Kneel Down Game: Final Nail in McD’s Coach Coffin

Thrivefourfive

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

As much as McD practices situational football (according to him), he’s an incredibly poor situational coach. I don’t know his overall record in one score games from the time he got here, but I’d be surprised if it’s not a losing one. Without even knowing the record, I feel confident in saying if the Bills aren’t up by multiple scores with minutes left in the game, McD’s poor thought process and decision making will lead to an L more often than a W. He seems like a solid person and a good coach, but he’s clearly not a championship caliber captain. 

It’s bad. And what’s worse is the Bills are a good team. He loses closes games with a good team, which keeps them from being a great team. It’s pretty much that simple. He’s the coach, and he loses. I don’t need to blame players in a “blame McDermott” thread, see.. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

That was very thorough. I really hoped you stopped to breathe after writing it and had paper towels right next to you to wipe the sweat off your forehead. Did you check your blood pressure? How are them fingers feeling? Did you ice them after typing all that?

In hindsight, I should’ve moved to Barrow, AK, invested in Brawny, had my oxygen tank turned up to max, and meditated before typing 😆

Why hasn’t McDermott cleaned out his office yet?! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, rm -rf /* said:

Getting rid of McDermott is one of the stupidest things this franchise could do. We have such an illustrious record of landing head coaches that it rivals our ability to land franchise QB's!  Grass is not always greener.  After Levy and Wade we were just a gold mine of head coaching talent: Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug "Obviously" Marrone, Rex Ryan, Anthony Lynn. Grass in never greener on the other side.  I will take McDermott, thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_head_coaches

Sorry, but wrong. Every single one of those coaches did not have a franchise quarterback. You cannot evaluate this HC based on what Bills head coaches did 20 years ago.

Am I living in fantasyland myself or something..? Serious question. I don’t agree with one statement made about keeping this big moment loser. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I hate to break this to you, but McDermott‘s not going anywhere. They could lose every game from here on out and he would still be here.

That's just not true.  He may well be back, but asserting that the chance of him being canned is ZERO is just not accurate.

Wait to see how the season plays out.

A couple of losses to KC and Dallas followed by a team quit with nothing to play for and things could get very ugly very quickly.

(As one example).

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I read this stuff from Bills fans wanting to replace the best HC this franchise has seen since Marv Levy and the best GM since Bill Polian. 

A few things come to mind, are these really Buffalo Bills fans or Dolphins, Jets, and Patriots fans wanting to stir the pot on getting rid of an HC that has been kicking their butts the last few seasons? 

So, if these mostly are Buffalo Bills fans does this fanbase even deserve to get to a Super Bowl with all the whining and complaining from these so-called fans when things go wrong? Every NFL team faces adversity and injuries and I didn't read that the Ravens fans wanted to fire Harbough when the team went 8-9 in 2021. 

Did McD or Beane cause the defense to lose 3 of their best players early this season? Or lose so many defensive players last season?

I can understand why McD waited to fire Ken Dorsey as he did a great job last season and there were a few game stretches this season when the Bills beat the Raiders, Commanders, and Miami Dolphins. That Dolphin win 48-20 with the offense humming on all cylinders.  

Beaten by the Jaguars, Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos and almost beaten by the NY Giants, and Buccaneers too. It was the Buffalo offense falling on its face as they couldn't score in the first half for some reason. McD did the right thing as the offense has found itself again under new OC Joe Brady. 

Currently, the Buffalo Bills are one of the very best teams in the NFL and the fan base needs to calm down on wanting to change things. I'll bet that the Patriots owner is hoping that Buffalo FO listens to some disgruntled Bills fans and fires McD so he can hire him to win the AFC East again. 

Bengals CB1 was lost for the season last year and then they kicked the **** out of us with 3 backup OL. 

Beane got McDermott Joseph & Douglas to replace Jones & White.  Replacing Milano has been tricky, but most everyone deals with injuries. 

