Kneel Down Game: Final Nail in McD’s Coach Coffin

Thrivefourfive

McDermott can - and unfortunately for me - must get another year if he gets to the AFCCG this season. If the Bills get beat in any fashion (especially another close game loss) in the divisional round, see ya, McD.

If McDermott’s presser after the Eagles game is any indication of what his thought process was with 20 seconds left, he’s a fired man coaching. He’s ridiculous. I can’t even believe his excuses for his decisions to not at least attempt a positive play on first down with 20 seconds. His words alone are cause for termination at this stage. But Pegula won’t do it until after the season, I think.

TP1 should cut ties now, but that’d mean replacing the HC AND DC, after just replacing the OC, what’s that leave - the special teams coordinator..? Please.

See what McDermott did there.. he’s either a a coward and setting up coaches and players to take his fall (which everything out of his mouth points to), or he’s totally unaware of what he’s saying, which I don’t believe he is. 

McD’s Reasons for kneeling:

The Eagles pass rush. One Sack in 59 drop backs, and Allen was escaping the pressure all night and gaining with his legs. Thanks, but try again, Sean.

I used a timeout on the Eagles possession to “end the game” on third down to get the right defensive in to make the stop, then “emptied out the next one” to make the kicker think about it because it’s in the rain. What are you even talking about, Sean?? This made no sense. Again, what does this have to do with 20 seconds/one timeout??

I don’t like either timeout anyways! You allowed the Eagles to do what offenses like to do - prepare! A timeout spent on that 3rd & 17 with an already stopped clock and after a false start. This is what McDermott is hanging his hat on - this timeout, leading to the incomplete pass on third down to force the 59 yard kick. Then we spend another timeout on a dead ball to ice the kicker. WHAT??? He’s so proud of himself for this he’s bragging about it! Haven’t we seen enough of a mess on late game field goals this year to NOT CALL A SUPER VALUABLE TIMEOUT TO ICE AN ALREADY COLD KICKER?? I believe he’s scapegoating the special teams coordinator. See, look! Because you screwed up the Denver FG, look what I have to do to make sure we have 11 on the field.. What a loser move.

The Bills down to one timeout, knowing if Elliott makes it we are timeout depleted going forward. But for whatever reason, that all makes sense to this head coach.. So, the other team’s kicker is the scapegoat for his POOR TIMEOUT MANAGEMENT, AGAIN.. like a broken record. McDermott is claiming he did everything perfectly, and it’s the kicker’s fault for making it. 

We did our job defensively to force a tough kick. So what?! What in the hell does that have to do with what’s happening on the other side with 20 seconds left?! 

The Rain. In other words.. I don’t trust our kicker. This is stupid of course. Elliott just made a 59 yarder and Bass has a better leg, and Jesus.. who’s to say you can’t complete three passes and end up with a 40 yard field goal?? I still can’t believe he said this. Cannot believe it. Scapegoat: Bass.

In overtime, we should have scored 6 and ended it on our first possession. Again, weirdo McDermott, what’s this got to do with your stupid decision to spend timeouts on defense and not at least try to move the ball with 20 seconds left in regulation?? Scapegoat: Josh and Gabe Davis for not hooking up for 6 in OT.

Hindsight’s 20/20. I’m so sick of hearing this guy say this. F him for spewing this stupid scapegoat of a one liner at us again. Great, you should be a historian Sean, instead of an NFL coach who gets paid millions to make the right calls IN THE MOMENT. Go ‘hindsight’ somewhere else, please. I’m done with you. Please please please go away. Play to not win somewhere else. Go somewhere else to be the fantasyland defensive genius that you’ve been crowned by NFL media for some weird reason. Can’t wait to meet up in the Big games against you.

McDermott played for Overtime on the road @ Philly after the Eagles came back twice from 10 points down in the second half and ended up scoring 30 POINTS after the half on YOUR DEFENSE. ‘Go get ‘em, Sean!’

The idiot should’ve tried to steal one on the road against the best team in football, even after he butchered the timeout situation leading up to the KNEEL DOWN. He failed again. He always seems to fail, doesn’t he..??

