The Salary Cap will doom us all (hope that title is better)

Pine Barrens Mafia

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care that we have the melon farmer and some think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This team is in year one of a minimum three year playoff drought.  "Why, Pine?" You might ask. Well, it's simple, really. It's the salary cap. (All numbers 2024 per spotrac)

First up is the melon farmer himself, at a whopping 47 MILLION dollars next year. He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag.

Next we have the illustrious Non Miller with a 23 MILLION dollar cap hit for zero tackles, zero pressures, zero forced fumbles, zero production.

The next nothingburger with an enormous cap hit is Dawson Knox, who's got us on the hook for 14.4 million dollars. 

Tre White is next, feel bad for the guy, but his career is over. 16.6 against the 24 salary cap.

That's 101 million dollars in cap hoovered up by four players, and we can't really do a whole hell of a lot to get out from under that load in 24 or 25. Now, that only half the equation. The other half is the replacements to be necessary in the upcoming two years:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Milano - love the guy, but I have doubts about his future long term

Morse - long in the tooth

Davis - need better

Epenesa/Groot - given the cap, no way we keep both

Diggs - yes, diggs. He's 29 THIS YEAR. We're going to need to replace him soon.

This list isn't all inclusive but you get the point. The point is, we're not WASTING the melon farmer's prime years, we've WASTED them. By the time this team next sniffs the playoffs, it'll be the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-six, and Josh Allen will be 30 years old.

Will he be better at 30 than now? I have my doubts.

What's the fix? ***** if I know at this point but what I do know is this team, as it's constituted today is done now and into the intermediate term. Flane away haters, but numbers don't lie.

Can think of a "fan" or two I would be willing to trade...

Edited by pocoboy
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Josh Allen hate by some on this board is out of control.

The fact that some people can not see how great he is and how many problems he masks is incredible to me.

The dude almost single handedly beat the eagles and the refs last night lol an absolutely incredible performance.  If he ain’t worth the money idk who is 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care that we have the melon farmer and some think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This team is in year one of a minimum three year playoff drought.  "Why, Pine?" You might ask. Well, it's simple, really. It's the salary cap. (All numbers 2024 per spotrac)

First up is the melon farmer himself, at a whopping 47 MILLION dollars next year. He's gotta be a whole lot better than what he is at that price tag.

Next we have the illustrious Non Miller with a 23 MILLION dollar cap hit for zero tackles, zero pressures, zero forced fumbles, zero production.

The next nothingburger with an enormous cap hit is Dawson Knox, who's got us on the hook for 14.4 million dollars. 

Tre White is next, feel bad for the guy, but his career is over. 16.6 against the 24 salary cap.

That's 101 million dollars in cap hoovered up by four players, and we can't really do a whole hell of a lot to get out from under that load in 24 or 25. Now, that only half the equation. The other half is the replacements to be necessary in the upcoming two years:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

This list isn't all inclusive but you get the point. The point is, we're not WASTING the melon farmer's prime years, we've WASTED them. By the time this team next sniffs the playoffs, it'll be the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-six, and Josh Allen will be 30 years old.

What's the fix? ***** if I know at this point but what I do know is this team, as it's constituted today is done now and into the intermediate term. Flane away haters, but numbers don't lie.

You lost me with the melon farmer nonsense. If you can’t see his value after yesterday’s game, your posts should ignored and rendered nonsensical. How do you know how long it takes to get back to the playoffs in the AFCE.? How long did it Houston to be competitive? Just another doomsday clown.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Eastport bills said:

You lost me with the melon farmer nonsense. If you can’t see his value after yesterday’s game, your posts should ignored and rendered nonsensical. How do you know how long it takes to get back to the playoffs in the AFCE.? How long did it Houston to be competitive? Just another doomsday clown.

This is a 12 win team with Milano back imo…we just lost the one guy we absolutely could not lose on defense.  I doubt we miss the playoffs next year.  The AFC East is a pretty bad division and we have had miamis number 

The Bills need a strong draft to get younger and cheaper.  I'd draft a WR in the first rd to go with Diggs and Kincaid.  Let Davis go via free agency.  If Beane is still around, I'd imagine he'll let a lot Bills free agents sign elsewhere and try to get comp picks.  They're stuck with Miller for next season.

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Doomsday, huh?