We apparently have a defensive minded head coach who needs a loaded defense that doesn’t sustain injuries in order for us to compete at a high level.  

Bills have a Top 2 QB who they ask to do far more than the other Top 2 QB but sure…. I guess we can pretend McDermott is the reason for our resurgence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s like those who don’t want McD gone at the end of the year fail to recognize the repeated gaffs he seems to make in big games (and even against lesser teams).
The Bills are inconsistent because their HC is inconsistent. Cry me a river about all those inferior rosters coaches had to work with during the drought years. After 6 years, we’ve plateaued with McDermott and it’s time for change. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's just not true.  He may well be back, but asserting that the chance of him being canned is ZERO is just not accurate.

A couple of losses to KC and Dallas followed by a team quit with nothing to play for and things could get very ugly very quickly.

(As one example).

I said what I said
The latter half of our season, literally fall apart, and McDermott would still be here

Be careful what you wish for... as the next 5-10 Buffalo Bills head coaches might be what this franchise had in the 2000s.  One of them might just ruin QB Josh Allen and then where would the team be?

Change isn't always for the better, simply ask the Raiders, Chargers, NY Jets, Browns, Titans, Colts, Giants, Commanders, Bears, Packers, Buccaneers, Panthers, Cardinals fans. How many first-round pick QBs did the Cleveland Browns ruin so far and have they ever even been to a SB? 

Andrew Luck was a generational NFL QB who was drafted in 2012 and took his team to the playoffs right away. 2012-2013-2014 and was so badly injured by bad decisions from bad coaches that he decided to retire in 2018. 

Right now this team is STILL on the verge of getting to a Super Bowl and all so many fans can do is rant about making changes to the HC. :bag: An HC who is already second on the Buffalo Bills for most NFL wins.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Right now this team is STILL on the verge of getting to a Super Bowl and all so many fans can do is rant about making changes to the HC. :bag: An HC who is already second on the Buffalo Bills for most NFL wins.

This team is not on the verge of going to the SB.

In fact this team is likely to not even make the playoffs. 

Are you talking about next year?

Is McD magically going to get smarter; make good decisions at crucial moments; grow a pair of balls and start having a winning mentality in close games, instead of clinging in fear to a fragile lead in the 4th quarter? Is he suddenly going to become more situationally aware and know what to do instead of panicking?

McD has been the same guy in those situations over and over, why would you expect him to change?

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

(As one example).

The contract extension is why I think it's close to zero.   However, at the end of the season if I'm Pegula I'm talking to the core players/leaders on the team (Allen, Diggs, Milano, Dawkins, Oliver) and see what they think of McDermott.  If he gets the impression McD's message has gone stale then it's time to cut bait.  If they're still willing to go to war for him then give it another season.  The easiest transition would be to promote Joe Brady to head coach, keep Beane as GM, and promote a DC from within.

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

They're 6-6.  Unless they buy Super Bowl tickets they're not on the verge of going there.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Be careful what you wish for... as the next 5-10 Buffalo Bills head coaches might be what this franchise had in the 2000s.  One of them might just ruin QB Josh Allen and then where would the team be?

Change isn't always for the better, simply ask the Raiders, Chargers, NY Jets, Browns, Titans, Colts, Giants, Commanders, Bears, Packers, Buccaneers, Panthers, Cardinals fans. How many first-round pick QBs did the Cleveland Browns ruin so far and have they ever even been to a SB? 

Andrew Luck was a generational NFL QB who was drafted in 2012 and took his team to the playoffs right away. 2012-2013-2014 and was so badly injured by bad decisions from bad coaches that he decided to retire in 2018. 

What a bunch of bunk.  He was slow in developing Allen imo, made bad decision after bad in game decisions, bad in one score games and vs. better teams his record is not great either (outside regular season vs. KC). 

Welcome to the McD fan club. 