Sean McDermott’s real definition of complimentary football is that he gets to burn all Buffalo Bills assets—off-season, in-season, and in-game—on HIS defense. He’s strictly a selfish head coach. In the immortal words of Coach Singletary: “Cannot play with ‘em; Cannot win with ‘em…Can’t do it!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 19
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I hate to break this to you, but McDermott‘s not going anywhere. They could lose every game from here on out and he would still be here.

With no way of me being able to prove different, or you for that matter, If the Bills bottom out I’d be shocked if a move isn’t made at HC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I hate to break this to you, but McDermott‘s not going anywhere. They could lose every game from here on out and he would still be here.

I hear you. But that’s just in possible, right?!

There’s a web connecting McD, Beane & Pegulas. Pegula has a longer leash on those two because McBeane drafted Allen. But this thing has unfortunately played out. I’m sure Pegula won’t base his decision solely on McDermott’s press conference, but even after a 24 hour cooling done period, his line of thinking in that game is the reason he should complete the firing. 

Pegula’s next decision is whether or not to keep Beane. I hope Beane, who’s drafted for McDermott’s defense, shows enough to Pegula that he can now draft offense, for a new offensive coach. I’d give Beane more time to evolve here. But McDermott has to go.  He’s lucky he’s still employed. But like Napoleon Bonaparte said, Luck is genius. McDermott has scapegoated so many coaches, players and situations, he’s difficult to fire mid season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

He didn’t really say the defense did its job to force a tough kick, did he? Please tell me that isn’t true. The defense’s job isn’t to force a tough kick, it’s to stop the opposing team from even having an opportunity to kick. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I'd agree that under most scenarios McD is still here next year.  Losing out is one of the scenarios where he is probably let go

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He didn’t really say the defense did its job to force a tough kick, did he? Please tell me that isn’t true. The defense’s job isn’t to force a tough kick, it’s to stop the opposing team from even having an opportunity to kick. 

Yep. Insane message he gave, in the weirdest way to explain why he kneeled. The guy is a joke.

On Philly’s last drive, Hurts completed five straight passes to go right down the field. The Eagles spent all three timeouts, and there was approximately 30 seconds left in the game when McDermott inexcusably wasted two more timeouts to basically give Philly a five timeout drive. 

11:40 mark

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

This is unfortunately the most likely truth. The ONE and ONLY ONE thing that I feel could cost McDermott his job is if the players are losing out and just flat out revolt. I just don't see that happening either.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is unfortunately the most likely truth. The ONE and ONLY ONE thing that I feel could cost McDermott his job is if the players are losing out and just flat out revolt. I just don't see that happening either.

Josh Allen. That’s the guy who can and should lead this thing. He should, and I think is, be most aware of McDermott’s shortcomings. As a man, he has to get fed up with coaching not holding up their end. He can’t accept that any longer. Go time is now, and every single game Allen plays in goes up in magnitude simply because he’s figured out a lot in this league and time is ticking. I just hope JA17 has the right people in his ear assuring him that his HC IS THE PROBLEM. 

Pegula has to get Josh’s input. When he gives it, he doesn’t owe it to this coach to lie to the owner and be soft about his feelings for McDermott’s job performance. Once Allen tells Pegula, that’s ball game for sure. 

I wonder… if Allen’s easy off season is keeping him from taking that step. He didn’t put himself in the best possible position to hold coaches and teammates accountable. Just a guess. 

McDermott admitted that he has issues with Josh’s off season. And it can’t be the girlfriend. That’s not professional. McDermott thinks he can check Allen because he thinks he has that card in hand, that Allen didn’t commit himself to football 100%. Allen needs to check raise that junk and lay it down. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

People keep saying stuff about Josh’s off-season being lazy or lackluster. What did he do (or not do)? What has he stated about this publicly? Did McD address it at any point? 

Edited by JPL7

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I didn't see Andy Reid burn any of his 3 timeouts on defense before Josh hit Gabe on what should've been the game winner.  McD runs a game like a confused child.  Timeouts give him a chance to think.

