Who should coach this team in 2024?

Kirby Jackson

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I’m not sure “who”, but it has to be an offensive mind. Enough with this defensive crap. You have Josh Allen. Now build around the mid before it’s too late. 

This year’s list of offensive candidates seems pretty short. You have Ben Johnson, Eric Bieniemy, and  maybe Bobby Slowik.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Here's something crazy - the worst loss under McDermott was the 13 seconds game. In today's game he threw away 2 TOs despite knowing that if Philly made the FG we would have about 20 seconds left to drive and get a FG of our own.

The guy is so bad and un-self-aware he didn't learn from the biggest coaching failure of his life! He didn't use that information to gain an advantage!

Said this in another thread.  I don’t get it.  He had a front row seat to how it can be done.  And if we’re saying it, you can bet it’s a topic of conversation in the locker room. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Me. That would be terrible. Reich would be a disaster.

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Me.   Replace Reich with Brian Daboll and I’m game. 

I mean we could always just dump Reich or have him be OC

But I'm nearly 100% certain if the bills part ways with McDermott, he ends up in Carolina, may as well try to get a pick/contract off the books 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Said this in another thread.  I don’t get it.  He had a front row seat to how it can be done.  And if we’re saying it, you can bet it’s a topic of conversation in the locker room. 

13 seconds against us in KC.

16 seconds against us by KC in Buffalo (week 7 2022)

The BILLS THEMSELVES did it last year against Detroit. Got the ball with 21 seconds left. Had Josh rip ONE pass to get us into FG range, and kicked the game winner.

McD just crapped his pants. Again.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott is absolutely not the answer. He’s a loser that always loses. If McDermott is fired, it’ll be one of the most desirable jobs available. If you were Terry Pegula, who would you hire? 

I’m in record that I’d fire McDermott in the morning and hand Brady the keys. I’d give him a 6 week audition. If it doesn’t work, I’d probably hire Bobby Slowik. Ben Johnson would be my 2nd option. 

In the following order

Jim Harbaugh (white retread I know). But do you really think a Harbaugh coached team would have twelve men on the field for a game winning FG attempt? Harbaugh gets them to the SuperBowl year 1 or 2. He has won everywhere he goes.  If he wears out his welcome in 3 years after a SB win, I don't care. 

Lincoln Riley

Brian Johnson

if you want to go defense(keep Brady as OC), then go get Dan Lanning in Oregon.  He led Georgia defense for three years and now is doing a great job at Oregon. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, juno999 said:

One more game or one more season?  They have 5 more games.  Fans are on edge as it is.  They were booing at the Broncos game.  I don't recall fans booing before with McD as coach.  I get that fans boo but I think fans are starting to turn on McD.

Starting? Some of us have been calling him a fraud for a while now.

His defenses pad stats against terrible QBs and he chokes against any of the good ones.  

No idea, but I know it shouldn't be McDermott.  We have an elite legit top 3 QB and he is being wasted under McD.  Next year is a reload year as we have guys that need to go and small cap space.  Let that reload be in the image of a new coach otherwise we waste another two years instead of just one.

41 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

* Solid owner

* Facilities and organizational infrastructure rated by the players in a poll as among the top 10 in the NFL

* A brand new kick a$$ stadium

* A REAL home field advantage 

* An elite QB whose upside might be beyond anything we fans could possibly imagine. What do you think a truly innovative offensive minded coach could do with Allen after surrounding him with top tier offensive talent?

So yes this would be the most attractive job opening of the possible 10 or so openings that might happen this off season.

You forgot

* A miserable weather city (agreed on by most) 

* One of the highest income tax states

* An emotional small media city 

* A notorious choking losing franchise

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

You forgot

* A miserable weather city (agreed on by most) 

* One of the highest income tax states

* An emotional small media city 

* A notorious choking losing franchise

I doubt very many head coaches factor weather into the consideration.

The income tax is a problem that can easily be solved by paying above rate for the coach.