9 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

McD wouldn’t be the HC right now if Allen wasn’t the QB.  And a lot of Bills previous coaches would have been given more time if they had a QB like Allen playing at such a high level. It’s wasn’t McD who turned Allen into something great, he’s the same clown that seen Peterman every day in practice and thought he was a starter. 
He broke the drought with a 9-7 record, we had other coaches finish the season with 9-7 records but never had the same luck. Until Josh raised his game, that’s when we consistently started making playoffs. McD just was the lucky SOB to be HC at the time. 

O has had struggles this year, Allen has struggled but you can’t play perfect football every week and you can still win games despite it. We had our chances at the end and McDs D has totally let us down. Even against bad teams. When we play good teams it’s not gonna matter how many points the O scores because other good teams can match it against his D.  And when it comes down to the final minutes we can’t just be relying on our O to have the ball last. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

McDermott can - and unfortunately for me - must get another year if he gets to the AFCCG this season. If the Bills get beat in any fashion (especially another close game loss) in the divisional round, see ya, McD.

If McDermott’s presser after the Eagles game is any indication of what his thought process was with 20 seconds left, he’s a fired man coaching. He’s ridiculous. I can’t even believe his excuses for his decisions to not at least attempt a positive play on first down with 20 seconds. His words alone are cause for termination at this stage. But Pegula won’t do it until after the season, I think.

TP1 should cut ties now, but that’d mean replacing the HC AND DC, after just replacing the OC, what’s that leave - the special teams coordinator..? Please.

See what McDermott did there.. he’s either a a coward and setting up coaches and players to take his fall (which everything out of his mouth points to), or he’s totally unaware of what he’s saying, which I don’t believe he is. 

McD’s Reasons for kneeling:

The Eagles pass rush. One Sack in 59 drop backs, and Allen was escaping the pressure all night and gaining with his legs. Thanks, but try again, Sean.

I used a timeout on the Eagles possession to “end the game” on third down to get the right defensive in to make the stop, then “emptied out the next one” to make the kicker think about it because it’s in the rain. What are you even talking about, Sean?? This made no sense. Again, what does this have to do with 20 seconds/one timeout??

I don’t like either timeout anyways! You allowed the Eagles to do what offenses like to do - prepare! A timeout spent on that 3rd & 17 with an already stopped clock and after a false start. This is what McDermott is hanging his hat on - this timeout, leading to the incomplete pass on third down to force the 59 yard kick. Then we spend another timeout on a dead ball to ice the kicker. WHAT??? He’s so proud of himself for this he’s bragging about it! Haven’t we seen enough of a mess on late game field goals this year to NOT CALL A SUPER VALUABLE TIMEOUT TO ICE AN ALREADY COLD KICKER?? I believe he’s scapegoating the special teams coordinator. See, look! Because you screwed up the Denver FG, look what I have to do to make sure we have 11 on the field.. What a loser move.

The Bills down to one timeout, knowing if Elliott makes it we are timeout depleted going forward. But for whatever reason, that all makes sense to this head coach.. So, the other team’s kicker is the scapegoat for his POOR TIMEOUT MANAGEMENT, AGAIN.. like a broken record. McDermott is claiming he did everything perfectly, and it’s the kicker’s fault for making it. 

We did our job defensively to force a tough kick. So what?! What in the hell does that have to do with what’s happening on the other side with 20 seconds left?! 

The Rain. In other words.. I don’t trust our kicker. This is stupid of course. Elliott just made a 59 yarder and Bass has a better leg, and Jesus.. who’s to say you can’t complete three passes and end up with a 40 yard field goal?? I still can’t believe he said this. Cannot believe it. Scapegoat: Bass.

In overtime, we should have scored 6 and ended it on our first possession. Again, weirdo McDermott, what’s this got to do with your stupid decision to spend timeouts on defense and not at least try to move the ball with 20 seconds left in regulation?? Scapegoat: Josh and Gabe Davis for not hooking up for 6 in OT.

