Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He will fetch a first plus, if traded at this point. Plus a very big contract. I don’t see the Bills doing that. 

We will need a CB at some point anyway. I’d trade away a 1st round pick for a proven player. Our pick is going to be near the end of the 1st anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

At some point it’s about winning now. Elam and a 3rd, or two 3rds, and I do this in a heartbeat.

I don’t care if it’s for only half a season.

I agree I just don't think a very good, not elite CB is going to be the difference in us winning a Superbowl or not this year. Would rather trade a late round pick for a #3 depth CB in case Jackson or Benford go down. 

LB, DT, WR2 would have a much bigger impact this year, IMO. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

Ok I never said that McDermott "doesn't like INT's." What coordinator tells his defense not to intercept the ball if they can?

I'm saying that he puts a higher premium on each individual member of the defense doing their part. I'm saying that if you don't understand the scheme and don't handle your responsibilities, he won't put you out there. A player that doesn't do their job won't have the CHANCE to intercept the ball. 

We've never gone after a player like, say, Marcus Peters. A player who is a huge ballhawk, but oftentimes to the detriment of the scheme overall. A player who is inclined to put his own stats above the team. Tell me, wise one... why do you think that is? Is it because McD "doesn't like INT's," or is it because he doesn't want a player to prioritize INT's over fundamentals? 

I'm not really sure what point you were trying to prove, honestly. Are you really going to try and say that McD doesn't emphasize understanding his scheme as a massive priority? That he won't sit a player who doesn't prove he can do that?

The whole reason this trade thread is a thing is because he's benched a more talented player (Elam) for players who understand the defense and perform their role better (Jackson and Benford). Why are you acting like the point I made was ludicrous? Lol

I thought my point was obvious -- we have scheme-sound boundary CBs who seem to have little to no nose for the ball, unlike Tre White. McDermott's defenses have long had CBs who are scheme-sound but who can at least make plays on the ball. Four games without an INT -- with three of those games against very bad offenses -- suggests that it's a problem. 

It's not about Elam. He sucks even if he can make the rare pick (when he's not being beaten like a drum). It's about guys who fit the scheme and who can also make plays. Dane Jackson is usually in the right place, but he doesn't make any game-changing plays. I guarantee you that the Bills want an upgrade over him.  

2 minutes ago, Process said:

I agree I just don't think a very good, not elite CB is going to be the difference in us winning a Superbowl or not this year. Would rather trade a late round pick for a #3 depth CB in case Jackson or Benford go down. 

The Bills' inability to stop bad passing attacks late in games (when teams have four downs to work with instead of three) has me very concerned. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, balln said:

Yea I want a high risk / reward D. Give me ball hawks and pass rushers. The whole

philosophy w McD is wrong when you have a qb like Allen.

the goal should be to have as many possessions for Allen and the off. It should not be to allow the other team to dink and dunk and burn time and keep Allen from more opportunities

sounds like your describing Fraziers defense over the past several years. McD, especially when we had our guys healthy, was amongst the most aggressive schemes in the league. He is having guys get after the QB, players play "down hill" and attack. They led the NFL in take aways through the first four weeks. They still lead the league in pressure and are 2nd in sacks (with 20 missed sacks by the way, 20!). This is very much a ball hawk and pass rush defense, its just been severely hampered due to the injuries and figuring out ways to cope and still be agressive...like having Poyer play LB in passing situations and have Rapp on the field in Po's spot. 

Edited by PaattMaann

7 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

We will need a CB at some point anyway. I’d trade away a 1st round pick for a proven player. Our pick is going to be near the end of the 1st anyway. 

You can tie a 1st Round pick to 5 years with your team and not kill your cap, unlike Johnson who you'd have to sign to a significant extension to keep him here or let him walk and get a 3rd Rounder at best. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought my point was obvious -- we have scheme-sound boundary CBs who seem to have little to no nose for the ball, unlike Tre White. McDermott's defenses have long had CBs who are scheme-sound but who can at least make plays on the ball. Four games without an INT -- with three of those games against very bad offenses -- suggests that it's a problem. 

It's not about Elam. He sucks even if he can make the rare pick (when he's not being beaten like a drum). It's about guys who fit the scheme and who can also make plays. Dane Jackson is usually in the right place, but he doesn't make any game-changing plays. I guarantee you that the Bills want an upgrade over him.  

The Bills' inability to stop bad passing attacks late in games (when teams have four downs to work with instead of three) has me very concerned. 

If you're just trying to say that Johnson would be an upgrade over Benford / Dane and should start immediately, I certainly agree.

If you think McDermott will immediately slot him into a starting position over either one of them if he were acquired, that's where I think it's a lot less likely than you do. I just don't think it's in his DNA to insert someone who has to "get up to speed" over a guy who has played himself into a starter role and has 2-3 experience in the scheme mid-season. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You can tie a 1st Round pick to 5 years with your team and not kill your cap, unlike Johnson who you'd have to sign to a significant extension to keep him here or let him walk and get a 3rd Rounder at best. 

I don’t think we should give up a 1st but if you can get a proven young player on a first you do it even if it’s going to cost you salary. We went with the other approach and drafted Elam and he doesn’t see the field 

I just saw someone on twitter refer to having taron and jaylon as Johnson & Johnson and I have to say I kind of like it.

