Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

The Defiant Ones 2023:

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

If this was anything more than a fantasy I would think they’d have made the move by now.

Beane and Peters are handcuffed to one another until they come to some sort of agreement.  Peters holds out until he is guaranteed an official 'Little People' figure.  Beane holds out until he finds another defensive lineman.

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Sorry, that argument doesn't play.  When a contract is signed, its a deal.  Upside and downside risk for each side.  Peters could have gotten hurt for the last 2 years on the contract and still got paid..  That would have been a big loss to the Bills.  Expecting a new deal becasue it worked out better because of his performance, well, that was his downside and the Bills gain.  He voided that contract w bad attitude and great dsirespect for what a contract is.  Its always "fair" at the time of signing.  It can go either way after that in terms of who benefits.  Again, he broke trust with the Bills mafia.  I have considered him w/o character since that episode.

Peters is considered a great teammate.   Kinda' guy who would literally stays after practice all the time to work with young OL.........even in his prime when he was an All Pro.   When your best offensive lineman does that.......that's the kind of stuff that helps you maintain a winning culture while changing HC's.

Imagine Dion Dawkins being like that.  Yeah right.......it's a stretch of the imagination for sure.   He can't even get himself in shape.  But fans have loved Dion until now because he kisses their asss on social media and because the Bills front office wisely doesn't try to get over on their players contractually or negotiate thru the media when they do it.   That makes even the lazy underachievers like Dion fan favorites to the dim-witted amongst the fanbase. :lol:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The fact that he hasn't signed yet tells me it's about money, not about wanting to play. If he was serious he'd be in a camp now.

or he just wants to skip camp ( see Bruce Smith )

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How is he supposed to learn the play book? At least Bruce knew it.

True but he would be brought in as depth... and he's a proven vet that can probably absorb schemes quicker than most

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The fact that he hasn't signed yet tells me it's about money, not about wanting to play. If he was serious he'd be in a camp now.

He's played for that $1.7M level the past 2 seasons  and he's made around $120M in his career.   

But you think that he is still playing for the money? :rolleyes:

You even used to complain about his durability.    Never has anyone been as wrong about a player on TSW as you have been about Peters.   You were throwing dirt on him over a decade ago.

He's a gamer.   If he is committed to playing another year at age 41 there is very little difference in preparation between signing two weeks ago or waiting until after the last preseason game and then assessing the field.   

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How is he supposed to learn the play book? At least Bruce knew it.

It would be his 19th year in the NFL and he's a coach-on-the-field level of player.   He's run every play and executed every block and worked with players of all ages and experience levels.   If guys like Kyle Orton and Matt Barkley can step in and play QB for a team with a week or 2 notice why would you even suggest that a HOF level  offensive lineman who's played twice as long as they have/had wouldn't be able to learn the play calls with a couple nights peruse of the book?   

• Like (+1) 1

This would be the story book ending.  Jason Peters comes home to where it all started for him.  He converts back to Tight End and wins the starting job from Kincaid.  He catches the game winning touchdown to win Super Bowl LVII.  Ralph rises from the grave to hand JP a huge bag of cash. Russ Brandon is publicly flogged.  All is forgiven.  

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

Bringing up stuff from a decade ago? I didn't know my wife was on TBD.

It's not from a decade ago..........it's still ongoing.........15 years of going out of his way to criticize a player who has graduated from elite talent to all pro to HOF'er.    Your wife probably has a point complaining about you........Peters has been GREAT.   The fact that Promo is still finding ways to criticize Peters rather than owning the fact that he was an idiot for buying the line of BS that Russ Brandon was selling in the first place is ridiculous(but consistent).   There is holding a grudge........and then there is holding a grudge when you were dead f*cking wrong in the first place.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This would be the story book ending.  Jason Peters comes home to where it all started for him.  He converts back to Tight End and wins the starting job from Kincaid.  He catches the game winning touchdown to win Super Bowl LVII.  Ralph rises from the grave to hand JP a huge bag of cash. Russ Brandon is publicly flogged.  All is forgiven.  

I mean... all things considered... you can do a lot worse in a tackle eligible situation.  