Hindsight’s 20/20. I’m so sick of hearing this guy say this. F him for spewing this stupid scapegoat of a one liner at us again. Great, you should be a historian Sean, instead of an NFL coach who gets paid millions to make the right calls IN THE MOMENT. Go ‘hindsight’ somewhere else, please. I’m done with you. Please please please go away. Play to not win somewhere else. Go somewhere else to be the fantasyland defensive genius that you’ve been crowned by NFL media for some weird reason. Can’t wait to meet up in the Big games against you.

McDermott played for Overtime on the road @ Philly after the Eagles came back twice from 10 points down in the second half and ended up scoring 30 POINTS after the half on YOUR DEFENSE. ‘Go get ‘em, Sean!’

The idiot should’ve tried to steal one on the road against the best team in football, even after he butchered the timeout situation leading up to the KNEEL DOWN. He failed again. He always seems to fail, doesn’t he..??

Sean McDermott’s real definition of complimentary football is that he gets to burn all Buffalo Bills assets—off-season, in-season, and in-game—on HIS defense. He’s strictly a selfish head coach. In the immortal words of Coach Singletary: “Cannot play with ‘em; Cannot win with ‘em…Can’t do it!

I say we trade McD and Beane to the Carolina Panthers this offseason. That way we don’t pay there salaries on the way out and they go back to the place they always wanted to be in . Win win for everyone involved. I’d ask them for a conditional 7th rd pk to get the deal done. 😂 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What a bunch of bunk.  He was slow in developing Allen imo, made bad decision after bad in game decisions, bad in one score games and vs. better teams his record is not great either (outside regular season vs. KC). 

Welcome to the McD fan club. 

Welcome to the "I enjoy sucking for two decades fan club". Pretty sure you were in charge of something for Buddy Nix, right? Your logic is not sound. 

I am still waiting for that dam baby.

Can you imagine Sirianis stress knowing his defense couldn’t stop Josh Allen and they gave him 20 seconds?

then the “oh wow they are kneeling “ into or from the headset with the other coaches?

im sure he was extremely happy we didn’t try for it at least 

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

(As one example).

Have to agree 

the wheels fall off and he’s not going to be able to regroup this squad again - no way after 13 seconds and then last year and now the epic collapse of the franchise 

no way he is around if he loses these next two imo

Sean “kneel down” McMediocre.

You are what your record is.

you wasted the most talented Bills team in history, leading us to mediocrity.

you hold players accountable.  We hold you accountable.  You had to be both the coach and the DT(8 -2 minute collapses)- so you get double *****.

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sean “kneel down” McMediocre.

You are what your record is.

you wasted the most talented Bills team in history, leading us to mediocrity.

you hold players accountable.  We hold you accountable.  You had to be both the coach and the DT(8 -2 minute collapses)- so you get double *****.

He doesn’t hold everyone accountable, just a few. Doesn’t really hold any vet accountable for poor play. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Can you imagine Sirianis stress knowing his defense couldn’t stop Josh Allen and they gave him 20 seconds?

then the “oh wow they are kneeling “ into or from the headset with the other coaches?

Have to agree 

the wheels fall off and he’s not going to be able to regroup this squad again - no way after 13 seconds and then last year and now the epic collapse of the franchise 

Imagine! McDermott handed Siriani the best possible outcome in that situation, UNDISPUTED. 

Have to agree 

Imagine! McDermott handed Siriani the best possible outcome in that situation, UNDISPUTED. 

Have to agree 

Tim Graham: 

“Asked if there was any chance Pegula would fire McDermott, two of the sources replied “Zero.” The other two sources said they would be shocked if Pegula made such a move. All four sources have intimate knowledge of the Pegula-McDermott relationship.”

