Goodbye BarBill, Hello Bar at Main and Hamlin.

Draconator

12 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

No kidding, I had no idea about the other location.     Was it still called Ed's then?   I can't remember when they changed the name and the bar front.

it just went by Pony’s.  Near main and Kraus. 

it was simply too big for just doing chicken wings and they didn’t have a liquor license, I believe, so it was just tough.

Ahhh...I remember my college days back at the Univerity at Buffalo in the early '80s, when most bars around the Main Street campus had ten cent wing nights, and a pitcher of Genny Cream went under $5......of course the minimum wage was $3.25, gas was $1.25 a gallon, and you could have  great seats at a Bills game for under $20.....

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

it just went by Pony’s.  Near main and Kraus. 

it was simply too big for just doing chicken wings and they didn’t have a liquor license, I believe, so it was just tough.

Ahh.  Makes sense.  I'll have to give the wings a try.   I've been going to the place for over 20 years and have only ever done the fingers.   

Appreciate the back story, always cool to know a bit more about a local favorite.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:50 PM, Draconator said:

I'm at the Bar at Main and Hamlin. They are diagonally across the street from BarBill in East Aurora. The place is owned and operated by former BarBill employees.

Ladies and Gentlemen, their wings here and 100% far superior than anything BarBill can serve. About a 10 minute wait for a seat.

The hype is real. Go there and see for yourself

Bar Bill are some of the best wings int he country. It's impossible for anything to be 100% better than them.

• Agree 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:52 PM, Utah John said:

Back when I lived in WNY the best beef on weck was at Schwabl's in West Seneca.  Is that still a good place?

Schwabl's is still there, however, I don't care for them.  I find their beef to be both too thick and too fatty.  Bar Bill's almost melts in your mouth whereas Schwabl's you have to tear through the beef and it can be quite chewy.  Personally, I'll take Bar Bill all day every day over Schwabl's.   

Edited by Preds
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, Draconator said:

I'm at the Bar at Main and Hamlin. They are diagonally across the street from BarBill in East Aurora. The place is owned and operated by former BarBill employees.

Ladies and Gentlemen, their wings here and 100% far superior than anything BarBill can serve. About a 10 minute wait for a seat.

Ate at M&H last weekend and loved it. Thank you for the recommendation! Nice, crispy wings and the sauces (we tried two) are the best I’ve had. I very much liked the appetizers we had too. I will be going back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How did I miss this topic? Is this how schisms happen? 😆 

On 10/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, BullBuchanan said:

Bar Bill are some of the best wings int he country. It's impossible for anything to be 100% better than them.

Nine-Eleven Tavern is better.  Yeah, for ShitsAndGiggles let's say 100% better. 😆 

That doesn't make Bar-Bill bad though...

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Never been to Schwabl's but I'm partial to Adrian's on Grand Island for my favorite Beef on Weck.  But I hear there's a place in Olean that has some Killer BoW!

Forgot to come back here and post this but I went to the Olean spot a few weeks ago....Beef N Barrel and absolutely lived up to the hype.  My new favorite place for Beef on weck.  Just sucks it's so far away from where I live lol.  

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It’s not on their menu. 

Just because it's not on menu... Doesn't mean you can't get it. 

Anyway... It's there. On menu. Page 2. On weck...

https://m.zmenu.com/wiechecs-lounge-buffalo-online-menu/

Also... French dip is listed separately. 

Is a bourgeoisie outsider, really gonna debate this? 😆 🤣 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:50 PM, Draconator said:

Barbill is solid, but dont get the hype, I'll try the other when i get a chance

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back here with 2 of my step kids in for Thanksgiving. I had the honey mustard wings. Amazing. The thing I noticed is the waffle fries were absolutely the best I ever had. Our waiter was one of the owners. He told me BarBill fries everything in the same fryers they use for wings, so everything tastes like wings. They made the decision here for a couple of fryers for wings, one for fries, one for chicken, etc. And it shows. Just very, very good food.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, Preds said:

I'm one of the few WNY'ers who actually really dislikes Bar Bills "wings".  I think they suck and hate their sauces.  Give me Gabriel's Gate or Duff's in Orchard Park or on Sheridan, and maybe Dick Road (the other Duff's locations suck) any day over Bar Bill. 

