If you were the #1 overall draft prospect as a Junior

Royale with Cheese

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bunch of unloyalty up in here.  I play for the CFL before I put on another NFL jersey.  

Will they give you a 5 year deal for $50 Mil/year? 

With that kind of money, you could pay for the PSL’s on some fine seats in the new stadium! You’ll have a home when you retire! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd come out and be the #1 pick.

I know an ex pro soccer player name Darren Bent pretty well. We are the same age and have mutual friends. He is a massive Arsenal fan has been since he was a kid. Former seaosn ticket holder. 

As a pro in his mid 20s he was scoring goals for Charlton in the Premier League and Tottenham Hotspur came in for him. Now for an Arsenal fan Tottenham are the enemy. But it was his shot at playing for a big club, he was on the fringe of the England team and he said to me he just had to put his professional head on and go to work. He made the move ultimately it didn't really work out for him but he had to put his career before his boyhood club.

Oncd you are a pro athlete that comes before fandom.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

And the Bills are nowhere in position to get you but you've had conversations with the FO, and they'll have the capital next year to get you.

Do you stay your senior year or do you take the money early and just have to learn to not love the Bills anymore?

Do you pull an Eli Manning with the Chargers?  Elway and the Colts?

Could you, as a lifelong die hard Bills fan, could you easily adapt to playing for another team?

Keep in mind, you're the #1 overall prospect.  You're Andrew Luck/John Elway level QB prospect so you have some leverage

What do you do?

Anyone who is so good they are very unlikely to fail then hey they should be able to pick and choose as their leverage permits however there's not too much in life that is a guarantee especially in a spirt as violent as football is.  

Otherwise you'd have guys with deep pockets like Pegiula with his connections to his Alma mater Pittsburgh paying the OT  there that's considered to be the top OT in next years draft to maybe have some injury and maybe fall in draft to where the Bills could draft him?   Heck why not just pay the athlete to not enter draft to pursue other interests then change their mind after drsft to sign as fa with team he wants.   Not sure how such an occurrence would be handled some kind of waiver claim??? 

Elway only had leverage çause he was a top baseball prospect as well could have played baseball if things went any way he was not ok with.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

Anyone who is so good they are very unlikely to fail then hey they should be able to pick and choose as their leverage permits however there's not too much in life that is a guarantee especially in a spirt as violent as football is.  

Otherwise you'd have guys with deep pockets like Pegiula with his connections to his Alma mater Pittsburgh paying the OT  there that's considered to be the top OT in next years draft to maybe have some injury and maybe fall in draft to where the Bills could draft him?   Heck why not just pay the athlete to not enter draft to pursue other interests then change their mind after drsft to sign as fa with team he wants.   Not sure how such an occurrence would be handled some kind of waiver claim??? 

Elway only had leverage çause he was a top baseball prospect as well could have played baseball if things went any way he was not ok with.

If a player choose to play after saying he wasn't going to and draft occurred teams could pick him with supplemental draft where whatever team offered best pick un next year would get right to sign him.

Hard to say, if the team wants you bad enough they’ll make the move to get you. If I’m in a position to make generational wealth? I’ve got to put my needs first. If all goes according to plan I have my agent find me a way to the team after I play out my rookie contract. If I’m gonna go #1 overall, I’m gonna take it.

There’s more to just being that pick- the advertising, the name recognition, the sponsorships, etc. I’d do what I had to do, and barring something unforeseen I’m gonna find my way to the Bills if they’ll have me.

I'd view that somewhat as a character concern if there was a player pigheaded enough to demand playing for a specific team and refusing to play for any other team. That's a bad way to enter the league. Maybe the Bills would skip on such a player for being such an entitled fool.

That kind of leverage is long gone.  If you're  #1, you're going to the team that owns the #1 pick...

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Will they give you a 5 year deal for $50 Mil/year? 

With that kind of money, you could pay for the PSL’s on some fine seats in the new stadium! You’ll have a home when you retire! 

That's second contract money...

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's second contract money...

Which is what you will be on one year sooner if you start playing with the big boys asap. At the back end of your career, that could be one more year at $75 MILLION DOLLARS. One more year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

I play for whoever drafts me.  

I don’t think you’ll have to worry about that.      😋

But I’m with you! Sign me up, and pray it’s not a dumpster fire of an organization. That would be a HUGE deal to me. Avoid dysfunction. It has killed careers. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd come out and be the #1 pick.

I know an ex pro soccer player name Darren Bent pretty well. We are the same age and have mutual friends. He is a massive Arsenal fan has been since he was a kid. Former seaosn ticket holder. 

As a pro in his mid 20s he was scoring goals for Charlton in the Premier League and Tottenham Hotspur came in for him. Now for an Arsenal fan Tottenham are the enemy. But it was his shot at playing for a big club, he was on the fringe of the England team and he said to me he just had to put his professional head on and go to work. He made the move ultimately it didn't really work out for him but he had to put his career before his boyhood club.

Oncd you are a pro athlete that comes before fandom.

There's zero fandom with pro athletes 

Your favorite team writes the checks 

6 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Be grateful I wasn't a running back, even though that would link me to the  Bills trading up to take me.

My worst decision was playing running back.. I was concussion deep in college 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Not one player in the NFL cares about the money

It's all about winning and lifelong friendship.

The camaraderie of the locker room and the orange slices at half time…..that is what they will cherish forever.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the voided year

I’m fine if you want to pay me three years in advance, for work I don’t have to do.  😋

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.