🤣🤣🤣

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, BananaB said:

McD wouldn’t be the HC right now if Allen wasn’t the QB.  And a lot of Bills previous coaches would have been given more time if they had a QB like Allen playing at such a high level. It’s wasn’t McD who turned Allen into something great, he’s the same clown that seen Peterman every day in practice and thought he was a starter. 
He broke the drought with a 9-7 record, we had other coaches finish the season with 9-7 records but never had the same luck. Until Josh raised his game, that’s when we consistently started making playoffs. McD just was the lucky SOB to be HC at the time. 

O has had struggles this year, Allen has struggled but you can’t play perfect football every week and you can still win games despite it. We had our chances at the end and McDs D has totally let us down. Even against bad teams. When we play good teams it’s not gonna matter how many points the O scores because other good teams can match it against his D.  And when it comes down to the final minutes we can’t just be relying on our O to have the ball last. 

Horsehocky! This HC went to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB! 

The Buffalo defense is usually top-five or better every season. Even with ALL the various injuries to many defensive players last season the Buffalo defense still finished the season #2 in points allowed and #6 in yards allowed. 

We all saw during that six-game stretch this season from Jacksonville to Denver that the offense can fall on its face even with a unicorn at QB like Josh Allen! This year's offense couldn't seem to score in the first half of several games. Yes, Josh Allen is the best player on the team...although he didn't change the six losses.

Let down by the defense? Even with losing star LBer Matt Milano, star CB Tre White, and star run stopper DaQuan Jones, (who BTW was having an outstanding season). The Buffalo defense is still #6 in points allowed and #11 in yards allowed. 

If there is one thing that I see that McD could use help with is that his assistants that are supposed to be helping with on the field calls as they need to be replaced. the man has his hands full watching the defense and calling defensive plays. Plus, special teams seem to be falling on its face at times this season. 

McD didn't run the wrong way or miss a pass in the end zone that could have won the Eagles game. If that one catch is made all the crazies with their torches and pitchforks are cheering instead of ranting for change. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

The Buffalo defense is usually top-five or better every season. Even with ALL the various injuries to many defensive players last season the Buffalo defense still finished the season #2 in points allowed and #6 in yards allowed. 

We all saw during that six-game stretch this season from Jacksonville to Denver that the offense can fall on its face even with a unicorn at QB like Josh Allen! This year's offense couldn't seem to score in the first half of several games. Yes, Josh Allen is the best player on the team...although he didn't change the six losses.

Let down by the defense? Even with losing star LBer Matt Milano, star CB Tre White, and star run stopper DaQuan Jones, (who BTW was having an outstanding season). The Buffalo defense is still #6 in points allowed and #11 in yards allowed. 

If there is one thing that I see that McD could use help with is that his assistants that are supposed to be helping with on the field calls as they need to be replaced. the man has his hands full watching the defense and calling defensive plays. Plus, special teams seem to be falling on its face at times this season. 

McD didn't run the wrong way or miss a pass in the end zone that could have won the Eagles game. If that one catch is made all the crazies with their torches and pitchforks are cheering instead of ranting for change. 

Last paragraph basically says it all. McD needs the O to play perfect because his D can’t get the job done in crucial situations. 

If McDs D could have made a stop in the last two minutes the game there wouldn’t be OT. I think that would be the only time us people with the pitchforks would be cheering. Instead they gave up the FG then the TD. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, John from Riverside said:

I hate to break this to you, but McDermott‘s not going anywhere. They could lose every game from here on out and he would still be here.

If he loses the lockeroom he is toast. He already has lost Diggs. Only a matter of time for others to follow suit.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Have to agree 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BananaB said:

Last paragraph basically says it all. McD needs the O to play perfect because his D can’t get the job done in crucial situations. 

If McDs D could have made a stop in the last two minutes the game there wouldn’t be OT. I think that would be the only time us people with the pitchforks would be cheering. Instead they gave up the FG then the TD. 

Jeez, that was the very best team in the NFL that Buffalo was playing and took them to overtime.  The 9-1 Eagles in Philly during a rainstorm. Buffalo lost that game to the very probable MVP in Jalen Hurts. 

