College Football Playoffs 2023

Mark Vader

#1 Michigan vs #4 Ohio State

#2 Georgia vs #3 Alabama (or flip them if it makes you feel better)

Those are the 4 best teams in the country, imo and that would give us a great "playoff".

But since it is never actually the 4 best teams, it will depend on the whims of a handful of voters.

Meaning we might get an overrated Pac 10 12 9 team, somebody's little sister from the ACC. And Notre Dame.

I can't wait until this nonsense is out the door next year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Michigan, Washington, Texas, FSU in that order. Easy peasy.

FSU is a so-so team that plays in a secod rate (and I'm being generous) conference. Michigan's coach is a cheater and Washington is in a vastly overrated conference. How was Bo Nix in the SEC? I know.....he was all but chased out of it. In the PAC Whatever, he is mentioned for the Heismann. Please.

The best teams in college football are Georgia and Alabama and Texas. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. Texas

4. Bama/FSU

I'm torn on FSU or Bama at 4.  FSU is unbeaten vs Bama's loss but Bama played a much tougher schedule.  That being said, FSU should get credit for at least going out and scheduling and beating a tough non-conference opponent (LSU) on a Neutral field.  I guess I'll give the edge to FSU but if either them or Bama ends up at 4 I'd be okay with it.  Great season for Georgia but when the rubber met the road (SEC Championship) they lost so they should be out.

I think it will be:

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. Texas

4. Alabama

I think a small case for OSU and Georgia could be made to fit somewhere at 3 and 4, but who do you bump? Those are two legit teams that could win a CFP. I feel for FSU, but like Joey Galloway was saying, losing the QB will ultimately be their downfall and probably THE reason they are out.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I think it will be:

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. Texas

4. Alabama

I think a small case for OSU and Georgia could be made to fit somewhere at 3 and 4, but who do you bump? Those are two legit teams that could win a CFP. I feel for FSU, but like Joey Galloway was saying, losing the QB will ultimately be their downfall and probably THE reason they are out.

New strategy:  injure players on the other team to eliminate them.  That sounds like a good way to run a system for a team sport.  Or maybe just another in a long line of excuses to hand it to Alabama.

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

New strategy:  injure players on the other team to eliminate them.  That sounds like a good way to run a system for a team sport.  Or maybe just another in a long line of excuses to hand it to Alabama.

It's unfortunate. I feel for the FSU players. That defense is great. At the end of the day that is probably what it will come down to. Nothing would make me feel better than to see Alabama excluded from the CFP. I saw a post online where one key aspect of the selection committee in deciding this CFP was the loss of key player(s), and FSU's offense was pretty shaky with the fresh QB, so ultimately I think they'll be excluded for that reason.

25 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It's unfortunate. I feel for the FSU players. That defense is great. At the end of the day that is probably what it will come down to. Nothing would make me feel better than to see Alabama excluded from the CFP. I saw a post online where one key aspect of the selection committee in deciding this CFP was the loss of key player(s), and FSU's offense was pretty shaky with the fresh QB, so ultimately I think they'll be excluded for that reason.

Honestly if an undefeated team in a high end conference gets summarily eliminated for any of a long list of dubious excuses, why not simply eliminate any type of playoff at all and go back to the bowl system?  It’s a farce.  Why wouldn’t they just tell 95% of the teams in August……you’re eliminated?  Because they are.

The injury reasoning is stupid and borderline dangerous.  What happens if someone walks into Milroe’s dorm room this morning and goes all Tonya Harding?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Agree 2

1-Michigan

2-Washington

3-Florida State

4-Alabama

I was pulling for Louisville. It sucks that we will see Florida State. Nothing against them but they have no shot with losing their QB.

Looking forward to an expanded playoff.

Edited by Beast

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

FSU is a so-so team that plays in a secod rate (and I'm being generous) conference. Michigan's coach is a cheater and Washington is in a vastly overrated conference. How was Bo Nix in the SEC. I know.....he was all but chased out of it. In the PAC Whatever, he is mentioned for the Heismann. Please.

The best teams in college football are Georgia and Alabama and Texas. 

