Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They published it now because the current climate will foster the most reads and discussion. It's a "kick them while they're down" mentality or maybe more appropriately a "pour gasoline on the fire" mentality, but it's not about derailing the team. It's about getting the most business.

You wait until the team is already derailing/losing and the media market is in a frenzy, and then you release the article. Not the other way around. 

Agree and disagree.

This is going to generate clicks/business whenever it gets released.

It becomes a bigger distraction in season, when the team is still in a playoff race.

That's the "agenda" that Dunne has, is getting Sean fired

1 minute ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Disagree. I didn’t come away thinking there was a ton of passion. Felt like something he felt he had to say.

He clearly didn't have to say anything. No one else has said much of anything. He was objectively 100% supportive by his own free will. It's not arguable for me.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not to me

Not for a guy who's been here from the beginning. That was as tepid as could be from Hyde imo

Well, everyone has a wrong opinion sometimes.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Hyde was clearly enthusiastic in support. He was the only one we've heard who was considerably enthusiastic.

It's hardly been a wellspring of support.  Again, the silence from the big name offensive players is deafening.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree and disagree.

This is going to generate clicks/business whenever it gets released.

It becomes a bigger distraction in season, when the team is still in a playoff race.

That's the "agenda" that Dunne has, is getting Sean fired

Maybe that is his agenda. But he'll be much more successful in achieving that goal (and the business will profit more) when the team is already derailing/losing. The circumstances dictate when you take your shot. That's all I'm saying.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

He clearly didn't have to say anything. No one else has said much of anything. He was objectively 100% supportive by his own free will. It's not arguable for me.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. Maybe as a defensive captain he felt compelled, particularly as nobody else seems to be rushing forward. As someone else said, for a guy who’s been here 6-7 years under McD, It felt like he was going through the motions and saying the minimum expected.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Agreed. A large dose of truth, otherwise the story would have died )quietly in interweb). Bill Belacheat has complaints, he just shrugs them off: “tough, that’s me”. Boy, would great to hear a drunk Daboll. 

McD simply isn’t comfortable in his own skin or with his own decisions :13, :20, 12 men

This. The insecurity from McD is palpable.

I think there are plenty of other coaches who are far more comfortable in their own skin (Belichick, Carroll, Rex, McDaniel, McVay, etc) who if a story such as this 9/11 speech leaked would meet the press and laugh it off like "Yeah, hey, us coaches have to make a LOT of speeches and they can't all be winners. I used a horrible analogy in my 2nd training camp as a still-new coach, and sure learned a lesson there, haha. We still laugh about it around the office to this day."

OWNING mistakes is how you get people to move past them. A bit of self-deprecation can actually get people on your side. All this apologizing and explaining and excusing and re-explaining, and making up stuff about losing loved ones in the attack... just keeps the fire alive and digs a deeper hole.

But he isnt secure enough to do that. And it shows in this situation, and on the field, and with the players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Just now, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

I guess we have to agree to disagree. Maybe as a defensive captain he felt compelled, particularly as nobody else seems to be rushing forward. As someone else said, for a guy who’s been here 6-7 years under McD, It felt like he was going through the motions and saying the minimum expected.

Eh, you're trying hard to read into it and spin it a certain way when it's not even necessary. He's the one guy who was clearly 100% supportive by his own free will. I agree that it might be concerning he's the only one who spoke up in that way. But his reaction indicates he's clearly in full support of McDermott. That much is not arguable.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Eh, you're trying hard to read into it and spin it a certain way when it's not even necessary. He's the one guy who was clearly 100% supportive by his own free will. I agree that it might be concerning he's the only one who spoke up in that way. But his reaction indicates he's clearly in full support of McDermott. That much is not arguable.

Here’s the thing though…it is arguable. Matter of fact, we’re arguing it right now. Not worth belaboring the point. Agree to disagree. 

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's hardly been a wellspring of support.  Again, the silence from the big name offensive players is deafening.  

@CaliBills

You posted a red-x of disagreement with the above.  Just curious, what do you disagree with?  

Did I miss unequivocal statements by Allen, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, Davis, Knox, Cook, Kincaid, etc. downplaying it?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

and yet the NFL never said a word about it.

