Bills at Chargers, Game Week Thread Sat. 8 pm on Peacock (7 pm for us Flyover Folks)

Beck Water

OK, @Simon, you want a better start to a game week thread - I'll give it a go.  

Still waiting at the airport for my bushel basket of Corgis , though.

Game as we know is Saturday on Peacock.   Other threads say either Peacock subscription option will do.  #### it and Pee (see what I did there?) on the NFL for all the short week games they give the guys, then they yammer about player safety.

Tues injury list

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

Seems promising that AJ and Micah both practiced.  Concerned about Floyd's appearance on the list.  McDermott said Jones is unlikely to play and Von was excused for a family funeral.  Phillips had surgery on a dislocated wrist and hopes to be back "if the Bills make the playoffs". 

When, BigJ.  Think these things into existence.

Just Win, Boys.

On the Bolts side, Keenan Allen seems to be the most serious injury on report, DNP

However, Deane Leonard (also DNP with heel) is one of their starting Corners

Reminder Mike Williams on IR

Any other insights?  Put 'em here.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Of all the weeks to be light on the interior line (if DaQuan still out and Phillips out) against the run, I feel best about it in this spot, as weather won't be an issue and I fully expect the Bills to pile up points early and often, forcing the Bolts to go to the air more often than not. Hopefully we get some help back by the time NE and Miami games roll around however...

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dan Orlovsky talks Bills-Chargers on OBL:

A few talking points from Orlovsky:

-no "vertical juice" to their offense, Keenan Allen injured, Mike Williams on IR

-can create a lot of blown coverages, "you see a lot of blown coverages in LA", expects Joe Brady to take advantage of this

-doesn't like to use the four-letter "Q" word, but it's hard to watch the tape of the Raiders game without seeing that there

-Bills need to come out hard and jump on them early to encourage this

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

Interim HC "Giff Smith"

https://www.chargers.com/news/giff-smith-chargers-interim-head-coach-player-reaction

Pretty much the standard boilerplate.  "Players are excited for the long term coach in his new role" "We're going to stick together and go through this as a team" "Guys are looking forward to playing for him" "We've got a 3 game season, we're going to keep fighting, keep trying to win"

I had forgotten that Giff Smith was a Bills assistant coach under Chan Gailey.  From Wiki:

"Buffalo Bills:  In 2010, Smith was hired by the Buffalo Bills as their defensive line coach under head coach Chan Gailey. During his time there, Smith is credited with helping with the emergence of Kyle Williams.  He was dismissed, along with the entire Bills coaching staff, on December 31, 2012."

Basically, Smith has been with the Chargers since 2016 as a DL coach and OLB coach.  Hard to know what he'd do if he had a free hand at the plate.  Also hard to tell from the quotes in that article how much the Chargers believe in him and are truly motivated to play hard. 

A cornered rabbit will box and bite though.

• Like (+1) 1

RB Ekeler says he's building his resume for FA, so expect him to go hard. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10101931-chargers-austin-ekeler-im-still-painting-my-resume-ahead-of-2024-nfl-free-agency

"I'm a free agent after this year," Ekeler said, per Kris Rhim of ESPN. "and so I'm still painting my résumé.

Ekeler has seen a production dip in 2023 as he has rushed for 506 yards and five touchdowns off of 141 carries. This puts him on pace for his lowest statistical season since 2020 and could impact his potential market when it comes to his free agency.

He acknowledged that this is a reality but expressed confidence in his abilities and that the next three games could really improve things for him.

"I know I'm the same player," Ekeler said, per Rhim. "But that doesn't matter when it comes to the contracts, when it comes to the media, when it comes to betting, when it comes to all these people that are affected by me, it's making sure I prove it to you guys."

I know very little about Ekeler other than he had a fantastic game against MIA last year.  Is he the kind of guy who can create without an OL? 

Edited by Beck Water

50 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, Simon, you want a better start to a game week thread - I'll give it a go.   Still waiting at the airport for my bushel basket of Corgis, though.

Game as we know is Saturday on Peacock.   Other threads say either Peacock subscription option will do.  #### it and Pee (see what I did there?) on the NFL for all the short week games they give the guys, then they yammer about player safety.

Tues injury list

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/

Seems promising that AJ and Micah both practiced.  Concerned about Floyd's appearance on the list.  McDermott said Jones is unlikely to play and Von was excused for a family funeral.  Phillips had surgery on a dislocated wrist and hopes to be back "if the Bills make the playoffs". 

When, BigJ.  Think these things into existence.

Just Win, Boys.

On the Bolts side, Keenan Allen seems to be the most serious injury on report, DNP

However, Deane Leonard (also DNP with heel) is one of their starting Corners

Reminder Mike Williams on IR

Any other insights?  Put 'em here.

On the Charger's injury front, don't forget that Bosa is out again this week, and their starting Center as well.

No excuses.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10101931-chargers-austin-ekeler-im-still-painting-my-resume-ahead-of-2024-nfl-free-agency

I know very little about Ekeler.  Is he the kind of guy who can create without an OL? 

ekeler has sucked this year. he had an injury early on and I think the addition of Kellen moore hurt him some how 

5 minutes ago, Rubes said:

On the Charger's injury front, don't forget that Bosa is out again this week, and their starting Center as well.

