College Football Playoffs 2023

Mark Vader

SEC is the most overrated conference in football! They start the season with half the conference ranked in the top 20, beat each other up with no real out of conference competition and then beat their chest about how they played some type of manufactured gauntlet of a schedule 🙄

The SEC consists of Georgia, Bama, occasionally LSU and then everyone else! The ACC owned the so called best conference in football this season, but somehow their undefeated conference champion who beat 2 SEC teams this season was left out!

• Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

The “Seminoles” should be commended for taking their cultural appropriation to this level…getting screwed out of something that they fought hard for and was rightfully theirs by a bunch of ignorant Jim Crow types is next level commitment to the bit.

And let’s also rejoice for ‘Bama. These rednecks, who couldn’t be bothered to score a 900 on their SATs, care nothing about standard of living and state poverty levels…football is all that matters. I’m happy for them.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

In fairness to Florida State, the committee should have notified them at the beginning of the season not to bother playing because they had already been eliminated.

Cuz Bama.  As usual.

Hey now, it’s not like we’ve ever seen a backup QB win a national championship before.

5 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Florida State should have got in. Period. 

13-0 in a Power 5. 

Alabama was a LUCKY 4th a 17th "Hail Mary" away from LOSING TO AUBURN. The team that got destroyed by New Mexico State. 

Let’s be fair. They also barely held on against USF

This is also why Bama fans fought the CFP expansion so hard.

Bama’s chances of winning a Natty drop precipitously if there was a chance they met Georgia again. They know it. Their fans know it.

Which is why when they scream “it was about the four best teams,” they never mention that Georgia is clearly better than Washington. They really don’t want to compete.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

SEC is the most overrated conference in football! They start the season with half the conference ranked in the top 20, beat each other up with no real out of conference competition and then beat their chest about how they played some type of manufactured gauntlet of a schedule 🙄

The SEC consists of Georgia, Bama, occasionally LSU and then everyone else! The ACC owned the so called best conference in football this season, but somehow their undefeated conference champion who beat 2 SEC teams this season was left out!

The non conference Bama schedule was a reasonably tight game against USF, a curb stomp home defeat to Texas, a resounding victory over Chattanooga and another against MTSU.  But we get the gaslighting about their tough schedule.  Also: Kim Jung Il shot an 18 in a round of golf.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

**** this committee.   I hope they have to answer for it … and judging by the INTENSE backlash from AD’s, Chancellors and Politicians, they’re going to have to. 

When only 4 teams get to play in those meaningful games, there is no, and never will be, a right answer.

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You mean 3+ Bama right?

I'm not remotely interested in your weird crusade against the college football program that has consistently had the most talented teams in the country for over a decade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Florida State should have got in. Period. 

13-0 in a Power 5. 

Alabama was a LUCKY 4th a 17th "Hail Mary" away from LOSING TO AUBURN. The team that got destroyed by New Mexico State. 

I get it.  Strength of schedule means little to nothing to you and I clearly understand why. 

Florida State had a rough time against Louisville, who was beat by Kentucky, a middling at best SEC team. In fact, Louisville gave up 38 points to Kentucky iirc. Florida State is not even close to Georgia and/or Alabama. There is just no comparison. Why didn't FSU jump to the SEC? I think it is safe to assume that they know that they would struggle to be a .500 team.  

I am not saying that Alabama will win the title but if they do, it would not be the first time that they won it from the 4th seed. We will see what happens but at least we really might have been spared another debacle like the trouncing of TCU last season, wouldn't you say?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

UGA is a Top 4 team and everybody knows they are.  

This is impossible to argue with imo. I think that UGA would wipe the floors with Washington and/or FSU. Texas looks great and I think that Coach Sarkisian is one of the best offensive minds that I have ever seen. I don't know much about Michigan and hope that @YoloinOhio will jump in and tell us more about them. He as always been quite accurate in his posts about the Big 10.

Edited by Bill from NYC

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I get it.  Strength of schedule means little to nothing to you and I clearly understand why. 

Florida State had a rough time against Louisville, who was beat by Kentucky, a middling at best SEC team. In fact, Louisville gave up 38 points to Kentucky iirc. Florida State is not even close to Georgia and/or Alabama. There is just no comparison. Why didn't FSU jump to the SEC? I think it is safe to assume that they know that they would struggle to be a .500 team.  

I am not saying that Alabama will win the title but if they do, it would not be the first time that they won it from the 4th seed. We will see what happens but at least we really might have been spared another debacle like the trouncing of TCU last season, wouldn't you say?

FSU would do very well in the overrated SEC. Outside of Bama and Georgia which SEC program has contended for the playoffs since it started back in 2013/2014……LSU? Georgia was in a dog fight against a middling Georgia Tech program, Bama barely beat USF, LSU got curb stomped by FSU, Miami beat Texas A&M……yea SEC is definitely this juggernaut of a conference 🙄

Edited by streetkings01
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

When only 4 teams get to play in those meaningful games, there is no, and never will be, a right answer.

