College Football Playoffs 2023

Mark Vader

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Quite likely. But imo FSU earned the chance.  Otherwise, why bother playing regular season games? 

It's about putting in the best four teams come January...

Not November

They don't have the dogs to replace their star quarterbacks injury so they are not a top 4 team

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's about putting in the best four teams come January...

Not November

They don't have the dogs to replace their star quarterbacks injury so they are not a top 4 team

Of all the excuses to exclude FSU this is the weakest imo. It flies in the face of actual competition and what FSU accomplished on the field. 

If one of the remaining top 4 teams loses their star QB a minute into their next game should we deem them unworthy and force them to forfeit the game? 

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Of all the excuses to exclude FSU this is the weakest imo. It flies in the face of actual competition and what FSU accomplished on the field. 

If one of the remaining top 4 teams loses their star QB a minute into their next game should we deem them unworthy and force them to forfeit the game? 

It depends who is next up... This is college football in the 21st century

They know every backup and rising star... We know how many stars are attached to the backups.. how they have looked In limited action etc

If you are scoring 35 a game and lose your QB and still score 28 a game ... Sure ... The team hasn't lost much ... If you start scoring 20 a game... It's not enough ... They didn't do enough vs Louisville 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They know every backup and rising star... We know how many stars are attached to the backups.. how they have looked In limited action etc

If you are scoring 35 a game and lose your QB and still score 28 a game ... Sure ... The team hasn't lost much ... If you start scoring 18 a game... It's not enough 

So it's more about what folks think will happen next rather than what actually happened on the field. Brilliant. 

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So it's more about what folks think will happen next rather than what actually happened on the field. Brilliant. 

They couldn't break 21 vs Louisville and he didn't throw a TD vs Florida with under 200 yards

It's not enough to beat Texas or bama or Michigan etc 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They couldn't break 21 vs Louisville and he didn't throw a TD vs Florida with under 200 yards

It's not enough to beat Texas or bama or Michigan etc 

While I understand your point of view, I'm completely unswayed.

And while I don't expect to sway your opinion, I'll restate mine in a different way. The undefeated FSU team earned the right to be in the FCS championship - even given the very real possibility that they 'might' not play a competitive game.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

While I understand your point of view, I'm completely unswayed.

And while I don't expect to sway your opinion, I'll restate mine in a different way. The undefeated FSU team earned the right to be in the FCS championship - even given the very real possibility that they 'might' not play a competitive game.

FBS*

And I understand your point 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you are scoring 35 a game and lose your QB and still score 28 a game ... Sure ... The team hasn't lost much ... If you start scoring 20 a game... It's not enough ... They didn't do enough vs Louisville 

A little different angle at this not related to FSU, but to their QB:

This is the era of NIL where college players can make their own money.  We can argue whether or not FSU should be in and argue why.  We can give any reason for our argument because we’re not on the committee.  The committee can do whatever they want/whatever favors Alabama every time because that is their role.  But if they were smart they should keep their discussions secret.

This year, some of them actually spoke in public about FSU’s QB being weak.  That kid should sue the ever loving crap out of the committee.  Not to get into the playoffs, but to make $$$$$$$$$$.  They publicly scapegoated him.  He wasn’t even going to play, the second string guy was coming back so it wasn’t even a valid point at all.  I’m sure most of his teammates had his back but all!?  He can EASILY find a lawyer to say that not only was he stripped of an opportunity but he was slandered and his income potential suffered greatly and unfairly  He would have an actual point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

A little different angle at this not related to FSU, but to their QB:

This is the era of NIL where college players can make their own money.  We can argue whether or not FSU should be in and argue why.  We can give any reason for our argument because we’re not on the committee.  The committee can do whatever they want/whatever favors Alabama every time because that is their role.  But if they were smart they should keep their discussions secret.

This year, some of them actually spoke in public about FSU’s QB being weak.  That kid should sue the ever loving crap out of the committee.  Not to get into the playoffs, but to make $$$$$$$$$$.  They publicly scapegoated him.  He wasn’t even going to play, the second string guy was coming back so it wasn’t even a valid point at all.  I’m sure most of his teammates had his back but all!?  He can EASILY find a lawyer to say that not only was he stripped of an opportunity but he was slandered and his income potential suffered greatly and unfairly  He would have an actual point.

Grown man s******* on any amateur athlete is low brow

I'm sure he's a great kid and does nothing but work his butt off... And being the scapegoat is not a fun feeling

Took me a while to find this conversation.

