Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was really behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

• McDermott
    • Pegula
    • Beane
    • Players (lost locker room forced the issue)

Tough to say.  He was backing Dorsey far more than he backed Peterman despite having become all but a nation-wide laughing stock back then.  

McD's very stubborn.  It's difficult to not strongly consider that he got a call from Pegula to get this thing under control in the media.  ... which would seem to be Pegula's top concern.  

At the same time, those that seem to think that McD's toast after the season, and hoping so, may be disappointed.  

Edited by PBF81

Honestly, the fans/media.

McDermott has been fielding questions from Tim Graham and others since the week after Miami about Dorsey and if he would lose playcalling duties. This stoked the fans fire and with the offense struggling, the drum beat grew louder. It finally came to a head yesterday.

And it's almost hysterical how many fans are. Almost everyone wanted to see Dorsey fired. Then when he gets fired a certain percentage turn it into "he fired him as a scape goat and to save his own arse". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

McDermott has been fielding questions from Tim Graham and others since the week after Miami about Dorsey and if he would lose playcalling duties. This stoked the fans fire and with the offense struggling, the drum beat grew louder. It finally came to a head yesterday.

And it's almost hysterical how many fans are. Almost everyone wanted to see Dorsey fired. Then when he gets fired a certain percentage turn it into "he fired him as a scape goat and to save his own arse". 

Fans would fire someone after every loss if they could. 

• Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans would fire someone after every loss if they could. 

Agreed. Totally reactionary. This place would fire or cut someone every week. 

On the question, it is a good one. We know that the Pegulas were integral in the last OC change we made in-season when they fired Greg Roman two weeks into 2016 - after he had taken the offense from 26th to 13th in his one year in charge. They met with players and then Rex and the upshot was Roman was out. 

I don't rule out that Terry involved himself again but I suspect ultimately McDermott with counsel from Beane is the right answer. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. Totally reactionary. This place would fire or cut someone every week. 

On the question, it is a good one. We know that the Pegulas were integral in the last OC change we made in-season when they fired Greg Roman two weeks into 2016 - after he had taken the offense from 26th to 13th in his one year in charge. They met with players and then Rex and the upshot was Roman was out. 

I don't rule out that Terry involved himself again but I suspect ultimately McDermott with counsel from Beane is the right answer. 

McDermott has no reason to lie about this. He clearly made the decision himself. Needed an immediate distraction from the 12 men on the field coaching mistake, after two time outs were taken that could have been used to make sure things were organized for the obvious play. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually think it stems from last year in the divisional round.  

Diggs storming out then and the stuff that happened at the beginning of the year makes me think the players didn't believe in the offensive game plan.

Josh looking lost on the sideline.

The players have no confidence and that's a reflection of coaching.  Then they run the same mesh play over and over again that has been resulted in probably half of Allen's INTs when all they needed to do was run the ball.

Also having a players only meeting for the offense doesn't show a lot of faith in what they are being told to do.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But Marv Levy said "if you start listening to the fans soon you'll be sitting among them."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 14774 said:

I think it was all McClappy, trying to save his own behind.

Not a great move by McD (to save his a$$), he let the sacrificial lamb go too early.  There’s a high likelihood we may not win a game here on out.  Who does he blame / fire @ year end… Brady?  

McD is done or should be, barring some miracle over the next 7.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

I think it was McDermott. He was pissed that Dorsey refused to call running plays against that poor Broncos run defense. Someone said that it looked like McDermott was calling the offensive plays on the Bills TD drive at the end. If so, then Dorsey was basically fired mid-game. 

McDermott "you need to run more."

Dorsey "Ok, the opening scripted plays focus on Cook."

McDermott "he fumbled, first time in a long time. i benched him for the first quarter."

Dorsey "he was to be the featured back of this game"

McDermott "[clapping]..hurr...durr...process.... complementary football...derp [more clapping].

Dorsey "...[sigh]"

McDermott "my cats breath smells like cat food."

Dorsey "we have Murray in at RB, he's not achieving solid net positive yards. are you stupid?"

McDermott "i'm a 50 year old man wearing straight brim hats."

Dorsey "Die."

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Listening to Sean McDermott presser after the game. I knew Dorsey was toast. 

Exactly, it is quite obvious this was McDermott's decision and it was not made because of that one game.  It did help deflect dealing wiht more scrutiny of 12 guys on the field.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

I think the players may have forced the issue. Not by coming out and saying anything directly, but attitude and actions. The obvious one is Diggs, I really think that is why he was so pissed off after the Bengals playoff game and OTA's. I don't believe he hated Dorsey.

17 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I think it was McDermott. He was pissed that Dorsey refused to call running plays against that poor Broncos run defense. Someone said that it looked like McDermott was calling the offensive plays on the Bills TD drive at the end. If so, then Dorsey was basically fired mid-game. 

That was the most running plays I ever seen the Bills run in a row in years!! Somebody else was definitely calling the plays 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There's more than one issue going on with the Bills.  Firing Dorsey only solves some of it.  Special Teams looks pretty bad too.  Not just the last game either. McD fired the previous ST coordinator after 13 seconds and promoted Smiley to that position.  McD deflecting blame.

McD promoted Dorsey, a guy with no OC experience, and then fired him 1.5 seasons later.  Not good for McD any way you look at it.  

I am sorry but he should have been fired in game. We basically ran all over them to score a touchdown. The next offensive possession three straight pass all incomplete, punt.. You saw the look Coach face. I was thinking the same thing. What’s is this dude calling. Was he even watching the game.. The bigger problem with this offense is Josh not being allowed to run. His running opens up the entire offense. I think this is a McDermott issue. What is he saving Josh for? 

46 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Of course. Because everything that comes out of a coach’s mouth in a presser is Gospel 

Nobody's saying that, but what does McDermott have to gain by lying about this particular instance? 

43 minutes ago, juno999 said:

There's more than one issue going on with the Bills.  Firing Dorsey only solves some of it.  Special Teams looks pretty bad too.  Not just the last game either. McD fired the previous ST coordinator after 13 seconds and promoted Smiley to that position.  McD deflecting blame.

McD promoted Dorsey, a guy with no OC experience, and then fired him 1.5 seasons later.  Not good for McD any way you look at it.  

Yes, there is more than one issue. He took steps to solve one of them. Is that not something he should do? 

And for accuracy sake: he didn't fire the ST coach after 13 seconds. His contract was up and wasn't brought back or he decided to leave. There's a difference. And for the record, I do hope the same standard is used for Smiley and he is replaced at some point. 

In promoting Dorsey, in my view the mistake he made was taking too much of Josh's preference to heart. Once Allen said he wanted Dorsey there wasn't even what I would consider a real search. They met the Rooney Rule, interviewed 2 other guys that equally had no experience and pressed on with Josh's choice. 

5 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Bro Murray had like 7 yards per carry

Your relationship with reality the last couple of days has been tenuous at best

1) prior to the Broncos game - it was not. this would seem to mean that he was not as good as Cook who had over 9 ypc. murray had a solid game but his 4.8 ypc was his best (which is good) against the giants. excluding the broncos game he averaged 3.5 ypc.  Cook was at 4.7ypc.

2) i don't follow the latter statement because i would need examples where you have read something you disagree with and then tell me why. also, i don't know who you are... so i cannot return critique or offer any criticism of any individual thoughts you may have had. please, if you're going to try to insult me, make it worth my time and don't waste it.

so, yeah...BRO...do better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.