College Football Playoffs 2023

Mark Vader

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bobby Bowden was 17-18-1 vs Florida 

Im saying that 100% Tennessee Auburn Florida and Ole Miss not even counting Alabama and Georgia could compete in the ACC 

They're recruiting , and level of play is instantly above your second place ACC team in Louisville this season 

Yes I think Ole Miss would stop Louisville

I got a question for you since you’re an SEC homer……..if the SEC isn’t the most overrated conference in college football then explain how Tennessee is currently the 21st ranked team in the nation with an 8-4 record and going 0-3 against top 25 teams losing by a combined score of 37-108? 

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

I got a question for you since you’re an SEC homer……..if the SEC isn’t the most overrated conference in college football then explain how Tennessee is currently the 21st ranked team in the nation with an 8-4 record and going 0-3 against top 25 teams losing by a combined score of 37-108? 

Nah.  The SEC's record in the CFP is like 16-5, with 2 of those losses coming against fellow SEC teams.  If you go back to the old BCS, after the Texas-USC epic game, the SEC rattled off something like 7 of 8 of the next national championships. 

Compare other conferences...(cough Big 10 cough), the record is like 3-7 in the CFP. 

For a long time, its like an old WWE handicap match...Andre the Giant vs Big John Studd and Ken Patera or something. 

Its SEC vs the best of the other conferences.  And the SEC has been winning. 

But it is also why the "oh no, Florida St. plays in the ACC" logic is pretty much asinine. Who cares?  Who really cares?  How do you explain Michigan getting in the CFP for the 3rd consecutive year?  

25 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Nah.  The SEC's record in the CFP is like 16-5, with 2 of those losses coming against fellow SEC teams.  If you go back to the old BCS, after the Texas-USC epic game, the SEC rattled off something like 7 of 8 of the next national championships. 

Compare other conferences...(cough Big 10 cough), the record is like 3-7 in the CFP. 

For a long time, its like an old WWE handicap match...Andre the Giant vs Big John Studd and Ken Patera or something. 

Its SEC vs the best of the other conferences.  And the SEC has been winning. 

But it is also why the "oh no, Florida St. plays in the ACC" logic is pretty much asinine. Who cares?  Who really cares?  How do you explain Michigan getting in the CFP for the 3rd consecutive year?  

This is where people get it twisted up with the SEC…….in years past I would agree that the SEC was the best conference in college football, but as of the past 3-5 seasons the SEC has been Alabama and Georgia only with that one LSU sandwiched in there. As of 2023, 2022, 2021 the SEC has not been dominant as a whole……Bama and Georgia have with the rest of the conference acting as if those 2 teams accomplishments are divided up and shared amongst every team 🙄

Truly this is the same argument from 2017, so I don't see why anyone is surprised. The undefeated does not bring enough viewers to the game so we are shelving them for a team that showed less during the season. At least this year Bama actually beat a top 15 team in the regular season, unlike in 2017. 

10 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Truly this is the same argument from 2017, so I don't see why anyone is surprised. The undefeated does not bring enough viewers to the game so we are shelving them for a team that showed less during the season. At least this year Bama actually beat a top 15 team in the regular season, unlike in 2017. 

Well, Alabama went on to defeat both Clemson and Georgia so I guess that they were pretty good, but; this shouldn't stop anyone from hate or jealousy, no? 

Oh and by the way, check out who they demolished in game one 😮

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/alabama/2017-schedule.html

14 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well, Alabama went on to defeat both Clemson and Georgia so I guess that they were pretty good, but; this shouldn't stop anyone from hate or jealousy, no? 

Oh and by the way, check out who they demolished in game one 😮

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/alabama/2017-schedule.html

UCF beat Auburn who beat GA and smoked Bama. The only reason you think Bama was better is you would not let UCF have an opportunity. Literally your argument is that no matter what they did UCF would be below Bama unless Bama lost twice when playing a weak schedule, truly UCF would have been undefeated playing Bama 2017 schedule 

Edited by Orlando Tim
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

UCF beat Auburn who beat GA and smoked Bama. The only reason you think Bama was better is you would not let UCF have an opportunity. Literally your argument is that no matter what they did UCF would be below Bama unless Bama lost twice when playing a weak schedule, truly UCF would have been undefeated playing Bama 2017 schedule 

What happened when the committee stupidly let Cincinnatti in? Oh, I know.....they got destroyed by Alabama.  That is how it works when second rate, or even fairly good teams get to the playoffs.

