5 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

Jet Lag

Lack of sleep

Turf

Officials

Time of game.

That's just this page

“Excuses” or factors in the equation that led to a loss? 🤔

I mean, the Bills were not good, but play this game in OP and I’m guessing it’s a lil different.  IMO. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm not saying anyone should be fired. I just have a question. Is there any other team in the NFL as hot/cold a the Bills? One week they look unbeatable, the next they look like they're competing for a top 5 draft pick. This inconsistency is frustrating.

Since my daughter was born, these games don't ruin my week the way they used to. But it's still annoying. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Heitz said:

“Excuses” or factors in the equation that led to a loss? 🤔

I mean, the Bills were not good, but play this game in OP and I’m guessing it’s a lil different.  IMO. :beer: 

The price of selling your soul!

I'd prefer 100% of the games in the USA and avoid these circus acts.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Offense can still carry team to SB

defense will just have to make so w less

Preparing for Allen and Diggs to go nuclear

I would love to agree with this except in this game it was the offense the really crapped to bed most of the game and they didn't even have injuries.  Defense was on the field a lot.  Not sure where our running game and short passing game went but we will not win any shoot outs with the offense that was out there today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't get the point of harping about people "Making excuses"

Nobody thinks this game shouldn't count. Nobody thinks the Bills shouldn't have done better. The things they did bad, in addition to any other factors that could have caused the loss, are being discussed. That's how it works. Quit whining

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Can anyone help me out and point me to where I can find the number of blitzes the Bills had today against the Jags?

Just want to know the number and proof of this to dispute someone I know who said the Bills were burned "blitzing on third down every time." I doubt they did this much and it was more likely simulated pressure most times.

Thanks.

They did blitz quite a bit and on 3rd down, but I was not counting.

Those often left Elam and/or Hyde singled up in coverage and they got burnt enough times to extend drives. The rush was often just a step from getting home on those, so I am not sure I would get too wrapped around the axle on those being mistakes. There are some things technique-wise I think the Bills DBs and Safeties need to get better at when playing man and part of that I think is jamming and disrupting receivers and their timing at the line.

Lawrence looked like he was just throwing to spots on timing routes as blitz beaters. Today the backups to our backups got beat and just barely, so I don't think it is time to panic or get too down on coaching or our players. 

I don't think Dorsey had the best plan, but it was not a terrible one and we were close to breaking out on a few drives that stalled out.  I was not a fan of the officiating - way to introduce the Brits to the worst aspect of the sport. Ticky-tacky penalties like holding on an interior G negating exciting plays. Meh, got up too damn early to watch that.

Defense created some turnovers and stopped the Jags on the doorstep plenty of times, but the Jags were able to keep Allen and the offense on the sideline and eat a lot of clock and our offense did not have a lot of opportunities to try to cash in. Every possession felt like the offense had to press and Allen did not take the bait so for what it is worth it could have been worse with negative plays and turnovers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure with the players we have how any team can stop the run and the short passing game and still have Davis and Diggs covered outside.  Kincaid, Knox, and Cook should be making a ton of catches or Diggs and Davis should be blowing teams up.  If Cooks isn't shaking loose for some runs then Harris should be in there keeping the offense on schedule smashing in between the tackles.  In some respects I think early season adversity should keep the team focused through the season but the season ending injuries are piling up.

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

I don't get the point of harping about people "Making excuses"

Nobody thinks this game shouldn't count. Nobody thinks the Bills shouldn't have done better. The things they did bad, in addition to any other factors that could have caused the loss, are being discussed. That's how it works. Quit whining

To add to this, what appears to be the case in some posters' eyes is that if you take a loss for what it is, a loss, of which we will probably get 3 or 4 more even if things go really well, you are a "homer" who "makes excuses"

To satisfy these posters, you have to declare the season OVER because of what you have seen in the loss. Then you won't be making excuses. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I'm not saying anyone should be fired. I just have a question. Is there any other team in the NFL as hot/cold a the Bills? One week they look unbeatable, the next they look like they're competing for a top 5 draft pick. This inconsistency is frustrating.

Since my daughter was born, these games don't ruin my week the way they used to. But it's still annoying. 

The NFL is a week to week league. One thing that spoils us is the amount of blowout victories the Bills have been involved in the last several years. When we lose a close one (and if Buffalo loses, it is almost always close), it stings.

Luck seems to rarely be on our side but we have a very good football team. Lots of teams would switch positions with us right now. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, boyst said:

You are mistaken

We are going to get excuses all over like always. McDermott had injuries. Dorsey is the reason the team can't score in 19 minutes TOP. Jet lag. Etc. 

Lots of excuses will be made why we never come prepared. 

I just love this. Last week the coaches were genius and really did their homework. This week they lost so they "never come prepared"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffblue said:

The NFL is a week to week league. One thing that spoils us is the amount of blowout victories the Bills have been involved in the last several years. When we lose a close one (and if Buffalo loses, it is almost always close), it stings.

Luck seems to rarely be on our side but we have a very good football team. Lots of teams would switch positions with us right now. 