Id argue that they went with the worst answer of all available options.  

1) the precedent it sets for how teams handle injuries 

2) the precedent it sets for what a season means 

3) eye test is subjective and FSU’s offense struggled without Travis, but are we apparently ignoring Bama almost losing to Auburn a week ago?

4) UGA is clearly a Top 4 team, yet is .. in the committees eyes .. behind FSU without their QB?

5) They justify Liberty over SMU as G5 rep, when SMU is better now, because Liberty “kept winning”

It all came down to money and ESPN making sure the SEC was represented.  You can’t tell me that didn’t factor in.  It did .. and today was an absolute travesty for the sport.  The backlash is entirely warranted. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Lol you conveniently left out that TCU won a playoff game while making a case they were unworthy of a spot.  That’s not logical.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

The “Seminoles” should be commended for taking their cultural appropriation to this level…getting screwed out of something that they fought hard for and was rightfully theirs by a bunch of ignorant Jim Crow types is next level commitment to the bit.

And let’s also rejoice for ‘Bama. These rednecks, who couldn’t be bothered to score a 900 on their SATs, care nothing about standard of living and state poverty levels…football is all that matters. I’m happy for them.

The Seminole Tribe approves of FSU using their name, unlike the Chiefs that stole FSU's chant and have no connection to any tribe.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

TCU beat Michigan last year.

Should Georgia have been in? After all, they are clearly in the top 4 and they had a tough schedule and only 1 loss to another playoff team.

• Agree 1

On 12/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, FireChans said:

TCU beat Michigan last year.

Should Georgia have been in? After all, they are clearly in the top 4 and they had a tough schedule and only 1 loss to another playoff team.

As I said in a previous post, I know little about Michigan. Yolo, Willyville Guy, and many other posters do follow the Big 10 and I hope that they chime in.

Your question about UGA is a very good one. I think that Georgia is far superior to Washington. This of course doesn't mean that I am correct. Obviously I am partial to the SEC and lack a great deal of respect for other conferences but yes, UGA is clearly one of the 4 best teams. 

The above is of course jmo. It is not an all knowing proclamation and I know that the Alabama haters are butt hurt. Still, a few of facts do remain:

1) Georgia won 29 straight games, 2 consecutive national titles, was ranked #1 for most of the season and Alabama defeated them, in Georgia.

2) The last four national titles were won by LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Georgia. 

This has to be indicative of something, no?

And btw I appreciate the dialogue.

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama"s backup quarterback is 5 star Ty Simpson. I hope that he stays with the team next season whereas he really might be better down the road than Milroe. If FSU had a backup like Ty (and played in a decent conference) they would be in instead of Alabama.

1. FSU Qb is a top recruit as well, they discussed this last night. He is a true freshmen starting his first game ever. In that spot. You think Ty would have done better? Stop...

2. ACC had a better record than SEC this year.

Make opinions based on actual facts next time

4 hours ago, Simon said:

The difference is that Alabama is good enough on both sides of the LOS and at the skill positions to beat good teams with a subpar QB. FSU is not, imo.

Can u say for a FACT that FSU would not have won the National Championship? NO. And neither can anyone else. Correct? Therefore based on ALL the criteria they met they should have been given the opportunity to do so. Period. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JMM said:

1. FSU Qb is a top recruit as well, they discussed this last night. He is a true freshmen starting his first game ever. In that spot. You think Ty would have done better? Stop...

2. ACC had a better record than SEC this year.

Make opinions based on actual facts next time

Can u say for a FACT that FSU would not have won the National Championship? NO. And neither can anyone else. Correct? Therefore based on ALL the criteria they met they should have been given the opportunity to do so. Period. 

Yeah, he looked great against the really tough Louisville (defense last night who gave up 31 points to Kentucky).  And I understand how you are butt hurt by  Alabama getting in and I want you to feel better. Still, comparing the ACC to the SEC really is silly. Clemson was great and now even they are just a so-so team.

I give you credit however for taking a stand, especially when there are probably only about 6 or 7 college football fans in the world think that the ACC is anywhere close to being almost as good as the SEC but hey; one cannot put a price on originality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, he looked great against the really tough Louisville (defense last night who gave up 31 points to Kentucky).  And I understand how you are butt hurt by  Alabama getting in and I want you to feel better. Still, comparing the ACC to the SEC really is silly. Clemson was great and now even they are just a so-so team.

I give you credit however for taking a stand, especially when there are probably only about 6 or 7 college football fans in the world think that the ACC is anywhere close to being almost as good as the SEC but hey; one cannot put a price on originality.

