a 60 yard FG in a driving rain and wind storm where the probability had to be under 5%. Or does this somehow only work in the Bills favor but anytime something lucky happens against them, it isn't? 

Clown post.  You could literally come up with that for 50% of NFL games or more.  

The LA Rams just won a Super Bowl because the 49ers player dropped a game ending INT that Stafford threw right to him with noone else around that hit him perfectly in the hands.  Are you claiming that luck didn't play a part in that?  Or did Stafford somehow put some type of "spin" on the ball that caused him to drop it?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, blacklabel said:

Win or lose, after every game I check this forum with the thought of, "Wonder what someone's crying about now" and it never fails. 

Bills could go win the Super Bowl 56-0. Josh could go 34 of 37 for 512 yards and 6 TDs. Diggs could have 14 receptions for 253 yards and 3 TDs and someone would be on here saying, "They really need to execute on that second and five from the first quarter! Diggs only took 19 steps in his route instead of the correct 21.3 and Josh's ball placement was precisely 0.42 centimeters off. Has to be better!!"

Some of y'all make me wanna run headlong into a brick wall with this dookie. 

I try to imagine what this board would have looked like back in the glory days.  You can only assume their would be a round of mass suicides every february from 1990 to 1994.  Or at least processions of flagellants circling the Ralph.

I am not too down on the team. We really need to clean up the turnovers more consistently from game to game.

One poor pass decision by Allen throwing deep across his body (still was a yard from being on the money which is a bit unreal), Cook put it on the turf which I hope is something he can correct as he has had a few of those this year, and Deonte started running East and West on a punt return which is usually a recipe for fumbles... which it was.

So the "good" news is that it was not a flurry of bad Josh decisions, but it was some bad ball security across offense and ST.

There were some really ticky-tacky penalties called back to back to back to squash one drive and keep the Vegas lines close :)

2 holding calls on our veteran center that erased some great plays made to move the sticks on the 3rd and longs - WTF. So weak, and rarely ever called on the guys in the middle of the trenches.

Defense gave up one TD on a very short field after the punt turnover by Harty then tightened the screws.

I can't get completely down on this team and call it lucky, they pulled out an ugly win which the best teams sometimes have to do, but they do need to show that they can string together more games where they execute cleanly and are on the positive end of the turnover ratio to be a deep post season threat.

Still a bit too inconsistent right now to make me truly believe. I want to see a better passing game plan with more quick timing throws and use of the middle of the field from Brady.

I like that he got the running backs involved in the passing game the past few weeks, but it seemed like the Chargers took that away so what was the plan B when that happened?

They blitzed their linebackers quite a bit so there should have been opportunities in the middle of the field. I will wait to hear what the All-22 has to say, but I would guess they played their 2 safeties in the box and went cover 0 at times, or showed that look and had them bail at the snap. Perhaps they went single high a few times and left a safety in the middle to play zone, either way they sent a lot of extra man pressures.

The pass pro was a bit shakey as they brought the extra man, but teams will roll the dice and blitz us and Brady has to have answers for Allen (that he is confident using).

3 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

But it was and we are.  So what is the problem?

The way they played last night. If that was a good team the bills lose. If they had Herbert, Allen, Williams, bosa, day, a head coach, the bills don’t win with even two or three of those guys playing. 

The problem for me is when is the so so bills team last night going to start playing like the great team we know they are? even if they make the playoffs a performance like that and they are one and done! I’m thinking of the playoffs, not last night! 

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Last night felt like all the horror of 23 replayed. You could feel the energy shifting into a “how is this loss going to happen” and when Cook fumbled late, it was that sick feeling (nyj,ne,den,phi) All over again….Like this is who this team is. Choke artists let’s just be real. But then something crazy happened and we actually pulled the game out. So maybe, last night was a good thing.

We can only hope. I was hoping the Dallas game was the good thing that would finally help this team turn that corner. 

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

the only choke artists are the fans. 

3 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

The way they played last night. If that was a good team the bills lose. If they had Herbert, Allen, Williams, bosa, day, a head coach, the bills don’t win with even two or three of those guys playing. 

The problem for me is when is the so so bills team last night going to start playing like the great team we know they are? even if they make the playoffs a performance like that and they are one and done! I’m thinking of the playoffs, not last night! 

They played like a great team the last two weeks.

Have faith. They will get the job done and run the table. 

I think. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.