Is there an official update on Daquan yet?

Alphadawg7

I can't find anything as of yet, but all the talk has been as if we are losing him for the season.  Just wondering if it's been confirmed yet or not that he did tear his pec.  I know I have been operating off the assumption he is lost for the season, but that is just soley based on everyone else's talk like he is, yet I still can't find anything that says he is actually out for the season and the pec is torn.  

Hoping it is still possible its a strain or something versus it being a torn pec...so am I missing something, or is it still possible he isn't lost for the season?

I haven't seen anything yet. If it is a torn pec that's like a six month minimum recovery so that'd be the season for him. I base this off a couple of pro wrestlers who tore their pec recently. Cody Rhodes was out from like April 2022 to January 2023 (he actually finished his recovery ahead of schedule.) Another guy, Danhausen, tore his in March and only as of last week has it been stated that he'll be returning soon. 

Friggin bummer. Kinda felt like the Bengals playoff loss. I mean, Timmy Settle seems like a great team guy but when he has to go spell Daquan for an extended set of snaps the results aren't great. 

I dunno. They can mix it up at DT though. Groot can line up there, they'll get Poona rolling again I'm sure. I think Shaq could take some snaps there if needed. I'm thinking maybe they'll get creative in trying to replace him but who knows. 

Watching the Defense lose its 1st, 3rd, and 4th most important players in a span of two weeks is a real letdown for this team's Super Bowl aspirations...hopefully they can stitch together a serviceable enough D with the players remaining to allow Josh Allen and the Offense to win games in a "shoot-out" fashion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Watching the Defense lose its 1st, 3rd, and 4th most important players in a span of two weeks is a real letdown for this team's Super Bowl aspirations...hopefully they can stitch together a serviceable enough D with the players remaining to allow Josh Allen and the Offense to win games in a "shoot-out" fashion. 

Okay, I'll bite: who's #2, and when should we expect to see them go down in a pile with a ruptured spleen?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

1. Matt Milano

2. Von Miller(when fully healthy)

3. Tre White

4. DaQuan Jones

I'd replace Tre White with Taron Johnson.  Tre looked to be on his way back to a good corner, but Benford is playing around the same level. 

I'd like to see what we look like with Ford before I say Daquan Jones is/was Top 4.  

Matt Milano is definitely a big loss, but at one of the easiest positions on a defense to fill. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

1. Matt Milano

2. Von Miller(when fully healthy)

3. Tre White

4. DaQuan Jones

No disresptect...but let me update your list.

1.  Matt Milano

2.  Daquan Jones

3.  Tre White

4.  Von Miller

I love Tre White and Von Miller...but their importance to this team are not on the same level as Milano and Jones right now.  Jones has been the best DT in football the first 4 weeks and was hurt doing what he does blowing up 3rd down to force 3 and out on the first drive.  This team can live without Tre and proven that as Bills have had statisticaly the best secondary in the NFL over the past 3 seasons coming in despite Tre missing basically a season and a half of that between the injury and then not being near himself when he first returned.  

Von, while he was great last year before being hurt, isn't nearly as essential this year with Floyd here, Groot growing more, and AJE emerging.  So while I am excited to see if he can get back, even if he does, the pass rush isn't going to get the same boost given how well the others are playing compared to how much Milano boosts the defense when he is on the field and Jones boosts the interior play at DT when he is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd replace Tre White with Taron Johnson. 

I would have Taron Johnson number 5 on my list...he was laying on the turf looking like he was done for the season, but thankfully he popped back up and returned to the game.....at least the Bills were able to dodge that bullet!

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  Matt Milano

2.  Daquan Jones

3.  Tre White

4.  Von Miller

Fair enough, but you have to factor in a veteran presence and locker room leadership.... that's where Tre and Von excel.....not to mention the fact that when you need a big play in an important moment, guys like Tre and Von always rise to the occasion in those moments...so does Milano.

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Who made up this fake list? 🤣

Me

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  Matt Milano

2.  Daquan Jones

3.  Tre White

4.  Von Miller

I love Tre White and Von Miller...but their importance to this team are not on the same level as Milano and Jones right now.  Jones has been the best DT in football the first 4 weeks and was hurt doing what he does blowing up 3rd down to force 3 and out on the first drive.  This team can live without Tre and proven that as Bills have had statisticaly the best secondary in the NFL over the past 3 seasons coming in despite Tre missing basically a season and a half of that between the injury and then not being near himself when he first returned.  

Von, while he was great last year before being hurt, isn't nearly as essential this year with Floyd here, Groot growing more, and AJE emerging.  So while I am excited to see if he can get back, even if he does, the pass rush isn't going to get the same boost given how well the others are playing compared to how much Milano boosts the defense when he is on the field and Jones boosts the interior play at DT when he is.  