Or Belichick allowing the Seahawks to throw a pick without calling timeout before the biggest defensive call of his career. Jesus, just think.. McDermott would’ve called three straight timeouts and taken penalties in that situation. 

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 4

As historically bad as your takes have been it’s fantastic that you keep making up certainties based solely on your own gut.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, JPL7 said:

People keep saying stuff about Josh’s off-season being lazy or lackluster. What did he do (or not do)? What has he stated about this publicly? Did McD address it at any point? 

His philosophy was ‘less is more’. He got away from the game to be better prepared for the regular season. 4 INTs against the Jets week one is how that turned out. He’s also said watching less film and playing more by instinct was a net positive. Do I have that right, guys?

He shouldn’t have done that, and if people on in his circle wouldn’t tell him that, then people in the organization should have. Who knows, maybe McDermott confronted him about it at some point. McDermott spoke about it like he has a gripe, and he’ll address it when the time is appropriate. High school drama. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well if that is true, and I don't think it is, then this organization is in more trouble than we thought.  Fans can always protest with their wallets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

McDermott played for Overtime on the road @ Philly

someone on the sideline should have reminded him of his coaching record in OT games. 

he won’t last more than a game or two after the Mafia purchases a Fire McDermott billboard. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

McDermott can - and unfortunately for me - must get another year if he gets to the AFCCG this season. If the Bills get beat in any fashion (especially another close game loss) in the divisional round, see ya, McD.

If McDermott’s presser after the Eagles game is any indication of what his thought process was with 20 seconds left, he’s a fired man coaching. He’s ridiculous. I can’t even believe his excuses for his decisions to not at least attempt a positive play on first down with 20 seconds. His words alone are cause for termination at this stage. But Pegula won’t do it until after the season, I think.

TP1 should cut ties now, but that’d mean replacing the HC AND DC, after just replacing the OC, what’s that leave - the special teams coordinator..? Please.

See what McDermott did there.. he’s either a a coward and setting up coaches and players to take his fall (which everything out of his mouth points to), or he’s totally unaware of what he’s saying, which I don’t believe he is. 

The Eagles pass rush. One Sack in 59 drop backs, and Allen was escaping the pressure all night and gaining with his legs. Thanks, but try again, Sean.

I used a timeout on the Eagles possession to “end the game” on third down to get the right defensive in to make the stop, then “emptied out the next one” to make the kicker think about it because it’s in the rain. What are you even talking about, Sean?? This made no sense. Again, what does this have to do with 20 seconds/one timeout??

I don’t like either timeout anyways! You allowed the Eagles to do what offenses like to do - prepare! A timeout spent on that 3rd & 17 with an already stopped clock and after a false start. This is what McDermott is hanging his hat on - this timeout, leading to the incomplete pass on third down to force the 59 yard kick. Then we spend another timeout on a dead ball to ice the kicker. WHAT??? He’s so proud of himself for this he’s bragging about it! Haven’t we seen enough of a mess on late game field goals this year to NOT CALL A SUPER VALUABLE TIMEOUT TO ICE AN ALREADY COLD KICKER?? I believe he’s scapegoating the special teams coordinator. See, look! Because you screwed up the Denver FG, look what I have to do to make sure we have 11 on the field.. What a loser move.

The Bills down to one timeout, knowing if Elliott makes it we are timeout depleted going forward. But for whatever reason, that all makes sense to this head coach.. So, the other team’s kicker is the scapegoat for his POOR TIMEOUT MANAGEMENT, AGAIN.. like a broken record. McDermott is claiming he did everything perfectly, and it’s the kicker’s fault for making it. 

We did our job defensively to force a tough kick. So what?! What in the hell does that have to do with what’s happening on the other side with 20 seconds left?! 

The Rain. In other words.. I don’t trust our kicker. This is stupid of course. Elliott just made a 59 yarder and Bass has a better leg, and Jesus.. who’s to say you can’t complete three passes and end up with a 40 yard field goal?? I still can’t believe he said this. Cannot believe it. Scapegoat: Bass.