They have had a good playoff standard team for the 5th year now… 

We know better than most how things need to line up to get you a Championship… looking like a tough road ahead in that respect.. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

We know better than most how things need to line up to get you a Championship… looking like a tough road ahead in that respect.. 

Don't disagree man. Who cares about the Jags, today was a pisser when you think about the whole season outlook

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

In a sick way, I almost miss the drought (hear me out lol)...at least then the expectation was "hey let's get in the playoffs".  Now, it's Super Bowl or bust...that is 1000x harder than just making the playoffs.  I fear we will be the Rivers Chargers...good/great regular seasons with no hardware to show for it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I am not one to make excuses but this game was a funky London game and the first time a team played a London game against a team that played in London the week before.

I think this “hot and cold” game was not unexpected 

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

In a sick way, I almost miss the drought (hear me out lol)...at least then the expectation was "hey let's get in the playoffs".  Now, it's Super Bowl or bust...that is 1000x harder than just making the playoffs.  I fear we will be the Rivers Chargers...good/great regular seasons with no hardware to show for it.  

The drought was awful, I wished the Bills during the drought could be a team like the McNabb Eagles even if it meant not winning a title. I still am enjoying winning football with hope over low expectations despair 

42 minutes ago, WideNine said:

They did blitz quite a bit and on 3rd down, but I was not counting.

Thanks for the recap. But my big drunken mouth disputed that the Bills blitzed EVERY TIME On third and I put money on it. And I said they didn't blitz more tha 50% on third just to be cocky.

I suspect they blitzed a fair bit but I need proof exactly how often it happened. 

Cheers.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boco357 said:

When will this team ever win in ugly fashion?

It’s interesting. They tend to either look like the best team around or like one that can’t buy a first down. Last year vs Ravens comes to mind as an ugly win. Maybe @ Lions too. It’s definitely not the Bills calling card though. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Rivers and Chargers looks to be a fair analogy. 

My quick observations:

- Dorsey running the ball with 5:00 left in the 4th for -2 yards to Cook. 

Nice to see we’re still doing Jets final drive crap.

- Dorsey, 14:30 left in the 4th goes in a 3 Tight End set and tries to roll Allen out and throw? I think we got penalized on that play, absolutely stupid call and I was yelling before the snap this is a stupid formation.

- Dorsey had a drive in the 4th where Harris runs for 6 on first down, then we go pass-pass-pass and have to punt. 

- Gotta love McDermott lining 32 year old Hyde up 1 on 1 with Calvin Ridley in a critical spot. Again, any Bills fan was saying they’re going to Ridley here before the snap…..

- Nice to see Von on a 5 play snap count today, making Lawson inactive on a day where we were desperate for Defensive Lineman.

Why was he activated if he wasn’t 100% ready to go? 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

My quick observations:

- Dorsey, 14:30 left in the 4th goes in a 3 Tight End set and tries to roll Allen out and throw? I think we got penalized on that play, absolutely stupid call and I was yelling before the snap this is a stupid formation.

- Dorsey had a drive in the 4th where Harris runs for 6 on first down, then we go pass-pass-pass and have to punt. 

- Gotta love McDermott lining 32 year old Hyde up 1 on 1 with Calvin Ridley in a critical spot. Again, any Bills fan was saying they’re going to Ridley here before the snap…..

- Nice to see Von on a 5 play snap count today, making Lawson inactive on a day where we were desperate for Defensive Lineman.

There were so many questionable decisions starting with travel to game time moves 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Not sure with the players we have how any team can stop the run and the short passing game and still have Davis and Diggs covered outside.  Kincaid, Knox, and Cook should be making a ton of catches or Diggs and Davis should be blowing teams up.  If Cooks isn't shaking loose for some runs then Harris should be in there keeping the offense on schedule smashing in between the tackles.  In some respects I think early season adversity should keep the team focused through the season but the season ending injuries are piling up.

It’s week 5 and they’ve likely lost 2, maybe 3 leaders on D for the year. Couple more things like weather etc and the long season will take its toll again.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

My quick observations:

Ridley is 28...what's your point? 

CB 1-2 are out.  Who else would you have trusted 1v1?  It was the right call.  Perfect pass and catch. 

Everyone knew Miller would only play a limited amount of snaps today, it's not breaking news.  It's his first game back. 

You don't risk it all in week 5.

The real blame here is on two things.  Execution, which we didn't do. 

The NFL using us as a Guinea Pig to see how bad jet lag effects one team over another. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Ridley is 28...what's your point? 

CB 1-2 are out.  Who else would you have trusted 1v1?  It was the right call.  Perfect pass and catch. 

Everyone knew Miller would only play a limited amount of snaps today, it's not breaking news.  It's his first game back. 

You don't risk it all in week 5.

The real blame here is on two things.  Execution, which we didn't do. 

The NFL using us as a Guinea Pig to see how bad jet lag effects one team over another. 

I did not like Dorsey’s play calling at times and I do wish the Bills knowing the game could have been sloppy tried to just go under center and run heavy with Murray and Harris early in Q1.

