Von to start season on PUP list

Big Blitz

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If this veteran team can’t hold it together to start the season because Von is out they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs imo 

The games are important but they’ve invested as heavy if not heavier than anyone else in the league on the D line over the years. They should be able to play at a high enough level 

The conferences......and some of the divisions.......are heavily imbalanced.   Not implausible that multiple teams with losing records make the playoffs this year while an 11 win team does not.  One thing is fairly certain.......some of the divisions are going to be true battles.    The AFC East perhaps the toughest.   So "deserve" may be a relative term with regard to making the playoffs.   11-6 might not get it done if that includes a .500 or worse record in division or conference.

• Like (+1) 2

This was always the expectation. This is the info I posted on August 8, I got this from my usual source:

Von Miller apparently has a grade 2 strain (tear) to his upper left leg (not the same leg as his ACL tear).

This was described to me as a "compensation injury," i.e. he likely injured it because of overcompensating for the opposite leg of the ACL tear.

I was told it will put him back "a little bit, not months." My source says this almost certainly rules out a week 1 return but week 6 is still potentially in play. Most likely scenario is he will be put on PUP to start the season and the treatment will just be general rest and rehab to the affected area.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Von Miller is a relentlessly optimistic person. He is far more optimistic than he is realistic.

Anyone who still gives credence to his predictions and proclamations -- whether it be his own returns from injuries or the Bills' signing of players -- is setting themselves up for disappointment.

and anyone who says "we need him in December/January - not September/October" is setting themselves up for disappointment.

We need him for ALL the games. That's why we went out and spent big $ for him. Needing him in December assumes we are in it in December. I hope we are....

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was always the expectation. This is the info I posted on August 8, I got this from my usual source:

WGR has been saying this too since day 1.

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

and anyone who says "we need him in December/January - not September/October" is setting themselves up for disappointment.

We need him for ALL the games. That's why we went out and spent big $ for him. Needing him in December assumes we are in it in December. I hope we are....

Of course, the team would want him for ALL games.  Reality is he had an ACL.  Right now, I'm hoping he is back for game 6.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

You can get by the Raiders and Commanders without him. You can beat the Dolphins at home too. I don't want him playing on the Jets field anyway so this is expected and preferred. I would be fine with him sitting out in London too. 

This is also where Floyd steps up. You're in a better place than you were last year. 

Make sure he's fully healthy and up to speed in January and ride him to the Super Bowl

I think MetLife got new turf, I wish he was playing against the Jets since they could be better than in the past. Rogers > Wilson and we lost to them last year 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Of course, the team would want him for ALL games.  Reality is he had an ACL.  Right now, I'm hoping he is back for game 6.

This should surprise no one and was always the realistic scenario to anyone paying attention. A lot of whining on the board lately. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

As a Buffalo Bills fan this is disappointing news Von Miller is going to miss 2 important AFC East games the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins in the first 4 games that is huge loss that I wasn’t expecting in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Not sure why you weren't expecting him to miss those games. I think most people were expecting him to, but hoping he would be ready week 1.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Von Miller is a relentlessly optimistic person. He is far more optimistic than he is realistic.

Anyone who still gives credence to his predictions and proclamations -- whether it be his own returns from injuries or the Bills' signing of players -- is setting themselves up for disappointment.

He is making a lot of money and his mouth has been a detriment to the team…..albeit only a slight one.  He should probably just not talk.

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He is making a lot of money and his mouth has been a detriment to the team…..albeit only a slight one.  He should probably just not talk.

I don't agree with that at all.

I'd be curious to know what instances you can cite that lead you to that conclusion.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't agree with that at all.

I'd be curious to know what instances you can cite that lead you to that conclusion.

Use your name.

Slight detriment:  Getting the fan base spun up about impending signings of guys like Beckham, an impending return against the Janet’s, a week one 2023 return, or other similar “optimistic” talents cannot set up any exceeding of expectations.  Only disappointment of the fan base can ensue.  This put unnecessary pressure…..albeit slight…..on the rest of the organization.  That is why most professionals keep their mouths shut.  No upside versus small downside cannot be a winning bet ever.  Miller constantly makes that losing bet.  It’s not that big a deal as Beane and McDermott can handle it, but it’s completely unnecessary.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Use your name.

Slight detriment:  Getting the fan base spun up about impending signings of guys like Beckham, an impending return against the Janet’s, a week one 2023 return, or other similar “optimistic” talents cannot set up any exceeding of expectations.  Only disappointment of the fan base can ensue.  This put unnecessary pressure…..albeit slight…..on the rest of the organization.  That is why most professionals keep their mouths shut.  No upside versus small downside cannot be a winning bet ever.  Miller constantly makes that losing bet.  It’s not that big a deal as Beane and McDermott can handle it, but it’s completely unnecessary.

Using logic would not have led me to the conclusion that you reached.

Fans being disappointed because the optimism of a player failed to reach fruition is not the same as said players' words/actions being a "detriment to the team". I think you're reaching.

If anything, I think having a player with boundless optimism and a great attitude are a net POSITIVE to the team but, at the very least, I don't view it as a negative, and certainly not a detriment.

Agree to disagree.

I’ve started popping Xanax before I come read this board.

Week 6 was always the logical return date, and that’s AHEAD of schedule. 

I’m sure Basham will take up the slack (oh wait….)

Floyd/Rousseau is a good starting DE pair to start the season. I think Floyd is going to surprise a lot of people. McD wasn’t going to unleash him in the pre season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This is going to be this guy's whole career here. He'll play a small handful of games a season and we just have to hope his injuries don't coincide with playoff time. We can't go into a season thinking we'll get a big contribution from him. 

Agreed. Hopefully he contributes something down the stretch this season and remains a serviceable/rotational pass rusher next season. He'll then be cut. Throwing money at and relying on these vets is a necessary evil since Beane's early picks don't develop. It's a recipe for cap issues and higher risk of injuries.

8 hours ago, Metal Man said:

I get the sentiment but wins in September and October count too and saving someone for the playoffs won't matter much if they don't even qualify.

Hopefully it works out and the DEs can hold down the fort until he is ready to go but just assuming that will be the case is also risky.

So many fans always want to wait a 'few more week's' regardless of the time frame. It could be a 2 year injury and fans will want the team to 'be safe' and wait a few more weeks. It's annoying. If and when a player is healthy , they should play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.