Edited by Bill from NYC

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

What happened when the committee stupidly let Cincinnatti in? Oh, I know.....they got destroyed by Alabama.  That is how it works when second rate, or even fairly good teams get to the playoffs.

Then why play a regular season? Let's just have a beauty pageant to pick playoff schools?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

They beat Cincinnati by 21, and beat Georgia by 17 in the SEC Championship.  So it's not that big of a difference.  Alabama also barely beat bad Florida, LSU, and Auburn teams that year, and lost to and average Texas A&M.

Like others have said, why play the games if none of it matters?  The SEC was 7-9 vs other Power 5 conferences this year.  OSU won the Championship, and beat Alabama, with a 3rd string QB.

Edited by cle23

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Cincinnati game was closer than the other semifinal that year and about average for semifinals. In fact with the exception of last year every single year one of the semi finals has been a blow out of not both. 

On 12/5/2023 at 10:50 AM, streetkings01 said:

This is where people get it twisted up with the SEC…….in years past I would agree that the SEC was the best conference in college football, but as of the past 3-5 seasons the SEC has been Alabama and Georgia only with that one LSU sandwiched in there. As of 2023, 2022, 2021 the SEC has not been dominant as a whole……Bama and Georgia have with the rest of the conference acting as if those 2 teams accomplishments are divided up and shared amongst every team 🙄

idk.  In 2022, the SEC was 7-4 against the ACC and in 2021 they were 8-3. 

In the CFP, they are 5-1 in those two years. The only loss was Alabama's loss to fellow SEC team Georgia in the NC game. 

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

mhmm.  And the past 2 they put MIchigan inthe CFP, ranked no. 2 both times. 2 years ago they were crushed by Georgia.  Last year, they gave up 51 points to a TCU team that couldn't muster more than 7 points vs. Georgia.

And here they are..in the CFP for the 3rd consecutive year, and given the top ranking.

To each his own, but I'll take the occasional dark horse over, say, throwing Notre Dame in the mix, only to watch them get crushed.

Expanded playoffs can't get here soon enough

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Then why play a regular season? Let's just have a beauty pageant to pick playoff schools?

OK. Another question is: How are some teams allowed to get over playing piss poor schedules?

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

They beat Cincinnati by 21, and beat Georgia by 17 in the SEC Championship.  So it's not that big of a difference.  Alabama also barely beat bad Florida, LSU, and Auburn teams that year, and lost to and average Texas A&M.

Like others have said, why play the games if none of it matters?  The SEC was 7-9 vs other Power 5 conferences this year.  OSU won the Championship, and beat Alabama, with a 3rd string QB.

Yeah, South Carolina and Vanderbilt had rough seasons lol.

2 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

The Cincinnati game was closer than the other semifinal that year and about average for semifinals. In fact with the exception of last year every single year one of the semi finals has been a blow out of not both. 

Close? C'mon, the game was not at all close.

Alabama had 482 total yards with 301 yards rushing.

Cincinnatti managed to eke out 210 total yards.

I sure was glad that Cincy was their opponent.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401331235

45 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Close? C'mon, the game was not at all close.

Alabama had 482 total yards with 301 yards rushing.

Cincinnatti managed to eke out 210 total yards.

I sure was glad that Cincy was their opponent.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401331235

You did not read the post at all, the score was closer than GA vs MI and each year at least one of the games is a blowout, usually 2 of the 3.  

3 hours ago, CookieG said:

mhmm.  And the past 2 they put MIchigan inthe CFP, ranked no. 2 both times. 2 years ago they were crushed by Georgia.  Last year, they gave up 51 points to a TCU team that couldn't muster more than 7 points vs. Georgia.

And here they are..in the CFP for the 3rd consecutive year, and given the top ranking.

To each his own, but I'll take the occasional dark horse over, say, throwing Notre Dame in the mix, only to watch them get crushed.

Expanded playoffs can't get here soon enough

These blowouts in the semis are actually why expanding won't do anything

We try to put the best four teams and we're still getting blowouts... The 10th best team has no chance versus a bona fide top two team with weeks of preparation

The talent gap between 10 and top two is free

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

We try to put the best four teams and we're still getting blowouts... The 10th best team has no chance versus a bona fide top two team with weeks of preparation

This might be true but I would certainly prefer less time between the games where the difference in coaching staffs get exposed even more. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's simply not true... Michigan lost to TCU and Ohio State was on the verge of beating Georgia until Marvin got cheap shotted, yet when TCU and Georgia played, it was an annihilation. Ohio State DIDN'T EVEN WIN THE BIG TEN and were a hair away from winning the national championship.

