Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Haha, true he's no world beater but year after year he beat out anyone we had compete with him for the no. 2 role. 

All I know is considering the recurring injuries and lack of depth at that spot, he's definitely roster-able for this team. That's true both now and last year. 

Yeah but I feel like he had some goodwill as McD’s pet project coming out of Alabama.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That was the McKissic/Commanders/Rivera drama with Beane and the Bills.

Beane put his talks with Wallace on hold to try to get some Offensive help, and was working a deal with McKissic. When McKissic agreed, Beane slated that money for McKissic and dropped the Wallace talks and he got scooped by Pittsburgh. Then at the last second, McKissic's camp goes back to the Commanders FO who decide to match our offer, and McKissic decides to stay in Washington. Beane was PISSED. Angriest I've ever seen him at a presser, which isnt saying much, but seeing anything from him made it clear it was a big deal.

Beane didn't pull an offer from Wallace though? 

Wallace literally said he made his decision because of the color shorts he was wearing. 

I am also not a huge Wallace fan. He is fine. I thought Dane was better down the stretch his last season. Both Benford and Jackson are better today. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

And honestly Wallace would be a nice addition for depth and not cost a whole lot. Johnson is clearly the better player but adding a start able option in case Dane or Benford get hurt is not a bad move at all. Johnson would obviously be better but it’s not a bad move to add cheaper depth.

You get what you pay for.

wait - forget that. This does not apply to the NFL. 

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Which one of those 2 is going to step up and be our #2 WR? We are still lacking one greatly.

Disagree. The talent is there. It's up to Dorsey and Allen to use them. As evidence by the performance of Davis, Shakir, and Kincaid last game. Any and all of those guys can and should be our #2. And #3. And #4.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Wallace literally said he made his decision because of the color shorts he was wearing. 

I am also not a huge Wallace fan. He is fine. I thought Dane was better down the stretch his last season. Both Benford and Jackson are better today. 

I agree there's no way we'd bring him back to start over Dane or Benford. 

But we'd be one injury away from starting Josh Norman, so... if we can bring Wallace back to prevent that I'd make the move, personally. 

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Fair and accurate. The point was that the talks with Wallace fell apart because Beane focused on McKissic. Had McKissic not agreed, Beane would have used that money to match or beat Pitt's offer. Beane said it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Disagree. The talent is there. It's up to Dorsey and Allen to use them. As evidence by the performance of Davis, Shakir, and Kincaid last game. Any and all of those guys can and should be our #2. And #3. And #4.

Teams adjust every game and Dorsey adjusts every dozen games. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Bills have $4.9M in cap space. 

There was talk of extending DaQuan Jones in the summer to open more cap space, but how many other levers do they have to pull? 

Rework Micah Hyde? 

Diggs and Allen have 48M reworkable free space I think 

Edited by balln

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

With comments like these, you would think we had a bottom 10 offense.

#2 in Total Touchdowns
#4 in Points Per Game
#5 in Yards Per Game
#4 in Passing Per Game
#12 in Yards Per Carry

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein said:

#2 in Total Touchdowns
#4 in Points Per Game
#5 in Yards Per Game
#4 in Passing Per Game
#12 in Yards Per Carry

We had 3 straight games where we didn’t do ***** until we went no huddle. Did you not see that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

#2 in Total Touchdowns
#4 in Points Per Game
#5 in Yards Per Game
#4 in Passing Per Game
#12 in Yards Per Carry

"but it just doesn't pass the eye test man, I was watching X teams highlights and man they are so good comparably!"

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, balln said:

Diggs and Allen have 48M reworkable free space I think 

Diggs doesn't really. Not without an extension. We kicked his can about as far as we can without an extension. Right now the team is basically locked into Diggs from now until 2027 at anywhere between $22M-$27M cap dollars per year. Any restructure would just increase that number in later years. I don't think I would extend Diggs past 34 years old right now. I highly doubt that if asked to do that today that that number is a super team friendly AAV. We have no idea what he or this team will look like in 2028. 

Allen has some more maneuverability, but that is more or less based on the likelihood of another extension. If we see or hear of an Allen restructure an extension is likely very close behind. 

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dear God...no. it's just no.  Gabe Davis has had years to figure it out and it's not Dorsey, it's just not.  It's a lack of pure talent.  Davis is not a #2 and as long as Beane continues to die on that hill,so does our offense.

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

We had 3 straight games where we didn’t do ***** until we went no huddle. Did you not see that

And...we did nothing the last 25 minutes of the Tampa game even with no huddle.

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Which means trading for another WR is even a BIGGER waste :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Bills have $4.9M in cap space. 

There was talk of extending DaQuan Jones in the summer to open more cap space, but how many other levers do they have to pull? 

Rework Micah Hyde? 

Plenty to cover his salary this year.

There will be lots of changes next year. Tre White, Poyer, Hyde, Morse, plus others will likely/could be gone and cap savings on each.

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Dear God...no. it's just no.  Gabe Davis has had years to figure it out and it's not Dorsey, it's just not.  It's a lack of pure talent.  Davis is not a #2 and as long as Beane continues to die on that hill,so does our offense.

It's #2 by committee. Kincaid is going to be the real #2 anyways. So we're really talking #3 and #4 WR. Shakir and Davis are good enough for that. Bringing in others isnt going to change much on Offense.

f3saBf3.png

If Dorsey and Josh can pull that off consistently, we'll be undefeated.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fair and accurate. The point was that the talks with Wallace fell apart because Beane focused on McKissic. Had McKissic not agreed, Beane would have used that money to match or beat Pitt's offer. Beane said it.

This was a million years ago in football terms, but I thought I remembered both offers being comparable. Or even Pittsburgh's being less? Which added to the craziness of the lore of the black and yellow shorts. 

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

If you're just trying to say that Johnson would be an upgrade over Benford / Dane and should start immediately, I certainly agree.

If you think McDermott will immediately slot him into a starting position over either one of them if he were acquired, that's where I think it's a lot less likely than you do. I just don't think it's in his DNA to insert someone who has to "get up to speed" over a guy who has played himself into a starter role and has 2-3 experience in the scheme mid-season. 

That's a fair point. I don't know how long it'd take, but he seems on paper like a good fit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd give him the 15 mil per extension. That's reasonable. 

If that's what he was actually asking for, he would have already been extended by the Bears and they wouldn't be trying to trade him.  Likely far more than that.

13 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

There are rumors of this happening based on his Instagram post and I pray it isn't the case for us.

My guess is Beane is calling Pittsburgh about Wallace in case they lose out on Johnson.  They need CB depth one way or another, and he'd be dumb to be putting all this eggs in one basket. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.