Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was really behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

• McDermott
    • Pegula
    • Beane
    • Players (lost locker room forced the issue)

McD for sure. Look at his immediate postgame comments from the last few game - especially last week. Contrast those with the ones from earlier in the year. He’s been unhappy with the offense for a while, getting unhappier every week, and it showed after the game last week. McD usually goes out of his way to never criticize anyone publicly. 

IMO McD hasn’t been shy about telling Dorsey this stuff in private, and Dorsey knew the Broncos game was his last chance.  McD remains overly loyal, and probably gave Dorsey one chance too many. But I’m glad he pulled the trigger now instead of waiting for the bye. The offense has no excuse for being this disjointed every game. 

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

If this continues this season it’s time for McDermott to be fired. 

I mean, 2 years ago we can't hold on for 13 seconds. Last year give up a touchdown while trying to execute victory formation kneel down, which would have given us home field advantage, facing the winner of the chiefs/bengals game instead of the chiefs facing the winner of bills/bengals. This year we don't have the correct personnel on the field after 2 timeouts when it was clear the other team was just taking a knee setting up for a field goal. At what point do you put the blame on the head coach.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. Totally reactionary. This place would fire or cut someone every week. 

On the question, it is a good one. We know that the Pegulas were integral in the last OC change we made in-season when they fired Greg Roman two weeks into 2016 - after he had taken the offense from 26th to 13th in his one year in charge. They met with players and then Rex and the upshot was Roman was out. 

I don't rule out that Terry involved himself again but I suspect ultimately McDermott with counsel from Beane is the right answer. 

Agreed GB, nothing as important as an OC firing doesn’t include the Pegulas, Beane and McD.  We’ll never know and no one is going to talk about it later.

It’s a futile discussion as it will stay behind jd closed doors.  It’s the same in business.  Unfortunately, I’ve had to let people go, but not until I’ve done everything I could to coach them up, and then it’s up to them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

1) prior to the Broncos game - it was not. this would seem to mean that he was not as good as Cook who had over 9 ypc. murray had a solid game but his 4.8 ypc was his best (which is good) against the giants. excluding the broncos game he averaged 3.5 ypc.  Cook was at 4.7ypc.

2) i don't follow the latter statement because i would need examples where you have read something you disagree with and then tell me why. also, i don't know who you are... so i cannot return critique or offer any criticism of any individual thoughts you may have had. please, if you're going to try to insult me, make it worth my time and don't waste it.

so, yeah...BRO...do better.

Your entire post is predicated on Murray being a poor runner and hampering our run game vs. the Broncos, thus making having Cook sit for a couple of series an indefensible move

This is demonstrably not the case

I don't know who you are, either, and I don't care.  Your posts have stood out to me the last couple of days both in their absurdity and their absolute certainty that the absurd perspective presented is true.  I'm not arguing with you.  An argument implies a clash of two perspectives that each party respectively insists to be valid.  This isn't an invitation to critique my thoughts or posts in a mutual battle of wits, although nothing is stopping you from clicking on my profile to find something to complain about.  This is me gently suggesting you identify the facts and form a perspective based on them, instead of forming a perspective and making up facts based on it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Wasn't it last week where someone asked McDermott at his press conference if he was considering making a change at OC? (don't remember how the question was phrased) McDermott's answer was a flat out "no." I guess he had to answer that way, but how things change in a week. 

5 hours ago, 14774 said:

I think it was all McClappy, trying to save his own behind.

I do not believe this is accurate, although it was my first reaction.

It would make sense for McDermott to save that bullet for the end if he is in self preservation.

I also don't think it was the players because 2 key non-offensive coaching functions were directly responsible for them losing the game (12 men and Cover 0).

It was likely Pegula demanding something be done.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I actually think it stems from last year in the divisional round.  

Diggs storming out then and the stuff that happened at the beginning of the year makes me think the players didn't believe in the offensive game plan.

Josh looking lost on the sideline.

The players have no confidence and that's a reflection of coaching.  Then they run the same mesh play over and over again that has been resulted in probably half of Allen's INTs when all they needed to do was run the ball.

Also having a players only meeting for the offense doesn't show a lot of faith in what they are being told to do.

I don't hate passing on 3rd and 1 if you plan to go for it on 4th and 1.  I don't hate passing on 4th and 1.  I do hate running a damn mesh play on 4th and 1, with no PA, and allen standing in the pocket.  It doesn't suit our strengths, and its a yard.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, there is more than one issue. He took steps to solve one of them. Is that not something he should do? 

And for accuracy sake: he didn't fire the ST coach after 13 seconds. His contract was up and wasn't brought back or he decided to leave. There's a difference. And for the record, I do hope the same standard is used for Smiley and he is replaced at some point. 

In promoting Dorsey, in my view the mistake he made was taking too much of Josh's preference to heart. Once Allen said he wanted Dorsey there wasn't even what I would consider a real search. They met the Rooney Rule, interviewed 2 other guys that equally had no experience and pressed on with Josh's choice. 

Personally, I thought Dorsey was going to be fired after the season because in season firings rarely accomplish much imo.  In firing Dorsey, McD is admitting to a mistake he made and he has now corrected it.  We agree on McD needing to fire Smiley which is another mistake by McD. 

McD has made very questionable if not bad hiring decisions.  As many have pointed out, McD has made several questionable decisions on game day.  Now he  has added a new wrinkle of benching Cook for an extended time after he fumbled.  I get benching him for a few plays or the rest of that possession.  I think it was excessive and hurt the offense.

McD doesn't hold himself accountable and he has lost and/or is losing the locker room for it.  McD never owned 13 seconds.  All he had to do is say  "I ***** up."  But he never did.

McD is feeling the heat.  High expectations for this team and they look bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey was the main one behind it, by continuing to trot out a predictable, bumbling, pop warner level Offense.

Watching that Denver game, it was clear as day. After weeks of floundering and an offensive players meeting, this was the make or break week to turn it around. Go out there, start fast, and show us you can run an offense like a half-competent professional.

Nope!

Had to go.

So Dorsey did this to himself. The fans and media were all over it. McD saw the need to change. And Terry signed off on it.

The best team work Dorsey has managed to produce in his short tenure.

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Listening to Sean McDermott presser after the game. I knew Dorsey was toast. 

Good point.  Defense plays “butts” off.  Said it a couple of times.  He was blaming the offense for that one.  Can’t change the players now, but can throw the coordinator overboard.  So that’s what he did.  

48 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Your entire post is predicated on Murray being a poor runner and hampering our run game vs. the Broncos, thus making having Cook sit for a couple of series an indefensible move

This is demonstrably not the case

I don't know who you are, either, and I don't care.  Your posts have stood out to me the last couple of days both in their absurdity and their absolute certainty that the absurd perspective presented is true.  I'm not arguing with you.  An argument implies a clash of two perspectives that each party respectively insists to be valid.  This isn't an invitation to critique my thoughts or posts in a mutual battle of wits, although nothing is stopping you from clicking on my profile to find something to complain about.  This is me gently suggesting you identify the facts and form a perspective based on them, instead of forming a perspective and making up facts based on it.

that's a lot of writing. i didn't read beyond like 3 sentences.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.