Did Bills staff get Adams pulled for concussion symptoms after the Rapp penalty?

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

I doubt it was malicious, the game was already long over at that point and they were potentially saving him from himself as the rule is meant to do.

I agree.  Either that or he was just upset about the hit.  Anyway, with the game long over, maybe he should have been on the sidelines already instead of trying to pad his stats in garbage time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

In the stadium it looked like the coaching staff was pointing him out to officials and then Adams gestured angrily to the Bills sideline. He threw his helmet before going into the tent.

They never showed the hit on the stadium replay. 

There's an independent consultant or something, perhaps they were on the bills sideline?  

• Like (+1) 2

The UNC (stands for something like unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant) is who pulls players off the field to the tent. I don't believe they can be influenced by a team.

I'm sure after all the shade they got last year for not pulling Tua, etc makes them more likely to pull a player.

Not sure why adams was barking but I would be shocked if bills personnel effected that visit to the blue tent in any way

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Allen takes multiple helmet to helmet hits per game and nothing is ever done.....

It's not about helmet to helmet hits. It's about the player being visibly impaired after a hit, ie wobbling, stumbling, shaking head (shaking it off), etc.

It's true they pay attention to those hits, but if a player doesn't exhibit symptoms of a brain injury they are not pulled.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

It's not about helmet to helmet hits. It's about the player being visibly impaired after a hit, ie wobbling, stumbling, shaking head (shaking it off), etc.

It's true they pay attention to those hits, but if a player doesn't exhibit symptoms of a brain injury they are not pulled.

Glad the criteria ain't picks after a hit! 

😉 

• Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If anything, the UNC from the Bills sideline may have said something.   If it hadn’t been an issue, they wouldn’t have taken him to the locker room.  For all the things I’m not a fan of in the NFL from a rule standpoint, this is one that actually makes sense.  You could see he needed to be checked and they in fact found something. 

Rapp really popped him, that was a tough hit, probably going to be fined for it.   I’m a little surprised with the game clearly out of hand, the Raiders would risk their guys like that, and unfortunately, here we are.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Wasn't Kincaid hit by a Raider DB that launched himself at Kincaid on incomplete pass sometime in the 1st half?...Dont believe a flag was even thrown on the play.

Yes he was and the announcer even asked why a flag wasn't thrown.

Also did anyone else think it was stupid for Adams to be playing on that last Raider drive?  I mean the game is over so why are you throwing the ball to your best offensive player over the middle of the field?

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Prediction: Rapp gets suspended a game, while Kareem Jackson gets a fine and "time served" after this one.

Jackson should get at least a 2 game suspension. I'm ok with Rapp getting sit for a game. It's the right thing to do. These plays need to be costly, to take them out of the game. If the NFL really cares about player safety, they wouldn't stop with the joke of a fine.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bills by themselves can't do a thing.  The independent neurological consultant makes the call.

Yes and no. The INC makes the call if he needs to be checked for a concussion. This is true.

However, rules state that if gameplay is stopped due to potential injury, that player must come out for at least 1 play. I believe if the Bills were saying he had to come off it was due to enforcing that rule moreso than anything.

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

The UNC (stands for something like unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant) is who pulls players off the field to the tent. I don't believe they can be influenced by a team.

I'm sure after all the shade they got last year for not pulling Tua, etc makes them more likely to pull a player.

Not sure why adams was barking but I would be shocked if bills personnel effected that visit to the blue tent in any way

Cant be influenced by a team is a poor phrasing. 

they certainly could miss something that a team points out, and likewise have to deal with the court of public opinion if a teams pointing it out and they don’t act. 

the bills don’t get to make the call but they absolutely can influence the odds of it happening 

35 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Wasn't Kincaid hit by a Raider DB that launched himself at Kincaid on incomplete pass sometime in the 1st half?...Dont believe a flag was even thrown on the play.

Agree. He was clearly a defenseless receiver and they didn't call it. 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes and no. The INC makes the call if he needs to be checked for a concussion. This is true.

However, rules state that if gameplay is stopped due to potential injury, that player must come out for at least 1 play. I believe if the Bills were saying he had to come off it was due to enforcing that rule moreso than anything.

Oh maybe that was it. Though was the game stopped for potential injury or was it for the penalty being announced?

I also thought the refs can pull guys for concussion symptoms too, and the independent neuro guy was in addition to the refs.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree. He was clearly a defenseless receiver and they didn't call it. 

Oh maybe that was it. Though was the game stopped for potential injury or was it for the penalty being announced?

I also thought the refs can pull guys for concussion symptoms too, and the independent neuro guy was in addition to the refs.

