Did Dorien Williams get benched yesterday?

John from Riverside

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Personally, I think benching Dorien Williams was a mistake. Let the kid learn.

After a performance like that, his learning will come in the film room, not on the field. If you can't grasp your responsibilities you can't play.

Coming from Tulane to playing against an NFL mastermind like Belichick is not an easy transition. Chalk it up to a bad game for a young player... he was still not the primary reason our defense wilted over and over again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

watchign williams he can't tackle but more importantly it seems that he goes freelance and does his own thing - kiko alonso style.

i don't think he's maintaining his responsibilities, performing his assignments, and then getting pushed around.

i'm amazed that an undersized LB who many thought did not play powerful or big enough is being handled this way.

No disagreement, but they knew that when they drafted him. 

Here's what we need to understand, yesterday's game forced our defense into a more traditional role, or at least that's the way it ended up.  

We're not built for that for the very reason you stated.  McD's D has been predicated upon swarming players rotating in and out.  In this game he had to rely more on his depth.  Without Milano we have no one that's stout at the point of attack up-the-middle, even a brick-footed larger LB would have been useful, although he wouldn't have fit into the D the way that it's run.  

File under if you're going to run this kind of a D, best to make sure you have the appropriate depth players.  We obviously don't, and opponents, offensively weak ones, have figured out how to capitalize on it.  

Still, it doesn't' explain why three of our leading pass rushers, all of whom played, two of which started, netted 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, and only 1 QB Hit.  Rousseau, Floyd, and AJE, oddly all getting only about 50% of the snaps.  

Plan on seeing more of the offensive game-plan that Belichick brought.  Our defense in general is average or so, but our rushing D is bottom-dwelling right now.  It's one of our worst in franchise history.  There's no reason to expect that to change.  And considering that the offenses that we've played to date are ranked ...

So far, besides Miami, we've faced the 14th, 22nd, 25th, 27th, 29th, and 30th ranked Yardage Offenses, and ... 

the 9th, 18th, 20th, 30th, 31st, and 32nd ranked Scoring Offenses.  

Coming up we face offenses on the other end of the spectrum.  

Edited by PBF81

50 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

McDermott cannot stand mental errors. He would rather see a guy get beat due to his physical limitations than a guy get beat due to mental mistakes. That's what I think is driving these decisions.

See T Edmunds for reference

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

See T Edmunds for reference

Actually I don’t know if Edmunds is point or counterpoint to your argument. Physically gifted but often out of position. Not sure this is overpursuit, bad instincts or mental lapses.

Edited by Best Williams Available

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And if he did why

For Dodson?

For chrissake

Yes, it makes sense though.

Our DTs are as sound as the foundation in my 143 year old house, OL was leaking to our linebackers like rainwater into my basement. 

Dodson is MUCH better vs the run than Williams, and probably a little more consistent mental game wise. 

Williams didn't play as bad as I initially thought. He was misaligned a couple times. Didn't fit correctly or was slow to fit on the split zone the Patriots ran a few times, but the thing that got him benched was giving up the big pass to Bourne on mesh. He had a bust in every series.

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

No disagreement, but they knew that when they drafted him. 

Here's what we need to understand, yesterday's game forced our defense into a more traditional role, or at least that's the way it ended up.  

We're not built for that for the very reason you stated.  McD's D has been predicated upon swarming players rotating in and out.  In this game he had to rely more on his depth.  Without Milano we have no one that's stout at the point of attack up-the-middle, even a brick-footed larger LB would have been useful, although he wouldn't have fit into the D the way that it's run.  

File under if you're going to run this kind of a D, best to make sure you have the appropriate depth players.  We obviously don't, and opponents, offensively weak ones, have figured out how to capitalize on it.  

Still, it doesn't' explain why three of our leading pass rushers, all of whom played, two of which started, netted 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, and only 1 QB Hit.  Rousseau, Floyd, and AJE, oddly all getting only about 50% of the snaps.  

Plan on seeing more of the offensive game-plan that Belichick brought.  Our defense in general is average or so, but our rushing D is bottom-dwelling right now.  It's one of our worst in franchise history.  There's no reason to expect that to change.  And considering that the offenses that we've played to date are ranked ...

So far, besides Miami, we've faced the 14th, 22nd, 25th, 27th, 29th, and 30th ranked Yardage Offenses, and ... 

the 9th, 18th, 20th, 30th, 31st, and 32nd ranked Scoring Offenses.  

Coming up we face offenses on the other end of the spectrum.  

Because we essentially rushed 3 all day. Settle added absolutely nothing to the pass rush and often times automatically played as a low box player not even attempting to win a rush. Hard to get home when it's 3 v 6.

30 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Williams didn't play as bad as I initially thought. He was misaligned a couple times. Didn't fit correctly or was slow to fit on the split zone the Patriots ran a few times, but the thing that got him benched was giving up the big pass to Bourne on mesh. He had a bust in every series.

Because we essentially rushed 3 all day. Settle added absolutely nothing to the pass rush and often times automatically played as a low box player not even attempting to win a rush. Hard to get home when it's 3 v 6.

We rushed 4 on 84% of defensive snaps. Couldn't find any blitz stats yet but I'm pretty sure we were way above our season average. Still couldn't get pressure and Mac had all day to sit back and find the open guys.

18 minutes ago, MPT said:

We rushed 4 on 84% of defensive snaps. Couldn't find any blitz stats yet but I'm pretty sure we were way above our season average. Still couldn't get pressure and Mac had all day to sit back and find the open guys.

Mac seemed to get the ball out really quick though so it's hard to get any pressure that way.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, MPT said:

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about. I'll see if I can add a video.

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about. Look at Settle.

a71e0c82-d958-4f2b-a66a-de5b3f1ad640.gif

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Was watching some of the game earlier, didn't see much, if any, three man pass rush.  

I'll watch more when I have time.  Do you know what part of the game they used only three?  

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Was watching some of the game earlier, didn't see much, if any, three man pass rush.  

I'll watch more when I have time.  Do you know what part of the game they used only three?  

It wasn’t meant to be three man. Settle just wasted himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

They used 4, but it was effectively 3 because Settle couldn't get anything done. 

This isn't news, with DaQuan Jones out in the Bengals playoff game Settle played like half the snaps and it was Fugly.  60% against NWE with DaQuan AND Ed Oliver (who they plugged in at 1T vs Giants just to have someone who can play there) out.

And it was Fuglier.

I actually had good hopes for Settle when we signed him and hoped he was hampered by his calf injury last season but ick, apparently not.

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

The early season story of wow our LB's are better is quickly turning into a huge weakness.  

Eh.  First off Early Season (1st 5 games) we had Milano.  When Williams came in for him, he looked bad.

Williams looked ok against the Giants. 

If there's one thing Bill Belicheck does know how to do, it's to scheme up to fool rookies and young players and take advantage of them, Dorian Williams included.

They also run a quick-release passing game with a good bit of YAC for the most part, not sure about Sunday.  More than half of passing yards YAC.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.