You DO understand that he was their 3RD stringer right?  And that their BACKUP  would have played,  with a month of prep. But maybe you don't know that.

Secondly,  butt hurt? Lol I have no skin in the game,  I'm not a fan of any of the teams. And I want competitive entertaining games as much as anyone.  BUT I don't want that at the expense of integrity and fairness. My opinion is not an outlier by any means

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

BTW did you watch Alabama last week, against powerhouse Auburn? And the Billsy miracle they needed to win. So Bama was THISCLOSE to 2 losses and not being in the playoff. But FSU had NO chance of winning the national championship,  especially with that VERY average defense that they have....🙄

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Bill, I know you're a big Bama fan but come on. How good is the SEC? Really?

New Mexico State destroyed a team you were LUCKY AF to beat. 

Florida State went out and played LSU on the road and won. They won at Florida with a backup QB. They did everything they were supposed to do. This is the CPF Committee and ESPN being in love with the SEC. 

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Hey now, it’s not like we’ve ever seen a backup QB win a national championship before.

Let’s be fair. They also barely held on against USF

Alabama was lucky to beat Auburn (Basically a hailmary). Auburn was embarrassed at home by freakin' New Mexico State.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As I said in a previous post, I know little about Michigan. Yolo, Willyville Guy, and many other posters do follow the Big 10 and I hope that they chime in.

Your question about UGA is a very good one. I think that Georgia is far superior to Washington. This of course doesn't mean that I am correct. Obviously I am partial to the SEC and lack a great deal of respect for other conferences but yes, UGA is clearly one of the 4 best teams. 

The above is of course jmo. It is not an all knowing proclamation and I know that the Alabama haters are butt hurt. Still, a few of facts do remain:

1) Georgia won 29 straight games, 2 consecutive national titles, was raanked #1 for most of the season and Alabama defeated them, in Georgia.

2) The last four national titles were won by LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and Georgia. 

It's indicative of past performance.  Shouldn't be considered at all when choosing the 2023 top 4 imo. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Bill, I know you're a big Bama fan but come on. How good is the SEC? Really?

New Mexico State destroyed a team you were LUCKY AF to beat. 

Florida State went out and played LSU on the road and won. They won at Florida with a backup QB. They did everything they were supposed to do. This is the CPF Committee and ESPN being in love with the SEC. 

Alabama was lucky to beat Auburn (Basically a hailmary). Auburn was embarrassed at home by freakin' New Mexico State.

I was talking about Alabama. It was a one score game vs USF til the final minutes lol

• Like (+1) 1

Who are the dominant SEC teams not named Georgia or Bama? From what I’ve seen over the past few seasons is other than Bama and Georgia who run thru the SEC with no problem while the rest just beat up on each other.

Im just tryna figure out how a conference that’s so great is dominated by 2 teams over the past decade. Outside of a season where LSU had Burrow/Chase/Jefferson no other SEC has looked close to being a title contender 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Lionel Hutz said:

The Seminole Tribe approves of FSU using their name, unlike the Chiefs that stole FSU's chant and have no connection to any tribe.

To be fair the Chiefs probably took it from the Atlanta Braves and they may be connected by half of each roster having humped Taylor Swift.

• Like (+1) 1

That kid is a totally worthless human being incapable of ever improving.  Thank God the committee screwed the rest of his team and made him a scapegoat for the rest of his life.  So classy of these gentlemen for thrusting hardship on this kid.  If he didn’t want to be publicly blamed by the committee for FSU’s omission, he should have stopped being a worthless sack of crap and been a 5 star backup like that awesome Bama kid.  Do I have that right?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol you conveniently left out that TCU won a playoff game while making a case they were unworthy of a spot.  That’s not logical.

Ha, yeah, there is that.

That's why the non-SEC strength of schedule/strength of conference is ludicrous. 

Should Michigan actually win a game in the playoffs, it will be the first non-Ohio St. Big10 team to actually win a playoff game, much less a national championship.

In fact it could be argued it would be the first non-Ohio St. Big Ten team to actually put up a decent game. 

I dont recall a more overrated conference/division for so long, in any sport.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's indicative of past performance.  Shouldn't be considered at all when choosing the 2023 top 4 imo. 

OK.....did you watch FSU vs. Louisville and Alabama vs. Georgia? If so, are you really ready to say that FSU is even almost as good as either Bama or Georgia?  They are not even in the same class as either of those teams. 

I really dont think that there are many people in the world that think FSU, especially missing their quarterback, would stand a chance against those two powerhouses. Sorry, I can't understand how anyone could think this, especially given the fact that they are coached by Saban and Smart..

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK.....did you watch FSU vs. Louisville and Alabama vs. Georgia? If so, are you really ready to say that FSU is even almost as good as either Bama or Georgia?  They are not even in the same class as either of those teams. 