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

True but he would be brought in as depth... and he's a proven vet that can probably absorb schemes quicker than most

He won't be worth what you'd have to pay him as depth.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Are you still glad that the Bills traded him when they did?

Yes. Whether he was worth it or not, it was a BS me-me move he pulled after signing a new deal with the Bills.

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Eh - 41 year old non-QBs will always skip camp if they can. 

So what do you expect for your money from such a level of commitment?

1 hour ago, boyst said:

a right tackle playbook is not that crazy.

He's got to know blocking schemes, run plays, etc.  Again, if you are going to pay millions for a player, a little commitment to the job would be nice.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes. Whether he was worth it or not, it was a BS me-me move he pulled after signing a new deal with the Bills.

So what do you expect for your money from such a level of commitment?

He's got to know blocking schemes, run plays, etc.  Again, if you are going to pay millions for a player, a little commitment to the job would be nice.

A healthier player...?  

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

You forgot Ernie Parker spirit coming to Jason Peters and telling him that before Superbowl to hold out for a lifetime contract or not play.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-peters-1179/cash-earnings/

last time he made more than 2 million was in 2020 and that was because of a 3 mil siging bonus
He made 1.8 mil last year including signing bonus

Edited by ddaryl

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

last time he made more than 2 million was in 2020 and that was because of a 3 mil siging bonus

If Bills are going to sign him for depth only sign after week 1 and preferably to practice squad since he has no practice this season yet.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why are you like this?

It's an opinion. You're entitled to yours

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Likely teams are waiting for cuts (not all due to performance but cost) before breaking glass.

Plausible. You could probably find someone less expensive, younger and about as effective on the waiver wire.

44 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

What is the vet minimum for a player of his tenure now? $1.075MM? (EDIT: $1.165MM) It doesn't mean he won't hold out for a little more.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

As stated in the most recent CBA, the minimum salaries for the upcoming 2023 season are as follows:

image.thumb.png.66c5c034aaa1939be5a5943403662f56.png

There are also one year veteran deals which give cap discounts.

Most important way to save money? Not have the veterans on roster week 1.

Sportrac says $1.165MM in 2023.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/minimum/

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What is the vet minimum for a player of his tenure now? $1.075MM? It doesn't mean he won't hold out for a little more.

just look at what he was making the last 3 seasons

I think he is the best option for depth right now, but that could change after final cutdowns...

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

just look at what he was making the last 3 seasons

I think he is the best option for depth right now, but that could change after final cutdowns...

I don't agree. I think there are equally as effective options that will be cut in a few days. 

54 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't agree. I think there are equally as effective options that will be cut in a few days. 

Do you not read ????????      "but that could change after final cutdowns"

On 8/19/2023 at 9:22 AM, DJB said:

Take with a grain of salt perhaps but it’s something to talk about 

Peters should be praising the Bills for his career & what ever coaches that were on the Bills staff while he was here because if he would have stayed at the TE position which was what he was drafted as he may have never had the career he has .

Yes he had to put in the work to be the player he has been but he may have never known the player he is today if it weren't for the coach that suggested that change of position .

Does any one know what coach that was or may have been that made the suggestion to him ? 

It would be a bad thing for him to come back & end his career where he started it although i didn't like the way he left . 

22 minutes ago, T master said:

Peters should be praising the Bills for his career & what ever coaches that were on the Bills staff while he was here because if he would have stayed at the TE position which was what he was drafted as he may have never had the career he has .

Yes he had to put in the work to be the player he has been but he may have never known the player he is today if it weren't for the coach that suggested that change of position .

Does any one know what coach that was or may have been that made the suggestion to him ? 

It would be a bad thing for him to come back & end his career where he started it although i didn't like the way he left . 

I believe it was Jim (Mouse) McNally but I could be mistaken it's been a while...

On 8/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, CouldBe said:

In Peters case the change in job status warranted a change in contract, both times. If any situation caused the Ralph is cheap talk, this was the time. 

At the time there was a lot of  "do you think you know more than the Bills do" on the old message board. I admit I did think I knew more than the Bills did. I knew more than the Bills did for 17 long years.

If you lowball a player of Peters talent, then you will get a team of low talent. That is disrespect for the Bills mafia.

Peters was signed for over $3million a year, not a low ball vet min.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.