What is Your Recipe for Philly Cheese Steak — I Assume that is THE Obvious Game Meal

HIT BY SPIKES

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Best cheese steak is in New Jersey. Break all the rules: put it on a Kaiser. Chop ribeye ends. American cheese. Load with caramelized onions. 

images (1).jpeg

If I ever find out who the @$$hat is that first decided to put poppy seeds on a roll I am gonna kick him in the poppy seeds. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Pork is a fraction of the cost of beef up here.

You convinced me. 

I will do a pork roast, chill it and put it through my commercial quality meat slicer.

Plenty of good provolone here since like me the delis are all Italian close to me.

I haven't seen rabe recently but I am sure my Italian grocer has that.

DONE

Garlic up that rabe 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

No. It's roast pork, rabe, and provolone.

Cheesesteak is for the tourists.

This man understands 

That is what the locals eat. 

I would get good wings in Philly buuuuuut then I would have to find them

48 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

If I ever find out who the @$$hat is that first decided to put poppy seeds on a roll I am gonna kick him in the poppy seeds. 

you say that, but it's freaking delicious

7 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Dinics roast pork sandwich was the best thing I ever eat. Better than any cheese steak.

this. pork shoulder, broccoli rabe and provolone is a perfectly acceptable alternate to the cheese steak. love the tommy dinics sammy

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t celebrate our opponents with my food choices on game day, I would rather go outside the box and choose Sushi 🍣 pork buns and rice wine with dinner, then later a single malt or two as a dessert. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I work in Camden now, so I'm already there. It's either that or I go to the aquarium for my kid and decide to get lunch.

I worked there (on Atlantic Ave) for awhile back in the early 2000's. Part of my job was riding around in the pickup van. Went everywhere, saw many many things. Gave me a lot of good stories for parties.

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is close to right. 

Fried onions (a slightly different thing than carmelized onions).  And if you want the true Philly experience, you have to find a way to acquire some Amoroso rolls. Every top cheesesteak place in philly uses these.  They have some magically property. (Philadelphia is my second home my whole life. Almost my entire family still lives there. American Cheese or certain home made cheese whiz's are legit substitutes for provolone. note- the rib-eye should be shaved. 

https://www.amazon.com/Amorosos-Italian-Style-Hoagie-Rolls/dp/B0CJP6CLDS

91s15YMDXOL._SX679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX679SY699SH20_[1].jpg

Thank you for this. I am in Berlin and am going to try to make cheesesteaks here. I can find ribeye, fried onions, provolone, but no way to get Amoroso's or cherry peppers... hmmmm

PS embarrassing admission: I first tried (and loved) cheesesteaks at age 13 at Original Philly Cheesesteak Co. at Walden Galleria mall.

• Like (+1) 1

It starts with good, crusty bread from your local bakery.  Then get some steak tips.  Put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes to firm them up.  Once firm enough, you can trim some of the fat and slice them very thin (the freezer trick makes it easier to cut the meat of any kind).  Season with a bit of garlic salt or powder and black pepper and sea salt.  Get a grill basket and cook them on the grill, not in a frying pan.  Also add green peppers, red peppers, and white or spanish onion.  Add the veggies to the grill basket once the meat has cooked a bit.  Use lots of cheese (I usually use American, but you can use provolone or moz or gouda or anything you want).  Make sure to toast the bread when the meat and veggies are almost done.  It's super good!  Don't forget to have a beer while grilling.  The steak tips can take longer than other steak to cook.

• Like (+1) 2

is it sacrilegious to just go to a Jersey Mikes and buy one hence no dishes and at least decent Philly cheese steak. Thoughts?

maybe  buying a philly sandwich from a company from New Jersey is itself sacrilegious 🤭

haha

Edited by muppy
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

For steak use the best deli roast beef you can get 

To clarify, you obviously cook it up with peppers, onions and mushrooms then melt the cheese of your choice right into it... Cheddar and swiss blend is our favorite. Mayo on the toasted roll 

We also add spinach to the mix, again cooked right in with everything 

had me till the Mayo.  Agree roast beef is the way to go 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I like a good Philly Cheesesteak

But on game day, it's all Buffalo!  I wear my Bills gear and eat wings!

Just as a note, calling the sandwich a Philly Cheese steak annoys locals like when we hear Buffalo Wings.