So what, we dodged a bullet so it shouldn't be addressed? Other teams weren't as lucky, and it was the entire WR room.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If that article is the best example of players supporting McD, then McD is sunk. And all this article talks about is McD again addressing his 9/11 speech with the team.

Ok, so Hyde, which we already knew. Let's see what the Offensive players have to say in pouring out support and love for their coach...

Nothing major from Sherfield there other than stating the obvious. We know McD doesnt support terrorism.

How about from the rook...

Hmm, how about from the vet Latavius Murray...

Ok, so a whole lot of talking about McD again addressing the speech from 2019. But not a single quote about how wrong the article is, and nothing about it misrepresenting McD or how the players feel.

Maybe they just weren't asked the right question. But I've had great bosses/leaders and if something like this came out about them, I would be front and center to whoever would listen railing against the BS.

Reid Ferguson had the most supportive quote

The point of the meeting as it's been described was to clarify things for the players that weren't with the team at the time, the ones that had been here he'd already done that with immediatly after making the mistake. So all these comments make a lot of sense from that perspective.

38 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure I agree with that.  If I loved my boss and I was the face of the company... I'd be giving my support in this situation.  My guess is that Josh will speak on it after the pr team tells him what to say.  Maybe I am wrong but I dunno, I just feel like thats what I would do.  I would never let anyone slander someone I care about and not say *****.

I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking from Allen or even Diggs is that the response should be on Sunday. Hell they're bound to get interviewed after the game anyway.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This. The insecurity from McD is palpable.

I think there are plenty of other coaches who are far more comfortable in their own skin (Belichick, Carroll, Rex, McDaniel, McVay, etc) who if a story such as this 9/11 speech leaked would meet the press and laugh it off like "Yeah, hey, us coaches have to make a LOT of speeches and they can't all be winners. I used a horrible analogy in my 2nd training camp as a still-new coach, and sure learned a lesson there, haha. We still laugh about it around the office to this day."

OWNING mistakes is how you get people to move past them. A bit of self-deprecation can actually get people on your side. All this apologizing and explaining and excusing and re-explaining, and making up stuff about losing loved ones in the attack... just keeps the fire alive and digs a deeper hole.

But he isnt secure enough to do that. And it shows in this situation, and on the field, and with the players.

Belichick would laugh it off with the media? Drop a couple “haha’s?”

have we officially spun off the planet?

1 minute ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Ok, argue, debate, whatever synonym you choose frame the exchange, your opinion is not indisputable nor is it fact. I think we’re good here. 

There are no synonyms or opinions from my end on this. I'm just stating the fact and using the same words you use in order to avoid confusion.

I am going to post below part of an email that Dunne sent to people who subsribed.  I don't believe this breaks any ToS here nor any copywrite laws because it's not a published news piece or anything like that.  If I am wrong on that then mods feel free to delete this post and correct me.  It's not much but he does make some comments on the timing of the article so I thought people should hear it.  I am not giving my opinion on it.  Just delivering it.  Make of it what you will.

Greetings.

Quiet 48 hours, eh? Figured I’d check in to say hello.

On Thursday, we posted a three-part series — “The McDermott Problem” — that has generated interest and, reflecting a bit here, I first want to thank you.

In a world where a large number of people would rather slop around in the social-media pigsty, you are making Go Long part of your life. You are carving out valuable time in your life to read more than 20,000 words about a football team. I never take that for granted. The goal of this site — since Day 1 — has been to dive deeper, to find NFL stories beyond the podium. Because if anybody deserves to know how this league truly works, it’s those who make the NFL a multi-billion-dollar business. That’s always at the forefront of my mind running this business.

The Buffalo Bills are a contender with an all-galaxy quarterback whose Super Bowl window has been closing since “13 seconds.” I wanted to figure why. So, over the course of this season, I’ve chatted with players and coaches and personnel. Many spoke on the record. As you saw, a handful of named players did have positive things to say about their head coach. Many other sources requested anonymity to freely discuss life as they saw it at One Bills Drive. On a project like this, that’s how much truth is gleaned.

