If There's No 12th Defender, is Dorsey Still Employed??

theRalph

Though the offensive woes have been chronic, they haven't moved the needle as seismically as 12-men-on-the-field debacle. I'm wondering if Dorsey still has a job had the wide-right stood putting the Bills at 6-4.

Dorsey failed when he lost the personnel —Dawson Knox—he needed for 12-personnel. Knox's injury vs. Jaguars started the crappy offensive trend (Knox played two more games but wasn't effective (see the 4th down drop vs. Pats)). Dorsey couldn't adapt to an 11-personnel approach, only being able to muster a predictable 2 X 2 motionless formation. 

But none of that has a thing to do with 12 men. Hmmm.

Edited by theRalph

McD melted in 13 seconds and the ST coach was fired. We lost last year and Frazier is “taking a year off”. We are in a slide this year, and Dorsey is canned. Yet no one is holding the main culprit in all this…McDermott…accountable. It’s a growing trend and I’m not sure how the players can respect the man anymore.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

McD melted in 13 seconds and the ST coach was fired. We lost last year and Frazier is “taking a year off”. We are in a slide this year, and Dorsey is canned. Yet no one is holding the main culprit in all this…McDermott…accountable. It’s a growing trend and I’m not sure how the players can respect the man anymore.

If the Bills win the coin flip and we win in OT are you still hating McDermott?

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Why the eye roll? It's a valid question I get why people roast McDermott for the 13 seconds to end regulation. But the game went into OT where KC destroyed our D, is that solely on McDermott or Frasier or the players?

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Absolutely.  Odd scapegoat after your offense gives you the lead only for your defense and special teams to eff it up.

The defense allowed us to even be in that game that late. I agree Dorsey was a scapegoat as I blame the players moreso Allen and the offense) than the coaches.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The defense allowed us to even be in that game that late. I agree Dorsey was a scapegoat as I blame the players moreso Allen and the offense) than the coaches.

True.  The Cook fumble, Davis drop that led to a tipped int, the two long special team returns, Josh’s INT before half, Josh missing a wide open Shakir on that 4th down, and the botched handoff Allen/Cook fumble left out defense in some tough spots.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If the Bills win the coin flip and we win in OT are you still hating McDermott?

Buffalo was dominated in that game.  It was a miracle that wound up being as close as it was.  Similar to last night, the penalty on the FG will make everyone forget just how lucky the Bills were to even be in a position to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

23 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Though the offensive woes have been chronic, they haven't moved the needle as seismically as 12-men-on-the-field debacle. I'm wondering if Dorsey still has a job had the wide-right stood putting the Bills at 6-4.

Dorsey failed when he lost the personnel —Dawson Knox—he needed for 12-personnel. Knox's injury vs. Jaguars started the crappy offensive trend (Knox played two more games but wasn't effective (see the 4th down drop vs. Pats)). Dorsey couldn't adapt to an 11-personnel approach, only being able to muster a predictable 2 X 2 motionless formation. 

But none of that has a thing to do with 12 men. Hmmm.

I honestly don’t think he would be. I saw a team who had totally lost faith in their play caller last night. Guys didn’t play hard, there was no fire, it was sloppy across the board. At one point in the 4th Q at around the 13 minute mark on the 3 and 8 Josh threw into coverage trying to hit Gabe on the single side again you could see Stef and Josh in the huddle and Josh telling him “trust me”. Something else was said and Josh waved Stef off and said “trust me” again. You can see it all from the broadcast view. Not sure what it was about but Stefan’s face said everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

Buffalo was dominated in that game.  It was a miracle that wound up being as close as it was.  Similar to last night, the penalty on the FG will make everyone forget just how lucky the Bills were to even be in a position to win.

Dominated? If Suttons foot lands two inches more he's out of bounds and they lose 6 points to their total but yeah that was sheer domination or the fact they ran 19 more plays than the Bills and had the ball 15 more minutes then us and had less yards then we did and had to win in a last second field goal that got a second chance cause our guy couldn't count?

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I completely disagree. Ya ya ya...the coach didn't drop the ball or throw the INT or fumble 3 times. But when this crap occurs over and over across games, IT IS COACHING. IT IS ALL COACHING. If Dorsey's scheme was as plain and predictable as we've heard, it makes sense that players weren't dialed into it...like a great band having to play crap songs. You need enthusiasm and one could see that Allen has been anything but, while he appears to mope on the bench. Brady is certainly different. We'll see what manifests. Allen will always throw INTs. That's fine as long as there are 2-3 tuds also.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.....until next week, or the week after that, or the Bye week.  He was a dead man walking and it was just going to be a matter of when it was most convenient for McDermott.  McDermott blew the game and he knew he was going to take a lot of heat for it.  Dorsey getting fired distracts from some of that narrative.  It was the perfect time for McDermott to pull the trigger. 

If I'm the special teams coach, I wouldn't be feeling very good.  Next time McDermott screws up and costs us another game, you can bet he'll be out the door.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Let’s just say that we had fired Mcdermott rather than Dorsey….who would be the HC?  Dorsey?  Washington?  Kromer?  Shula?  Ehhhhhhh.

We’d also need a defensive playcaller/DC.  This is the only move that could be made that would still give us a chance to make a run. Fire McD and the season would’ve been over immediately imo.  

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

True.  The Cook fumble, Davis drop that led to a tipped int, the two long special team returns, Josh’s INT before half, Josh missing a wide open Shakir on that 4th down, and the botched handoff Allen/Cook fumble left out defense in some tough spots.

And the Kincaid drop on 3rd down.  It was equal to a turnover

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.