In overtime, we should have scored 6 and ended it on our first possession. Again, weirdo McDermott, what’s this got to do with your stupid decision to spend timeouts on defense and not at least try to move the ball with 20 seconds left in regulation?? Scapegoat: Josh and Gabe Davis for not hooking up for 6 in OT.

Hindsight’s 20/20. I’m so sick of hearing this guy say this. F him for spewing this stupid scapegoat of a one liner at us again. Great, you should be a historian Sean, instead of an NFL coach who gets paid millions to make the right calls IN THE MOMENT. Go ‘hindsight’ somewhere else, please. I’m done with you. Please please please go away. Play to not win somewhere else. Go somewhere else to be the fantasyland defensive genius that you’ve been crowned by NFL media for some weird reason. Can’t wait to meet up in the Big games against you.

McDermott played for Overtime on the road @ Philly after the Eagles came back twice from 10 points down in the second half and ended up scoring 30 POINTS after the half on YOUR DEFENSE. ‘Go get ‘em, Sean!’

The idiot should’ve tried to steal one on the road against the best team in football, even after he butchered the timeout situation leading up to the KNEEL DOWN. He failed again. He always seems to fail, doesn’t he..??

Sean McDermott’s real definition of complimentary football is that he gets to burn all Buffalo Bills assets—off-season, in-season, and in-game—on HIS defense. He’s strictly a selfish head coach. In the immortal words of Coach Singletary: “Cannot play with ‘em; Cannot win with ‘em…Can’t do it!

I highlight the part that really struck out to me. By removing Dorsey, which I believe was the right thing to do as I’m sure he did. But he also fabricated another layer of cushion to keep his job. IF… things went even worse for him than before the Dorsey firing, he made it practically impossible to fire him mid season. The team would be left without a HC, OC, and DC. Pretty genius if you ask me. In fact, just for that I think he should keep his job. It’s a shrewd move and something only a man of desperation would think of. I’m sold. Let’s keep him another 10 years. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JPL7 said:

He played and watched a lot of golf. Then lamented that he couldn’t watch more golf because of training camp. Add to that no visible offseason training of any kind and it’s a bad look when the team struggles like it has this season. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Or Belichick allowing the Seahawks to throw a pick without calling timeout before the biggest defensive call of his career. Jesus, just think.. McDermott would’ve called three straight timeouts and taken penalties in that situation. 

I'm telling you he calls timeouts not to make some amazing strategic move, but to simply give him the extra time to think about what his next move will be?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just the Philly game -

-McDermott was scared of Philly’s pass rush (that wasn’t there). -He was scared of the rain (that both teams played in). -And he was in awe of the other kicker (not his own). 

To top it all off, he thought the Bills should have won the game on three separate occasions! 

How wrong can one coach be in a game?!

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I hear you. But that’s just in possible, right?!

There’s a web connecting McD, Beane & Pegulas. Pegula has a longer leash on those two because McBeane drafted Allen. But this thing has unfortunately played out. I’m sure Pegula won’t base his decision solely on McDermott’s press conference, but even after a 24 hour cooling done period, his line of thinking in that game is the reason he should complete the firing. 

Pegula’s next decision is whether or not to keep Beane. I hope Beane, who’s drafted for McDermott’s defense, shows enough to Pegula that he can now draft offense, for a new offensive coach. I’d give Beane more time to evolve here. But McDermott has to go.  He’s lucky he’s still employed. But like Napoleon Bonaparte said, Luck is genius. McDermott has scapegoated so many coaches, players and situations, he’s difficult to fire mid season. 

This ^^^. Only way I see McD fired is if Allen and/ a groups of players approaches him and says he’s lost the faith of the team. 

This is a gutless thread.  In the past people used to directly state what the issue is.  They didn't hide behind vague language and project all sorts of machinations and conniving motives.   Back in the old days they would just state the truth: Sean McDermott is the son of Satan and drinks babies' blood.  This lame attempt at character assassination is like kneeling at offensive 10 in a tie game with 1 minute left and 3 timeouts.  Gutless.

In the Jets game... Right before half, JA17 threw up a HailMary that was almost taken back to the house. That and the Miami pick on Black Friday weighed on his mind in taking a knee.