A quick note on “timing.” We discussed Thursday night on the Happy Hour, too, but in a nutshell: The series was posted this week because the series was completed this week. It was not finished after the Cincinnati loss or the Denver loss. And, as written, the loss at Philadelphia appeared to encapsulate this era of football under Sean McDermott. At 6-6, the Bills are now at a crucial crossroads.

I loved getting to meet so many new readers on our Happy Hour. If you all have more questions, more thoughts or simply want to hang out, let me know in the comments and we’ll fire up another Zoom next week.

Below are all three stories in one spot. There’s a lot to unpack from the workplace environment, to how exactly a “tight” coach creates a tight team, to what really happened that night at Arrowhead, to everything Josh Allen and why maximizing the quarterback should be Priority No. 1. Hopefully this helps explain what you’ve been seeing on Sundays.

Everyone have a great weekend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Well, everyone has a wrong opinion sometimes.

I'm not saying this to make anyone mad or be provocative. But I don't think I've been wrong on McDermott since he lost me at 13seconds. People got big mad when I called him a fraud this off-season. That word has now been revealed to be used liberally in description of him. People got big mad after week4 when I said he wasn't very bright. That's almost unequivocally true at this point. Is there confirmation bias wrt this article and how I've viewed McDermott for the last 2 years, absolutely. But it rings 100% dead center accurate to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So what, we dodged a bullet so it shouldn't be addressed? Other teams weren't as lucky, and it was the entire WR room.

We dodged a bullet because there was no bullet to dodge.  The NFL loves its fine money.  If there was a violation they would have at the very least spoke on it.  There was nothing.  No media about it.  No word from the NFL.  Absolutely nothing.  When the Titans had practice outside their facility when they shouldn't have been, it was all over the news everywhere.  The team did nothing wrong.  Had they of, the NFL would have done something.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking from Allen or even Diggs is that the response should be on Sunday. Hell they're bound to get interviewed after the game anyway.

I just dunno.  I don't really even want to guess.  All I can say is what I would do in that situation.  I would have spoke up and defended my coach if it was me and we had a good relationship.  If I didn't have a good relationship, I would probably say nothing.  So far we have seen nothing.  Thing is that the longer they don't say anything the more I am going to think it's just PR that tells them what to say.  

I will say this... I said this way long ago in this thread... I get the timing of the article but I don't like it. Only because I don't want our team being distracted by it.  Game is too huge for it.  Maybe they haven't said anything because they don't want to be distracted, I don't know.  All I know is they haven't said anything as of yet.  I don't want to make guesses on why.

39 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Hyde was clearly enthusiastic in support. He was the only one we've heard who was considerably enthusiastic.

Why wouldn't it be McDermott has been singing the praises of what a great defense it has been all year while throwing the offense under the bus.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just read the second part and it is pretty depressing.  My biggest takeaway is McDermott has a lot of good qualities to organize and instill discipline, but he’s so uptight and so bad in pressure situations, it’s hard to see the Bills ever winning a championship with him.  

I am definitely pro-Bills and generally give the benefit of the doubt to everything associated with the team, but the evidence presented aligns with the problems we have all seen in late game situations. 

The overwhelming evidence of McDermott’s demeanor and decisions far outweighs all the discussions in this thread about players buying trucks for coaches and ill-advised speeches. Sean is tight and fails under pressure. 

I have very limited inside info but do have access to a current Bill who recently signed.  He basically has not liked any of his head coaches, except one.  All he will say about Sean is “he only cares about defense”. My takeaway from that is most head coaches are unlikeable personally but their ability to lead players to play their best trumps all the other stuff. I’m doubtful Sean has that ability, in fact he has a penchant for bringing out the worst in his team at crunch time. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Based on his reaction saying how hurt he was by reading it, my guess is very few if any of the sources actually said any of this to his face in a constructive way, but just a guess. 

Or, a couple did like Daboll, but McD tuned it out and pretended it’s his way or the highway.  He could be that tone deaf in reading a room.

6 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I just read the second part and it is pretty depressing.  My biggest takeaway is McDermott has a lot of good qualities to organize and instill discipline, but he’s so uptight and so bad in pressure situations, it’s hard to see the Bills ever winning a championship with him.  

I am definitely pro-Bills and generally give the benefit of the doubt to everything associated with the team, but the evidence presented aligns with the problems we have all seen in late game situations. 