ANYONE from 6-8 in the final CFP rankings could win it all in an expanded team playoff (Florida State without a bonafide QB is not an option TBH):

5 Florida State

6 Georgia

7 Ohio State

8 Oregon

Georgia lost to Bama, Ohio State lost to Michigan, and Oregon lost to Washington twice, all Top 4 teams.

Put the lowest seed, 8 Oregon, on the field against Michigan or Bama or Texas and you can't tell me any of those would 100% be an Oregon loss or a blowout.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's simply not true... Michigan lost to TCU and Ohio State was on the verge of beating Georgia until Marvin got cheap shotted, yet when TCU and Georgia played, it was an annihilation. Ohio State DIDN'T EVEN WIN THE BIG TEN and were a hair away from winning the national championship.

ANYONE from 6-8 in the final CFP rankings could win it all in an expanded team playoff (Florida State without a bonafide QB is not an option TBH):

5 Florida State

6 Georgia

7 Ohio State

8 Oregon

Georgia lost to Bama, Ohio State lost to Michigan, and Oregon lost to Washington twice, all Top 4 teams.

Put the lowest seed, 8 Oregon, on the field against Michigan or Bama or Texas and you can't tell me any of those would 100% be an Oregon loss or a blowout.

That's because Jim harbaugh literally built his team over 6 years to do one thing... Beat Ohio State

It's not built to win a national championship and they're not going to

I've said for a long time there's only one school in northern states that could win a national championship now and it's Ohio State

And I'm a Notre Dame Homer and they have zero chance

Michigan is not winning it this year either

And Washington is not going to either

That Georgia Ohio State game you're talking about was the best two teams in the country... The other two while really good college football teams had flaws that would make them exposed

You need the trenches... On both sides... So you need to be able to stop the run and protect your quarterback.... You need horses at wide receiver.. and you need the ability to run the ball and rush the passer and stop the pass enough 

There's a lot of good football teams in the top 10 but they don't check all those boxes

Michigan is so scared right now because Alabama's the last team they wanted to play

And I think Georgia would stomp Washington... I don't even think the four best teams are in

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

With the expanded field,  better to have the blowouts on Campus sites (and there will be blowouts) than in big time Bowl games at the end to determine the Champion.

19 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Pardon me Bill, you played the Chattanooga choo-choos.

Well they also play Tennessee and Texas and Ole Miss and Arkansas and Kentucky and Miss st lol

Those teams out recruit and spend more money on football than most of the ACC outside of FSU and Clemson and Miami on 5 year basis's 

ACC has duke and Louisville and VTech and NC State, GT at high competing levels rn 

Those teams I named instantly compete yearly or bump those ACC teams... Too much money , resources and recruiting 

Louisville was just division champs.. and every school I named has a bigger football budget 

It's really really tough for Ole Miss to win the SEC... They'd be able to win the ACC ... Whether it took 1 or 3 years 

And for the record I certainly am not an Alabama or a plain SEC Homer... @Bill from NYC

Knows I do think Nick Saban is the greatest modern college coach and I respect the program but he also knows I am not blindly a lover

I told him last year that Texas was coming for the country and most laughed at me

I see the trends in college football and I can tell who's on the upswing and downswing

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

@Bill from NYC

Knows I do think Nick Saban is the greatest modern college coach and I respect the program but he also knows I am not blindly a lover

I told him last year that Texas was coming for the country and most laughed at me

Trust me, I was not laughing at you. As you know, Coach Sarkisian was the Alabama OC. He is an offensive genius imo, constantly barraging opponents with intricate, imaginative plays. I think that Texas will destroy Washington but again, if I knew everything I would have never had to work.

Edited by Bill from NYC

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Trust me, I was not laughing at you. As you know, Coach Sarkisian was the Alabama OC OC. He is an offensive genius imo, constantly barraging opponents with intricate, imaginative plays. I thi k that Texas will destroy Washington but again, if I knew everything I would have never had to work.

