Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

Who was behind the decision to fire Dorsey?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who was really behind the decision to fire Dorsey?

• McDermott
    • Pegula
    • Beane
    • Players (lost locker room forced the issue)

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't rule out that Terry involved himself again but I suspect ultimately McDermott with counsel from Beane is the right answer. 

McDermott doesn't need "counsel" from Beane, who he hired, or at least got hired. McDermott needed another scapegoat after Frazier. Now he has one on both sides of the ball. Next will probably be the special teams coach. McDermott is a flim-flam artist. A shoe salesman with a great line of s%#t. 

If Pegula fires him tonight he will have waited too long. It is time for Pegula to rid the Bills of McDermott and his second rate soft shoe vaudville act.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And it's almost hysterical how many fans are. Almost everyone wanted to see Dorsey fired. Then when he gets fired a certain percentage turn it into "he fired him as a scape goat and to save his own arse". 

Both can be true though. 

A case can be made that Dorsey wasn’t working out and needed to go. 

A case can also be made that McDermott needed to do SOMETHING to turn the tide, or else the failure to do so could and should put his job in jeopardy. 

Anytime someone gets fired it’s because their boss is trying to preserve their own standing/job. 

• Like (+1) 1

100% McDermott

Everyone other than Terry Pegula works for him, regardless of what the "organization flow chart" says. I mean in actual practice. 

This is Sean's team, plain and simple. What he wants with the football program he gets. Pegula worships the man.

McDermott won a couple of playoff games with a generational talent at QB, so he is set for life here. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

100% McDermott

Everyone other than Terry Pegula works for him, regardless of what the "organization flow chart" says. I mean in actual practice. 

This is Sean's team, plain and simple. What he wants with the football program he gets. Pegula worships the man.

McDermott won a couple of playoff games with a generational talent at QB, so he is set for life here. 

OIP.EEdhavKKIsJRx0PujLTLCQHaFj?w=234&h=1

25 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Both can be true though. 

A case can be made that Dorsey wasn’t working out and needed to go. 

A case can also be made that McDermott needed to do SOMETHING to turn the tide, or else the failure to do so could and should put his job in jeopardy. 

Anytime someone gets fired it’s because their boss is trying to preserve their own standing/job. 

You're not wrong. 

And let's just add that more times than not replacing a coordinator mid season doesn't end well for the HC either. He's definitely in last resort mode. Would love to be a fly on his office wall when he's talking to Terry these days.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You're not wrong. 

And let's just add that more times than not replacing a coordinator mid season doesn't end well for the HC either. He's definitely in last resort mode. Would love to be a fly on his office wall when he's talking to Terry these days.

And there is definitely the perception that the timing of the firing covered over another defensive let down at the end and an embarrassing special teams penalty. I think that is more of what people were critical of, as opposed to scapegoating.  Dorsey had too much pressure on him for his firing to be a “scapegoating” situation. But it does take some pressure off McDermott and Smiley. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

McDermott doesn't need "counsel" from Beane, who he hired, or at least got hired. McDermott needed another scapegoat after Frazier. Now he has one on both sides of the ball. Next will probably be the special teams coach. McDermott is a flim-flam artist. A shoe salesman with a great line of s%#t. 

If Pegula fires him tonight he will have waited too long. It is time for Pegula to rid the Bills of McDermott and his second rate soft shoe vaudville act.

What McD did with a D missing 5 starters vs Denver kept the Bills in the game after the O coughed the ball up 4 times. Doing double duty as HC/DC. Took the Bills into the playoffs after a 2 decade drought with Tyrod Taylor.

McD just sent Buffalo's biggest problem packing. What more do you want from this guy?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

And there is definitely the perception that the timing of the firing covered over another defensive let down at the end and an embarrassing special teams penalty. I think that is more of what people were critical of, as opposed to scapegoating.  Dorsey had too much pressure on him for his firing to be a “scapegoating” situation. But it does take some pressure off McDermott and Smiley. 

It's bad optics, for sure. For the life of me I have no clue how Smiley still has a job. PR team set the "tone" week 1 with the walk off PR TD allowed and hasn't gotten better. Heck Mims won ST player of the week for his performance. IDK if not wanting to release 2 coordinators in a short week played into it or not...but he needs to go too.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's bad optics, for sure. For the life of me I have no clue how Smiley still has a job. PR team set the "tone" week 1 with the walk off PR TD allowed and hasn't gotten better. Heck Mims won ST player of the week for his performance. IDK if not wanting to release 2 coordinators in a short week played into it or not...but he needs to go too.

Saving the special teams firing for the next defensive debacle. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.