I’m scared to fire McDermott.

McBean

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The hofers were all pretty much past there primes by 99 also the QB situation was forced by Ralph. Yes the music city miracle was a disaster but 13 secs to me was just as bad if not worse considering the Titans did throw that ball slightly forward and it should’ve been brought back. Wade had this team balling the following yr until the disaster at Tampa when we suffered major injuries to our defense Sam Cowart tore his Achilles, Keion Carpenter ,Antione Winfield & Pat Williams were all injured in that game. Wade was fired that offseason and Greg Williams broke the team up. Btw Sam Cowart was never the same after that injury he was on track for nearly 300 tackles that yr he was the best lber I ever saw in a Bills Uni and could’ve been a hofer had his career not been derailed by injuries. Wade wasn’t perfect but he never had the talent that McD has and he had us playing at high level as a team. Btw the defense Wade had vs Tenn was a Super Bowl caliber defense and we probably would’ve beaten the Rams that yr . 

I disagree we'd beat the Rams because the year before without Warner or Marshall Faulk the Rams squeaked a win over us. I get our defense was better too but objectively I don't think our offense was better/worse than the Titans no matter who our QB was and we saw the Rams beat that Titans team. 

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I disagree we'd beat the Rams because the year before without Warner or Marshall Faulk the Rams squeaked a win over us. I get our defense was better too but objectively I don't think our offense was better/worse than the Titans no matter who our QB was and we saw the Rams beat that Titans team. 

It would’ve been great to see. I don’t agree that since the Rams beat us in Buffalo the previous yr during the regular season that would’ve had any impact on the game. I think we were better then the Titans and would’ve scored more then they did in that Superbowl . That Bills was must see TV and the offense with Moulds, Peerless & Antione Smith at RB would’ve giving the Rams major problems. 

12 hours ago, LarryMadman said:

Why not? 

TPegs has had no problem firing bad coaches and GMs with the Sabres.

He bought the Sabres in 2011 

Fired Ruff / Regier 

Hired / fired coaches Rolston, Nolan, Bylsma, Housley, Krueger and has hopefully found something with Granato

Hired / fired GMs Murry, Botterill and now on Adams

So to sit there and say TPegs wont fire McDumbf**k is myopic in my opinion. His track record speaks other wise that he keeps trying to get it right by hiring and firing and right now McDumbf**k isn't getting the job done and anyone with eyeballs can see the regression and impending player mutiny. This is McDumbf**ks baby so he needs to take the fall, not Beane or Dorsey or Daboll or Fraizer(even though I think he stinks) or any other coach. Only option is rid this team of the cancer that has formed and fire Sean!

Boooom

14 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I live in the DC metro area and watched Washington blow it with both Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

Some other team is going to ***** up Ben Johnson and we're going to have to sit and watch it happen.  

Edit* When has that edited word ever been a problem?

If we fail to land Ben Johnson and decide to give McDermott another lost year, it will go down as a huge Bills blunder.

Firing McD would set this franchise back 5 years. The leadership void would be huge. Geeks like McDaniel are dimes a dozen. Few men can lead others and get them to run through brick walls. McDermott teams don’t quit and are hard to beat. I appreciate the toughness of his teams. 

• Disagree 5
  • Agree 1

I’m going to share my conservative mindset on this one. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. McClap has won. I believe that people are dynamic, and I have faith that a person who is lacking will delegate and find a way to get results, and become the guy that gets the right people in the right spots for success.

I think this way because I am this way. I really have no ego at all… I’m pretty sure any success I have is because of a myriad of circumstances, but I’m smart enough to seek out and capture those circumstances and place them around me. I’ll give myself credit for that. 

But the freaking egomaniacs.. I can’t really relate. I’d say Nick Saban is this way, but then again, he high tailed it out of the NFL before fans got back to their seats with their popcorn, so he did know a wrong situation for himself, and he’s never been back since and just winning National Championships year after year. So there’s a guy even with a man ego bigger than Tuscaloosa on the first day of class, sho has enough whereabouts to go where he could succeed and he hasn’t been shy in hitching on to very talented coordinators (mostly offensive). 

Right now, McClappy has to know Dorsey is in over his head. A change will be made, and hopefully the OC is the right guy. And really, if he wants to go a step further, quit calling the damn defense and get an experienced, talented DC. Delegate, or it’s over for you, McClappy. 

I don't agree with everything McDermott does.  I'll never forget that he tried to start Nathan Peterman TWICE the year Tyrod got us into the playoffs.  

