Dallas @ Buffalo Postgame Thread

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Dallas should be all healed up from whatever bug they had this week. 

I also like Dallas at Miami.  The sidelines shots late in the game were telling. They were humiliated. Their manhood was stolen. They were pissed and i’m sure will have one helluva week of practice.  They will be out to prove they can beat a good team on the road, and Dallas is better than what they showed today, obviously.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

OJ’s highlight reel is jaw-dropping.  He had size, speed, and he could cut on a dime.  Thurman ran lower to the ground and made himself skinny to get through tackles.  They both could catch and neither of them ever seemed to get hit hard.  

I loved them both when they were here.  Hopefully Cook will add his name to that list.  

Yep. I’ve never seen a running back with the kind of elusiveness OJ possessed, let alone combined with his world class speed. At training camp up at Niagara U back in the day, he was time in a sub 4.3 with a stop watch. Crazy stuff at the time, but when you consider he was part of a world record holding 440 relay team in college, it’s really not that surprising. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BRH said:

OJ’s highlight reel is jaw-dropping.  He had size, speed, and he could cut on a dime.  Thurman ran lower to the ground and made himself skinny to get through tackles.  They both could catch and neither of them ever seemed to get hit hard.  

I loved them both when they were here.  Hopefully Cook will add his name to that list.  

Thurman had as good or better vision on the field as OJ. He set up blocks better than any RB in Bills history. 

No one will match OJs combination of speed, size, and power. There are only a few backs in league history that were as physically gifted as OJ. 

Thurman is still my favorite Bill of all time as I started watching in 1980 so I only saw OJ highlights. I loved Cribbs back in the day. I have an affinity for pass catching RBs like Edgerrin James, Tomlinson, and Faulk. 

Cook looks like he has the tools to be that kind of player if he gets the targets.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Unexpected losses happen every week. It will all shake out in our favor. NO WAY that everything goes against us if we win out. These negative scenarios would only play out if we lose 1 of our next 3. 

I agree totally if we win out we are in. I was responding to the need to win out and discussing the prospect of getting in with 7 losses. It's hard to believe a 10-7 won't make it, but at this point unless the Dolphins lose out it is dicey at best for the Bills to get in at 10-7. Easy solution is to go 11-6 where it is almost impossible for the Bills not to get in.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Are people having trouble tonight following the conversation?  OldMan said the Bills haven't had a running performance like that since OJ.  Running.  What difference does it OJ's receiving make in a conversation about Cook's running. 

But, if you want to have a conversation about OJ's receiving ability, he was an excellent receiver.  He was a receiver before he became a running back, and as a receiver with the Bills, he was excellent.  He wasn't targeted as often as Thurman, but his yards per reception were better than Thurman's.  His touchdown production as a receiver was better, on a percentage basis, than Thurman's  

Great as Thurman was, put OJ in the K-gun and the Bills might have won four Super Bowls in a row.  

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

He was fine as a receiver, but simply wasn’t utilized as such very often. Most of the great running backs in that era weren’t really utilized as such. He had a decent YPR average when he was here though. Better than Thurman’s for what it’s worth.

I find these comparisons absurd though. OJ was a legit threat to score from anywhere on the field on every play. If TT had OJ’s world class speed, he would have been, too. But he didn’t and that’s why we never thought TT was gonna break off 80 yard runs with regularity. Whereas we always had that feeling with OJ. You literally felt it in your gut on every run.

First off, OJ Simpson was one of the top 5 running backs of all time.

I love Thurman but he benefitted from being on much better teams than OJ. Thurman played in 21 playoff games. OJ played in 1.

OJ's playoff appearance was in 1974 against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Against the vaunted Steel Curtain Defense he ran for 49 yards on 15 carries. In their next two playoff games en route to the Lombardi Trophy the Steelers gave up 29 yards rushing on 21 carries to the Oakland Raiders in the AFC Championship Game and 17 yards rushing on 21 rushes to the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl. To summarize:

OJ Simpson                         15 carries 49 yards, 3 receptions 37 yards, 1 TD

Oakland                            21 carries 29 yards, zero offensive TDs

Minnesota                        21 carries 17 yards, zero offensive TDs

Oakland + Minnesota      42 carries 46 yards, zero offensive TDs

Cook is stylistically unlike OJ or Thurman but he's more similar to Thurman IMO.

Cook has an explosiveness more similar to OJ but he exhibits the patience and some other traits of Thurman. OJ was not a patient runner... he dictated to the defense. Cook looked like Thurman today, getting small, finding creases, waiting in holes, hiding behind blockers, and then bursting through openings.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

First off, OJ Simpson was one of the top 5 running backs of all time.

I love Thurman but he benefitted from being on much better teams than OJ. Thurman played in 21 playoff games. OJ played in 1.

