If you were the #1 overall draft prospect as a Junior

Royale with Cheese

And the Bills are nowhere in position to get you but you've had conversations with the FO, and they'll have the capital next year to get you.

Do you stay your senior year or do you take the money early and just have to learn to not love the Bills anymore?

Do you pull an Eli Manning with the Chargers?  Elway and the Colts?

Could you, as a lifelong die hard Bills fan, could you easily adapt to playing for another team?

Keep in mind, you're the #1 overall prospect.  You're Andrew Luck/John Elway level QB prospect so you have some leverage

What do you do?

Football is the most volatile sport. If you get the chance to be the number one pick (which comes with a fairly hefty guarantee) you take it, don't look back don't hold out for another team. Just take the money and run, if you really want to play for a different team hit free agency or ask for a trade. But secure the bag while you can. 

• Like (+1) 2

You’re skills are you’re value so you leave after the Junior year as yes, if you’re in a top college so you can make marketing $ in college, but if you’re severely injured you’re out.

You sign a rookie deal and you’re guaranteed a four year guaranteed contract or at least an injury settlement.

if you’re a middling QB and one more year and you can possibly gain more experience you stay the 4th year.

For RB’s you get out asap as they look at touches and your stock falls.  My point is it depends where you believe you’ll be picked, what’s your position and what can you do to maximize your potential.  It’s not your lifelong career, but on avg. 4 year so of you’re life and maybe more if you are 100% focused.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

No never. Not even close.

You may never make that money back ever. If you really are good enough to ensure you can make it back, then you are good enough to enter the league as a junior. 

Um 1 name Von Miller - He was drafted second over all so you can never know exactly when you will be drafted but he got the money & even though he thought he was going to the Bills he didn't but is now playing for them so go get the money then after your first contract is up do what Von did .

Actually you could get a player at the first over all position & have them be like the guy taken before Von - Cam Newton & already be out of the game and basically only get a couple of really good years out of him then be done .

But then if you are a generational talent like Von you could be in the same position he is & helping teams for many years and still make the big bucks  . 

Im walking into every team meeting with my shirt off showing my Bills tattoos. Yelling hey ay ay ay ay or LETS GO BUFFALO at every question then jumping through their table. Telling them I won't show up if they draft me. Bills can sign me as an UDFA and draft someone else to help the team. If I'm projected to be the no. 1 pick I should have made enough money in college to have a decent safety net. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It partly depends on if you believe your advisors and agent.  If you believe them you leave college early but make sure you have some sort of insurance.

It depends on who the team which will pick you is and will you be able to develop on that team.

The initial 5 year contract is great but you do not want to be out of Luck (pun intended) and out of league soon.

What your position will be is not declared but likely it is QB and if so you will not be picked or traded for by Bills in next few years.

The other recent #1 picks were OT and DE with one OT chosen in last 20 years - this is position Bills would most likely draft it they could.

In THAT case I'd keep mum until after draft and if it was a team I did not want to play for (i.e. Texans, Cardinals, Browns, JEST) I'd tell team you wish to be traded before you sign contract.  Playing for those teams do not help your career.

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And the Bills are nowhere in position to get you but you've had conversations with the FO, and they'll have the capital next year to get you.

Do you stay your senior year or do you take the money early and just have to learn to not love the Bills anymore?

Do you pull an Eli Manning with the Chargers?  Elway and the Colts?

Could you, as a lifelong die hard Bills fan, could you easily adapt to playing for another team?

Keep in mind, you're the #1 overall prospect.  You're Andrew Luck/John Elway level QB prospect so you have some leverage

What do you do?

I know these kids nowadays play on teams of their choosing almost all the way up...........especially in football..........but I suspect the majority of people on TSW we're accustomed to being assigned to teams at each level of team sports thru HS and being all-in on that team.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Ask Matt Barkley how staying school worked out….

I think most pundits only had him that high... Talking heads

No scouts I knew thought he was a first round talent.. most thought 4th to 6th round

A total system quarterback

Edited by Buffalo716

23 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Im walking into every team meeting with my shirt off showing my Bills tattoos. Yelling hey ay ay ay ay or LETS GO BUFFALO at every question then jumping through their table. Telling them I won't show up if they draft me. Bills can sign me as an UDFA and draft someone else to help the team. If I'm projected to be the no. 1 pick I should have made enough money in college to have a decent safety net. 

Eli Manning said he wouldn't play for the Chargers, but they drafted him anyway, and then traded him to the Giants. I could see another team drafting this hypothetical prospect and then trading him to the Bills for as much as they can get. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.