What a great place to come and talk football

Shaw66

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I just wanted to say that this really is a great place for Bills fans to come and talk football from our perspective.   A lot of people come here and share ideas about various things, and that's a nice opportunity for all of us. 

Take a look at the topics on the first page:  Not a lot about the talents, the pluses and minuses of the position players because, well, it's all been said.  Now, everyone is just ready for things to get going.   In the meantime, lets talk about how the Cowboys are ruining football, Chad Kelly's contract, why someone is optimistic or pessimistic.  It's something to talk about while we're waiting, and pretty much all of us can find something interesting in one or another these topics.  

In a sense, it's as though we've all been through preseason and now we're ready.  There's nothing left other than wait.   We're the nervous guys in the landing craft, ready to go ashore on D-Day.  Just idle chatter before the battle.  They did it for real; remarkable courage, and I don't mean to demean them at all.  It's just that we have a similar feeling, trivial by comparison, but similar nonetheless.  

This forum provides that idle chatter nicely. 

It's like the neighborhood tavern.  Virtually.  

Be grateful.

Good perspective

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm just so ready for this season to begin.  Anxious.  

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that the NFL season no longer starts on Labor Day weekend?  Makes no sense whatsoever... 

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 2

Just now, notwoz said:

Anxious being the key word.

No idea what to expect.  This team could be on top of the league, to open the season or to end it.  Given how competitive the league is, it could miss the playoffs (but I don't expect that).   

I no longer believe I actually have any ability to foresee what's coming.  Just going to live it as it happens.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

No idea what to expect.  This team could be on top of the league, to open the season or to end it.  Given how competitive the league is, it could miss the playoffs (but I don't expect that).   

I no longer believe I actually have any ability to foresee what's coming.  Just going to live it as it happens.  

That's the way I felt during the Super Bowl years. I'll just ride the bus until the wheels fall off!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that the NFL season does not still start on Labor Day weekend?  Makes no sense whatsoever... 

I know one person who DOESN'T think NFL football on Labor Day weekend would be a good thing:   The guy who runs the NCAA.  If you're like me, you're football starved, waiting for the NFL, and you watched about eight hours of college football this weekend because that's all there was.   In the process, the announcers told me about all the good teams, the good matchups, etc.  The result will be that might get me to watch a few games.   If the NFL had been on, I wouldn't have seen Coach Prime.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I know one person who DOESN'T think NFL football on Labor Day weekend would be a good thing:   The guy who runs the NCAA.  If you're like me, you're football starved, waiting for the NFL, and you watched about eight hours of college football this weekend because that's all there was.   In the process, the announcers told me about all the good teams, the good matchups, etc.  The result will be that might get me to watch a few games.   If the NFL had been on, I wouldn't have seen Coach Prime.  

The first week of NCAA football is garbage, except for a few games between good teams, like TCU-Colorado.  (I suspect Colorado isn't going to catch anyone else unawares this year, by the way.)  Most of what we get is Cupcake U showing up at a Power Five school for a payday and boring beatdown.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Anyone else think it's ridiculous that the NFL season no longer starts on Labor Day weekend?  Makes no sense whatsoever... 

Agree. Nonsense. They are squeezing the rest of the ever expanding NFL year into gaps it doesn't fit in and yet this weekend seems to be sacred. You wouldn't need to move anything else, just get rid of this strange pre-season bye week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Nonsense. They are squeezing the rest of the ever expanding NFL year into gaps it doesn't fit in and yet this weekend seems to be sacred. You wouldn't need to move anything else, just get rid of this strange pre-season bye week.

Not only that, they're adding games deep into January, when weather conditions in places like Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and New England are likely to be marginal, at best.  Absolutely no reason not to be playing this weekend...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There was a thread about it recently, but I'll reiterate what I think makes it this forum so great:

Great posters, great posts, frequency of posts, variety of discussion topics, and great moderation.

Combine all that -- and throw in a clean, easily navigable interface that doesn't hurt the eyes to look at and isn't cluttered up with pinned threads and other nonsense -- and you have the best NFL discussion forum on the internet.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

We really should appreciate how good this message board is compared to most other teams' boards. They are either inactive or toxic because they don't have any mods. 

I was annoyed that the official Bills message board was shut down years ago (thanks Russ Brandon), but this one is a great place to talk to fellow Bills fans.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I generally agree with this - except the bolded. I expect the Bills to be a formidable/competitive team week in and week out. Injuries and unforeseen circumstances notwithstanding (see last season) I don't expect to go into any game thinking we'll be lucky/fortunate to come out with a W.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Earlier today, I took down my Mets flag and hoisted the Bills flag. 

I am ready!

LOL - my Mets/Bills coffee mugs are in the midst of the transition. Same with the hats

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I generally agree with this - except the bolded. I expect the Bills to be a formidable/competitive team week in and week out. Injuries and unforeseen circumstances notwithstanding (see last season) I don't expect to go into any game thinking we'll be lucky/fortunate to come out with a W.

LOL - my Mets/Bills coffee mugs are in the midst of the transition. Same with the hats

I was in New Hampshire Thursday - Saturday and wore some sort of Bills gear each day/night. 

A few Go Bills! And a couple “you should burn that.” 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was in New Hampshire Thursday - Saturday and wore some sort of Bills gear each day/night. 

A few Go Bills! And a couple “you should burn that.” 😂

I was in the park last week wearing a Bills shirt and as I go by the tennis courts a guy asks me “Are they gonna win the Super Bowl this year?” I paused and responded “history would say no.”  He was still giggling as I walked away. 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was in the park last week wearing a Bills shirt and as I go by the tennis courts a guy asks me “Are they gonna win the Super Bowl this year?” I paused and responded “history would say no.”  He was still giggling as I walked away. 

A few years ago I had my Bills hat on at the butcher and the guy behind the counter asked me who would be better: Sam or Josh (I live in Jet/Giant country).  I went with Josh - even though by many accounts Sam projected to be better. Now when I walk in with my Bills hat on my head is held a little higher. Looking forward to the day when folks see my Bills gear and don't think of the 4 straight.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I just wanted to say that this really is a great place for Bills fans to come and talk football from our perspective.   A lot of people come here and share ideas about various things, and that's a nice opportunity for all of us. 

Take a look at the topics on the first page:  Not a lot about the talents, the pluses and minuses of the position players because, well, it's all been said.  Now, everyone is just ready for things to get going.   In the meantime, lets talk about how the Cowboys are ruining football, Chad Kelly's contract, why someone is optimistic or pessimistic.  It's something to talk about while we're waiting, and pretty much all of us can find something interesting in one or another these topics.  

In a sense, it's as though we've all been through preseason and now we're ready.  There's nothing left other than wait.   We're the nervous guys in the landing craft, ready to go ashore on D-Day.  Just idle chatter before the battle.  They did it for real; remarkable courage, and I don't mean to demean them at all.  It's just that we have a similar feeling, trivial by comparison, but similar nonetheless.  

This forum provides that idle chatter nicely. 

It's like the neighborhood tavern.  Virtually.  

Be grateful.

And we have to wait one more day on the regular season plate...The anticipation for the MNF game would be telling. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was in Orlando last week scouting out locations for my daughter’s wedding, and my wife and I spent 2-3 days at Disney.  I made her a friendly bet I’d get 20 people to tell me “Go Bills!” When wearing my Bills hat and T shirts.  I closed at 29.  One guy with Disney told me no other team generates that kind of response.

What a great fan base!  Go Bills!  The Mafia is strong!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.