OJ's playoff appearance was in 1974 against the eventual Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Against the vaunted Steel Curtain Defense he ran for 49 yards on 15 carries. In their next two playoff games en route to the Lombardi Trophy the Steelers gave up 29 yards rushing on 21 carries to the Oakland Raiders in the AFC Championship Game and 17 yards rushing on 21 rushes to the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl. To summarize:

OJ Simpson                         15 carries 49 yards, 3 receptions 37 yards, 1 TD

Oakland                            21 carries 29 yards, zero offensive TDs

Minnesota                        21 carries 17 yards, zero offensive TDs

Oakland + Minnesota      42 carries 46 yards, zero offensive TDs

Cook is stylistically unlike OJ or Thurman but he's more similar to Thurman IMO.

Cook has an explosiveness more similar to OJ but he exhibits the patience and some other traits of Thurman. OJ was not a patient runner... he dictated to the defense. Cook looked like Thurman today, getting small, finding creases, waiting in holes, hiding behind blockers, and then bursting through openings.

I agree with everything here except perhaps the point about OJ not being a patient runner, the implication being that he wasn’t good at setting up his blocks and nothing could be further from the truth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Funny thing is if the Bills win the division it is likely that we play Miami in the WC round for the second year in a row.

There's ways that lines up either way, there's also ways it lines up with whoever loses doesn't go at all.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right.  That was a special performance.   And no, Thurman didn't run like that.   

Cook's not OJ, because OJ was a threat to do it every week.  Still, that was special. 

To me Cook was very much how Thurman ran, slipping through holes and getting more yds than you thought were there - deceptive elusiveness and toughness all in the same run.  The short steps, glide, and "giddyap" so much similar.  Then also factor in the catching out of the backfield.

OJ's style was another level - like a racehorse that could cut on a dime

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I also like Dallas at Miami.  The sidelines shots late in the game were telling. They were humiliated. Their manhood was stolen. They were pissed and i’m sure will have one helluva week of practice.  They will be out to prove they can beat a good team on the road, and Dallas is better than what they showed today, obviously.

I hate to say it, but their penalties definitely turned the game in the bills favor early. The roughing the punter, roughing the passer and the hit on Shakir. Any of those aren’t called, totally different game IMO. That’s how much impact the refs can have on a game

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I hate to say it, but their penalties definitely turned the game in the bills favor early. The roughing the punter, roughing the passer and the hit on Shakir. Any of those aren’t called, totally different game IMO. That’s how much impact the refs can have on a game

I don't totally agree. Yes, there were 3 personal fouls/roughings that extended the Bills offensive drives.

But penalties were not the reason that Dallas couldn't generate any offense all game long.

And the Cowboys inability/unwillingness to stop the run was the biggest factor in the game, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Then you didn't watch Thurman who was an MVP  and an incredible dual threat. OJ was strictly a runner

Actually, in '75 (the 1 yr in his tenure that we had a good/great, balanced attack) OJ caught 7 TDs & averaged like 16 yds/catch!

Edited by eSJayDee
spelling/homonym error
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Are people having trouble tonight following the conversation?  OldMan said the Bills haven't had a running performance like that since OJ.  Running.  What difference does it OJ's receiving make in a conversation about Cook's running. 

But, if you want to have a conversation about OJ's receiving ability, he was an excellent receiver.  He was a receiver before he became a running back, and as a receiver with the Bills, he was excellent.  He wasn't targeted as often as Thurman, but his yards per reception were better than Thurman's.  His touchdown production as a receiver was better, on a percentage basis, than Thurman's  

Great as Thurman was, put OJ in the K-gun and the Bills might have won four Super Bowls in a row.  

OJ was a generational player. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simstim said:

That was so much fun. Been a while since I could relax and enjoy us win

Kudos to Brady for playing the hot hand so well

Kudos to McD for that Defence.

Good stuff

Kudos!

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Cook is a beast, but also because our OL freaking dominated today.  Sure he'd be quick to call that out.  James has really turned into a dynamic weapon for us.

Doesn't matter that the pass game was MEH, when we can run at will.  But alot of drives aided/continued by Dallas penalties.  Obviously take it, but we need to execute a bit better ourselves.  Only knock, otherwise dominant 

I guess this is what Coach calls "complimentary" football.  Run game/ball control/get early lead/defense clamps down.   Awesome job by the coaches and defense, holding a premier offense to basically zilch.

I think you meant "Jimbo"!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I don't totally agree. Yes, there were 3 personal fouls/roughings that extended the Bills offensive drives.

But penalties were not the reason that Dallas couldn't generate any offense all game long.

And the Cowboys inability/unwillingness to stop the run was the biggest factor in the game, IMO. 

I think both are true. The refs calls definitely helped the Bills. I thought the roughing the passer call was a gift by the refs. The other 2 calls in question were legitimate. 

Yes, the Bills run game was very key to the Bills success. 