Just now, Dunkirk Donski said:

I forgot about the extra draft capital Beane has.  Bailey may be on to something...

if Roquan smith required, a 2, 5 and AJ Klein then maybe the comp 3 and a 3 in 25 could get the deal done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane needs to get off this stockpiling picks BS.  Trade a 2nd if you have to and give the kid a 5 year extension.   

The flip side to this is that Johnson's agent may be realizing that no one is going to pay him what he wants and his best play may be to take the deal Chicago is willing to pay...if he likes it there.  Otherwise he can try again in march when he is unrestricted but what if he gets hurt before then or plays poorly?  

This is probably why chicago let him talk to other teams so that he can get some clarity on the contract situation.

27 minutes ago, Process said:

I've seen a lot of people say this, and I get where you all are coming from. But the more I think about it every time I see it, I'm starting to think it really COULD be the difference. It's about defending the pass nowadays, we all know that. And adding a new #1 CB will make a much bigger difference than adding a #3. And if they can move the needle just a bit on a defense that has been performing well amidst our offensive struggles, then yeah, this could be a key piece to a championship.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I just hope Jaylon doesn't kill his own trade value by demanding a ridiculous contract as there is some chatter coming out of the trade talks that the contract he is seeking is "out of line" high.

And I guarantee it was a team that leaked that to the media :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Out of all the positions the Bills could have drafted in the first round with McD's history of getting good CB play from literally street FA's, Tre being his first pick ever and turning into an all-pro at the position and McD basically being a DB whisperer, if you would have told me they were going to take a CB in the first round and he would never see the field for them in his 2nd year, espeically when a 6th round CB in the SAME draft IS starting,   I would have told you that you were smoking something.  

Either Elam is really not very good or they have horribly mismanaged him in ways they haven't with any other DB they have ever had.

The Bills took a gamble with with Elam because they painted themselves into a corner with that one glaring need and KC jumped us for the guy we wanted - Trent McDuffie (at least I am convinced of that). While Elam was considered a 1st round prospect by some (a minority), many others had him rated lower or much lower. For every plus in his game there was a negative or question. Sticky in man, but very grabby. Physical with WRs, but a reluctant/soft tackler. Good length and a fast 40, but doesn't show that speed on the field and lacks lateral agility. Even the best GMs miss on 1st round picks, but I hated seeing us locked into that position going into the draft. That was an avoidable mistake.

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills took a gamble with with Elam because they painted themselves into a corner with that one glaring need and KC jumped us for the guy we wanted - Trent McDuffie (at least I am convinced of that). While Elam was considered a 1st round prospect by some (a minority), many others had him rated lower or much lower. For every plus in his game there was a negative or question. Sticky in man, but very grabby. Physical with WRs, but a reluctant/soft tackler. Good length and a fast 40, but doesn't show that speed on the field and lacks lateral agility. Even the best GMs miss on 1st round picks, but I hated seeing us locked into that position going into the draft. That was an avoidable mistake.

Please make it stop...

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Levi Wallace is posting eyeball emojis in his IG story

And honestly Wallace would be a nice addition for depth and not cost a whole lot. Johnson is clearly the better player but adding a start able option in case Dane or Benford get hurt is not a bad move at all. Johnson would obviously be better but it’s not a bad move to add cheaper depth.

Just now, billsfan89 said:

And honestly Wallace would be a nice addition for depth and not cost a whole lot. Johnson is clearly the better player but adding a start able option in case Dane or Benford get hurt is not a bad move at all. Johnson would obviously be better but it’s not a bad move to add cheaper depth.

It's .. fine.

I agree.  Wallace would give us reliable depth to play at a similar level to Jackson in our scheme.   

It doesn't move the needle, but helps prevent it from dropping any further. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I'd honestly be fine with getting both.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

We never should have let Levi walk, considering Tre was still rehabbing and we had no one else to start at CB except Dane Jackson and a hypothetical draft pick (which ended up being Elam).

Considering the relative pittance the Steelers paid him, that was a real misfire. 

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

We never should have let Levi walk, considering Tre was still rehabbing and we had no one else to start at CB except Dane Jackson and a hypothetical draft pick (which ended up being Elam).

Considering the relative pittance the Steelers paid him, that was a real misfire. 

Yes but have you considered that Wallace was awful?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

That was the McKissic/Commanders/Rivera drama with Beane and the Bills.

Beane put his talks with Wallace on hold to try to get some Offensive help, and was working a deal with McKissic. When McKissic agreed, Beane slated that money for McKissic and dropped the Wallace talks and he got scooped by Pittsburgh. Then at the last second, McKissic's camp goes back to the Commanders FO who decide to match our offer, and McKissic decides to stay in Washington. Beane was PISSED. Angriest I've ever seen him at a presser, which isnt saying much, but seeing anything from him made it clear it was a big deal.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Just now, Roundybout said:

Yes but have you considered that Wallace was awful?

Haha, true he's no world beater but year after year he beat out anyone we had compete with him for the no. 2 role. 

All I know is considering the recurring injuries and lack of depth at that spot, he's definitely roster-able for this team. That's true both now and last year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.