Giants Jets game - Daboll's call to attempt a FG

BillsIsrael

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

the Jets got an ENORMOUS assist from the refs with 'spotting' the ball, and the rest as they say is history. 

The ref turning into Terry Crews on steroids and slapping the ball without even checking alignment was insanity. The refs in the 49ers game looked criminally negligent by comparison considering it took them 10 seconds for a spike only after a gain of 10 yards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

With the way that game was going the FG bagged it absent a miracle.  And, with the way the time worked out, Daboll made the right call.  It was a Giants win absent a successful heave to the end zone with one second left. 

The issue with Daboll and Schoen in that game, to me, is going in with a slight QB (Tyrod) and a backup you don’t trust to actually throw the football.  If they don’t trust DeVito, then Matt Barkley or another warm body should have been there.  That was malpractice, and it probably cost them a win.  

It wasn’t the right call and it shouldn’t be debatable imo.

#1 - You kick the field and make the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#2 - You kick the field goal and miss the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#3 - You go for it on 4th down and they stop you…..guess what you still have to put there and play defense.

#4 - You pick up 1 yard on 4th down and the game is over 

Please explain to me how option 1 is the better option over 4?

• Agree 1

Even though it doesn’t feel like it, the Field Goal was right call.  Dude had to miss a 35 yarder and then Thibodreaux had to gift them a timeout for Jets to still spike ball with 1 second left.  Literally everything had to go wrong to lose that game but it did so there’s something to not giving the ball back to the offense despite analytics and everything else telling you otherwise.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The ref turning into Terry Crews on steroids and slapping the ball without even checking alignment was insanity. The refs in the 49ers game looked criminally negligent by comparison considering it took them 10 seconds for a spike only after a gain of 10 yards. 

Dak Prescott out here wondering why he couldn't get a ref like that

4 minutes ago, benderbender said:

They let the jets spot the ball!! Insanity

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Daboll has been the exact opposite of coach of the year this year. 

still can’t believe they paid Jones after his “good” year of 15 tds. Daboll seems super cranky this year. 

I also can’t believe the crappy Jets are somehow winning with crappy Zack Wilson. 

Wilson has not been good (he has had some good moments) but his bonehead awful plays are wayyyyyyy down this year. With how good the rest of that roster is, I'm not surprised they have a winning record right now 

3 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

BOTH of those teams were so cartoonishly inept, it made for an exciting finish! How one clown QB beat the Bills is beyond me. And don’t forget- the other was throwing into the End Zone to beat them on the final play of the game!

That is how mediocre Buffalo is!

That being said,bthat monster #1 Jets D was staggeringly foolish and stupid! They tried multiple times to give away that game with the most ill timed, ignorant and selfish Penalties, culminating in an encroachment when the Giants Punter was kicking from the End Zone! Wildly, out of control.

DeVito was not the QB playing against the Bills. 

Edited by Arkady Renko

8 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

#1 - You kick the field and make the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#2 - You kick the field goal and miss the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#3 - You go for it on 4th down and they stop you…..guess what you still have to put there and play defense.

If you watched the game, then you’d have seen a Jets offense that played like hot garbage and that wasn’t going to score a TD in that scenario.  Let’s assume a made Giants FG and a subsequent touchback.  The Jets get the ball in roughly the same position on the field with the same amount of time left on the clock as they did following the miss.  Where did that lead them after the miss?  To a place where they’d need a lucky heave into the EZ, rather than a makable FG, to avoid a regulation loss.   It was the right call all day long.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Because a kick at that distance should be automatic.  And it makes the Jets have to go 75 yards with no TOs to win versus 50 yards to tie it. 

You can also play “what if” trying to go for it like what if they fumbled the ball?  Basically it’s Monday morning quarterbacking. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Wilson has not been good (he has had some good moments) but his bonehead awful plays are wayyyyyyy down this year. With how good the rest of that roster is, I'm not surprised they have a winning record right now 

Wilson was terrible yesterday.  2 fumbles lost, taking a sack on 4th down when game was 99.9% lost.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Because a kick at that distance should be automatic.  And it makes the Jets have to go 75 yards with no TOs to win versus 50 yards to tie it. 

You can also play “what if” trying to go for it like what if they fumbled the ball?  Basically it’s Monday morning quarterbacking. 

Right. You have to kick that in a situation where you have a QB that you are not allowing to throw past the LoS. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Wilson was terrible yesterday.  2 fumbles lost, taking a sack on 4th down when game was 99.9% lost.  

Yesterday yes he was bad, but this year in total he has been much better. He seems more confident to me and doesn't let his mistakes bother him as much.

He's got plenty of talent, The Jets will be a tough out each week 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Barkley also made the mistake of giving himself up on a previous play in that drive where if he just continued forward might have got a first down to end it.  Gano missed a previous attempt.

But otherwise I thought Daboll's biggest mistake was the same thing McDermott did in week one.  Take the ball first in OT.  Right there I said to myself Jets will win.

Kick off into EZ.  Predictable.

Jets defense holds Goants to a 3 and out.  Predictable.

Punt from the 25.  Predictable.

And that was it.  Most llikely.

