The Latavius Murray Spot

hellofellowbillsfans

super minor detail i know and not sure if it's been mentioned....but one thing that was strange to me on the last Bills drive was that it seemed like Murray got HOSED for a bad spot. I thought it should've been 4th and inches instead of 4th and 2. Not sure if it changes McD's mind about punting but, at least with 4th and inches, I was a fan of sneaking to just ice the win there. 

did anyone else notice this?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Yup, he pushed to the 48 and came down between the 49-48 yard line and spotted the ball just about on the 49 yard line (1st down marker was at about the 47 1/2, 47 3/4).

Unfortunately, within 2 minutes so couldn't challenge the spot and the booth wasn't going to call down to overrule it.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 153112.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-27 153153.jpg

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

super minor detail i know and not sure if it's been mentioned....but one thing that was strange to me on the last Bills drive was that it seemed like Murray got HOSED for a bad spot. I thought it should've been 4th and inches instead of 4th and 2. Not sure if it changes McD's mind about punting but, at least with 4th and inches, I was a fan of sneaking to just ice the win there. 

Yep. If they had given us the right spot is is 100% a go for it moment.

• Agree 4

Noticed this as well. The Ref on the far side was running in and aligning with the ref on the opposite side, as they do for determining the spot. They are basically taking an average of what the two Line refs saw. The one on the far side got bumped by a player, back towards the Bills side and never re adjusted his spot from where he got bumped.  It was a bad spot.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, hellofellowbillsfans said:

McDermott actually explicitly said in an interview today that if that 4th down had been 4th and inches he would have gone for it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was hoping this was about his “roster spot” and it was going to spark a discussion for replacements. The guy was a real nice story against Washington and LV but it’s time to please stop. Cook should be our Kamara and if we insist on a constant rotation, it can't be an old slow guy. Please stop wasting touches with this guy and please save McDermott from himself by bringing in another guy.

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t understand why mcd taking so much for being conservative

He hasn’t been in the past

Their office was getting nowhere and we had the lead wouldn’t make sense not to get them good field position?

Obviously, that was the rationale. It was a 50-50 decision. Could have gone either way. Not necessarily a bad one. 
If they’d gone for it and somehow come up short, the same complainers would be questioning why they didn’t punt to pin Mayfield and the Bucs deep in their own territory. The D had been having success against them, so the choice to punt seemed like a reasonable one. 

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Their office was getting nowhere and we had the lead wouldn’t make sense not to get them good field position?

This is kind of where I’m at.

I am a McDermott critic but I thought his game management was great Thursday

When it’s 4th and 2 plus and you’re up 14 in the 4th, you punt in those spots especially when Tampas offence is horrible.

And even if it was 4th and inches there, you still punt it and make Baker go 80-90’yards in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts..

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Yup, he pushed to the 48 and came down between the 49-48 yard line and spotted the ball just about on the 49 yard line (1st down marker was at about the 47 1/2, 47 3/4).

Unfortunately, within 2 minutes so couldn't challenge the spot and the booth wasn't going to call down to overrule it.

You can’t challenge it, but if you don’t waste your timeouts on defense the drive before you can call one and then make a big stink on the sideline to hopefully get a booth review. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if Daboll pushed him to be more aggressive? Dorsey won't stand up to him. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

So the Officials on the field or in NY saw no need to discuss the spot of the ball on what might have been one of the most important plays of the game? No need for a measurement? If coaches cant challenge, the expectation is that the officials will do their job and confirm a fair spot of the ball using replay. Apparently every single one of them forgot to? What was McD doing at that point? Can he ask? I'm trying to remember if he was aware of how bad the spot was ?

7 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

This is kind of where I’m at.

I am a McDermott critic but I thought his game management was great Thursday

When it’s 4th and 2 plus and you’re up 14 in the 4th, you punt in those spots especially when Tampas offence is horrible.

And even if it was 4th and inches there, you still punt it and make Baker go 80-90’yards in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts..

I'm a McD skeptic and I had no issue with either punt. Perfectly fine decisions there. 

The timeout on defense on the last series after their first or second play was dumb. 

The worst was letting Dorsey rub Murray out of shotgun on the 6 in line. That has to be under center with a fullback(preferably a DT) or Allen sneak. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm a McD skeptic and I had no issue with either punt. Perfectly fine decisions there. 

The timeout on defense on the last series after their first or second play was dumb. 

The worst was letting Dorsey rub Murray out of shotgun on the 6 in line. That has to be under center with a fullback(preferably a DT) or Allen sneak. 

Absolutely. At first I thought it may have been an RPO, but after looking at the replay, I see that it’s just a straight up hand off. The WRs don’t even move on the snap. They just stand there. If you’re going to so that, then put in your big guys.

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

And he almost did it.  Unfortunately, the defense is anti-clutch right now so the safest defense in that situation is to get the first down. The offense needs to close it out because the defense can’t be relied on. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

And he almost did it.  Unfortunately, the defense is anti-clutch right now so the safest defense in that situation is to get the first down. The offense needs to close it out because the defense can’t be relied on. 

Offence has to close it out on 3rd down, agreed 

But you have to punt that ball on 4th.

Under 0 circumstances should an offence go 80-90 yards in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts. (Which they didn’t)

On 10/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, John from Riverside said:

You don't have to play the field position game if you keep your foot on the gas and stop playing not to lose. Not dissing your idea at all, I get it, just my mindset on not letting up. I like the bench josh in the 4th quarter Bills best lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.