Matt Araiza is Suing Woman who Falsely Accused him

wppete

It's worth mentioning, just for the sake of humanity and empathy and all that...this person who has made these now allegedly false claims was still quite possibly exploited in some way at that party. Aiming the legal/civil allegations at the most upwardly mobile person in the "orbit" of that team and that night in question might be some opportunistic grab by that person and her legal representation, as many now are thinking...OR, it could be a trauma-informed, but maybe inaccurate, attempt to find some semblance of justice. The full truth of so many troubling incidents can be damned near impossible to ever clearly know, even sometimes for the people most directly involved. 

To think any of us here definitely knows what happened in all its complexities and nuances is foolish and revealing. But then again, I don't know much about this actual "case." I just know how elusive objective truth is to unearth much of the time. 

Still wonder if something caused the organization to cut Araiza beyond the simple existence of the accusation. Something inconsistent from him or his team that was somehow called into question after more came to light? A report I recall at the time of this emerging suggested a more group-based encounter and Araiza's defense was that he had already left the party? Does anyone else recall that phase of this saga? I guess the point is we just don't get to know for real. And knowing that, I try not to vilify either participant.  

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Here is the point I'd like to understand before I morally exonerate Araiza and the others who had sex with the girl... she was 17 at the time of the incident and there's video of the sex acts.

The age of consent in CA is 18. Why isn't this statutory rape?

BTW nice to see all the message board vigilantes out here with their clubs and ropes. So much anger at a "false accuser" as if the men involved are blameless.

Really theres not many things scarier than a false accusation.  Im fairly certain most of us men were taught at a very young age, the situations you avoid to protect yourself from something like that.

Prior to being a teen I understood clearly things like: when youre in a room full of people and a bunch of those people leave to a different room, and its just you and a girl you dont know.......... you get up and move from that room.

I certainly hope everyone here is having convos with their sons like this.  We're taught to be afraid and vigilant of this from pre-teen age, because its a scary prospect, that could include incarceration, violence from a relative/boyfriend, permanent name tarnish, and no good way to prove you didnt. OF COURSE DUDES ARE GUNNA BE ANGRY ABOUT A FALSE ACCUSATION, AS THEY SHOULD BEEEEEEE

Let's be directly clear here.  The Bills cut Araiza because the public lynched him.  I remember saying we should wait for the facts to come out, but was yelled at and told I was supporting a sexual abuser.

People jumped the gun, quite fanatically, judging him loudly and proudly.

This is why the Bills were forced to dump him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Let's be directly clear here.  The Bills cut Araiza because the public lynched him.  I remember saying we should wait for the facts to come out, but was yelled at and told I was supporting a sexual abuser.

And because stupidly there are no lists that you can put a rookie who hasn't yet played in the league on. So the Bills choices were:

a) put a guy being trialled by social media on their 53 and have it talked about every time they punt; or

b) cut him. 

I understand why they chose b) but I can't for the life of me understand why there wasn't a commissioner list type option where the Bills and the NFL could have said "it isn't good for the brand for him to play through this but it is only allegations, nothing is proven let's put him on the list until it resolves itself". 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Here is the point I'd like to understand before I morally exonerate Araiza and the others who had sex with the girl... she was 17 at the time of the incident and there's video of the sex acts.

BTW nice to see all the message board vigilantes out here with their clubs and ropes. So much anger at a "false accuser" as if the men involved are blameless.

It was proven videos taken at the party that she was telling everybody she was 18 and going to the junior college.  That's why there was not statutory rape charges. The morals of random sex could be discussed, but I would guess around 90%of the league would have been guilty of that in college. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Not how that works 

if the parents knew she was out doing what she was doing and did nothing to prevent it there could be liability. I find it hard to believe they didn’t know she was out partying like she had been. 

I'll just say no one know the real truth here.   When the reports came out it was awful for Araiza, now that the investigation information is out it sounds the opposite.  When drugs and alcohol are involved there is a lot of room the truth being somewhere in the middle.  I know drugs have not been mentioned I am just talking in general.   I attended some frat parties and saw some terrible things happen to females that while were terrible, no charges are really possible because of the level of drunkenness of everyone involved.  I get what people are saying about this ruining Araiza's life, some of these incidents ruin the females life too though.  My point is simply no one knows the full truth.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

if the parents knew she was out doing what she was doing and did nothing to prevent it there could be liability. I find it hard to believe they didn’t know she was out partying like she had been. 

