Terry Pegula is ALLEGED to have said something very foul in the Jim Trotter lawsuit against the NFL

Roundybout

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sounds like there were others in the meeting so should be easy to confirm either way

To me, this reads as though Trotter was in the room when Pegula alledgedly said the comment so 'heard' it first hand?

ETA: No, I'm incorrect. It was a NFL Media meeting, the reporter "quoted" Pegula and Trotter then asked what was to be done.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

My exact reaction. Had to google him, apparently he's a sports journalist with a penchant for calling out racial discrimination. 

I'd like to read his full lawsuit and not just one screengrab on twitter. Does Trotter claim Terry said this to him directly ? Or is it just hearsay ? 

Seems like just another rabble rouser in an overly litigious , hyper sensitive  environment at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As an aside this lawsuit reads like a laundry list of anything he could dig up in recent history … real or alleged. 

also… 8/32 GMs are black and that signifies racism? That over indexes the population by 2x. 

Also the named nfl executives seem to demonstrate diversity.

deconstructing his thesis, it sounds something like the % make up of ownership, front offices, etc should be the same proportionate to the locker room- if not discriminatory. 

In a league where I believe 75% of the players are black, it’s a different balance. 

let’s not act like all these executives and coaches have worked their way up the system on their own. They have buddies or dads who give them their start.   There is definitely have a problem with minority representation at the higher levels. 

Personally, I think nepotism and cronyism is the main reasons but where in the world does 75% of the population get such low representation?

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

To me, this reads as though Trotter was in the room when Pegula alledgedly said the comment so 'heard' it first hand?

that was my take. Big zoom meeting with owners and media. Trotter was there and named others that were there.

interesting tidbit, the pretended to freeze comment might be a built in excuse if nobody corroborates… oh I guess some folks feed froze and they didn’t hear it. 

Edit…. Nope I was wrong the source an unnamed nfl reporter in a meeting trotter was in. So who is the nfl reporter?? Or did trotter forget that part…

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

When I read it again, it sounds like he was told this by someone who had the conversation with Terry

Ah yes, you're right, sorry. A meeting was being held between NFL Media reporters, the reporter brought up the comment and Trotter asked what was to be done.

Okay. Please forgive any voice to text errors as I am driving back from my trip for the game. But the more detailed information completely changes things. Essentially, Jim took up offense because of something that was supposedly said, and there definitely wouldn't be a recording because the supposed comment occurred in a private conversation between Terry and an unnamed NFL Media reporter. It's third-hand information and a non-starter. Trotter has an ax to grind. Go Bills.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I ant ßee Terry saying it.  I also don't believe Terry is a racist.  Racists typically don't marry a person they would consider to be of a inferior race and then have inferior offspring with that spouse.  And yes one of his daughters did date Jason Croom a black player.  Racists also typically will raise their offspring to hold similar views so that also kinda decreases the likelihood that Terry is a closet racist.  

I think this trotter guy thought he had a sure fire way to get promoted to becoming the newsroom manager and he play the race card because that was easier than actually earning a position he coveted.  

Inferior race????

you can’t be racist if you marry someone of a different race?

there are some wild thoughts in this thread haha. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that was my take. Big zoom meeting with owners and media. Trotter was there and named others that were there.

interesting tidbit, the pretended to freeze comment might be a built in excuse if nobody corroborates… oh I guess some folks feed froze and they didn’t hear it. 

No, I think  I'm wrong. Pegula wasn't present for the meeting where Trotter heard about this. A NFL reporter accused Pegula of saying this during a NFL Media Reporter meeting, at which point Trotter asked what was to be done. But then the question is where and when did he say it plus were there witnesses. Interesting the original reporter is seemingly being kept anonymous at this stage.

Edited by UKBillFan

9 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I ant ßee Terry saying it.  I also don't believe Terry is a racist.  Racists typically don't marry a person they would consider to be of a inferior race and then have inferior offspring with that spouse.  And yes one of his daughters did date Jason Croom a black player.  Racists also typically will raise their offspring to hold similar views so that also kinda decreases the likelihood that Terry is a closet racist.  

I think this trotter guy thought he had a sure fire way to get promoted to becoming the newsroom manager and he play the race card because that was easier than actually earning a position he coveted.  

He didn't tell the players to go back to Korea....

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Okay, so this is third-hand information? That definitely changes things.

It was not 3rd hand. He said it to a group of reporters. He was in the room. He spoke up according to the complaint. It going to be tough to refute if it happened in a group setting. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

Pegula released a statement denying he ever said it. He has no history of this sort of thing (and actually seems to have inclusive stuff/programs through the Bills and Sabres), so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt without more evidence.