The overwhelming evidence of McDermott’s demeanor and decisions far outweighs all the discussions in this thread about players buying trucks for coaches and ill-advised speeches. Sean is tight and fails under pressure. 

I have very limited inside info but do have access to a current Bill who recently signed.  He basically has not liked any of his head coaches, except one.  All he will say about Sean is “he only cares about defense”. My takeaway from that is most head coaches are unlikeable personally but their ability to lead players to play their best trumps all the other stuff. I’m doubtful Sean has that ability, in fact he has a penchant for bringing out the worst in his team at crunch time. 

All he cares about is defense???  Wow I'm gobsmacked.😜

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why wouldn't it be McDermott has been singing the praises of what a great defense it has been all year while throwing the offense under the bus.

His position on the Defense uber alles also explains perfectly why precious few top personnel resources have been spent to address our offense after Allen got here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

Keep in mind this guy Tyler Dunne hosted a podcast with Isaiah McKenzie. They were very close. I smell a rat 🐀

He’s so well respected lol, he’s from Bleacher Report!

17 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Your contact sounds like a team cancer, which is hilarious for an obvious journeyman who has had lots of HC’s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For the people wondering why more players aren't rushing to defend McD...... I know I had lot's of coaches who we thought said or did dumb things.......but when someone from the outside attacks the leader of your team,  that's personal.   We can joke amongst ourselves but that doesn't fly from outsiders.   But the more the players might try to excuse it by discussing the matter publicly........the less it becomes an "us against detractors" motivational tool.   So I think we will see if the team feels that way about McD.  I do think Dunne intended to kick dirt on McD while he was down to help sell subscriptions........but I do think the timing was pretty good to inspire the team to come together if it's possible with this group.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

This is going to hurt, but you’re not as good at reading people as you think you are. 

McDaniel is an absolute fraud. McDermott is authentic. 

What you’re perceiving is a wall that McDermott puts up in front of the blood hungry media. And now you see why. They’ll devour you the second you’re down. 

You’re a good poster, but now I’ll be second guessing your posts. REALLY bad take. And I’m someone who does a good bit of people reading in my career as well. 

😂😂😂😂😂

Keep in mind this guy Tyler Dunne hosted a podcast with Isaiah McKenzie. They were very close. I smell a rat 🐀

Did you actually read the three pieces? 

Here's another angle.  

Players typically don't say a whole lot of negative things about former coaches and teammates, because they want continued employement.  So the question why they'd do it here springs up.  

Buffalo is a special place with a special set of fans.  The region itself is unlike any other in the league.  That seems to translate itself to the players (and coaches) on the team.  

It's clear from having read all three parts of that series that even the ex-players here have formed strong friendships with some of the current players and keep in touch, and given Allen, really want them to ultimately succeed under Allen.  A good many of the interviews seem to be from the angle of it's not fair to the players that their own coach is holding them down.  

They want to see their friends and former teammates that they're close with win one, AND feel the same for us Bills fans.  Hence, their speaking up.  

Just sayin'.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Perfectly said and 100% true. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

They published it now because the current climate will foster the most reads and discussion. It's a "kick them while they're down" mentality or maybe more appropriately a "pour gasoline on the fire" mentality, but it's not about derailing the team. It's about getting the most business.

You wait until the team is already derailing/losing and the media market is in a frenzy, and then you release the article. Not the other way around. 

I understand and actually agree with your distinction.

But while the motivation may have  been to gain the most business, the impact could well be to distract McDermott and derail the team.

And from a guy who has in the past leaned into cred as a WNY 'native son', that's hard for me (a lifelong and unabashed Bills fan) to take.  I'm actually torn, because in the past I've really respected pieces Ty Dunne has done and I admired his enterpreneurial spirit starting "Go Long".  But I've also had reason to question his methods and the quality of his sources at times, too.

This is an interesting piece from a respected journalist Ty Dunne once worked for as an intern, which gives some detail about Dunne's training and background as a journalist, which are...solid. 

