PFF indicating the Bills made a brilliant trade when they landed Rasul Douglas - PFF WAR

BuffaloBill

14 hours ago, realtruelove said:

Maybe I missed the explanation in a previous thread but I'm curious why Green Bay would be willing to part with a premier cornerback mid season.  Are they loaded with a talented young secondary? 

I think they wanted draft capital and Rasul is as scheme fit. It’s like he is a perfect fit for the Bills system and style.

Thought he handled AJ brown really well - didn’t feel that brown made that much difference 

thought he played exceptional last week as well

now let’s shut down CD Lamb and make dak think - I know we aren’t ranked HIGH on defense but we really figured out something to frustrate teams as of late imo

so - let’s keep building this week and tighten up even more!

14 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I never wanted to believe it, but an Achilles is one of the worst injuries in the NFL, and he may have sunsetted from the NFL.  I’m not quick to throw out a previous all pro, but how many catastrophic injuries can he survive?

Guns, I try to be optimistic, but boy...and I am sorry to be that guy...it is just whether he can comeback and we all hope that he does but at what cost?

It is the fact that this is a hobbled guy that has a fairly large impact on your cap.

If you were to sign him or he was a young guy on a 3-4 million per deal, sure.

However, I believe he is $16 million plus on next year's cap and we are underwater already.  

Are we going to bonus or frontload because we believe he is here long term? (sarcasm)

Again, I am sorry, but this is such a tough one.

Go Bills, but God bless Tre.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I never wanted to believe it, but an Achilles is one of the worst injuries in the NFL, and he may have sunsetted from the NFL.  I’m not quick to throw out a previous all pro, but how many catastrophic injuries can he survive?

Maybe he can move to Safety. Less speed required there.

42 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Maybe he can move to Safety. Less speed required there.

Just my opinion here, but:

A) I wouldn't want to pay a safety that much as White is due with the current contract.

B) I don't think White is a good enough tackler to transition to safety well. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Someone remind me what we gave up for Douglas.

We gave the Pack our 3rd round pick, they gave us their 5th round pick and Douglas. 

So we basically dropped back around 50 spots, and got a #1 cb. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Add in the Floyd acquisition and Beane has done very good work bolstering the Defense this season,

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think there are decent odds that we do that. Because of the trade, Douglas' last year of his contract is entirely non-guaranteed. The Bills have excellent leverage to actually decrease his cap hit next year by signing him to an extension.

I don't know if Tre is completely gone, but I think we need to accept that even if he makes it back next year he absolutely not be at 100% speed. Losing him is a real possibility and he'll be an effective #2 at least for another year.

You mentioned in another post that we might extend him (I assume to get his cap number down?).  I wouldnt mess with his number next year as its very favorable at 9 mil.  I would consider guaranteeing that number and give him a few non guaranteed years on the back end.  At 30 I am expecting a cliff in the near future but his contract for next year looks great.

20 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Unless I am wrong, the Bills do not get that much cap space for cutting him. From quick math, I think that the gains of even a half season injury settlement would effectively be swallowed by the looming dead cap. 

So, do we lose a veteran and open a hole for $10 of cap space in 2025? Or do we muddle and use him as depth in a platoon of Douglas, Benford and Elam?

Agree that cutting next year may not be the right path cause it only saves $6 mil.  Liked a lot of your work in this thread.  Thanks.

This is the type of thing that gives me pause in dumping McD.  Guys like Rasul, and many of our other defenders, are pretty scheme specific.  We really want to blow this all up and potentially do a massive defensive rebuild in Allen's prime?

Get the OC right, and don't have a ridiculous amount of injuries, and I think we'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Just my opinion here, but:

A) I wouldn't want to pay a safety that much as White is due with the current contract.

B) I don't think White is a good enough tackler to transition to safety well. 

Agree,  George Wilson transitioned to safety well getting interception vs Cowpokes in first game..

I wonder in Davis could transition.

21 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Tre White replacement 😢

Tre White will be here next season. Nothing to worry about

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I'll say it, he is an upgrade from Tre. 

