What is Your Recipe for Philly Cheese Steak — I Assume that is THE Obvious Game Meal

HIT BY SPIKES

On 11/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, Success said:

Ribeye just has great flavor. I almost never do it - but it's good to freeze it a little so you can cut it as thin as possible.  But yeah, thin is best.

True.
Back in my teen years working at a local pizza/sub joint, we’d get the whole ribeye frozen from the vendor and put it in the carriage of the Hobart commercial slicer, slice it thin, stack it up proportionately between deli paper, and have it ready to cook and chop on the flat top grill.  Sprinkled with a bit of garlic salt, pepper, onions&bell pepper, chopped, topped with cheese to melt over, and tucked into those great rolls. 
I’d put those local Buffalo steak subs on toasted Costanzo sub rolls against anything  Philly could offer. 
Great-just made myself hungry!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

My father's family moved to Lehigh Valley in the 50s, and I have frequented Lehigh Valley hundreds of times since the 70s.

Genos, Pats, Mike Schmidts, Jimmy's yada yada I have tried every Philly cheesesteak hotspot.  Cheese wiz is garbage.  Allentown uses real cheese, and sometimes a little sauce.  The Brass Rail (RIP) used to make a cheese steak omelette that was divine.  One of best cheesesteaks I ever had was Augies in Reading.

If you want a good hot dog, get to Yaccos.

Bro, I lived there 25 years. Been to brass rail, been to zandys, been to yoccos both for dogs and steaks, been to all kinds of mom and pop cheesesteak places, it's just not true. :lol:

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I don't know about Johns, but DiNics is the best thing that I have ever eaten. It has all the flavors that a human tongue can experience in one sandwich. I was at a conference at the convention center, and I was told by a local to go across the street and get the sandwich. I ate nothing else but that and Tomato pie for three days. I took my family on a detour on a vacation to NYC from Cincinnati just to get another sandwich. It's worth the 8-hour drive from Cincinnati to Philly just to get one. It's that good.

John's is better.

Only read the first page so apologies if already mentioned. Costco sells pre-sliced ribeye for sandwiches. Saves a little time of not having to slice it up. 

As some have mentioned the bread is critical. Sautéed onions, mushrooms and either Provolone or white cheddar cheese. Secret ingredient is the Blackstone. 🤫

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LVGrown said:

Only read the first page so apologies if already mentioned. Costco sells pre-sliced ribeye for sandwiches. Saves a little time of not having to slice it up. 

As some have mentioned the bread is critical. Sautéed onions, mushrooms and either Provolone or white cheddar cheese. Secret ingredient is the Blackstone. 🤫

my blackstone is over at our lake cottage. Was thinking I ought to make a weekend trek out there to just make the steak sandwiches and watch the game there out there!

• Like (+1) 2

Don't forget the pork & greens sandwich is also a Philly tradition.

https://thewoksoflife.com/italian-pork-sandwich-philly/

As for cheese steaks, when I make them you grill shaved steak with onions and mushrooms. Then you add the secret ingredient: a squirt or two of ketchup! Mix it in and let the sizzle a bit.

Then form a pile with your meat and lay some cheese over it. I like American or Cheddar best. Split your sub roll, place it over the meat and cheese pile and let it melt into the roll.

Scoop it into the roll and enjoy.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:03 PM, HIT BY SPIKES said:

What kind of Steak?

What kind of Cheese?

What kind of Bread?

Condiments?

So what I would order at genos in Philly would be called a "peppersteak wiz wit" so that's peppers, onions and cheese with the steak.....

Basically get some good soft foot long bakery hoagies, get good grass fed Angus thin sliced beef, the cheese is literally cheese whiz, cook the steak with butter and onions and peppers diced, put the steak and onions and peppers slightly chopped on top of the open faced hoagie and then add the cheese sauce over the top of it so it all melts together and close it up and eat it 😋 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I’d put those local Buffalo steak subs on toasted Costanzo sub rolls against anything  Philly could offer. 

Art's Hoagie Hut (Hertel and Colvin, mid to late 70s) made dynamite hoagies and subs, until Art's passing. It was Art's solo venture after leaving Artone's in South Buffalo, which was founded by brothers Art and Tony.  I do not know if the current Artone's remains in the family.