However, I do love Bar Bill for their Beef on Weck which is by far the best I've had and a pretty consistent sandwich every time we stop in.  Has anyone tried the Beef on Weck at Main & Hamlin yet?

On 10/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, Preds said:

I'm one of the few WNY'ers who actually really dislikes Bar Bills "wings".  I think they suck and hate their sauces.  Give me Gabriel's Gate or Duff's in Orchard Park or on Sheridan, and maybe Dick Road (the other Duff's locations suck) any day over Bar Bill. 

However, I do love Bar Bill for their Beef on Weck which is by far the best I've had and a pretty consistent sandwich every time we stop in.  Has anyone tried the Beef on Weck at Main & Hamlin yet?

My puke emoji was for your compliment for the OP Duffs, where I had the worst wings I have ever experienced. 

• 1 month later...

Was able to get out and go to Main and Hamlin last night. A work friend of mine strongly recommended their Beef on Weck. So that's what I got. 

Schwabl's is considered the standard in some circles for Beef and Weck. Main and Hamlin's Beef on Weck blows Schwabl's out of the water. It was the best Beef on Weck I have ever had, period. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2023 at 7:53 PM, NickelCity said:

I'm here for a wing war thread. They're usually rife with good recommendations. 

Speaking of, what's tbd's favorite blue cheese?

Marie's

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Was able to get out and go to Main and Hamlin last night. A work friend of mine strongly recommended their Beef on Weck. So that's what I got. 

Schwabl's is considered the standard in some circles for Beef and Weck. Main and Hamlin's Beef on Weck blows Schwabl's out of the water. It was the best Beef on Weck I have ever had, period. 

Kelly's Korner in North Buffalo is pretty good Beef on Weck too. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:42 PM, Draconator said:

Back here with 2 of my step kids in for Thanksgiving. I had the honey mustard wings. Amazing. The thing I noticed is the waffle fries were absolutely the best I ever had. Our waiter was one of the owners. He told me BarBill fries everything in the same fryers they use for wings, so everything tastes like wings. They made the decision here for a couple of fryers for wings, one for fries, one for chicken, etc. And it shows. Just very, very good food.

More restaurants need to understand this. Can’t stand going to places and everything tastes like fish because they use the fryer to cook fish. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/18/2024 at 3:01 PM, That's No Moon said:

Rooties

Ohhh, wait a minute! Did that close in the Fall? I don’t readily see much about it on-line, but I think I spent many a Friday night there when my summer job was nearby. I saw Stahl Rd which is in the general area I thought it was, but it’s kinda fuzzy. Just a little roadside joint.  

I had a job working with aluminum and had to pick up every tiny scrap. I’d collect all the trash, then on Fridays take it to some recycle place where we got $0.22/lb. That was split 3 ways and it was our beer money for the weekend, starting at Rooties.  🍺 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:40 AM, Draconator said:

It must have had gravy! 😆 😉 

👍 

😏 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Ohhh, wait a minute! Did that close in the Fall? I don’t readily see much about it on-line, but I think I spent many a Friday night there when my summer job was nearby. I saw Stahl Rd which is in the general area I thought it was, but it’s kinda fuzzy. Just a little roadside joint.  

I had a job working with aluminum and had to pick up every tiny scrap. I’d collect all the trash, then on Fridays take it to some recycle place where we got $0.22/lb. That was split 3 ways and it was our beer money for the weekend, starting at Rooties.  🍺 

Rootie's closed maybe 15 years ago, but their bleu cheese is still sold locally.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Rootie's closed maybe 15 years ago, but their bleu cheese is still sold locally.

Thanks, I found enough to confirm it’s the place my mind recalled as Rudy’s Tap Room. Hey, it was a drinking location four decades ago. That’s not TOO bad! 

But please don’t ask me what I had for lunch yesterday…….  😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Thanks, I found enough to confirm it’s the place my mind recalled as Rudy’s Tap Room. Hey, it was a drinking location four decades ago. That’s not TOO bad! 

But please don’t ask me what I had for lunch yesterday…….  😋

I just checked - they closed in 2003.  The place was known as Rootie's Pump Room, but it was on Stahl Road....it has to be the same place you're thinking of!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.