No excuses.

Good points, Thanks.  I was puzzled about the latter then I realized that Corey Linsley has been missing since September with a heart issue!!!!!  Wishing him all the best.  So he's been missing all season. 

Bosa has been on IR for 4 games with what was reported as a "foot sprain", so technically he's eligible to return but I've heard no inklings of it (practice window open etc)

• Beck Water changed the title to Bills at Chargers, Game Week Thread Sat. 8 pm on Peacock (7 pm for us Flyover Folks)
  • Simon pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Noted.  That's what Smartphone "reminders" are for.

That is what single use credit cards are for.  You cancel and not worry about getting through cancelling at some sites which can be deliberately troublesome.  When I worked at Verizon I saw documents about "stall, redirect, disconnect" on people disconnecting service and I experienced it when I tried to cancel after being given deal by sales department "unauthorized".

Just now, NickelCity said:

I'd like to see us continue running the ball especially in the first half. I feel like most of the games we play down to competition, the passing game is disjointed and we have quick 3 and outs. Load up and grind out a couple drives on the ground to settles into the game.

It also wears down DB supporting run.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I'd like to see us continue running the ball especially in the first half. I feel like most of the games we play down to competition, the passing game is disjointed and we have quick 3 and outs. Load up and grind out a couple drives on the ground to settles into the game.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

That is what single use credit cards are for.  You cancel and not worry about getting through cancelling at some sites which can be deliberately troublesome.  When I worked at Verizon I saw documents about "stall, redirect, disconnect" on people disconnecting service and I experienced it when I tried to cancel after being given deal by sales department "unauthorized".

Agreed. Especially with the game that Cook just had, I can't imagine a reasonable excuse to not plan for 15 carries, 3-5 passing targets per game for him (at least a CJ Spiller workload). Take some time, settle us in, establish an attitude and force teams off of their plans of guarding Diggs to open up the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1

A few talking points from Orlovsky:

-no "vertical juice" to their offense, Keenan Allen injured, Mike Williams on IR

-can create a lot of blown coverages, "you see a lot of blown coverages in LA", expects Joe Brady to take advantage of this

-doesn't like to use the four-letter "Q" word, but it's hard to watch the tape of the Raiders game without seeing that there

-Bills need to come out hard and jump on them early to encourage this

you left off the most important talking point - Dan played for many lousy coaches and never noticed an interim coach “bump.”  He also compared the lame duck games to the preseason

19 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I know very little about Ekeler other than he had a fantastic game against MIA last year.  Is he the kind of guy who can create without an OL? 

Should he have done the resume building part before Week 15?

OK, @Simon, you want a better start to a game week thread - I'll give it a go.  

Still waiting at the airport for my bushel basket of Corgis , though.

Thank you, much better.

P.S. When i saw your wish list had changed I canceled the basket of Corgis and got you a pony.

It was too expensive to ship so I just gave him your address and told him you always keep a bucket of rolled oats on the back porch.

Good luck!

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Interim HC Giff Smith presser.  Thoughts?

He is a coach our HC would hire given opportunity.  They would work well together.

Loved advice he got from Chan Galley: All those suggestions and thoughts you had are decisions.  Good luck.

As someone who has taken over broken teams I understand it.

18 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I disagree,  You take what the defense gives you.  If the Chargers saw last week and load the box to stop the run (like what Seattle did in years past) we need to make them pay through the air.

A huge advantage in this game is J Allen >>> E Stick.  Not a mismatch at RB, Ekeler = Cook, and Ekeler is one Charger who isn't going to quit, he's playing for a contract next year.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I haven't watched him this year and I don't know why his numbers are down- I know he had pissed off the organization with his holdout before the season. The Chargers added some incentives to make him happy and it would not be out of character for the Spanos to shoot themselves in the foot by seeking suppression of his carries. In any case he is a tough runner to bring down- very low center of gravity on an already short frame and lots of tackle attempts that would bring down a full-size running back will just slip off of him. I can't tell where the stat comes from on Rotowire "His 3.8 yards after contact per carry ranked second in the league to Nick Chubb's 4.3" so that may be last season, but make no mistake if he's on his game he's a type of runner we have had trouble with. Quicker than fast but difficult to bring to the ground without a focused tackle on the low side.

Edited by AKC

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Good points, Thanks.  I was puzzled about the latter then I realized that Corey Linsley has been missing since September with a heart issue!!!!!  Wishing him all the best.  So he's been missing all season. 

Bosa has been on IR for 4 games with what was reported as a "foot sprain", so technically he's eligible to return but I've heard no inklings of it (practice window open etc)

I thought I heard he needed to be out one more game for IR…

I hate all the bloviating by the talking heads on the sports shows about how suddenly the Bills are playoff bound and maybe the best team in the AFC nobody wants to play them etc. etc. yada yada yada. 

It's all BS. Just beat the Chargers. That's all that matters, all that anybody on this team should care about this week. Shut that noise out, because that's all it is--noise. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.