NFL wants to eliminate "hip drop" tackles

BaaadThingsMan

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

How do they claim they are so concerned with player safety but still allow teams to play on garbage turf fields like the one at Tottenham's field?  Oh...that's right...because it's only an actual concern when it doesn't interfere with money.

Same thing with Thursday Night football. Health wise they should never be playing 2 games in 3-4 days. Shoot, last year didn't they let the Bills play 3 in 10 days?  That's just insanely negligent for what they put their bodies through 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Going to be even more flags.  Maybe we should just rename the entertainment, Flag Football. Not because they use flags to tackle but the ref is the most important person on the field. 

Already feels that way this season.  Ive never seen so many flags thrown before.

8 hours ago, Herc11 said:

How do you lead with your shoulder and drive through a player when trying to tackle from behind?

These tackles don't occur when the defensive player is facing them head on. It's typically from the side or the back when the defensive player is in pursuit. What's next? Once a player gets by you, you have to let them go?

Yup. You’re job is to get the ball carrier down on the ground. You’re not always in a position to make a form tackle. Very dumb idea. 

17 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Ironic, the nfl want to keep putting safety rules in place yet injuries are sky rocking at a faster pace than ever before. Seems to be having the opposite affect. 

Well, like it or not, these guys hit/tackle each other with no concern about causing injury, in fact the players are taught to do it this way, the league knows this, and does the safety dance game to pretend they actually care, what they care about is liability…, 

18 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Ironic, the nfl want to keep putting safety rules in place yet injuries are sky rocking at a faster pace than ever before. Seems to be having the opposite affect. 

Exactly, there are more injuries because players are having to think about every move. 

When you're a defender and you have to move you head back, can't go too low, can't tackle this way, etc.... you are putting yourself at risk. 

I think another issue is, there is far less hitting and tackling in practices so bodies arent used to it. 

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

now try imagine what it would look like w out the safety rules lol

it would be an absolute bloodbath

I disagree. Thinking too much puts you at more risk. 

There aren't rules for tackling other than no horse collar and no high hits. The more you implement, the more there will be. 

I genuinely believe the soft nature of practices has led to more injuries. You can't just walk through practice, get hit a minimal amount of times, and then expect to go full force with a 245 lb linebacker running a 4.3 with no injury.. it's lunacy. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Idk I’d the hip drop is as obvious as crown head hits or horse collar

im not for more “judgement” penalties 

Well it's pretty obvious when you grab someone from behind , and just sit down all your weight on the back of his legs

It's different than diving and making a tackle

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well it's pretty obvious when you grab someone from behind , and just sit down all your weight on the back of his legs

It's different than diving and making a tackle

you can "hip drop" your hips away from his legs, will be an effective tackle as well.  i think this is enforceable if they make it the grab, the drag, and the body onto the back of the legs.  eliminate one of the 3, no flag.

20 minutes ago, colin said:

you can "hip drop" your hips away from his legs, will be an effective tackle as well.  i think this is enforceable if they make it the grab, the drag, and the body onto the back of the legs.  eliminate one of the 3, no flag.

In a game where people are flying around 20 miles an hour

It's a game of reaction not thinking... You really don't think in the moment to drop your hips away from his legs... Dropping your hips on his legs is what helps the tackle 

You're dropping on him in the speed of the game 

Somebody is running away from you and you're running up to him closing distance.. you're not dropping your hips away from him , you are sticking to him like glue

Edited by Buffalo716

On 10/18/2023 at 8:22 PM, H2o said:

I miss these days

steve-atwater-christian-okoye.gif?w=480&

Well this is a tough one. I loved football when it was like this, but if you say that then you're deemed a macho caveman who doesn't care about injuries etc. For me it's more about what the game is becoming - a glorified version of arena league where everything is geared to points being scored. The NFL must be pissed that offences are struggling this year. Although a lot of the time that's because of sloppy offensive play rather than brilliantly executed defense.

I remember watching the 49ers and Seahawks championship game back in the Legion of Boom days and absolutely loved it. It had a real old school cat and mouse feel about it with both defenses dominating and the refs were basically letting them play. I loved every minute of it and I remember thinking "this is the game I grew up loving". I think Brady said the NFL is really just college ball now and I really don't enjoy watching it as much, but I realize that's my age more than anything and people who watched the game in the 50s and 60s probably said the same thing about the K gun and run and shoot offenses. 

I think that's why I love Josh Allen so much, he has a real old school attitude about him when he trucks defenders and goes all in.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's a game of reaction not thinking... You really don't think in the moment to drop your hips away from his legs... Dropping your hips on his legs is what helps the tackle 

Somebody is running away from you and you're running up to him closing distance.. you're not dropping your hips away from him , you are sticking to him like glue

In each rugby example it looked quite intentional 

Everyone and their kids knows that it’s very hard to take someone down if you aim high, unless you aim for their heads - which is a no no. It’s much more efficient to aim low and wrap them up. Going too low is bad too, because all the player needs to do it jump or regain their balance. So, how does the NFL expect players to efficiently tackle players? Maybe the NFL should begin training players on how to prepare to be tackled. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I have a solution: go to two hand touch or flag football. That will cut down on injuries.

Note: engage sarcasm detector when reading this post.

You get why are doing things, like the head shots. But it’s getting stupid. The best is Nancy boy Tom Brady, who is one of the biggest reasons for the tile changes, talking about how soft the nfl is now. Suspicious Mirror Image GIF by Klaus

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've played football and rugby.  it'll happen on accident sure (like head on head collisions) but with some practice and an enforced rule, i think it will happen less.

people said what you said about going too high or low on the qb in the pocket.  now, if you are saying the rules are overly officious, sure i agree, but we've seen less insane hits on QBs than there used to be, so they can do something about hip drops too.