But let’s be honest injuries and the jet lag really put the Bills behind the eight ball so to speak. Take care of business next week and lick your wounds

• Like (+1) 3

Looking at the team stats.  Both offenses had 12 drives.  We had a lot of penalties but the Jags took more sacks.  We were horrible on 3rd down and running the ball.  I think the fact that we only had 10 rushing attempts by the rb's is telling.  We need to run the ball even when we don't have a 2 score lead.  If Cook isn't running free after 2 or 3 carries we can't give up.  Bring in Harris and punish them a few times and keep 3rd downs manageable.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

It’s week 5 and they’ve likely lost 2, maybe 3 leaders on D for the year. Couple more things like weather etc and the long season will take its toll again.

IMO Jones is the crushing loss (if he's out all year).  Oliver can play but without Jones I bet he'll be game planned for and disappear at times.  Phillips can't stay healthy if he's going starter reps and Settle has yet to do anything that moves a meter.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

IMO Jones is the crushing loss (if he's out all year).  Oliver can play but without Jones I bet he'll be game planned for and disappear at times.  Phillips can't stay healthy if he's going starter reps and Settle has yet to do anything that moves a meter.

Poona Ford may be the fulcrum of the defense at least while D Jones is out. I liked what J Phillips did but he is more of a rotational three tech DT they need Ford to play good in absence of Jones. Luckily unlike last season the Bills at least have someone that can attempt to fill that role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I would love to agree with this except in this game it was the offense the really crapped to bed most of the game and they didn't even have injuries.  Defense was on the field a lot.  Not sure where our running game and short passing game went but we will not win any shoot outs with the offense that was out there today.

Exactly....half way thru the 4th quarter it was only 11-7. Our depleted D was still holding it's own.  Dorsey & the O started the bed.

This loss essentially cancels out all of the good will from the Dolphins win. I’m sick of the excuses around here. We needed this game and I’m so sick of the homers we have here making excuses. Looks like Milano out for the year at LB. *****. 

The inconsistency of the offense for this team is maddening. This loss is collectively on the offense. The D more than did their part given the dire circumstances they were dealt. 

Teams like Philly, SanFran and KC don’t drop a game like this one. They just take care of business and move on. We will be second tier until we can avoid these types of losses. Dorsey and Allen better figure it out because the O is going to need to carry this team moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Nator99 said:

This loss essentially cancels out all of the good will from the Dolphins win. I’m sick of the excuses around here. We needed this game and I’m so sick of the homers we have here making excuses. Looks like Milano out for the year at LB. *****. 

Well you've sole me. It's over. Better to be sellers and start the tank for Caleb 

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Well you've sole me. It's over. Better to be sellers and start the tank for cakeby

I didn’t say the season is over but now we have two AFC losses and we have to go to Miami wbo will want paybacks. We have multiple starters on D out and we have homers like you who think it’s no big deal and say “In Josh we trust”. That’s not how the NFL works. This was a game we could not lose. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Nator99 said:

I didn’t say the season is over but now we have two AFC losses and we have to go to Miami wbo will want paybacks. We have multiple starters on D out and we have homers like you who think it’s no big deal and say “In Josh we trust”. That’s not how the NFL works. This was a game we could not lose. 

Oh no. That's only twelve weeks away!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Nator99 said:

The Bills could lose this game and be fine. It isn’t ideal to drop this game but saying this game was some sort of must win is not accurate. At 3-2 the Bills just have to take care of business the next two weeks and see where the chips fall after that.

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I did not like Dorsey’s play calling at times and I do wish the Bills knowing the game could have been sloppy tried to just go under center and run heavy with Murray and Harris early in Q1.

But let’s be honest injuries and the jet lag really put the Bills behind the eight ball so to speak. Take care of business next week and lick your wounds

At least they gave up on the Cook up the middle play....

21 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Looking at the team stats.  Both offenses had 12 drives.  We had a lot of penalties but the Jags took more sacks.  We were horrible on 3rd down and running the ball.  I think the fact that we only had 10 rushing attempts by the rb's is telling.  We need to run the ball even when we don't have a 2 score lead.  If Cook isn't running free after 2 or 3 carries we can't give up.  Bring in Harris and punish them a few times and keep 3rd downs manageable.

I think this is a good point. While I'm fine with Cook as the lead back, if he's off with Dorsey seemingly trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, bring in the hammer. Harris looked good in limited opportunities today. I DGAF who gets the reps. Just ride the hot hand and play to their goddamn strengths

This is going to come out of right field but I was at the Bills vs Miami on Halloween a few years ago and the offense was struggling and the defense held it together and eventually Beasley caught fire.  We need to run the ball enough no matter what and we need a short yardage receiver that you just can't stop.  With the offense we have SOMEONE should always be open.  

Edited by Maine-iac

I had a bad feeling going into this game-

Due for a letdown after last week's huge win.

Lots of travel / logistics issues to navigate. 

Left way way too late in the week.  

Team matchup and last game plastic memory.  The 2019 loss was still relatively fresh.  

Doug Pedersen is an excellent coach and can rise to the occasion to beat a marquee team.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.