I think they win handily too

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KellyToTasker said:

FSU had 20 players opt out. They felt snubbed, they snubbed the game. ESPN is pissed. Not a good measuring stick. 

I agree, but I also think Georgia might be the best team in the country, even with the Bama loss. Georgia had the potential to embarrass three out of the four playoff teams. Bama is familiar with Georgia, and matches up well against them. Georgia could have made the other three look bad, not as bad as FSU with backups, but bad nevertheless imo. I’m anxious to see what Michigan does, as the Big Ten looks like trash this bowl season. 

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, but I also think Georgia might be the best team in the country, even with the Bama loss. Georgia had the potential to embarrass three out of the four playoff teams. Bama is familiar with Georgia, and matches up well against them. Georgia could have made the other three look bad, not as bad as FSU with backups, but bad nevertheless imo. I’m anxious to see what Michigan does, as the Big Ten looks like trash this bowl season. 

I don’t think Michigan can handle a Bama team that has so many weeks to prepare for them…..Bama has gotten stronger every week, Iron Bowl is a “record” doesn’t matter game, their defense is suffocating and they play to Milroe’s strengths. 

Never would’ve thought at the beginning of the year that the University of Northern Alabama (team playing against FSU when their QB got hurt) would have such an impact on the College Football season. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I don’t think Michigan can handle a Bama team that has so many weeks to prepare for them…..Bama has gotten stronger every week, Iron Bowl is a “record” doesn’t matter game, their defense is suffocating and they play to Milroe’s strengths. 

Never would’ve thought at the beginning of the year that the University of Northern Alabama (team playing against FSU when their QB got hurt) would have such an impact on the College Football season. 

Absolutely, I’d be surprised if this doesn’t end with Michigan getting embarrassed and Harbaugh running to the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

So are we done pretending that FSU belonged in the playoffs and that Georgia isn't one of the best two teams in the country?

Was it ever about Georgia not being one of the best teams in the country (who actually claimed that?) or was it about excluding an undefeated team and questioning why said undefeated team should have bothered  competing in the BCS in the first place? 

For the record I don't have a dog in this fight. Interesting sports convo, imo. But I fall on the side of the undefeated team being deserving of a spot to compete for the championship.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Was it ever about Georgia not being one of the best teams in the country (who actually claimed that?) or was it about excluding an undefeated team and questioning why said undefeated team should have bothered  competing in the BCS in the first place? 

For the record I don't have a dog in this fight. Interesting sports convo, imo. But I fall on the side of the undefeated team being deserving of a spot to compete for the championship.

Yes, for me it’s about the idea of playoff teams being determined on the playing field, not hypothetical scenarios of who’s better than who. You’re supposed to take care of business on the field, not get rewarded because you’re probably better.

As an example, I think the Big Ten is overrated, and Michigan can’t legitimately  win a national championship. That doesn’t mean an undefeated Wolverines team should be excluded, because I think they’d lose to several SEC teams with more losses. How many Super Bowl champions weren’t the best team in the NFL? I can think of quite a few. This is supposed to be football, not a sport with judges handing out scores. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

FSU had 20 players opt out. They felt snubbed, they snubbed the game. ESPN is pissed. Not a good measuring stick. 

Interesting strategy.

You know you're going to get pantsed by a bigger, smarter, stronger, faster, tougher team so you quit before the game even starts and then you can walk around saying we could have won if we wanted to.

I suppose if every starter that opted out had played and scored a TD, they could have made up the 70 points they needed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Interesting strategy.

You know you're going to get pantsed by a bigger, smarter, stronger, faster, tougher team so you quit before the game even starts and then you can walk around saying we could have won if we wanted to.

I suppose if every starter that opted out had played and scored a TD, they could have made up the 70 points they needed.

Another way to look at it is - why bother playing in a pointless game. Perhaps FSU should have taken that point of view before the season started.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

So are we done pretending that FSU belonged in the playoffs and that Georgia isn't one of the best two teams in the country?

At least it was a close game.

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Another way to look at it is - why bother playing in a pointless game. Perhaps FSU should have taken that point of view before the season started.

A playoff game for FSU would have been equally pointless.

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

Interesting strategy.

No, the players chose what was best for them….Individually. Whether it be to gain an NIL deal/better situation to excel next year through transfer, prep for the draft, etc. They felt snubbed, they chose a path that snubbed the same people that kept them out and put them in a better position for their future without risk of injury for a game that doesn’t account for much. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.