Agree 100%.

we have other DE who have stepped up in Millers absence, no one can likely do what Daquan did on a game in and game out basis.

he and Milano are the most irreplaceable (or have the highest WAR).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Von, while he was great last year before being hurt, isn't nearly as essential this year with Floyd here, Groot growing more, and AJE emerging. 

One other thing to consider here.....its likely that Groot and Epenesa have emerged due to the fact that Von has taken them "under his wing", so to speak and "coached them up", if you will. Not to mention the fact that the likely reason Floyd signed here for less money was due to the fact he was a prior teammate of Von's and was interested in playing with him again.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Special K said:

One other thing to consider here.....its likely that Groot and Epenesa have emerged due to the fact that Von has taken them "under his wing", so to speak and "coached them up", if you will. Not to mention the fact that the likely reason Floyd signed here for less money was due to the fact he was a prior teammate of Von's and was interested in playing with him again.

All fair points prior to today.  But week in and week out of winning on that football field this season, Daquan is of higher importance of being on the field than Von given the players we have at Edge already and the importance of Jones in the middle.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He signed a two year contract in 2022 and I wonder if Beane and his agent were talking extension to contact prior to injury.

https://overthecap.com/player/daquan-jones/3051

2023 Salary Cap Charge: $8,583,333 (3.77% of cap)

2023 Cash Payout: $6,750,000 (2.50% of spending)

2023 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.79

Contract Value: $14,000,000 ($7,000,000 APY)

Fully Guaranteed Money: $10,625,000

Contract Ranking: 40/245 at IDL

He may go into free agency off IR which is not good for player.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38602551/bills-lb-matt-milano-carted-london-knee-injury

Assuming Daquan goes on IR I'd be okay going to a former Panther Bravvion Roy who I think is in the Ravens PS. 

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

I guess we find out all about Poona Ford and D Williams now.   

This season is all about the offense anyway.   the #1 all-healthy Defense isn't stopping Philly, SF or KC anyway

Because KC has a great offense this year? 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can't find anything as of yet, but all the talk has been as if we are losing him for the season.  Just wondering if it's been confirmed yet or not that he did tear his pec.  I know I have been operating off the assumption he is lost for the season, but that is just soley based on everyone else's talk like he is, yet I still can't find anything that says he is actually out for the season and the pec is torn.  

Hoping it is still possible its a strain or something versus it being a torn pec...so am I missing something, or is it still possible he isn't lost for the season?

McDermott said he would need surgery.  Doesn't know yet if it's "season ending".

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

In McDermott's presser, noted that DaQuan's injury "will require surgery"

Surgery = tear, not a sprain.

He's probably done for the year.

Nits:

A sprain is a ligament injury

A strain is a muscle injury

Like sprains, which vary in severity from stretching but no tearing of the ligament to completely torn ligament

Strains have the same variance. 

So the surgery is because it's a strain, but a severe one - probably Grade III

15 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I guess we find out all about Poona Ford and D Williams now.   

This season is all about the offense anyway.   the #1 all-healthy Defense isn't stopping Philly, SF or KC anyway

It's absolutely not all about offense. It never is. Defense has its part to play.

Philly, for one, has been neld to 23 points and 25 twice. KC has been held to 17 And to 23. SF hasn't been held yet, but they will be, especially when they go up against some decent defenses. That's the way it works. Look at last year. Look at every team every year, really. Even the best offenses will have some bad offensive games.

But yeah, we'll find out about Poona and Williams. Damn shame about those injuries, though.

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Nits:

A sprain is a ligament injury

A strain is a muscle injury

Like sprains, which vary in severity from stretching but no tearing of the ligament to completely torn ligament

Strains have the same variance. 

So the surgery is because it's a strain, but a severe one - probably Grade III

Yeah, we'll know when they announce it. That's an absolutely crucial cog, though. He's been terrific.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:43 AM, iccrewman112 said:

Agree 100%.

we have other DE who have stepped up in Millers absence, no one can likely do what Daquan did on a game in and game out basis.

he and Milano are the most irreplaceable (or have the highest WAR).

We could've absorbed the Tre loss. But losing these 2 in London just F's the season.  Don't be surprised if you see "amped Josh" more in situations where he took the short stuff given.  We'll have to rely basically on the offense. 

• Sad 1

I have a question regarding Jones. I keep reading how he is our best defensive player along with Milano and White.  Is this analysis based on the first games of this season or was this everyone’s understanding coming into the season. I would have thought in a preseason ranking Rousseau , Poyer, Miller, Hyde and Oliver were all viewed as more important pieces.  

Edited by Chaos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.