Not from the way Tre was playing before he went down again. He was basically back to form

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Tre White will be here next season. Nothing to worry about

Not from the way Tre was playing before he went down again. He was basically back to form

Nothing to worry about with Tre???? Back to back major injuries is definitely something to worry about. I thought he was just getting back to his old self and then he had this happen. 

it is going to be a long road back for him physically and mentally. If there is ever a position that you can’t slip physically, it’s cornerback. This sucks for him. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Nothing to worry about with Tre???? Back to back major injuries is definitely something to worry about. I thought he was just getting back to his old self and then he had this happen. 

it is going to be a long road back for him physically and mentally. If there is ever a position that you can’t slip physically, it’s cornerback. This sucks for him. 

There's nothing to worry about as far as him being here. I didn't say there is nothing to worry about with him physically 

• Disagree 1

23 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Legally, we can't. (or at least there are some severe problems with it). 

Tre can't be cut until he passes a physical. Until then, he can only be released via injury settlement, which doesn't allow him to sign back with the same team until the next year (effectively).

So either

• He passes a physical and is good to go week 1 just for us to force him to sign a new contract that we have very little leverage on
  • He passes a physical week 1 and we just work him in knowing he's not at 100%
  • We place him on IR and pay him anyway to do nothing and hope he can be rotated in at some capacity during the season
  • We work an injury settlement, take $10 million in dead cap and $6 million in savings and make a roster hole that needs to be filled

These are not a load of great options.

We really don't get much cap space for 2024 by cutting him. More than half his money would be dead cap.

Maybe we rip off the band aid, but it's cutting former Pro Bowl player or trading him on the cheap for very little immediate return without much in the pipeline. 

Maybe that's the best we can get, like I said there aren't really any *great* options but I am not saying he's done yet

Then he'll be released with an injury settlement. That dead cap hit was going to be taken on regardless. Yes, it would only save 6 million this year. But in the shape we're in we'll need any help we can get. And there's more than just next season to account for. He has another 16 million cap hit in 2025.

As for the hole in the roster, it's already been replaced with the Rasul Douglas trade. Douglas, Benford, Johnson, Elam, and Neal are all under contract next season.

On 12/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, colin said:

douglas and josheph coming in and bing day one upgrades who improve our entire D makes me wonder about the other guys we pay money too on our roster.

D jones is nasty, but the DTs behind him are really below replacement.  

we trotted levi wallace out as cb2 for how many games?  

I like Lawson and of course Floyd, but Settle, Addison, Poona Ford aren't contributing much. I keep thinking about how Beane might have put the money he's spending on them, together with Harty's salary, and spent it on DeAndre Hopkins. The numbers probably don't add up, though. Ford especially was cheap. Plus, who would replace them? 

I'm just lamenting that our wide receiver depth is so thin. Diggs and.... crickets. Shakier is the only bright spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Guns, I try to be optimistic, but boy...and I am sorry to be that guy...it is just whether he can comeback and we all hope that he does but at what cost?

It is the fact that this is a hobbled guy that has a fairly large impact on your cap.

If you were to sign him or he was a young guy on a 3-4 million per deal, sure.

However, I believe he is $16 million plus on next year's cap and we are underwater already.  

Are we going to bonus or frontload because we believe he is here long term? (sarcasm)

Again, I am sorry, but this is such a tough one.

Go Bills, but God bless Tre.

Amen Donuts as I hate these circumstances

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, transient said:

FIFY. Don't forget Hyde.

yeah, that’s why I made the comment.  Hyde and Douglas!!

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

None of this should be a surprise. His value was clear when the trade was made and those of us who were aware of him, knew this was a great addition.

I thought he would be good, this good has been a pleasant surprise.  

52 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

None of this should be a surprise. His value was clear when the trade was made and those of us who were aware of him, knew this was a great addition.

Yeah, but it’s one of those occasions where the fit looked so perfect on paper you just knew you were in for a letdown. 

No letdown, it’s a rare thing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.