OK, then guy, let's hear your fixes going forward. If you've got the answers for a rosy future, I'm all ears.

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is a 12 win team with Milano back imo…we just lost the one guy we absolutely could not lose on defense.  I doubt we miss the playoffs next year.  The AFC East is a pretty bad division and we have had miamis number 

Quick check of the standings says they're currently...three games better than we are this year?

The jets may actually be unluckier than we are, and there's actually a chance the Paytoilets draft Williams this year.

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

Hold up…

Are you saying Josh Allen is a melon farmer and hasn’t played up to his contract? You don’t like Allen? Who in the world would you want on this team the past 5 years under these coaches that you think would have done better? Don’t even say mahomes. He got handed a Ferrari day 1.

This might be the most bat crap post of all time on here and the BBMB.

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

Hold up…

Are you saying Josh Allen is a melon farmer and hasn’t played up to his contract? You don’t like Allen? Who in the world would you want on this team the past 5 years under these coaches that you think would have done better? Don’t even say mahomes. He got handed a Ferrari day 1.

This might be the most bat crap post of all time on here and the BBMB.

I'm not a fan of his inconsistency.

He makes a TON of backbreaking mistakes, and yes, sometimes he's absolutely genius.

His interception last night, for example, probably cost the team the win as it resulted in a TD. My feeling with him is this: if EVERYTHING is optimal, can he perform in three consecutive games without a backbreaking turnover? Because that's what it'll take to win a championship, and I'm not sure I've ever seen him do that. Could be wrong. But man, it's maddening.

• Disagree 4

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

He makes a TON of backbreaking mistakes, and yes, sometimes he's absolutely genius.

His interception last night, for example, probably cost the team the win as it resulted in a TD. My feeling with him is this: if EVERYTHING is optimal, can he perform in three consecutive games without a backbreaking turnover? Because that's what it'll take to win a championship, and I'm not sure I've ever seen him do that. Could be wrong. But man, it's maddening.

His pick in the third quarter cost this team the game? Really?

I’m going to put it to you plain and simple: without #17, this team the past 5 years maybe wins 3-4 games. Max. He has covered up so many weaknesses with this entire organization it’s sick.

You are out of your effin mind if you think Josh freakin Allen is the problem here. Say it with me….

IT’S. THE. HEAD. COACH.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, McBean said:

His pick in the third quarter cost this team the game? Really?

I’m going to put it to you plain and simple: without #17, this team the past 5 years maybe wins 3-4 games. Max. He has covered up so many weaknesses with this entire organization it’s sick.

You are out of your effin mind if you think Josh freakin Allen is the problem here. Say it with me….

IT’S. THE. HEAD. COACH.

It can be both.

Who cost us the win week 1? Was it McDermott or was it Allen?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It resulted in a td because the defense gave up a moon ball/prayer td on 3rd and 15 to a scrub wr that absolutely never should’ve been completed 

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It can be both.

I hear you generally, but as bad as the timing of yesterday's turnover was, Allen willed the team up and down the field all day long and got them the lead inside of two minutes and again in overtime.  This one almost entirely lies at the feet of McDermott.

Edit: reading comp fail on my part.  Didn't realize you were talking week 1.  That was like the flip side of this game, with Allen almost singlehandedly dragging us to that embarrassing loss - McD's 4th quarter defense and special teams were just the icing on the cake.  But yes, 6-6 with this roster and level of experience takes a certain level of  "complementary sucking" that Sean and Josh have seemed to perfect in 2023. 

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It resulted in a td because the defense gave up a moon ball/prayer td on 3rd and 15 to a scrub wr that absolutely never should’ve been completed 

Right, but does that play happen without the error from 17?

Look, I know it's hard to admit, but the guy is flawed. He turns the ball over too much. I'll say it again, yes, sometimes he's brilliant! But he's equally capable of being mind-numbingly stupid on the very next series.

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

I hear you generally, but as bad as the timing of yesterday's turnover was, Allen willed the team up and down the field all day long and got them the lead inside of two minutes and again in overtime.  This one almost entirely lies at the feet of McDermott.

That's all i'm saying here. People around here think Allen's ***** doesn't stink. But sometimes it really does and at the worst possible juncture.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That's all i'm saying here. People around here think Allen's ***** doesn't stink. But sometimes it really does and at the worst possible juncture.