So call them Philly cheese steaks! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

is it sacrilegious to just go to a Jersey Mikes and buy one  nhence no dishes and at least decent Philly cheese steak. Thoughts?

maybe  buying a philly sandwich from a company from New Jersey is it self sacrilegious 🤭

haha

I love making Philly's but I'm going to be in Ohio. Nothing wrong with Jersey Mikes! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Wit wiz is wit garbage.  

Allentown cheesesteak >Philly cheesesteak 

Calling horseshit on that, having actually lived in the Lehigh valley.

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is close to right. 

Fried onions (a slightly different thing than carmelized onions).  And if you want the true Philly experience, you have to find a way to acquire some Amoroso rolls. Every top cheesesteak place in philly uses these.  They have some magically property. (Philadelphia is my second home my whole life. Almost my entire family still lives there. American Cheese or certain home made cheese whiz's are legit substitutes for provolone. note- the rib-eye should be shaved. 

https://www.amazon.com/Amorosos-Italian-Style-Hoagie-Rolls/dp/B0CJP6CLDS

91s15YMDXOL._SX679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX679SY699SH20_[1].jpg

If they're in a plastic bag, they're already bad.

That's the hardest part of any Philly sandwich recipes. Getting the bread right 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, let me lay out some hard truths here:

1) probably 90% of cheesesteaks use wiz or American.

2) usually, the only vegetable option on a cheesesteak outside of things like cherry peppers or pickles are fried onions 

3) roast pork as found at John's or DiNics is superior to cheesesteaks in every way. I like mine with provolone, rabe, long hots and extra jus

4) no, roast beef won't adequately substitute for thin chopped ribeye.

5) bread will make or break your sandwich. It should be soft and pliable enough to wrap the meat like a warm blanket, but crusty enough to not fall apart. Has to have good chew. Same rile applies to roast pork or quality hoagies.

6) also, WRAP the sandwich in something. Parchment, foil, wax paper. That way the sandwich doesn't fall apart 

Any questions, send PM.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I like a good Philly Cheesesteak

But on game day, it's all Buffalo!  I wear my Bills gear and eat wings!

I'm with you 100%, Honda.

We can talk all we want about Philly Cheese Steaks  (I miss them so much here in NZ) but... on gameday it's Buffalo Rochester food.

(However, I think it was my wife that lost us that Jaguars game, when I came home to see that she made Ranch dressing because we didn't have any Blue Cheese in the house.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Ok, let me lay out some hard truths here:

1) probably 90% of cheesesteaks use wiz or American.

2) usually, the only vegetable option on a cheesesteak outside of things like cherry peppers or pickles are fried onions 

3) roast pork as found at John's or DiNics is superior to cheesesteaks in every way. I like mine with provolone, rabe, long hots and extra jus

4) no, roast beef won't adequately substitute for thin chopped ribeye.

5) bread will make or break your sandwich. It should be soft and pliable enough to wrap the meat like a warm blanket, but crusty enough to not fall apart. Has to have good chew. Same rile applies to roast pork or quality hoagies.

6) also, WRAP the sandwich in something. Parchment, foil, wax paper. That way the sandwich doesn't fall apart 

Any questions, send PM.

I don't know about Johns, but DiNics is the best thing that I have ever eaten. It has all the flavors that a human tongue can experience in one sandwich. I was at a conference at the convention center, and I was told by a local to go across the street and get the sandwich. I ate nothing else but that and Tomato pie for three days. I took my family on a detour on a vacation to NYC from Cincinnati just to get another sandwich. It's worth the 8-hour drive from Cincinnati to Philly just to get one. It's that good.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Calling horseshit on that, having actually lived in the Lehigh valley.

My father's family moved to Lehigh Valley in the 50s, and I have frequented Lehigh Valley hundreds of times since the 70s.

Genos, Pats, Mike Schmidts, Jimmy's yada yada I have tried every Philly cheesesteak hotspot.  Cheese wiz is garbage.  Allentown uses real cheese, and sometimes a little sauce.  The Brass Rail (RIP) used to make a cheese steak omelette that was divine.  One of best cheesesteaks I ever had was Augies in Reading.

If you want a good hot dog, get to Yaccos.

Edited by Pete

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.