I really dont think that there are many people in the world that think FSU, especially missing their quarterback, would stand a chance against those two powerhouses. Sorry, I can't understand how anyone could think this, especially given the fact that they are coached by Saban and Smart..

I’m an FSU fan…..we played Louisville with our 3rd string true freshman QB. Tate Rodemaker(2nd string QB)is more than capable of helping this team win a championship and would’ve had a full month of practice. What we did see Saturday was a defense totally dominate its opponent and hold a ranked team to only 6 points…..let’s overlook that part tho!

Yes FSU is just as good/talented as Georgia and Bama…..go ask LSU and Florida!

Edited by streetkings01
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m an FSU fan…..we played Louisville with our 3rd string true freshman QB. Tate Rodemaker(2nd string QB)is more than capable of helping this team win a championship and would’ve had a full month of practice. What we did see Saturday was a defense totally dominate its opponent and hold a ranked team to only 6 points…..let’s overlook that part tho!

Yes FSU is just as good/talented as Georgia and Bama…..go ask LSU and Florida!

Don’t take it too hard.  Trashing a college freshman’s name is only collateral damage for the committee in pursuit of promoting Bama.  Honestly, that kid should sue the ever loving daylights out of that committee.  They literally trashed him in public and blamed him for FSU’s exclusion.  It’s one thing if they spin it or keep quiet but they used this kid as a scapegoat.  It’s at least grounds to file a defamation suit.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Who are the dominant SEC teams not named Georgia or Bama? From what I’ve seen over the past few seasons is other than Bama and Georgia who run thru the SEC with no problem while the rest just beat up on each other.

Im just tryna figure out how a conference that’s so great is dominated by 2 teams over the past decade. Outside of a season where LSU had Burrow/Chase/Jefferson no other SEC has looked close to being a title contender 🤷🏽‍♂️

It’s the scam of the SEC. Alabama is impressive because they beat Tennessee. Is Tennessee good? NOPE.

They barely beat TAMU and Kentucky, lost to Florida and got blown out by Mizzou. But they are a feather in the cap for Bama. Why? Because they play in the SEC.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

1) Georgia won 29 straight games, 2 consecutive national titles, was raanked #1 for most of the season and Alabama defeated them, in Georgia.

I think all of the logic of the committee is selectively applied.

They HAD to put Alabama in because they want the best 4. But Georgia is in the best 4 …. crickets.

They put Georgia 6th! They said FSU was more deserving than Georgia? Why? And why does that logic not apply to FSU vs. Bama?

So glad it’s a 12 team playoff going forward. This nonsense was getting so old. 

I’m sick of conference champions always making it, except when they don’t. I’m sick of 1 loss teams who don’t make the conference championship jumping the teams that make it to or win the conference finals.

It’s over. Now we will get March Madness style chaos and all of CFB will be better for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I watched the better part of both of those games and I really made no assertion as to which teams I think were as good as Bama or Georgia. 

What I took exception to was your comments about past SEC champions. My assumption was that you were using that as justification for an SEC team being included this year. Were you? If so, why? If not, why bring it up? IMO it's irrelevant - and it makes me question whether it was a factor in excluding FSU. 

BTW, I find the missing their QB argument exceedingly weak - although from what I gather in this thread it is a selection criteria - which tells me it's more about TV ratings than rewarding regular season success.

• Agree 1

I don’t have a problem with the playoff teams. I have an issue with the logic. FSU is being excluded because their starting QB is injured. This makes a statement that the eye test matters more than wins/losses. I don’t think most people believe FSU with a backup is a top four team. However, where does Washington fit in? If the committee is bias against FSU with a backup, why don’t they have a bias that Washington doesn’t measure up? Who believes Washington is better than Georgia? Washington earned a spot by winning a power 5 conference with an undefeated record, the same as FSU. Just like FSU, is Washington really top four based on the eye test? The eye test was applied to FSU, why not Washington? I can’t understand the logic. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Don’t take it too hard.  Trashing a college freshman’s name is only collateral damage for the committee in pursuit of promoting Bama.  Honestly, that kid should sue the ever loving daylights out of that committee.  They literally trashed him in public and blamed him for FSU’s exclusion.  It’s one thing if they spin it or keep quiet but they used this kid as a scapegoat.  It’s at least grounds to file a defamation suit.

What are you even talking about? :doh:  The "kid" was a 4 star, elite 11 QB not some walk-on.   He wasn't up to the task.   It happens.   The committee shouldn't risk the kind of performance they might get from he or Orvile Rodemaker and leave us watching a got-dam azz whipping in one of those semi-final games.    They won a game at home versus Miami(barely) last month with an even lesser true freshman QB starting against them.    FSU did not finish the season like a top 4 team and ultimately they stood no chance of winning in the playoff.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.