But how many coaches in the last 40 years have the Bills had better than McDermott?  His clock management skills are bad.  His player evaluation is not always the best.  But he's still one of the top 2 or 3 coaches we've had in decades.  The grass isn't always greener..  

On 11/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, McBean said:

But why not? Why why why?

How in the world can our owner not see this? How can he not get through his skull we are MAXED out with Sean? 

Behind every great coach is a great QB, ask Bill Belichick right now.

He made the playoffs w/ Tyrod at QB. Let that sink in for a second.

He had the balls to do the right thing for his players & tell the NFL they weren't playing after Hamlin went down. That could have cost him his job but he put it on the line for the players & team & those guys love him for that. IMO one of the best coaching/leadership moments in the history of the NFL.

He's missing 1/2 his D at this point & still held the Bengals to 3 pts in the second half. That was him & his scheme frustrating the Bengals. 

Finally, you have to have a plan, firing the coach is only 1/3 of it, then what? Simply moving on from a coach for the sake of moving on from them won't work, you have to be moving to a coach. Easy to fire a coach but if it's not to hire a particular coach you really really want then you'll put in any Tom, Dick or Harry & then the team will be screwed by a Harry, Dick, Tom. 😳 Uhh... You get what I mean.

Plus Terry knows you'd have to change your name on here to HarryBean or DickBean or something & that just doesn't have the same ring as McBean.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

Those that are saying that Pegula is “too conservative” to fire McDermott have very short memories. He fired Rex with a game left in the season. He fired hockey coaches and GMs left and right. In fact, both franchises spun their wheels for years due to a lack of continuity. The stability has been good, but it may be time for a change with the Bills. 

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Behind every great coach is a great QB, ask Bill Belichick right now.

He made the playoffs w/ Tyrod at QB. Let that sink in for a second.

He had the balls to do the right thing for his players & tell the NFL they weren't playing after Hamlin went down. That could have cost him his job but he put it on the line for the players & team & those guys love him for that. IMO one of the best coaching/leadership moments in the history of the NFL.

He's missing 1/2 his D at this point & still held the Bengals to 3 pts in the second half. That was him & his scheme frustrating the Bengals. 

Finally, you have to have a plan, firing the coach is only 1/3 of it, then what? Simply moving on from a coach for the sake of moving on from them won't work, you have to be moving to a coach. Easy to fire a coach but if it's not to hire a particular coach you really really want then you'll put in any Tom, Dick or Harry & then the team will be screwed by a Harry, Dick, Tom. 😳 Uhh... You get what I mean.

Plus Terry knows you'd have to change your name on here to HarryBean or DickBean or something & that just doesn't have the same ring as McBean.

The same D gave up 21 in the first half. And 5 first quarter TDs in 3 games against the same team in less the one calendar year. It could have been 6 if the other game didn’t get cancelled. All those drives took alot of the clock as well. 

I’ve seen numerous games where the Bengals come out hot and then slow down as game goes on, so you sure it’s McDs D or the way the Bengals approach holding a lead. When the Bengals needed to close out the game, where was McDs D?

Edited by BananaB

39 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Those that are saying that Pegula is “too conservative” to fire McDermott have very short memories. He fired Rex with a game left in the season. He fired hockey coaches and GMs left and right. In fact, both franchises spun their wheels for years due to a lack of continuity. The stability has been good, but it may be time for a change with the Bills. 

The question isn't whether or not he'd fire McDermott. The question is can he find a competent replacement

6 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I don't agree with everything McDermott does.  I'll never forget that he tried to start Nathan Peterman TWICE the year Tyrod got us into the playoffs.  

But how many coaches in the last 40 years have the Bills had better than McDermott?  His clock management skills are bad.  His player evaluation is not always the best.  But he's still one of the top 2 or 3 coaches we've had in decades.  The grass isn't always greener..  

Levy and Knox were better or just as good. In the case of Knox, he didn't have the talent especially at QB that McDermott and Levy have/had. No offense to Ferguson who was one of the better QB's in Bills history. The best Bills coach Lou Saban who coached the Bills to 2 AFL championships remains #1. Overall McDermott is up there on the Bills coaching ranks despite coming up short in the playoffs all the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The question isn't whether or not he'd fire McDermott. The question is can he find a competent replacement

Let me go on record and say I don't think McDermott is fired anytime soon and will be back in 2024. A name that keeps popping as a coach who deserves a chance as HC is Bengals DC Lou Anarumo. I realize he is a DC, but he is a very good one. He could hire Bengals assistant HC and QB coach Dan Pitcher as his OC. The Bengals offense is pretty good, and we all see how good Burrow is. If Pitcher can do that for Burrow, he can probably help Allen who hasn't been the same Daboll left. As I mentioned I doubt McDermott gets fired so my meaningless babbling here means nothing.