I think it's recency bias.  Josh has played two good games in a row and much of the fanbase wants (maybe needs) to believe that the guy we saw in the Jets, Pats, Giants, Broncos, etc. games was some sort of alien body snatcher inhabiting Josh's mind and body.  Most of us came down hard on Josh during and immediately following those contests.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Right, but does that play happen without the error from 17?

Look, I know it's hard to admit, but the guy is flawed. He turns the ball over too much. I'll say it again, yes, sometimes he's brilliant! But he's equally capable of being mind-numbingly stupid on the very next series.

I’d have absolutely no problem admitting it if it were true lol your criticism describes a lot of the great qbs. A big chunk of Josh’s picks this year have been third down arm punts/take a chance type or tough luck type plays. I’m watching these great qbs that are supposedly way better at protecting the football make terrible decisions every week they just get bailed out by defenders dropping easy picks a lot more 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think it's recency bias.  Josh has played two good games in a row and much of the fanbase wants (maybe needs) to believe that the guy we saw in the Jets, Pats, Giants, Broncos, etc. games was some sort of alien body snatcher inhabiting Josh's mind and body.  Most of us came down hard on Josh during and immediately following those contests.

Some think playcalling had a lot to do with it and that has yet to be disproven…maybe it will be but I can’t fault anyone for thinking Brady has improved things so far 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It can be both.

I got nothing for you bro. Seriously, nothing I can say will make you change your mind.

Josh Allen under Harbaugh, Slowik, or Ben Johnson would win MVP year 1.

Just now, McBean said:

I got nothing for you bro. Seriously, nothing I can say will make you change your mind.

Josh Allen under Harbaugh, Slowik, or Ben Johnson would win MVP year 1.

Hopefully, we'll find out won't we?

Just not gonna hold my breath until it does.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

1) Good post

2) JJ Gittes rules !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

32 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The Allen apologists run wild on here.  He can do no wrong.  It’s like some of these people truly think that they are part of his immediate family.  The INT was nasty yesterday and it hurt.  The apologists will say that it didn’t cost the Bills the game.  Well.. the Bills had a chance to seal the game in OT.  Allen threw an errant pass to the end zone.  Miscommunication, bad pass, wrong route.. whatever it was, it resulted in a FG, not a TD. Everything counts. 

Edited by KeLLy1278
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’d have absolutely no problem admitting it if it were true lol your criticism describes a lot of the great qbs. A big chunk of Josh’s picks this year have been third down arm punts/take a chance type or tough luck type plays. I’m watching these great qbs that are supposedly way better at protecting the football make terrible decisions every week they just get bailed out by defenders dropping easy picks a lot more 

And this post from Florio seems to back up what you're saying.  https://x.com/MichaelFFlorio/status/1724852313695900103?s=202

However, it does seem that when Josh is bad, he's "bad" (Jets).  But hopefully that was somewhat a result of Dorsey running the show. 

Josh Allen is the most physically gifted QB in the league, and has a chance to go down as the best Bills QB of all time.

BUT he is going to have to at least play in a Super Bowl or two. That's why Rivers is not seen as on the level of Eli and Big Ben, even though he was just as good. Never got to the big dance, because he kept horrible coaches employed by winning just enough that they "couldn't fire a winner" 

Edited by TheFunPolice

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

And this post from Florio seems to back up what you're saying.  https://x.com/MichaelFFlorio/status/1724852313695900103?s=202

However, it does seem that when Josh is bad, he's "bad" (Jets).  But hopefully that was somewhat a result of Dorsey running the show. 

Oh yea that jets game he cost us single handedly…he didn’t really play any worse than hurts or mahomes against the jets though for context. 

Even the best qbs have a terrible game every now and then 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Doomsday, huh?

OK, then guy, let's hear your fixes going forward. If you've got the answers for a rosy future, I'm all ears.

Quick check of the standings says they're currently...three games better than we are this year?

The jets may actually be unluckier than we are, and there's actually a chance the Paytoilets draft Williams this year.