If Georgia wanted to be in, they should have won their conference. If Bama wanted to be in, they should’ve beat Texas.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Honestly if an undefeated team in a high end conference gets summarily eliminated for any of a long list of dubious excuses, why not simply eliminate any type of playoff at all and go back to the bowl system?  It’s a farce.  Why wouldn’t they just tell 95% of the teams in August……you’re eliminated?  Because they are.

The injury reasoning is stupid and borderline dangerous.  What happens if someone walks into Milroe’s dorm room this morning and goes all Tonya Harding?

Imagine if Bama got left out because Jalen Hurts got hurt, when they had Tua waiting in the wings?

It’s stupid. Undefeated conf champs go. Don’t care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

1-Michigan

2-Washington

3-Florida State

4-Alabama

I was pulling for Louisville. It sucks that we will see Florida State. Nothing against them but they have no shot with losing their QB.

The NFL should probably eliminate Cleveland from the playoff picture because their QB got hurt.

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imagine if Bama got left out because Jalen Hurts got hurt, when they had Tua waiting in the wings?

It’s stupid. Undefeated conf champs go. Don’t care.

The committee would essentially be telling an individual player that he sucks and is the entire reason for his undefeated team’s elimination.  That’s quite a unique way to treat their student athletes.

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

1-Michigan

2-Washington

3-Florida State

4-Alabama

Texas curb stomped Bama at their house.  Nice reward.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

IDK boss, I do not make the rules, nor am I on the selection committee. Your clapping back at the wrong person lol.  I am just stating the "Powers that be" put a tiny little wrinkle in the selection process that includes injuries to key players will be considered if needed. Would you say QB is not a key position? I'm just stating how I feel it will play out. Like I said, I like FSU, I have a rooting interest in FSU, I do not like Alabama and I would be happy if they were not in. 

13 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

IDK boss, I do not make the rules, nor am I on the selection committee. Your clapping back at the wrong person lol.  I am just stating the "Powers that be" put a tiny little wrinkle in the selection process that includes injuries to key players will be considered if needed. Would you say QB is not a key position? I'm just stating how I feel it will play out. Like I said, I like FSU, I have a rooting interest in FSU, I do not like Alabama and I would be happy if they were not in. 

Didn’t mean to “clap back”.  Sorry if it seemed that way.  I agree the committee has a wide variety of anti-logic at its disposal.

• Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The NFL should probably eliminate Cleveland from the playoff picture because their QB got hurt.

When the NFL starts selecting playoff teams, then yes they should.

Florida State would get stomped by any team in the top 10.

Edited by Beast
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Honestly if an undefeated team in a high end conference....

You just referred to the ACC as a high end football conference. :lol:

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

The injury reasoning is stupid and borderline dangerous.

If you hurry you can probably still get nice odds on the Jets winning the Super Bowl, which is kind of crazy as they're clearly just as good a team with their starting QB out.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

You just referred to the ACC as a high end football conference. :lol:

If you hurry you can probably still get nice odds on the Jets winning the Super Bowl, which is kind of crazy as they're clearly just as good a team with their starting QB out.

1. Clemson getting stripped of their titles now?

2. So you’re saying Cleveland should be eliminated now?  What if Mahomes gets hurt in week 18?

3. Has there ever been an undefeated team, power 5 or otherwise, eliminated from the playoff when the beneficiary wasn’t Bama?

• Agree 3

They picked the best 4 teams, but also basically said that this year, the games didn’t matter.   Just a subjective decision based on the whims of a bunch of people in a room. 

Watching the FSU reaction made me want to punt this chair of the CFP Committee into the sun as he rambles on in this interview. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cynical said:

LOL.

You think this will stop?

Going to 12 will just move goal posts about who deserved to get in.

I agree to an extent, but we won't be arguing/discussing whether the GA's, UA's, FSU's, OSU's, Oregon's should get the last spot. It will be whom among the Louisville's, ND's, Arizona's and LSU's (using this year as an example) should get #10, #11, #12.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

I hope Florida State plays Ohio State or Georgia in a bowl game just to show the selection committee got it right.

Nobody cares.  

You think Verse and Coleman etc are going to play?   Maybe, maybe not .. players on both sides won’t care if it’s not CFP. 

