Packers @ Lions Today 12:30pm Fox

HOUSE

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Haven't been watching the whole game.  I've seen 6 points eschewed by Dan Campbell and the 6 points he gifted Green Bay, so that's a 12 point difference right there.  Could be a 3 point game right now.

Pretty much on the money. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

For all the hype Dan Campbell gets for what he's done, which is deserved, he severely misuses Jahmyr Gibbs. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Gibbs fantasy owner. He uses Montgomery way too much inside the 5 yard line and doesn't design enough usage for him period. They drafted this guy 12th overall and treat him as a change of pace back

Dude had himself some great games when Montgomery was out for those few weeks…

They paid Monty the money so I get why they are dead set on trying to use him. However, Gibbs is a potential home run hitter especially in the passing game. 

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Dude had himself some great games when Montgomery was out for those few weeks…

They paid Monty the money so I get why they are dead set on trying to use him. However, Gibbs is a potential home run hitter especially in the passing game. 

Yeah, I don't understand his lack of usage. The guy spends entire drives in the sideline. That shouldn't happen 

😂

Goff looks like he’s going to take off for the first every time he runs only to top out immediately and get wrestled down from behind… Lucky he’s not be injured on any of them today. 

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, I don't understand his lack of usage. The guy spends entire drives in the sideline. That shouldn't happen 

Just a money thing. Anyone who’s watched Lions football knows that he should be the guy leading touches. Maybe next year? 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Haven't been watching the whole game.  I've seen 6 points eschewed by Dan Campbell and the 6 points he gifted Green Bay, so that's a 12 point difference right there.  Could be a 3 point game right now.

11 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

4th and puss again.  McDummy just had another organism...

You’re a hilarious contradiction.

Just now, BBFL said:

Big difference in the situations he referenced… Game wasn’t, at that point, potentially out of reach. 

Teams that are up 15 should go for it on 4th down. Teams that are down 15 should settle for field goals. 

What coaching tree did this philosophy come out of?

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Montgomery vs Gibbs is a non-issue. Both are excellent players and their usage has not been the issue in this game.

That 4th down pass in the end zone was perfectly thrown by Goff but everyone's darling, LaPorta didn't look back for the ball.

From what I've seen of laporta I prefer Kincaid 

• Agree 3

Love looks like he is getting better the more he plays. Not sure why everyone was ready to give up on him so quick. He never played. 

Problem for Green Bay is he is only under contract for one more year. Not sure they have seen enough to give him a long term deal yet. That said he looks better than Daniel Jones ever did and he got an extension. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Montgomery vs Gibbs is a non-issue. Both are excellent players and their usage has not been the issue in this game.

That 4th down pass in the end zone was perfectly thrown by Goff but everyone's darling, LaPorta didn't look back for the ball.

The Lions gamble a lot on 4th down situations and this game they crapped out. The worst gamble was the fake punt, no need to hand over points with so much time left and a defense playing decently. You live by the sword you die by the sword so to speak when it comes to Campbell taking chances and risks.

Detroit is definitely no Philly, SF or Dallas.  These analyst that keep saying they are in contention for home field are delusional.

They got annihilated by the Ravens and they got beat by Green Bay who started more of their second string players today than their starters.

This team is nothing but a average team with a very easy schedule.

20th-toughest NFL schedule

3 hours ago, stevestojan said:

They got it, but going for two there seemed like absolutely the wrong decision. No? 

It was absolutely the right call.  They needed at least one two-point conversion to tie, so why not get it on the first opportunity? 

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

It was absolutely the right call.  They needed at least one two-point conversion to tie, so why not get it on the first opportunity? 

Because - and this is all moot of course - if you miss, the game is over right then and there. If you kick the XP, you need 8. But you’re still alive. 

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Because - and this is all moot of course - if you miss, the game is over right then and there. If you kick the XP, you need 8. But you’re still alive. 

It doesn’t matter. If you miss the two-point try on the second TD it’s over, as well.  You’re no less likely to convert on the first chance. Plus it leaves you the chance to win the game with two 2-point conversions.

Edited by mannc

57 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

You're down 15 and need two TD's with 5 minutes left.

If you try the 2ptconversion on the 2nd TD that you score and don't get it, then the game is over and you can't do anything about it with so little time now on the clock.

But if you try it on the 1st TD that you score and don't get it, then you know you're still down two scores and can now play the rest of the game accordingly.

It's admittedly more of a factor with 3-4 minutes left than it was today with 2 minutes left, but that's the way coaches are playing it now.

If you find out earlier that it's going to take a FG in addition to the two TDs, theoretically you still have time to quicken your pace or use your TO's earlier than you would have, in order to at least give yourself a chance at an extra possession. If you don't find out until later that you need another possession, there might only be :20 left and now it's too late to do anything about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.