In real life its likley impossible to PROVE the parents knew that.  But more importantly, that has nothing to do with her lying. Unless the parents conspired with her to lie, she is on her own. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

If I recall the conversation from Graham’s podcast, he wasn’t charged because the victim claimed that she was 18 and attended a local college.  That statement might have even been recorded at the party. Under CA law it is not a crime if the victim implicitly states they are above the age of consent.  This would be the case in NY where the only thing that matters is the true age of the victim regardless of what the other party is led to believe.

So if this happened in NY, Araiza is likely behind bars for statutory rape.  This is why there allegedly was some uneasiness with keeping him at OBD after all the details came out, along with the other issues outlined in my previous post 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

It's worth mentioning, just for the sake of humanity and empathy and all that...this person who has made these now allegedly false claims was still quite possibly exploited in some way at that party. Aiming the legal/civil allegations at the most upwardly mobile person in the "orbit" of that team and that night in question might be some opportunistic grab by that person and her legal representation, as many now are thinking...OR, it could be a trauma-informed, but maybe inaccurate, attempt to find some semblance of justice. The full truth of so many troubling incidents can be damned near impossible to ever clearly know, even sometimes for the people most directly involved. 

To think any of us here definitely knows what happened in all its complexities and nuances is foolish and revealing. But then again, I don't know much about this actual "case." I just know how elusive objective truth is to unearth much of the time. 

Still wonder if something caused the organization to cut Araiza beyond the simple existence of the accusation. Something inconsistent from him or his team that was somehow called into question after more came to light? A report I recall at the time of this emerging suggested a more group-based encounter and Araiza's defense was that he had already left the party? Does anyone else recall that phase of this saga? I guess the point is we just don't get to know for real. And knowing that, I try not to vilify either participant. 

The eyewitness testimonies and videos were devastating to her rape claims.  About the only thing that could explain what happened is she was roofied and that's why she doesn't remember anything.  But without toxicology there's no way to prove that, much less who gave it to her.  But I still don't believe that Araiza was there when the stuff inside the house happened and her claiming she was 18 and/or was attending the local CC, plus looking like she could be 18, gives him cover for the statutory rape charge.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I'll just say no one know the real truth here.   When the reports came out it was awful for Araiza, now that the investigation information is out it sounds the opposite.  When drugs and alcohol are involved there is a lot of room the truth being somewhere in the middle.  I know drugs have not been mentioned I am just talking in general.   I attended some frat parties and saw some terrible things happen to females that while were terrible, no charges are really possible because of the level of drunkenness of everyone involved.  I get what people are saying about this ruining Araiza's life, some of these incidents ruin the females life too though.  My point is simply no one knows the full truth.

Did anyone really believe that she told people she was 17?  Or that after having sex with her he stuck around to gang rape her with his buddies?

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If I recall the conversation from Graham’s podcast, he wasn’t charged because the victim claimed that she was 18 and attended a local college.  That statement might have even been recorded at the party. Under CA law it is not a crime if the victim implicitly states they are above the age of consent.  This would be the case in NY where the only thing that matters is the true age of the victim regardless of what the other party is led to believe.

So if this happened in NY, Araiza is likely behind bars for statutory rape.  This is why there allegedly was some uneasiness with keeping him at OBD after all the details came out, along with the other issues outlined in my previous post 

And if it had happened in 40 other states where you're legal at 17, it's not even a blip.  So the NYS thing shouldn't factor.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Not me. I hope she lives a dreadful life. If he'd been found guilty people would've been calling for a bullet, (deservedly so).

To subject someone to thaaat, in the name of money or "fame" is equally as low as what he was accused of. All the same people calling for him to be put down in the street are gunna be the same ones praying she gets off easy, because of her sex. 

Hope she eats nothing but Ramen and wears lost and found clothes the rest of her life, and that's getting off pretty damn easyyyyyy

Do you wake up every morning cursing the fact you live somewhere that (at least supposedly) views justice as a form of rehabilitation? 

She's a teenager who made a horrible mistake. You also don't know all the reasons she made that mistake either, there seems to be a lot lot lot more to that story.

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

All the people that jumped the gun are now on the “we don’t really know what happened and never will” train. 