Rarely would a team not take the ball to start OT but if your offense has a 3rd string QB with negative net passing yards for the game it might make sense.

I remember an OT game where a Lions head coach won the toss and deferred.  It was a solid decision in that for the entire game neither team had moved the ball in a particular direction which was in to strong wind.  That'd be a situation that makes for a strong call, imo.  It didn't work out and the HC got ripped for it. It seemed almost universally ripped, btw.  I  thought very strong call given the situation.  I'd have to research the particulars.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

How was it still the right call when it didn’t work? We can say hindsight is 20/20……but I’m 110% sure analytics would show it was better to got for it on 4th and 1 vs kicking a FG. They could’ve even hurried up to the line and attempted to get the Jets to jump

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That is a FG that,should be made 100% of the time. That puts you up 6 with less than a minute to play. Gain a yard and you take a knee and run out the clock. I understand the idea of going for it. But the much higher percentage play is to kick the FG and go up by 6. 

Remember that Jets D line is excellent and they would be selling out to stop the run. If they give up a yard or a TD it wouldn't matter, they lose either way.  I didn't see how long of a yard it was but even a Allen/Hurts sneak there against that all out front would be difficult. 

Daboll made a good choice. His kicker failed him.

reason its called the field goal of death

31 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

How was it still the right call when it didn’t work? We can say hindsight is 20/20……but I’m 110% sure analytics would show it was better to got for it on 4th and 1 vs kicking a FG. They could’ve even hurried up to the line and attempted to get the Jets to jump

Because the giants were incredibly unlucky.  Remember, it’s an attempt to kick the FG and an attempt to concerning fourth down.  The odds of making that kick almost certainly exceed the odds of converting on fourth down.  So it was the correct call; it just didn’t work. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It was a no-brainer to kick the easy field goal. Saquon is great, but the whole stadium would know it's going to him. 

You could criticize Daboll's defense on the next drive, but the decision to kick that field goal should work 99% of the time. 

Going for the FG was definitely the right decision. Assuming a touchback there is no way Zach will lead the Jets on a 75-yard TD drive with no timeouts and less than 30 seconds on the clock. I don't know if I would call that FG easy. It was a 35-yard FG in those conditions. It was a heavy rain most of the day but still going for the FG was the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Although I would of went for it myself,  your not comparing apples to apples.

Making the FG makes the Jets have to score a TD.

Missing it or getting stopped allows the Jets to go 40sh yards for a game tying fg.

Edited by The Tomcat

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Everyone knew on this play too, which is why it worked:

I assume you mean the QB run. However, it's not the same situation. Yes, the Giants *could* QB sneak, or even pass the ball, but DeVito demonstrated no capacity to throw and Saquon is by far the best option. 

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Option 1, should note a kickoff is required, which introduces a small amount of randomness 

Option 2, should note slightly better field position for the Jets. 

Option 5, field goal is blocked giving jets a far better field position 

The 7 yards the Jets gained from a missed FG, was sort of meaningful at the end. 

The statistics may very well say Daboll made the right choice. And as we saw, with the giants QB situation, a tie was likely the same as a loss in regulation.  So I can’t fault the decision. but in real time I was screaming at the radio to go for it, because I felt like there were more things that could go wrong with the field goal try 

I watched it in real time and I thought they should have gone for it on 4th and 1.  Given the time remaining, timeout situation, momentum, etc., it seemed to me to be the right decision in that situation.  The missed FG gave the Jets better field position and I was concerned that if the Giants had made the FG, the Jets could have gotten a big kick return which could have put them into a good situation.  Throw in the fact that the Giants had no threat of a pass and basically no offense.  Everyone knew that if the game went to OT, the Giants were not going to win.  It was the one rare situation where I thought the Giants should NOT have taken the ball in OT.  I was telling my wife (who had no idea of what I was talking about, nor did she give a sh*&) that the Giants were going to go 3 and out, punt, give the Jets great field position and lose the game on a FG.

I also agree that if the Giants had not taken that stupid Offside penalty, none of this would have mattered.  Given the time remaining and the lack of timeouts, the Jets did not have enough time to get the necessary yardage and get the Field Goal unit onto the field.

One positive was that it was an exciting finish to an otherwise horrible game.  Some good football entertainment on a day the Bills were not playing.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BillsIsrael said:

Was watching the end of the game and with 4th and 1 on Jets 19 - I know hindsight is 20-20 but even before I was surprised he didn't go for it - Barkley would get it over 50% of the time and then they milk the clock. Don't make it - the jets have to start at there own 19. I thought there chances were better than attempting a FG. I was saying it to anybody who would listen even before Gano missed.
Does that not make sense?

If they made the 1st down on 4th and one, game over.  If they get stopped about the same amount of time left as clock stopps on change of possession  and would need to go another 7 or 8 yards further.

Having said that, tend to agree may have been smarter to go for it.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Another killer play was the Offside play by Thibodeaux. That was the play where Wilson had a 30-yard completion to midfield, but the clock stopped with 17 seconds left because of the Offside. Shows you how dumb Wilson is for throwing it in the middle of the field and no timeouts. If he doesn't go Offside the Jets run out of time. 

This was the real blunder. Thibodeaux went from hero to goat real quick.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.