8 minutes ago, colin said:

I've played football and rugby.  it'll happen on accident sure (like head on head collisions) but with some practice and an enforced rule, i think it will happen less.

people said what you said about going too high or low on the qb in the pocket.  now, if you are saying the rules are overly officious, sure i agree, but we've seen less insane hits on QBs than there used to be, so they can do something about hip drops too.

Maybe I'm not getting my point across clearly...  I'm saying hip drops is a dirty tackle

And most players know it's dangerous but they do it because it's effective... They don't think about doing it it just happens because it's an effective way to tackle from behind

But if the league starts cracking down on it players will obviously stop doing it.. they do it because they get away with it

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Everyone and their kids knows that it’s very hard to take someone down if you aim high, unless you aim for their heads - which is a no no. It’s much more efficient to aim low and wrap them up. Going too low is bad too, because all the player needs to do it jump or regain their balance. So, how does the NFL expect players to efficiently tackle players? Maybe the NFL should begin training players on how to prepare to be tackled. 

….and let us not forget, this is all happening near the speed of light. The players know the risks. I’m all for safety improvements, but we want to recognize the game too. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Maybe I'm not getting my point across clearly...  I'm saying hip drops is a dirty tackle

And most players know it's dangerous but they do it because it's effective... They don't think about doing it it just happens because it's an effective way to tackle from behind

But if the league starts cracking down on it players will obviously stop doing it.. they do it because they get away with it

@PatsFanNH

You can disagree with everybody here... And say that's how it's taught

But there's a reason why few division 1 football players are coming from New Hampshire

Horse collar is illegal because of the damage it can do ... This is the same principle

You don't need to drop all your weight onto somebody's lower body to tackle them from behind.. and roll them up

You can tackle people from the ankles and shins without breaking their tibia or fibia or ankle

Edited by Buffalo716

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

@PatsFanNH

You can disagree with everybody here... And say that's how it's taught

But there's a reason why few division 1 football players are coming from New Hampshire

Horse collar is illegal because of the damage it can do ... This is the same principle

You don't need to drop all your weight onto somebody's lower body to tackle them from behind.. and roll them up

You can tackle people from the ankles and shins without breaking their tibia or fibia or ankle

Wow! First if it matters it’s taught that way in Texas as you can see that on all those dumb Pop Warner type shows on Netflix.  You can also tackle from the hip and slide down to the knees and not break anything as well. You can also barely touch the person and they break a bone. Sorry, not sorry this shouldn’t be made illegal. It’s football you may get hurt, I’m all for getting rid of head shots as those can affect you mentally and emotionally down the line.. this is just a normal risk. 

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wow! First if it matters it’s taught that way in Texas as you can see that on all those dumb Pop Warner type shows on Netflix.  You can also tackle from the hip and slide down to the knees and not break anything as well. You can also barely touch the person and they break a bone. Sorry, not sorry this shouldn’t be made illegal. It’s football you may get hurt, I’m all for getting rid of head shots as those can affect you mentally and emotionally down the line.. this is just a normal risk. 

Listen football is a violent sport... Nobody wants to make it flag football

There's a difference between tackling somebody from the side or the back... And dropping your hip onto the back of their legs rolling them up

The key part of this is when they drop their hip , and rolls the leg up... Which causes serious injury like a horse collar 

You can avoid that... Nobody's saying you can't grab a player's ankle or leg... You can't sit down on the back of it

Edited by Buffalo716

I get it, but it also seems like another way for the league to create drama or changing channels.

Example: Bills defense 4th & 10 up by 2 on their own 45, 30 seconds left.  Swing pass called, tackled by Bills CB 2 yards shy, game over? Nope, hip drop tackle, 1st down drive alive. This board as others would explode.

The tackle is a problem, but the reprecussions of deciding games, playoffs, Superbowl...are a bigger problem. My 2¢

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen football is a violent sport... Nobody wants to make it flag football

There's a difference between tackling somebody from the side or the back... And dropping your hip onto the back of their legs rolling them up

The key part of this is when they drop their hip , and rolls the leg up... Which causes serious injury like a horse collar 

You can avoid that... Nobody's saying you can't grab a player's ankle or leg... You can't sit down on the back of it

You do realize you be asking refs who can’t call a game already right. Now you have another JUDGEMENT call for them to make. 

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, it seems like it creates the same general torque on the body as a horse collar. I don’t blame them for wanting to limit it. If it actually works would surprise me. Like horse collars, these tackles are usually a result of angle or position. I don’t think a penalty can stop instincts. 

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I mean, it seems like it creates the same general torque on the body as a horse collar. I don’t blame them for wanting to limit it. If it actually works would surprise me. Like horse collars, these tackles are usually a result of angle or position. I don’t think a penalty can stop instincts. 

Exactly it's usually piss poor angles

If you are in the right spot you don't need to hip drop tackle

And it does create the same torque as a horse collar but with your hip dropping down on the back of your opponent's legs

People also don't differentiate between dirty and legal in football.. there's plenty of plays that are legal but are considered dirty because they blur the lines

It's a dirty way to tackle.. it's definitely not good technique, and it's way more dangerous than a standard tackle

Edited by Buffalo716

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, Saint Doug said:

Attach two coloured flags to the hip pads. Problem solved 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.