36 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Levy and Knox were better or just as good. In the case of Knox, he didn't have the talent especially at QB that McDermott and Levy have/had. No offense to Ferguson who was one of the better QB's in Bills history. The best Bills coach Lou Saban who coached the Bills to 2 AFL championships remains #1. Overall McDermott is up there on the Bills coaching ranks despite coming up short in the playoffs all the time.

I wonder how the 1964 AFL champion Bills would have fared against the 1964 Browns in a hypothetical Superbowl -3. 

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It won’t be easy to let go of McDermott.  Sacrilege to suggest, but almost gotta root for a disastrous finish to season for Pegula to have no choice but entertain the thought of replacing him.  

I would have no problem letting him go. He has been here 7 years, and it seems like the Bills are declining since 13 seconds. All of these playoff failures are getting old. I give him all the credit in the world for changing the culture of the organization from a loser to a winning one. But it doesn't appear he can be the coach who can get the Bills to the Super Bowl. The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid and he also had a very good run there as well. 

Edited by Gregg

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

The same D gave up 21 in the first half. And 5 first quarter TDs in 3 games against the same team in less the one calendar year. It could have been 6 if the other game didn’t get cancelled. All those drives took alot of the clock as well. 

I’ve seen numerous games where the Bengals come out hot and then slow down as game goes on, so you sure it’s McDs D or the way the Bengals approach holding a lead. When the Bengals needed to close out the game, where was McDs D?

Aside from the opening drive Bengals were in plus territory for the other 2 TDs & D held after Josh's interception. D gave the O plenty of chances, the fumble was a killer. The O kept putting a really banged up D out on the field & asked them to bail them out. This game was on the healthy anemic O. The same O that only managed 10 pts in the playoffs loss. The O is the issue. 

My point on McD is, he is a good coach, easy to say fire him, but then what? Who is taking over? Saying anyone is better isn't a plan. Need to start with here's who we should have as HC and here is why they would be better. But that's not what is being proposed, instead it's fire McD w/ no thought about who you get next. Joe ***** The Ragman is better in some people's minds than McD & that's not a very good plan.

1 hour ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Aside from the opening drive Bengals were in plus territory for the other 2 TDs & D held after Josh's interception. D gave the O plenty of chances, the fumble was a killer. The O kept putting a really banged up D out on the field & asked them to bail them out. This game was on the healthy anemic O. The same O that only managed 10 pts in the playoffs loss. The O is the issue. 

My point on McD is, he is a good coach, easy to say fire him, but then what? Who is taking over? Saying anyone is better isn't a plan. Need to start with here's who we should have as HC and here is why they would be better. But that's not what is being proposed, instead it's fire McD w/ no thought about who you get next. Joe ***** The Ragman is better in some people's minds than McD & that's not a very good plan.

The D gave up 14 points on the first two drives, both came off kickoffs. You can’t complain about them being tired on the first two drives. And after the INT if you want to complain about the D being tired it’s because they couldn’t get off the field the first two drive. 

To be honest I’m sick of hearing about the banged up D. McD and Beane spent 4 1st and 2nd round picks on DLineman in 3 years then had to go out and bring in vets to do their job. They used a first on a CB who’s inactive so they had to go out and trade for another. That’s a coaching problem when you can’t get the best out of your players.  Way too much resources have gone into this D, when the game is on the line they never ***** get the job done. 

I’m not happy about the O either. Line sucks and we again can’t run the ball. How many RBs have Beane and McD went out and drafted/signed/traded for and still get the same results. Someone on the staff gotta be accountable for this. We have a great QB and haven’t selected a WRs above the 4th round since he’s been drafted. Well I guess you can consider Diggs trade but that’s it. Unit has been neglected for years, that’s a staff problem and McD is the head guy.  Funny thing is the O matched the Bengals first drive but instead of continuing with what worked they changed concepts, who’s decision was that?  Everything comes back to McD. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The D gave up 14 points on the first two drives, both came off kickoffs. You can’t complain about them being tired on the first two drives. And after the INT if you want to complain about the D being tired it’s because they couldn’t get off the field the first two drive. 