Edited by newcam2012

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I didn't even notice this in game when Parsons got hurt.  NM the homer Dallas fan calling our guy dirty.  He was thrown into Parsons by Dallas own player.

If the dumb dude wanted to push that false narrative he should have started the clip a second or two later lol

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Don't think both Buffalo and Miami are making the playoffs. Bills could still win out and not get in believe it or not.

I think both Buffalo and Miami get into the Playoffs. The Miami Dolphins are going to win the AFC East and then lose to the Buffalo Bills in Wildcard Game at Miami in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just now, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I think both Buffalo and Miami get into the Playoffs. The Miami Dolphins are going to win the AFC East and then lose to the Buffalo Bills in Wildcard Game at Miami in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It would somehow be fitting for the Dolphins to end up being AFC East Champions but lose to the Bills 3 times.

• Agree 1

Watching the highlights - was reminded one big play was when Diggs actually fumbled going down for 1st down catch, but the Bills got up super fast and ran a play before it could be challenged.  How many times in my life I've screamed "Snap the ball! Snap the ball!!!!" in those situations to no avail.  That was huge heads up and fast executon to get that play off - and I daresay good coaching/preparedness.

The other thing that it seems never goes our way is a roughing the punter - I can't even remember when we were on the receiving end of it (can't believe that dude missed the ball wth)

Oh - and besides the Bills it's tough watching highlights for all these other games that teams that could have helped the Bills choked away ☹️...

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

Watching the highlights - was reminded one big play was when Diggs actually fumbled going down for 1st down catch, but the Bills got up super fast and ran a play before it could be challenged.  How many times in my life I've screamed "Snap the ball! Snap the ball!!!!" in those situations to no avail.  That was huge heads up and fast executon to get that play off - and I daresay good coaching/preparedness.

The other thing that it seems never goes our way is a roughing the punter - I can't even remember when we were on the receiving end of it (can't believe that dude missed the ball wth)

Sam Martin despite his dying leg made a heads up play making sure he got that out before he got destroyed, real team player that I sadly don't really want on the team next year.

3 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Snapping the ball before they found out it was a fumble may have been the biggest under the radar play of the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The patience and vision that James Cook ran with today was something to behold and was on another level from anything I’ve seen from him before.

If that’s an indication of how’s he’s going to run going forward, he could potentially be the best back we’ve had since Thurman. I’m not even talking about his receiving ability. It pisses me off that Dorsey hamstrung him for a year and a half. Seriously, I get pissed thinking about it.

Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not really - he was having a pretty terrible game before the score forced Dallas to become one dimensional.

What ? He’s been good all year. I’ve been blasted all year in supporting him.. he got jocked by a couple scrambling qb’s but he’s been solid. Milano is super missed but 25 has been a positive surprise. 

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

All were penalties… just like Rapp with the hot to Dak.. JA flop or not you can’t push the qb post throw. Zero controversy on any of the 3. But yes big plays.

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Rapp had a decent game, and that PF called on him was totally bogus. I loved the agression he showed there...."Kill the QB" whenever & wherever you can. On that play, Dak was FIVE YARDS past the 1st down marker and could have easily run out of bounds, but he didn't. He turned left, toward the middle of the field, looking to gain even more yards, but then he saw Rapp flying toward him, AND AT THE LAST MOMENT he slid down. It was impossible for Rapp to put on the brakes.

And the 2nd roughing the passer call (can't remember if it was called on Dodson or Benford or someone else) on Dak was even worse, as he was nowhere near in a slide.

Like I have half jokingly said in this forum before, put a pink skirt on QBs, and make them able to be downed by two hand touch.

PS - the RTP call that Josh got was also a gift from the refs, and it is apparent he has been taking some acting lessons with Hailee. LOL

Both late hit more good calls. Rapp made contact with Dak’s helmet while trying to avoid. Silly play ( Rapp was great overall).. and Dodson was helmet to helmet so good call. The roughing on JA was obvious as well.So I was fine with all those calls.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

Actually, in '75 (the 1 yr in his tenure that we had a good/great, balanced attack) OJ caught 7 TDs & averaged like 16 yds/catch!

OJ would be a WR if he was coming out of college right now…a rich man’s Deebo Samuel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LarryMadman said:

Don't think both Buffalo and Miami are making the playoffs. Bills could still win out and not get in believe it or not.

This narrative is killing me…like yes technically you are correct that we can win out and not make it but it is a 1 in thousands chance.  Any one of the below happening gets us in at 11 wins:

any jags loss

Any bengals loss

and colts loss

any Baltimore win 

Miami losing to one of Dallas/baltimore

Cleveland losing to Houston or nyj

We’d need like 10 games to all go perfectly against us to not get in

if cincy loses to pit Saturday we instantly control our own destiny before our game is even played 

Miami is likely making it even if they lose out

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.