Can't believe there's no thread for the game and there are only 5 or 6 comments in this thread for tonight!

Big college football crowd around here, huh?

It's a crap game, so most aren't missing much.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Can't believe there's no thread for the game and there are only 5 or 6 comments in this thread for tonight!

I mean there are multiple college football threads for specific schools

And a general thread

But I don't know how many Washington football fans are on this board.. and there's definitely more Ohio State fans than Michigan

So I would guess a lot of watching but the actual interest for who wins isn't the highest... We have an Ohio State football thread with hundreds and hundreds of pages

I'll wager they all want the team up north to lose

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean there are multiple college football threads for specific schools

And a general thread

But I don't know how many Washington football fans are on this board.. and there's definitely more Ohio State fans than Michigan

So I would guess a lot of watching but the actual interest for who wins isn't the highest... We have an Ohio State football thread with hundreds and hundreds of pages

I'll wager they all want the team up north to lose

And they can suck it!!

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Saying it now: Penix should be a fourth-fifth round pick. He can probably play in the nfl, but with that throwing motion, his ceiling is low.

Prolly round 3 since QBs always go a little early 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Saying it now: Penix should be a fourth-fifth round pick. He can probably play in the nfl, but with that throwing motion, his ceiling is low.

All the money he potentially earned after the texas game, he refunded tonight. This is like playing a real NFL defense and he doesn’t measure up at all.  I’d be worried about his health in the League.  I fear he will get badly injured he looks brittle.

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

All the money he potentially earned after the texas game, he refunded tonight. This is like playing a real NFL defense and he doesn’t measure up at all.  I’d be worried about his health in the League.  I fear he will get badly injured he looks brittle.

He's had multiple serious injuries in college including missing two full seasons

2 torn ACLS and a torn labrum

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The whole "playoff process" in college football with the voting thing is what turns off a lot of people... I had it on but couldn't care less really.

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I read a piece in The Athletic before the game that quoted a coach who was familiar with both teams. He said that he expected Michigan to win because while Texas has a good front, their secondary is bad. Michigan, on the other hand, has a good front seven too, but also an elite secondary. We saw that tonight. Penix looks great vs regular college secondaries, but he was bad vs a secondary that’s an NFL one in training. 

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It’s a Bills board. What do you expect? Speaking for myself, I hate everything about college football to my core (it is so corrupt and should NOT be tied to actual universities), but I feel I have to pay moderate attention for draft knowledge purposes.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Terrible no call hold on that big pass to the TE. 

If you are going to call that non hold on UW can't let the UM RT have a full hand of jersey 

I’m a UM alum and I even said the same thing. Refs were favoring us all game.  But our defense was solid all game and Penix was off. 

It’s been a long time coming!

And yes I’m gonna be greedy and want a double dip with the Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1

What I took from this game was the amount of motion both teams used to assist the QB with reads and to create run gap assignment confusion. After the season is over Brady or whoever the OC is should watch this tape and see what can be incorporated at the NFL level.

For all the clamoring for Rome Odunze, he sure did look like the second coming of Gabe Davis last night.

I guess getting the same player at a rookie price instead of what Gave will get in FA is nice for the cap, but I wasnt that impressed going into the game, and certainly wasnt wowed from that game.

10 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

What I took from this game was the amount of motion both teams used to assist the QB with reads and to create run gap assignment confusion. After the season is over Brady or whoever the OC is should watch this tape and see what can be incorporated at the NFL level.

The first thing Brady did after taking over form Dorsey was inject a ton of motion to help Josh read the defense. There were multiple videos about it from Cover1 and even O'Sullivan and Warner.

So we're on the right track :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Jukester said:

I’m a UM alum and I even said the same thing. Refs were favoring us all game.  But our defense was solid all game and Penix was off. 

It’s been a long time coming!

And yes I’m gonna be greedy and want a double dip with the Bills!!

Congrats on the Michigan win.  I'm a Penn State alum and after watching a lot of Pac 12 games this year, I was expecting a better game from Washington.  Michigan totally handled them.  Penix looked ordinary.  They should have sat Johnson.  He was too hobbled to be effective and hurt the team.  Michigan was impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

First time watching Penix. All I’ve seen are missed throws and bad reads, doesn’t look like a first round QB to me. Of course, it could just be an off game. 

This is the worst game I have seen him play all year. Stunning.

GO BLUE!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.