• Agree 2

I don't mind them picking Bama over FSU but I don't like that it seems like the reasoning behind it is the Jordan Travis injury.  The injury should have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with the decision, not even in the slightest bit.  You are punishing a team due to a player getting hurt.  I am so far beyond tired of hearing the uNeQuiVoCaLLy BeTtEr bull crap.  It should be about what teams DESERVE to be in based on their season performance.  If you really do believe Bama's season was more deserving than FSU's, fine, and I could see that based on their schedule and knocking off #1 Georgia.  But if it's due to an injury, that's just flat-out wrong and needs to be re-evaluated.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Nobody cares.  

You think Verse and Coleman etc are going to play?   Maybe, maybe not .. players on both sides won’t care if it’s not CFP. 

I don’t care who plays and who doesn’t.

College football is, and always has been, about rankings. When push came to shove everyone knows Florida State can’t compete with any of the teams that made it. In fact, they wouldn’t stand a shot against Oregon, Ohio State or Georgia.

55th ranked SOS should matter. So should your actual chance of competing. If Michigan’s top players announced last night they were forgoing the bowl games to focus on the NFL , should they still be in the college playoff? Of course not.

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

College football is, and always has been, about rankings. When push came to shove everyone knows Florida State can’t compete with any of the teams that made it. In fact, they wouldn’t stand a shot against Oregon, Ohio State or Georgia.

55th ranked SOS should matter. So should your actual chance of competing. If Michigan’s top players announced last night they were forgoing the bowl games to focus on the NFL , should they still be in the college playoff? Of course not.

FSU could beat Michigan with their backup QB who isn’t a true freshman starting his first game in the ACC Championship Game. 

SEC did nothing out of conference.  ACC was 6-4 against them.  SEC’s best win was Kentucky 38 over Louisville 35.  FSU held them to 6 points.  

I have no idea what to make of UW because they play out West and I rarely watch them. 

Texas is dependent on which version of their QB shows up.  

BAMA and UGA are better than FSU now, but they were never going to take both, also we’re never going to take none. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

I also love the “Committee took the 4 best teams”

Ha! No, they absolutely did not.  

UGA is a Top 4 team and everybody knows they are.  

So they made a mockery of the sport this year and didn’t even do what they say they were tasked to do in order to justify what they did to FSU. 

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yet they would! And that's the hypocrisy.  If roles were reversed and that was Bama sitting in 4th, undefeated with their star qb down, would they dropped out of the playoff?? NOT A FARKIN CHANCE!

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JMM said:

Yet they would! And that's the hypocrisy.  If roles were reversed and that was Bama sitting in 4th, undefeated with their star qb down, would they dropped out of the playoff?? NOT A FARKIN CHANCE!

The difference is that Alabama is good enough on both sides of the LOS and at the skill positions to beat good teams with a subpar QB. FSU is not, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, JMM said:

Alabama"s backup quarterback is 5 star Ty Simpson. I hope that he stays with the team next season whereas he really might be better down the road than Milroe. If FSU had a backup like Ty (and played in a decent conference) they would be in instead of Alabama.

Edited by Bill from NYC

The Jordan Travis tweet.  

“I wish my leg broke earlier so y’all could see this team is so much more than the QB…”

**** this committee.   I hope they have to answer for it … and judging by the INTENSE backlash from AD’s, Chancellors and Politicians, they’re going to have to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Beast said:

When the NFL starts selecting playoff teams, then yes they should.

Florida State would get stomped by any team in the top 10.

In fairness to Florida State, the committee should have notified them at the beginning of the season not to bother playing because they had already been eliminated.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I also love the “Committee took the 4 best teams”

Ha! No, they absolutely did not.  

UGA is a Top 4 team and everybody knows they are.  

So they made a mockery of the sport this year and didn’t even do what they say they were tasked to do in order to justify what they did to FSU. 

Cuz Bama.  As usual.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama"s backup quarterback is 5 star Ty Simpson. I hope that he stays with the team next season whereas he really might be better down the road than Milroe. If FSU had a backup like Ty (and played in a decent conference) they would be in instead of Alabama.

Oooh 5 stars.  The committee basically told a kid at FSU that he is a worthless piece of garbage.  Even though he lost exactly zero games.  Nice example from our institutions there.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.