It’s not hard to understand what happened here. 

• Agree 5

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

The eyewitness testimonies and videos were devastating to her rape claims.  About the only thing that could explain what happened is she was roofied and that's why she doesn't remember anything.  But without toxicology there's no way to prove that, much less who gave it to her.  But I still don't believe that Araiza was there when the stuff inside the house happened and her claiming she was 18 and/or was attending the local CC, plus looking like she could be 18, gives him cover for the statutory rape charge.

Did anyone really believe that she told people she was 17?  Or that after having sex with her he stuck around to gang rape her with his buddies?

And if it had happened in 40 other states where you're legal at 17, it's not even a blip.  So the NYS thing shouldn't factor.

I was just trying to relay the reporting of Tim Graham who claims that there were many at OBD and in the locker room that were uneasy with Araiza remaining with the team.  

4 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Do you wake up every morning cursing the fact you live somewhere that (at least supposedly) views justice as a form of rehabilitation? 

She's a teenager who made a horrible mistake. You also don't know all the reasons she made that mistake either, there seems to be a lot lot lot more to that story.

She ruined another person's life based on lies.  What reason could justify what she did, seeing as they met that night for the first time? 

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I was just trying to relay the reporting of Tim Graham who claims that there were many at OBD and in the locker room that were uneasy with Araiza remaining with the team.  

Fair enough, but that has less to do with NYS laws than the team's reaction reflecting the reaction of the general public.  And the team got to know him prior to the allegations coming out and still felt uneasy.  So the Bills had to let him go because it was already a major distraction and they didn't have time to wait to find out he was innocent all along.

I hope the courts find a judgment against the female defendant as an act of vindication to Matt Araiza in this case. It not only further  clears his name in the public eye. But as has been stated  this is hopefully a deterrent to any other potential sleazy lawyers out there...You are officially on notice attempts to force a settlement can fail and then THEY will be paying for Their misconduct.

Not having charges filled against Araiza IS some vindication but I dont think it is enough. He deserves retribution for the months of stress and he endured. Being dropped from an NFL roster is huge financial loss and damage to his person. 

I wonder if the family will want to settle out of court.  The douchey lawyer yeah I doubt he  would.  I think he is at least as culpable as his client.   I followed the original debacle. I am curious as to how this will end. The legal drama that is.

Matt Araiza will play in he NFL at some point. I really do think so. 

18 hours ago, T master said:

I wonder if the Bills FO meaning Beane, McD, & Pegs talked to him to get his story first or if they just cut bait ASAP ?

If he does win his suit against her in court would that look bad on the Bills for not looking into it before getting rid of him & not sticking up for one of their players  ?

I mean they drafted him & apparently had long conversations with him & they thought he was a upstanding young man the type that the Bills thought would be a good fit 🤔

I mean it could have been a real S**T show but even when Marshawn, & Marcel pulled their deals they waited to gather info before closing those doors .

Last thought again if he is completely cleared of all charges & wins the law suit against her could he file a wrongful termination suit against the Bills ? I don't know much about the law but Stranger things have happened . 

I doubt he files a lawsuit against the Bills.  NFL contracts are at will and only the guaranteed part is just that guaranteed. I am thinking he is doing all this so he can get another punting job in the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The bigger question is why no team has picked him up.  He's a year older but his leg should be just as good.  He's been exonerated for the rape accusation so there shouldn't be anything standing in his way.  

Because they want all this stuff out of the way.  The civil trial is still set to being next month and that's a distraction, and now you have the lawsuit (and probably another one against Gilleon soon).

1 hour ago, Doc said:

She ruined another person's life based on lies.  What reason could justify what she did, seeing as they met that night for the first time? 

Reasons why a teenager might feel the need to lie to protect themselves in that situation?

Maybe she had a boyfriend who would get mad she was cheating on him (maybe he was abusive even).

Maybe she was from a super religious family and she would have been basically ostracized if her parents and all the community found out she was doing that stuff.

That's just two off the top of my head. Human brain development and empathy is super interesting and there are a ton of physiological changes happening in the brain at that time.