I’m not going to get into a fix with a guy that can’t acknowledge the value of a great franchise QB. Once the HC turns over it will be quick. How many games this year were wins with one stop on defense? How many soul crushing game day screwups featuring poor discipline penalties and personnel decisions. It took 10 games to get Shakir, Kincaid targets in the pass game. How many weeks of no offense in the 1st half of games before Sean realized Dorsey didn’t work. The 2 games since we average 30. Cook is going to be a great, all purpose back but it took 12 weeks to throw to him downfield.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree that it equates to a 3 year drought, but I do agree with the rest of the post. This team as currently constituted is done. Allen apart how many of this team are you willing to put in stone as day 1 starters in 2025. Kincaid, maybe Torrence, Cook, Ed Oliver, possibly Groot (and some might challenge that). Everyone else could conceivably be gone in the next two years. 

Bernard, Shakir, and Rasul to name some more.  

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I’m not going to get into a fix with a guy that can’t acknowledge the value of a great franchise QB. Once the HC turns over it will be quick. How many games this year were wins with one stop on defense? How many soul crushing game day screwups featuring poor discipline penalties and personnel decisions. It took 10 games to get Shakir, Kincaid targets in the pass game. How many weeks of no offense in the 1st half of games before Sean realized Dorsey didn’t work. The 2 games since we average 30. Cook is going to be a great, all purpose back but it took 12 weeks to throw to him downfield.

Fans love to blame coaches. Why? It's easier to admit a coach sucks than a favorite player has flaws.

Yes, the coaches stink. I've been on fire mcdermott mode for a while now.

But I'm not so blind as to think we can't see better from Allen.

I don't agree that it equates to a 3 year drought, but I do agree with the rest of the post. This team as currently constituted is done. Allen apart how many of this team are you willing to put in stone as day 1 starters in 2025. Kincaid, maybe Torrence, Cook, Ed Oliver, possibly Groot (and some might challenge that). Everyone else could conceivably be gone in the next two years. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bernard, Shakir, and Rasul to name some more.  

Josh Allen

James Cook

Stef Diggs

Shakir

Kincaid

Knox

Dawkins

McGovern

Torrence

Ed Oliver

Rousseau

Milano

Bernard

Taron Johnson

Benford

Douglas

That is only replacing our elderly Safeties which we knew we would have to do no matter how this season played out.

Tre White with another fluke injury ending his career.

Morse is over priced

Brown could be upgraded, but not necessary.

So what are we really looking at as a "rebuild"?

The Safeties we knew about. CB due to injury. Morse which we saw coming as well.

And we havent even mentioned re-signing guys like Epenesa, D Jones, or Floyd.

Sure, you could replace others, but you dont have to or need to just because you replace the coaching.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Hyde - washed

Poyer - washed

Davis - need better

This thread feels like a lot words for your real agenda of just hating on Allen again.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Fans love to blame coaches. Why? It's easier to admit a coach sucks than a favorite player has flaws.

Yes, the coaches stink. I've been on fire mcdermott mode for a while now.

But I'm not so blind as to think we can't see better from Allen.

How many QBs you think overcome 10  penalties in the 1st half and no defense in the 2nd half to score 31 and put the team on his back to be in a position to win in O T . You’re just a guy who has a nickname for everybody and wants to be a critic of the one mega talented player we have to be relevant. You’re just a sad Bills hater stuck in the wrong area code. Try and construct something positive for yourself. Your shallow little Josh aspersion s are silly and make you sound delusional, unstable.

No team in the modern era has any certainty as to starters 2 years in the future outside of a small handful of players.  Looking at the Chiefs right now and that entire roster could churn outside of Mahomes and Jawaan Taylor by 2025.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The mistake the Bills front office made was, and still is, Von Miller. I wasn’t in favor of it then and I doubt anyone is now. It was a huge swing and miss. Period! 

It certainly didn't look like a swing and miss until he ripped up his knee. It was a "future is now" gamble. It worked for the Rams the year before, and it almost worked for the Bills last year. Until it didn't ...

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

It certainly didn't look like a swing and miss until he ripped up his knee. It was a "future is now" gamble. It worked for the Rams the year before, and it almost worked for the Bills last year. Until it didn't ...

My concern with the deal was not about the possible impact of a player of his stature. My concern was locking him in for anything beyond a one year rental. I’m far from an expert on the subject of free agent contracts but it seems that this year’s Leonard Floyd deal is more appropriate.

• Pine Barrens Mafia changed the title to The Salary Cap will doom us all (hope that title is better)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.