As Pollack points out:

It should be noted, Dunne is no longer a member of the Bills media corps. He’s not credentialed by the team … no game-day access to the press box nor the media room during the week.  Technically, he’s not a member of the press, but rather a private entrepreneur.  That’s what makes his pieces so impressive … all those interviews were tracked down off-site with cooperative sources. But he also had one advantage … he didn’t have to name them. 

Had Tyler worked for a newspaper, no way would that amount of anonymous sources, if any, have appeared in print. There would be overwhelming concern about liability issues.  Dunne bet on himself and his confidence that those sources were beyond credible, despite their understandable request for anonymity.

It's actually an interesting bet, because there are potential liability issues there.

I think this has been linked here, but in 2016 at Bleacher Report, Dunne did a rather damning piece on Aaron Rodgers:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2676645-can-aaron-rodgers-be-the-type-of-leader-the-packers-need

It contained stuff like this:

Jermichael Finley, a former tight end with the Packers, (...)  flat out said Rodgers "wasn't put on Earth to lead."

"In my opinion, he's a different guy," Finley said. "I didn't really know how he showed his leadership. He wasn't a vocal guy. He really wasn't a hands-on guy. To tell you the truth, it was all about his game and his stats in my opinion. ... He was a guy that kept it all in. He kept grudges close to his chest. If you did something, he never really let it go. He always kept it close to his heart.

"I just don't think he was a natural-born leader. He wasn't put on Earth to lead."

Finley wasn't finished there, either. He also said Rodgers "is so scared" of various players and "goes into his little shell" when things go wrong before calling Rodgers "self-centered." Yikes.

"But Aaron Rodgers is so scared of what guys are going to say that he doesn't say nothing at all," Finley said. "He doesn't get vocal. He goes into his little shell. He's not a guy who hangs out with the fellas. He's real self-centered."

Finley put his name on these criticisms of Rodgers, but not everyone in Dunne's story did. An anonymous source "close to the quarterback" called the Packers superstar a "f---ing head case" who is "so arrogant and prideful that he thinks he can separate his personal life from his professional life."

The full, scorched-earth quote from Dunne's article:

"There's no explanation for him playing any worse," said the source, who wished to speak under the condition of anonymity. "People are trying to figure it out. He's a !@#$ head case. He knows he's doing the wrong thing, and he's so arrogant and prideful that he thinks he can separate his personal life from his professional life, even though all of us know that's impossible. You can't do that. You can do that in little spurts, like when Brett Favre went out and played amazingly when he loses his Dad. But when you're talking about real situations that aren't all of a sudden circumstantial and you !@#$ over good people, people you're supposed to love, it's a s--tty thing to do and you're going to get humbled.

"You can't live like that, man. The people who live like that end up getting f--ked over. That's kind of what's happening here, but he's so prideful and will never admit he's wrong. Ever."

It's worth noting that since that 2016 piece damning Rodgers as an arrogant self centered prideful prick who can't lead appeared, Rodgers has had 4 pro-bowl appearances (FWIW), two 1st team AP all-pro (means a lot more), and two "League MVP". Green Bay went on to appear in two Conference championships and a Division round, but did not reach another SuperBowl.  (I thought one of the conference championships was heavily influenced by the referees to favor Brady)

Rodgers, of course, was not pleased by the piece and referred to it as a "smear attack".  Similar to this recent piece, it contained some incidents which are probably factual and accurately recounted, some opinion and interpretation of those instances (with some anonymous sources), and Dunne's interpretation or slant.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Did you actually read the three pieces? 

Here's another angle.  

Players typically don't say a whole lot of negative things about former coaches and teammates, because they want continued employement.  So the question why they'd do it here springs up.  

Buffalo is a special place with a special set of fans.  The region itself is unlike any other in the league.  That seems to translate itself to the players (and coaches) on the team.  

It's clear from having read all three parts of that series that even the ex-players here have formed strong friendships with some of the current players and keep in touch, and given Allen, really want them to ultimately succeed under Allen.  A good many of the interviews seem to be from the angle of it's not fair to the players that their own coach is holding them down.  

They want to see their friends and former teammates that they're close with win one, AND feel the same for us Bills fans.  Hence, their speaking up.  

Just sayin'.  

I read the article and watched all the Interviews he has done since. Very sketchy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If that article is the best example of players supporting McD, then McD is sunk. And all this article talks about is McD again addressing his 9/11 speech with the team.

