If There's No 12th Defender, is Dorsey Still Employed??

theRalph

1 hour ago, theRalph said:

I completely disagree. Ya ya ya...the coach didn't drop the ball or throw the INT or fumble 3 times. But when this crap occurs over and over across games, IT IS COACHING. IT IS ALL COACHING. If Dorsey's scheme was as plain and predictable as we've heard, it makes sense that players weren't dialed into it...like a great band having to play crap songs. You need enthusiasm and one could see that Allen has been anything but, while he appears to mope on the bench. Brady is certainly different. We'll see what manifests. Allen will always throw INTs. That's fine as long as there are 2-3 tuds also.

I didn't write that.  LOL.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

McD melted in 13 seconds and the ST coach was fired. We lost last year and Frazier is “taking a year off”. We are in a slide this year, and Dorsey is canned. Yet no one is holding the main culprit in all this…McDermott…accountable. It’s a growing trend and I’m not sure how the players can respect the man anymore.

McDermott is the "MAIN" culprit? Not the players on the field failing to execute time & time again, or the person constantly giving the opponent extra drives every game?

The game shouldn't have even been that close. The Bills shouldn't have been trailing until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The 12 men on the field was just icing on the s*** cake.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, theRalph said:

Though the offensive woes have been chronic, they haven't moved the needle as seismically as 12-men-on-the-field debacle. I'm wondering if Dorsey still has a job had the wide-right stood putting the Bills at 6-4.

Dorsey failed when he lost the personnel —Dawson Knox—he needed for 12-personnel. Knox's injury vs. Jaguars started the crappy offensive trend (Knox played two more games but wasn't effective (see the 4th down drop vs. Pats)). Dorsey couldn't adapt to an 11-personnel approach, only being able to muster a predictable 2 X 2 motionless formation. 

But none of that has a thing to do with 12 men. Hmmm.

If we don't lose the game against Denver, FOR SURE Dorsey still has a job.

Which does make you ask what was being accomplished by the firing, and why.

Scapegoat. The beauty is that McDimwit has no one left to blame at this point.

Next change will be McD out the door.

can someone explain to me why a team would have a dime defense on the field when the opposition is kneeling??

rare if ever does a team pull the ball and try a trick play when in fg range which will win you the game....

are there not some secondary members on the fg block unit?? even with the brutal all around play of the offence we still had a chance to win somehow and yetttt millionaires and coaches need preschool classes on how to count...

thank god i made the grocery store by 5mins b4 it closed, halls were in order...

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

McD melted in 13 seconds and the ST coach was fired. We lost last year and Frazier is “taking a year off”. We are in a slide this year, and Dorsey is canned. Yet no one is holding the main culprit in all this…McDermott…accountable. It’s a growing trend and I’m not sure how the players can respect the man anymore.

I still believe the players messed up their assignment on 13 seconds. Squib kick was called on the kickoff also. On 12 men it’s also the players.

But when you’re players and assistant coaches consistently make mistakes in crucial moments it’s ultimately the head coach that isn’t preparing his team.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Let’s just say that we had fired Mcdermott rather than Dorsey….who would be the HC?  Dorsey?  Washington?  Kromer?  Shula?  Ehhhhhhh.

We’d also need a defensive playcaller/DC.  

Maybe Frasier comes back?  They already have him in the HR database.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yup, because we get smoked by the Bengals the following week. If by some miracle we survive, the rams embarrass us at the show where we would be outclassed in every facet of the game.

Well, we did play the Rams in the very next game after the SB and we blew their doors off.

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The 12 men on the field was just icing on the s*** cake.

Just curious - what kind of icing do you put on a s*** cake?  Chocolate?  (It certainly works aesthetically.)

Edited by Dan Darragh

I'm beginning to question the common knowledge that sub-par NFL quarterbacks have a knack for coaching.  

It sounds nice on paper, they spend their careers studying the game, tell the actual really good quarterbacks what they're picking up from the opposing defense... never get much head-bangin' from actually playing the game.  Poof- coaching material. 

Truth is Ken Dorsey was a terrible NFL quarterback.  I got invited to basically every 49er game during his time there by STH friends both because they loved me... and far secondary because they couldn't offload their tickets for a one-dollar scratcher. 

Those teams were awful in ways a professional sports team should never be awful, but friends were a blast and the tailgating was fun.  I'll miss Ken Dorsey for that, but not his time with my Bills. 

Anyone got any idea why it's been pounded into our heads that random basketball players make for excellent NFL tight-ends, and backup quarterbacks are coaching gold?

Because I don't. Ken Dorsey threw for 8 touchdowns and 18 interceptions in pro ball, and Bud Grant is the only person to play in both the NBA and NFL. 

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Absolutely.  Odd scapegoat after your offense gives you the lead only for your defense and special teams to eff it up.

But a good coordinator would have leaned on the run much earlier and stayed with it.   would most likely have made the outcome radically different. 

His plays were very limited and seemed to never play against opponents weaknesses.  

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He should have never been hired.  Another poor decision from McBeane.  

I agree.  I think McDermott relied on Josh’s relationship with him to make an easy decision.    Josh through his body language most of this season has realized he made a mistake with Dorsey but couldn’t handle it-Josh seems like he’s a “younger” person than he is.  

this has caused tension and lacking energy and his former emotion.  As the QB goes, the team typically goes.

• Agree 1

Let's actually go the other way, If the offense did actually have a pulse before 5 minutes before the first half was over would we have won?  

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

We outgained them by 75 yards.  7.1 yards per play versus 4.2 for Denver.  Josh's turnovers and McDermott's coaching blunders got Dorsey fired.

Don't forget the dropped catches of which one led to an interception.  The issue is only partly Josh's turnovers.  Let's not kid ourselves though, this offense was humming two years ago and turnovers as a whole for the offense have been up drastically since Daboll left

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If the Bills win the coin flip and we win in OT are you still hating McDermott?

I dont think any fan is hating Mcdermott.  Not at all. 

He's a pro and he is well paid to do his job. It's a real competitve job and we just have to think about Dorsey today to remember that. 

We just talk about football. We're fans and we also pay because we love that game, we love our Bills.

whorlnut just point some facts. Mcdermott could hired and fired whoever he wants. It's his job.

Then, it begins to be a lot of coachs who were fired under his program. A lot. 

It say something at whoever wants to listen.

Hire and fire coachs until he finds the perfect one is a kind of management but i really think we're near the limit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.