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As for cheese steaks, when I make them you grill shaved steak with onions and mushrooms. Then you add the secret ingredient: a squirt or two of ketchup! Mix it in and let the sizzle a bit.

Then form a pile with your meat and lay some cheese over it. I like American or Cheddar best. Split your sub roll, place it over the meat and cheese pile and let it melt into the roll.

This is what I am going to do, I had one while in Philly from the Reading Market and that was better than any of the cheesesteaks I had. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

as an aside, that website you linked to— Woks of Life— is one of my go-to recipe site.  I love eating and cooking Chinese food. I make hot and sour soup based on their recipe, and when I gave some of that soup to some of my friends who are from China, they said it was authentic and outstanding. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:04 PM, TheFunPolice said:

For steak use the best deli roast beef you can get 

To clarify, you obviously cook it up with peppers, onions and mushrooms then melt the cheese of your choice right into it... Cheddar and swiss blend is our favorite. Mayo on the toasted roll 

We also add spinach to the mix, again cooked right in with everything 

Thinly sliced rib eye, peppers, onions and topped with cheese whiz is the way ala Pats style 😊

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

my blackstone is over at our lake cottage. Was thinking I ought to make a weekend trek out there to just make the steak sandwiches and watch the game there out there!

Sounds like an awesome time! I definitely support that decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Not necessarily if you like em your way 😊

We do consider ourselves good cooks and foodies, but my cheesesteak knowledge is pretty much limited to steak umms and the better Red Osier and other local roast beef options from the delis that we basically use to make "better quality steakums" 

I will also say it's something we make maybe twice a year. But we have a Blackstone and we do love a good steak, so I'm excited to try the ribeye recipe this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

We do consider ourselves good cooks and foodies, but my cheesesteak knowledge is pretty much limited to steak umms and the better Red Osier and other local roast beef options from the delis that we basically use to make "better quality steakums" 

I will also say it's something we make maybe twice a year. But we have a Blackstone and we do love a good steak, so I'm excited to try the ribeye recipe this weekend. 

Excellent I think you will love it! Enjoy 😊 

https://www.visitphilly.com/media-center/press-releases/cheesesteak-101-a-primer-on-the-who-what-where-whiz-of-philly-cheesesteaks/

If you are in philly and committed to going outside of the cheeseteak box, here is the ultimate:

Cheesesteak_07_MSE-0001.jpg

image.thumb.png.f14439d7fad185eb9072b79ad805a271.png

If you are staying inside the box Pat is the ultimate authority:

https://www.pennlive.com/food/2016/09/want_to_make_the_perfect_phill.html

Edited by Chaos

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

https://www.visitphilly.com/media-center/press-releases/cheesesteak-101-a-primer-on-the-who-what-where-whiz-of-philly-cheesesteaks/

If you are in philly and committed to going outside of the cheeseteak box, here is the ultimate:

pork is probably easier and cheaper. Pork with provolone and broccoli rabe is a classic in the city.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm not the biggest Barclay fan. It's not a bad steak, but for the price tag you can find something better in Passyunk. Sadly, the pandemic wiped out my favorite place.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'm not the biggest Barclay fan. It's not a bad steak, but for the price tag you can find something better in Passyunk. Sadly, the pandemic wiped out my favorite place.

The price tag is absurd.  What was your favorite place?

Just now, Chaos said:

The price tag is absurd.  What was your favorite place?

Serpico. The head chef was a Momofuku alum who was lured down to Philly. It was relatively unpretentious, a small 30 seater with an open kitchen you could sit at a bar at. The things that remain seared in my memory is a pasta dish that was homemade pasta, basil, sausage, pecorino and chicken skin and a smoked duck leg sausage. Sadly, seating guidelines killed the business model and the chef got circulated through the restaurant group before leaving.

Ribeye, Montreal Steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce. Sautéed onions and mushrooms. Whiz and mayo. Hoagie roll toasted.