BUT... He still left it up to a coin-toss and possibly having to trot his D out there first. 

I don't hold it against him considering the weather conditions either. 

6 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Hindsight’s 20/20. I’m so sick of hearing this guy say this. F him for spewing this stupid scapegoat of a one liner at us again.

“I’m rolling that back a million times in my mind and hopefully we’re in that situation again,” McDermott said.

Translation: “I f***** up”. (and no one will figure that out)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ncf3k6q8oq78xbmmir

Edited by I am the egg man

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What do you base this on? Do you have any sources or it is just your opinion?

Because I strongly disagree. I am willing to bet that if we lose from here on he's as good as gone. I think he is most likely gone if we miss playoff anyway.

People are underestimating Pegula imo. Yes McD's position seemed strong before the year started, but I am pretty sure they are paying attention too. If basically all fans like me, i.e. those who thought he was a good coach now want him to go, then ownership also has to be affected. JMO of course.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In the Jets game... Right before half, JA17 threw up a HailMary that was almost taken back to the house. That and the Miami pick on Black Friday weighed on his mind in taking a knee.

BUT... He still left it up to a coin-toss and possibly having to trot his D out there first. 

I don't hold it against him considering the weather conditions either. 

Passing up a chance to win in regulation when there was a chance they would not even get another possession in OT is gutless and just plain stupid. People would have clearly seen just how stupid it was if the Bills had lost the coin toss and had never got another possession. Just because the Bills happened to win the toss doesn't make his decision any better. 

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Disagree. He may have more leighway than most here believe, but there's no way he would survive losing all the remaining games.

• Agree 1

:13 KC epic loss

:22 Detroit epic win JA17

:20 Eagles. 17 playing lights out. 

that he didn’t even try with 17. 
Given above history? The man is not growing and may well be regressing now.

so blatantly poor decision. 

Edited by Since1981
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't have a big problem with the kneel down,  both teams were limited in big plays. Ì wouldn't mind if they did but it was terrible conditions with 1 timeout. Philly just kicked a miraculous FG

Our kicker missed 2 from 40 or less. Lot of variables 

I’m not upset about it either. Josh had already threw a costly interception to give Philly the lead. Then on the very next drive..he almost threw another interception that the defender dropped. Then just two weeks prior he threw a INT right before halftime vs. Denver. No doubt all that was going through McDermott’s mind..that’s why he kneeled it. 

• Disagree 2

9 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I don't understand why you folks with the "fire everybody" mentally after each loss want to fire Beane.  He has built an extremly talented team.  But you don't seem to take into account the devastating injuries this team has suffered through this year.  The fact that we are compedative in each game is amazing.

By your standards, every coach that doesn't win the Superbowl each year should be fired.

Football is entertainment.  It is not life or death.

Chill out.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you got your black coaches mixed up.

Herm Edwards.  I stand corrected. The quote sticks with me more than the source.  You have seemed to miss the point entirely though.

”You play to win the game”. Not Sean

50 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I don't understand why you folks with the "fire everybody" mentally after each loss want to fire Beane.  He has built an extremly talented team.  But you don't seem to take into account the devastating injuries this team has suffered through this year.  The fact that we are compedative in each game is amazing.

By your standards, every coach that doesn't win the Superbowl each year should be fired.

Football is entertainment.  It is not life or death.

Chill out.

They can't help it!

SOMEONE MUST TAKE THE BLAME FOR NOT WINNING AN SB!!   

I WANT MY MAYPO!!!!

I WANT IT NOW!!!

It really is ridiculous how much crap this man takes for building one of the best teams in the NFL. All the injuries last season and now this season to the defense and yet it wasn't the defense that was the problem this year. McD fired the problem in Ken Dorsey and that guy was one his QB Josh Allen endorsed...so he needed to be certain. The defensive problem for the 13 seconds is also now gone. 

Look at what just happened in the last Buffalo Bills game. They took the NFC Champion to OT and lost because of a few mistakes and bad referee calls. Buffalo should have won that game.

This fan base needs to relax and stop needing to blame the coaches or GM.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.