So many things went wrong for Buffalo in that game, missed FG, blocked FG, the Philly kicker kicks a 59-yard FG on the grass in a rainstorm (play of the game)? Buffalo outplayed the NFC champs at their home, Buffalo ran the ball for 173 yards, and 2 TDs against the #1 run defense in the NFL. 505 total yards vs 378. ToP 40:30 vs 26.33. Net passing yards 332 vs 193. Third down conversions 13 of 22 vs 4 of 11.

And oh yeah, the Buffalo Bills fought the refs the entire game with bad calls throughout. 

But yeah, let's fire the coaching staff! 

• Like (+1) 1

Jeez, that was the very best team in the NFL that Buffalo was playing and took them to overtime.  The 9-1 Eagles in Philly during a rainstorm. Buffalo lost that game to the very probable MVP in Jalen Hurts. 

So many things went wrong for Buffalo in that game, missed FG, blocked FG, the Philly kicker kicks a 59-yard FG on the grass in a rainstorm (play of the game)? Buffalo outplayed the NFC champs at their home, Buffalo ran the ball for 173 yards, and 2 TDs against the #1 run defense in the NFL. 505 total yards vs 378. ToP 40:30 vs 26.33. Net passing yards 332 vs 193. Third down conversions 13 of 22 vs 4 of 11.

And oh yeah, the Buffalo Bills fought the refs the entire game with bad calls throughout. 

But yeah, let's fire the coaching staff! 

What’s the excuses for the other loses? They are starting to pile up. Doesn’t matter if a team is 9-1 or 2-9, no lead is safe with McD calling the plays

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BananaB said:

What’s the excuses for the other loses? They are starting to pile up. Doesn’t matter if a team is 9-1 or 2-9, no lead is safe with McD calling the plays

Yeah, like the total big 3 losses last season when the team went 13-3 despite losing half the defense to injuries?

Most of the losses this season are from the offense not scoring in the first half of six games. The defense constantly needs to take the field when the offense can't make a first down and gets worn out by the fourth quarter...even after losing the all-pro star LBer, all-pro star CB, best-run stuffer DT. 

From what I've read this HC is not getting fired this season even if they lose most of their remaining games. Might need to jump off the bandwagon and find a new team to rant about or find a dog to kick.

Yeah, like the total big 3 losses last season when the team went 13-3 despite losing half the defense to injuries?

Most of the losses this season are from the offense not scoring in the first half of six games. The defense constantly needs to take the field when the offense can't make a first down and gets worn out by the fourth quarter...even after losing the all-pro star LBer, all-pro star CB, best-run stuffer DT. 

From what I've read this HC is not getting fired this season even if they lose most of their remaining games. Might need to jump off the bandwagon and find a new team to rant about or find a dog to kick.

Keep at it with the excuses. Doesn’t matter how many injuries you have, Mac Jones should not be going the length of the field in the final 2 minutes. 

I’ve been here through more misery than this pal

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Are you saying mediocre NFL head coaches have never made the playoffs with a mediocre QB?

Does ghat give you a lifetime contract?

He has a legitimate stud at QB. Some pretty good defenses too.

All he has to show for it is a failed AFC title game appearance.

That’s not good.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Jags were about to kick a FG at the end of the game with :30 left and clock running. Bengals use 1 of their 2 TOs to stop the clock.

Bengals get the ball back with about :26 left and 1 TO. Might as well just kneel down and go to OT, right?

NO

They at least TRY to run a few plays and get into FG range. It didn't work, but they were close. And at least they TRIED. And with Jake Browning at QB, not even Josh Allen...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Didn’t read through all of this but what McDs ‘strategy’ showed is that he has ZERO confidence in his Franchise QB to not turn the ball over with 20 seconds left. For that alone, he should be fired! 

I wonder if he just didn't have faith in Bass to make the FG if josh did get them in range. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.