Ok, so Hyde, which we already knew. Let's see what the Offensive players have to say in pouring out support and love for their coach...

Nothing major from Sherfield there other than stating the obvious. We know McD doesnt support terrorism.

How about from the rook...

Hmm, how about from the vet Latavius Murray...

Ok, so a whole lot of talking about McD again addressing the speech from 2019. But not a single quote about how wrong the article is, and nothing about it misrepresenting McD or how the players feel.

Maybe they just weren't asked the right question. But I've had great bosses/leaders and if something like this came out about them, I would be front and center to whoever would listen railing against the BS.

Reid Ferguson had the most supportive quote

Yeah that article if anything looks worse for McDermott IMO. The team is not rallying around him. Everyone interviewed clearly feels awkward and is trying to find the right words to describe such a bizarre event.

I don't think the players on the roster outright hate him at this point, but I do think they are just tolerating him.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

He WAS from Bleacher Report until they laid him off. :lol:

I have a little bit of knowledge with the situation, unless I missed something, he was incredibly popular so he decided to break from there to attempt to make some money for his work, as he should do, like anyone.  

Do you have some info that they banned him and told him not to return?  

I read the article and watched all the Interviews he has done since. Very sketchy. 

Well, the article was actually three lengthy pieces.  

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I understand and actually agree with your distinction.

But while the motivation may have  been to gain the most business, the impact could well be to distract McDermott and derail the team.

And from a guy who has in the past leaned into cred as a WNY 'native son', that's hard for me (a lifelong and unabashed Bills fan) to take.  I'm actually torn, because in the past I've really respected pieces Ty Dunne has done and I admired his enterpreneurial spirit starting "Go Long".  But I've also had reason to question his methods and the quality of his sources at times, too.

This is an interesting piece from a respected journalist Ty Dunne once worked for as an intern, which gives some detail about Dunne's training and background as a journalist, which are...solid. 

As Pollack points out:

It's actually an interesting bet, because there are potential liability issues there.

I think this has been linked here, but in 2016 at Bleacher Report, Dunne did a rather damning piece on Aaron Rodgers:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2676645-can-aaron-rodgers-be-the-type-of-leader-the-packers-need

It contained stuff like this:

It's worth noting that since that 2016 piece damning Rodgers as an arrogant self centered prideful prick who can't lead appeared, Rodgers has had 4 pro-bowl appearances (FWIW), two 1st team AP all-pro (means a lot more), and two "League MVP". Green Bay went on to appear in two Conference championships and a Division round, but did not reach another SuperBowl.  (I thought one of the conference championships was heavily influenced by the referees to favor Brady)

Rodgers, of course, was not pleased by the piece and referred to it as a "smear attack".  Similar to this recent piece, it contained some incidents which are probably factual and accurately recounted, some opinion and interpretation of those instances (with some anonymous sources), and Dunne's interpretation or slant.

Just like that piece, there’s enough smoke to think there’s something there, but too much anonymity and too many of those sources trying far too hard to support Dunne’s thesis.

I stand by its a little bit of a hatchet job

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Interesting to me how folks material I recognize as overtly critical of Allen will go to the mat for McDermott

it weirdly lends some secondhand credence to the articles point about their HC/QB relationship or lack thereof

This honestly, makes no sense at all.  Sorry.

1) criticizing a self-published "pay to view" article which appears to be a mixture of fact, observation, and Dunne's slanted interpretation quilted together from anonymous sources is not the same thing as "going to the mat" for McDermott (which I take to mean defend him, no matter what)

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't recognize the difference, because historically, when someone defends a player, coach etc from what appears to be over-the-top or unjustified criticism, others here will call them "lovers" "fanboys" "defenders" blah blah.  The nuance that one can simultaneously perceive faults or accurately critique while objecting to exaggeration, slant, or bias appears lost, and I could be mis-remembering but I believe you're one of the people it's lost on.

2) one can critique Allen, like any player, and simultaneously be willing to also defend him against what appears to be over-the-top or unjustified criticism, just like any other coach or player

How this somehow lends "secondhand credence" to Dunne's article, is a mystery to me, but You Do You.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.