We can give him the benefit of the doubt all we want, but the national NFL media is going to run with this. Florio probably had a copy of this for weeks. It explains his preseason picks.

I am surprised to see people comment in this thread that they have no idea who Jim Trotter is.

He has been a very successful and award winning football writer and reporter for a long time.

He is highly respected in the industry and outside of it.

Trotter is a smart man and I'd be quite surprised he would reference it without  triple checking his sources. Throughout his career Trotter has proven to be credible.

As a Bills fan, of course I'm hoping Pegula didn't make the comment or has been misquoted.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

you don't have to dislike black people to be racist. How is it anything other than hateful? He's combining two forms of hate at the same time - classism and racism. He's telling employees they should be grateful to be in his employ and if they don't like it, go back to an ancestral country where they were forced to leave.

What do you think racism is?

Context matters and I don’t think the comment was made to be racist. I think it was a dumb out of touch comment.

Racism to me is thinking you’re superior based on the color of your skin.

Some people actually believe blacks settled in America. That’s why the term African American is offensive to many. I don’t think it’s a form of racism. I think it’s a form of ignorance and stupidity. Very wealthy and successful people can be ignorant.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, blitzboy54 said:

It was not 3rd hand. He said it to a group of reporters. He was in the room. He spoke up according to the complaint. It going to be tough to refute if it happened in a group setting. 

Was this allegedly recent ? Can’t imagine this getting past a group of reporters today. It would be public knowledge in less than a minute. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

In a league where I believe 75% of the players are black, it’s a different balance. 

let’s not act like all these executives and coaches have worked their way up the system on their own. They have buddies or dads who give them their start.   There is definitely have a problem with minority representation at the higher levels. 

Personally, I think nepotism and cronyism is the main reasons but where in the world does 75% of the population get such low representation?

NFL Players, GM’s coaches and owners typically have completely different populations that they originate from. 

Something like half% of nhl players are Canadian… are half of the nhl owners? 

1 minute ago, blitzboy54 said:

The reporter brought up the alleged conversation at the meeting, Terry didnt say this at the meeting 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

We can give him the benefit of the doubt all we want, but the national NFL media is going to run with this. Florio probably had a copy of this for weeks. It explains his preseason picks.

No way this stayed under wraps for weeks . Seems like bs 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Was this allegedly recent ? Can’t imagine this getting past a group of reporters today. It would be public knowledge in less than a minute. 

He says that it was said in a meeting with owners and the NFL Media. That means that any reporter on that Zoom call was an employee of the league. He argues that they swept it under the rug.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, I'm not vouching for anything either way but I just read the complaint end to end and that's what the details say. If others back him up it will be tough for him to say he was misquoted. On the other hand if nobody backs him the opposite could be true.

• Like (+1) 1

Pegula has already issued a statement stating that the allegation is false.  Deadspin also reported what the Bills put out after the Floyd conviction that was plainly sympathetic to the conviction and the need to end racism. 

Plaintiffs' lawyers need to sensationalize.  The quote attributed to Pegula is so ham-handed and stereotypical of alleged racist statements, that it is incredible IMO. I mean, it is too crude and stupid to believe he would say something that crude and stupid in any setting.

I would not rush to condemn anyone based on this complaint.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Well, one person is saying something in what appears to be a sworn statement. The other over social media. I know which avenue holds more merit. Do you? 

A sworn statement that someone else (for all we know is anonymous) told him Pegula said something? Yeah lots of weight 🙄.

132. Thus, in response to an allegation by an employee (the reporter) and complaint by another employee (Mr. Trotter) that an NFL owner (an employer) made racist remarks that ridiculed Black players (also employees) for their social activism, the NFL did absolutely nothing

https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Trotter-Complaint.pdf

Edited by What a Tuel

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trotter heard the allegation from another NFL media reporter on a Zoom call in September 2020, about a conversation alleged to have taken place some time before that, probably summer 2020 considering it was in regards to Black Lives Matter.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sounds like there were others in the meeting so should be easy to confirm either way

That is what I thought at first. But re-reading it, I think they are claiming that the comment was said to one reporter and that reporter repeated it on the zoom meeting.

• Agree 2

Just now, blitzboy54 said:

Yeah, I'm not vouching for anything either way but I just read the complaint end to end and that's what the details say. If others back him up it will be tough for him to say he was misquoted. On the other hand if nobody backs him the opposite could be true.

We’ll see soon enough.

4 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

No he didn't. A reporter quoted the 'comment' to the room, it wasn't Pegula himself.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

NFL Players, GM’s coaches and owners typically have completely different populations that they originate from. 

Something like half% of nhl players are Canadian… are half of the nhl owners? 

Why didn’t you use GMs/ coaches to make your point? 

are you saying the only way to get more minority representation is to own a team? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.