To be honest I’m sick of hearing about the banged up D. McD and Beane spent 4 1st and 2nd round picks on DLineman in 3 years then had to go out and bring in vets to do their job. They used a first on a CB who’s inactive so they had to go out and trade for another. That’s a coaching problem when you can’t get the best out of your players.  Way too much resources have gone into this D, when the game is on the line they never ***** get the job done. 

I’m not happy about the O either. Line sucks and we again can’t run the ball. How many RBs have Beane and McD went out and drafted/signed/traded for and still get the same results. Someone on the staff gotta be accountable for this. We have a great QB and haven’t selected a WRs above the 4th round since he’s been drafted. Well I guess you can consider Diggs trade but that’s it. Unit has been neglected for years, that’s a staff problem and McD is the head guy.  Funny thing is the O matched the Bengals first drive but instead of continuing with what worked they changed concepts, who’s decision was that?  Everything comes back to McD. 

Well drafting is Beane's department not McD. I agree the O has been neglected in drafts & a 1st round WR is a need. There wasn't one available this last draft, but Kincaid does look like he's going to be a really good weapon.

I also agree too much has been devoted to D over O, I put that on Bean & McD & their philosophy. The significant injuries on D gets them more of a pass than the O, which has no excuse IMO. I don't think Dorsey can get it done at OC. McD will bear responsibility on the decision to retain or fire Ken.

While McD's seat may get hotter after this year, he's going to be around for a while. I'm willing to see how this year turns out & what adjustments are made. I agree that it's beginning to look like he's Schotenheimer w/ Philip Rivers Chargers.

But again, I think the discussion should start w/ who you want to get to replace him, so we can see if it's an upgrade.

Hopefully they figure it out soon & turn the season around.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

52 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Well drafting is Beane's department not McD. I agree the O has been neglected in drafts & a 1st round WR is a need. There wasn't one available this last draft, but Kincaid does look like he's going to be a really good weapon.

I also agree too much has been devoted to D over O, I put that on Bean & McD & their philosophy. The significant injuries on D gets them more of a pass than the O, which has no excuse IMO. I don't think Dorsey can get it done at OC. McD will bear responsibility on the decision to retain or fire Ken.

While McD's seat may get hotter after this year, he's going to be around for a while. I'm willing to see how this year turns out & what adjustments are made. I agree that it's beginning to look like he's Schotenheimer w/ Philip Rivers Chargers.

But again, I think the discussion should start w/ who you want to get to replace him, so we can see if it's an upgrade.

Hopefully they figure it out soon & turn the season around.

I’m not sure who the replacement should be but I think we need an offensive minded guy though. I really don’t focus on much other football than the Bills these days. The O has a few good players but is mostly put together with scraps and the D is built with aging vets past their prime with a couple young guys that show some promise. This is not a recipe to maintain success moving forward. Is this year the collapse or is it next year? At some point with all these vets carrying major rolls they are just gonna have to say ***** it and completely reload though. Then we’re back to the same cycle of D getting every resource they need to be successful while O takes the leftovers

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bill Cowher - Year 14

Tom Landry - Year 12

Curly Lambaue - Year 8

Pete Carol - Year 8 (coached in college for years before returning) 

Tony Dungy - Year 11

Need I go on?

Keep McD, get him whatever he needs. 

He got whatever he needed for 7 years in failed defensive players. Meanwhile Josh is asked to do it all with 1 offensive weapon.  Spare me Andy.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Still scared folks?  I'm scared to see what's to come in 2024 with this regime, the cap hell its put us in, the old players we have on contract, and then the the total lack of players we will have due to FA.  The total failure to capitalize with a top Qb, failure to put together a good line for said qb for 7 years, the lack of wr talent to even suggest we are goid enough, the total over commitment on Defense soo much from Von, multiple 1st and 2nd round Dl picks, even back to back.  How can any of you as true fans stand for this to continue?  Seriously?  Without Allen Beane and McDermott are gone 2 years ago.  The sooner Pegulas figure this out yhe sooner we can start moving forward

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No lovers just those that live in reality. 

I’m just letting it play out. This one is pretty easy to see, Bills are in trouble. McDermott will be in trouble after the season.

Unemployed should be the real term, although it will never happen 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’ll happen when certain criteria is met. A losing season would definitely start a real conversation.

I'm pretty much already at the criteria I set for my opinion.  Miss the playoffs with a healthy Josh Allen.  That pretty much tells you my vote is in the coach has got to go lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.