The replay/official that buzzes officials to stop play is on thr Bills sideline, light blue attire.

He buzzed to the official, and from my seat I could see him pointing to his head.  

So yes, Ind Neuro buzzed down for Adams to be evaluated after that hit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Jackson should get at least a 2 game suspension. I'm ok with Rapp getting sit for a game. It's the right thing to do. These plays need to be costly, to take them out of the game. If the NFL really cares about player safety, they wouldn't stop with the joke of a fine.

I’m not trying to stir things up with you but the NFL game is 100% safer than it was 10 years ago when it comes to all player safety.

Just how much aggression do you want removed from the game? Players start losing game checks and you’ll start seeing even softer defensive play in an already offensive friendly league.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

The replay/official that buzzes officials to stop play is on thr Bills sideline, light blue attire.

He buzzed to the official, and from my seat I could see him pointing to his head.  

So yes, Ind Neuro buzzed down for Adams to be evaluated after that hit.

Ah. Makes sense 

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’m not trying to stir things up with you but the NFL game is 100% safer than it was 10 years ago when it comes to all player safety.

Just how much aggression do you want removed from the game? Players start losing game checks and you’ll start seeing even softer defensive play in an already offensive friendly league.

I dont want unnecessary hits to the head. The Logan Thomas hit was awful. The DB launched upwards at his head when he could have just hit him in the chest.

What did you think of the shot Allen took to the head when he was already down? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

In the stadium it looked like the coaching staff was pointing him out to officials and then Adams gestured angrily to the Bills sideline. He threw his helmet before going into the tent.

They never showed the hit on the stadium replay. 

That would be a huge failure of the protocol if it was the Bills coaching staff.   With an unaffiliated neurological consultant up in the booth watching plays and medical professionals on both sidelines, should not be coaches pointing these things out.

Edit: confirmed that it wasn't Bills coaches, was officials acting on spotting from UNC.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ah. Makes sense 

I dont want unnecessary hits to the head. The Logan Thomas hit was awful. The DB launched upwards at his head when he could have just hit him in the chest.

What did you think of the shot Allen took to the head when he was already down? 

It’s not what I think about the legality of any of the hits. It’s when they start taking game checks away from players you’ll see a lot less aggressive defensive play in a league that is already offensive friendly.

Again, players safety is a hell of a lot better than it ever has been. To expect completely clean plays in  a fast, aggressive contact sport is a bit of wishful thinking. 

I’m fine with the way the NFL has been handling these issues and hope they don’t become even heavier handed in their discipline.

• Dislike 1

Agreed that D Adams should not have been on the field at that point.

But Taylor Rapp needs to learn to hold his water.

I get that he doesn't get a lot of snaps and wants to do something with the ones he does get, but you need to be game aware and respect other people no matter what jersey they're wearing. That game was for all intents and purposes over at that point and there is no need to be out there trying to murder people when you're just running out the clock. Who gives a damn if he catches that ball at that point, it's not going to affect the game one way or the other; just give him a tap on the hat on the way by to ensure he's down by contact and move on to the next play. Going for killshots like that can literally mess with people's lives, and there's no need for it at that point in a game that is all but over.

I hope Rapp gives Adams a call this week, checks up on him and apologizes for getting caught up in the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

I thought the hit on Kincaid was close to being a penalty, but ultimately a good no-call. 

Kincaid was a defenseless receiver, but the hitter did not 1) Launch himself 2) Lead with the crown or 3) Make forcible contact to neck/head area

Rapp's hit was clearly forcible contact to the head of a defeneseless receiver. Good call and I would expect at least a fine for him. Putting him into protocol should be up to the Raiders and their independent neuro consultant. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Also did anyone else think it was stupid for Adams to be playing on that last Raider drive?  I mean the game is over so why are you throwing the ball to your best offensive player over the middle of the field?

We all know why.  Dollar, dollar bills, y'all.

Adams knew as well as anyone that the Bills' second-string unit was out there and that teams up big tend to play softer in garbage time.  He thought he was going to eat.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

The hits to the head are avoidable. No reason to ever leave your feet and launch towards a player with your helmet. I'm fine with game check and team consequences. Proper tackling is to aim for the midsection, not the players head!

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes he was and the announcer even asked why a flag wasn't thrown.

Could have some escalators in his contract and garbage time helps hit those thresholds.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

In the past leaving that decision to the concussed player to signal that he needed to come off the field, or a biased team staff was fundamentally dumb.

The NFL took a lot of heat last season for how Miami handled Tua and for good reason.

They have taken some steps in the right direction.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.