IMO, the best sandwich from Philly is the Roast Pork with broccoli rabe. My favorite is from Tony & Nick’s (the original Tony Luke’s). John’s is good, but the staff is extremely rude. DiNic’s in the Reading Terminal market is decent, but nowhere near as good as the one from Tony & Nick’s.

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Instant ramen with a boil egg and McDonald's chicken nuggets for the meat to make it a classy meal.  I eat the nuggets first because that's when they are the crispiest.  

What flavor? Chili or shrimp are 🤌.

23 hours ago, muppy said:

is it sacrilegious to just go to a Jersey Mikes and buy one hence no dishes and at least decent Philly cheese steak. Thoughts?

maybe  buying a philly sandwich from a company from New Jersey is itself sacrilegious 🤭

haha

Jersey Mikes is better than anything I could come up with at home. And, it's just me so the cost and time comparison for one sandwich seals the deal.

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

as an aside, that website you linked to— Woks of Life— is one of my go-to recipe site.  I love eating and cooking Chinese food. I make hot and sour soup based on their recipe, and when I gave some of that soup to some of my friends who are from China, they said it was authentic and outstanding. 

My wife just got a HexClad wok from her son as an early Christmas present and I will tell her about this site. Thanks!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Best cheese steak is in New Jersey. Break all the rules: put it on a Kaiser. Chop ribeye ends. American cheese. Load with caramelized onions. 

images (1).jpeg

I know Donkeys when I see it 

Hit up Reading Terminal and grab a Carmen’s cheesesteak and a Dinics roast beef. That’s living 

What I do is not "authentic", but I don't care because it tastes better. If you don't want to spring for ribeye and happen to live near an asian market, they'll usually have presliced frozen beef like this that's used for bulgogi, hotpot, strif fry etc. It works excellently for a cheesesteak. just slice it into strips and you're good to go.

I carmelize onions which takes about 40 minutes and in a separate pan I'll do peppers, mushrooms, and spicy cherry peppers (like I said, not authentic, but definitely better to me) and then I'll deglaze them with some vermouth. I like Costanzos rolls when I can get them, but anything with some chew should work. I split them open and toast just lightly enough on the oven to get a little crisp on the outside of the roll - it's very easy to go too far on this.

Your beef will only take a couple minutes to come together. I use beef tallow as my fat which adds a lot more beefy flavor and season with salt pepper and garlic powder. Create a pile for each sandwich and mix in your veggies, add provolone on top and steam with a dash of water and a lid for your pan. Then just toss your open roll (with whatever condiments you like. I'm a fan of Sandwhich Pal Horseradish) on the pile and use a long turner/spatula to scoop under the whole thing and flip it over. the cheese will be inside the roll instead of on top in this version, but it's the best method I've found.

Note the example below is an early version where I didn't use the carmelized onions (sauteed instead) and I didn't add the cherry peppers either.

ADCreHfTY68RLAvtQLv1xMuvJ0kqc_hKIKV_5mEq

ADCreHf7BFQqym9_E--R_rSVXeSblrYDaJ70pLXX

imageuploadedbytapatalk1364072401-526186

On 11/19/2023 at 8:28 PM, TailgateChef said:

Bam!  End thread.

My only issue is I can't cut the ribeye thin enough.  Suggestions?

freeze it slightly or buy it pre-sliced (what I do)

• Like (+1) 1

Got 8 thick pork chops I trimmed out and have marinating until Sunday.

Will Grill.

The last ingredient is the Italian Bread which I will buy fresh on Sunday Morning.

2 each from 4 Italian Bakeries all with a mile from me.

Yes I get this meat will be too thick to simply slap on a bun so I will thinly slice after grilling.

Weather permitting Big Green Egg.

I have red, yellow and orange sweet peppers plus a huge Sweet Onion.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Got 8 thick pork chops I trimmed out and have marinating until Sunday.

Will Grill.

The last ingredient is the Italian Bread which I will buy fresh on Sunday Morning.

2 each from 4 Italian Bakeries all with a mile from me.

Yes I get this meat will be too thick to simply slap on a bun so I will thinly slice after grilling.

Weather permitting Big Green Egg.

I have red, yellow and orange sweet peppers plus a huge Sweet Onion.

You got the rabe and provolone?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.