I am not at all excusing her behavior or saying she shouldn't be punished and face significant consequences...essentially canceling her for life though for a gigantic mistake someone made as a teenager when there could be countless things that she perceived important enough to make and then maintain that lie for so long...just simply no, that's not how things work

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And because stupidly there are no lists that you can put a rookie who hasn't yet played in the league on. So the Bills choices were:

a) put a guy being trialled by social media on their 53 and have it talked about every time they punt; or

b) cut him. 

I understand why they chose b) but I can't for the life of me understand why there wasn't a commissioner list type option where the Bills and the NFL could have said "it isn't good for the brand for him to play through this but it is only allegations, nothing is proven let's put him on the list until it resolves itself". 

it could be years and who declares it resolved? Should the bills hold his rights today and through his civil trial? 

Just now, NoSaint said:

it could be years and who declares it resolved? Should the bills hold his rights today and through his civil trial? 

I meant until the criminal investigation had concluded. While I know he could still be found not guilty in court I think if the DA thinks sufficient evidence to charge then at that point him being cut would have been appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Reasons why a teenager might feel the need to lie to protect themselves in that situation?

Maybe she had a boyfriend who would get mad she was cheating on him (maybe he was abusive even).

Maybe she was from a super religious family and she would have been basically ostracized if her parents and all the community found out she was doing that stuff.

That's just two off the top of my head. Human brain development and empathy is super interesting and there are a ton of physiological changes happening in the brain at that time.

I am not at all excusing her behavior or saying she shouldn't be punished and face significant consequences...essentially canceling her for life though for a gigantic mistake someone made as a teenager when there could be countless things that she perceived important enough to make and then maintain that lie for so long...just simply no, that's not how things work

I understand why she would offer excuses.  What I was saying is that there is no excuse that would justify her ruining another person's life.

And just because she was 17, it's not like she's absolved of all responsibility for her actions.  She should face the consequences of an adult.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

It will be solved by the conclusion of the civil trial.  I expect witness and geolocation evidence to prove Araiza wasn't even there when the activities inside the house began.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I meant until the criminal investigation had concluded. While I know he could still be found not guilty in court I think if the DA thinks sufficient evidence to charge then at that point him being cut would have been appropriate. 

there are no charges being filed 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I understand why she would offer excuses.  What I was saying is that there is no excuse that would justify her ruining another person's life.

And just because she was 17, it's not like she's absolved of all responsibility for her actions.  She should face the consequences of an adult.

It will be solved by the conclusion of the civil trial.  I expect witness and geolocation evidence to prove Araiza wasn't even there when the activities inside the house began.

so...couple years from now, NFL teams will come calling ?

32 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

She cancelled his career and without reprecussion nothing will stop another mans life from being ruined by lies

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Are we talking about the 17 year old who was telling everyone at a college party that she was 18?  

39 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

so she had an excuse MAYBE to lie. That’s just some large horse pucks there.  The fact is she ruined the reputation and possibly career of someone for her own SELFISH reasons and she could have gotten a person sent to jail for a long time for something they didn’t do!  There is no good excuse for what she did, she should have to face serious penalties for the entire length of time he may have had to serve in jail. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eme123 said:

I feel bad for the people who at some point were actually raped or sexually assaulted. Rediculous situations like this make it that much harder for real victims to come forward. Thats the real crime here. 

Sure, but the real crime here appears to be a false accusation was filed with the police.  

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

It doesn't.  When's he going to jail, WEO?

never

But how will he possibly get on a roster if, as you have said over and over, no team will touch him until after the conclusion of the civil trial?

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

there are no charges being filed 

I know. My point was there should have been a way of him being able to be put on some sort of comissioner list until that was known. Given the situation play him when he might be about to be charged with rape or cut him were too stark of a choice. 

No charges were brought in at which point, in my scenario, the Bills would have then have had to activate him or cut him. In a scenario where charges had been brought he then would have been taken off the list and cut.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

so she had an excuse MAYBE to lie. That’s just some large horse pucks there.  The fact is she ruined the reputation and possibly career of someone for her own SELFISH reasons and she could have gotten a person sent to jail for a long time for something they didn’t do!  There is no good excuse for what she did, she should have to face serious penalties for the entire length of time he may have had to serve in jail. 

As horrible as our justice system is, I don’t think sending people to prison based on hypotheticals would be an improvement. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

never

But how will he possibly get on a roster if, as you have said over and over, no team will touch him until after the conclusion of the civil trial?

Is this serious? 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.