An emotional small media city can be seen as a positive to. It's almost college like.

Any guy good enough for us to want to be the Bills coach is going to have a healthy sized ego - it comes with the job.  And that ego will convince them that THEY are the one to turn around this notorious choking franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I doubt very many head coaches factor weather into the consideration.

The income tax is a problem that can easily be solved by paying above rate for the coach.

An emotional small media city can be seen as a positive to. It's almost college like.

Any guy good enough for us to want to be the Bills coach is going to have a healthy sized ego - it comes with the job.  And that ego will convince them that THEY are the one to turn around this notorious choking franchise.

Sure, I was just pointing out the Bills HC job isn’t all roses like you implied. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott is absolutely not the answer. He’s a loser that always loses. If McDermott is fired, it’ll be one of the most desirable jobs available. If you were Terry Pegula, who would you hire? 

I’m in record that I’d fire McDermott in the morning and hand Brady the keys. I’d give him a 6 week audition. If it doesn’t work, I’d probably hire Bobby Slowik. Ben Johnson would be my 2nd option. 

I was thinking Joe Brady myself but was afraid to say anything for fear I might get mauled on here lol… But all kidding aside I like Joe Brady so far I’d be all for it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

If we started the year with Ben Johnson, or Haurbaugh, or whoever you want, we wouldn’t be 10-1.

We'd probably be 9-3 at worst to be honest. And just about guaranteed a playoff spot in a conference with no clear dominant team. Still in the running for the #1 seed. At the very least we would have beaten the Broncos and Patriots with another coach. I would wager at least 1 win out of the other 3 losses too.

The team has flaws outside of McDermott, clearly. But he exacerbates them. That is undeniable. It's not like we're talking nebulous coaching prowess here, there are distinct and specific moments that we can point to where McDermott personally failed his team in each of our losses this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been a McD supporter but I finally agree. He’s got to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Like I said, if you think we are as talented as Dallas, SF, Baltimore, Miami, Philly, then I get why you’re so upset.

Your argument falls apart when you realize that we lost 3 games this year to teams that we are CLEARLY more talented than. CLEARLY - Jets, Pats, and Broncos. Jags I would say maybe equal talent? But I also think Josh is at least two full tiers higher than Lawrence as a QB so to me that gives us a slight edge over them. For argument's sake we'll call it a wash. Bengals are (were, before Burrow's injury) slightly more talented, and Eagles are moderately more talented.

So putting the discussion about point differential aside, we have a team that is only 6-3 against teams they are clearly MORE talented than. We are then 0-3 against teams that have equal or greater talent than us.

How again is this an argument in favor of McDermott? I think you've lost the plot a bit here by pulling in teams like the Ravens and 49ers who we haven't even played. Our record compared to our actual schedule is clearly well below par. And yeah that is obviously a coaching issue.

I mean how many teams ahead of us in the AFC standings are clearly more talented than us? Maybe just the Ravens and not even by a landslide?

The truth is we are lagging far behind most of the conference in coaching, not in talent.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

If we change, I'd like us to change to someone with a proven track record. The brief is 'instant success' so not much point in giving someone unproven a trial run. You do that when building. The theory is that our roster is almost built. So we need a coach that can make it work from day one. Otherwise we might as well stick tbh.,

There is 1 common core, the root, all the way to the top, the tree that provides growth.  Our tree grew full size a couple years back and bloomed.   Should have planted a new tree then. It's time to find a tree that might can grow a little bigger, ours is withering.  Or for the real plant people, a bigger pot to say to let the tree grow instead of wasting its years in a small container 

5 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

No. He’s the easy scapegoat. The next man up in the blame game. Our losses are by 6, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3. I don’t think a new HC gets you over that hump. Players are put in a position to win week in and week out. We shouldn’t take that for granted.

I agree 

As much as this sucks, Bills can definitely win out or even go 4-1 and get in the playoffs,  where they can definitely go on a run. Frustrating but not sure it's directly on McD

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.