The Playcallers - A podcast that you need to hear

ChevyVanMiller

I'm 4 episodes in on this podcast and it is absolutely captivating. It follows the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay coaching tree and the stories of how their philosophies were developed and continually evolved. It's a true must-listen for any football fan into the analytics of the game. 

It also has me a bit worried about our coaching and if we are able to keep up with these kids that eat, sleep and drink the game 24/7.

Here is a synopsis of the first episode and a link to the podcast:

"Welcome to The Playcallers - a five-part podcast series that explores the innovation, competition and sometimes even self-destruction inside the N.F.L.’s youngest coaching family.

In Episode 1, host Jourdan Rodrigue details the origins of the Shanahan/McVay offensive system, which over time grew into the most popular in the sport. Unique circumstances push Kyle Shanahan to start to evolve this system as he joins up with other young coaches in Tampa Bay, Houston and Washington. A collision of forces, dysfunction and talent culminates in the offensive explosion (and then implosion) in Washington with rookie quarterback Robert Griffin the Third.”

Voices in the episode include Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris and Robert Griffin the Third.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-playcallers-ep-1-the-kids-are-all-right/id1528622068?i=1000620447155

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Sounds very interesting, never heard of it, and will definitely listen to at least the first episode.

Thanks for the tip!

👍

👏

I am literally 3 minutes in to the first episode and I think I'm hooked.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sounds very interesting, never heard of it, and will definitely listen to at least the first episode.

Thanks for the tip!

👍

👏

I am literally 3 minutes in to the first episode and I think I'm hooked.

Same thing happened to me. 

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I'm 4 episodes in on this podcast and it is absolutely captivating. It follows the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay coaching tree and the stories of how their philosophies were developed and continually evolved. It's a true must-listen for any football fan into the analytics of the game. 

It also has me a bit worried about our coaching and if we are able to keep up with these kids that eat, sleep and drink the game 24/7.

"Welcome to The Playcallers - a five-part podcast series that explores the innovation, competition and sometimes even self-destruction inside the N.F.L.’s youngest coaching family.

In Episode 1, host Jourdan Rodrigue details the origins of the Shanahan/McVay offensive system, which over time grew into the most popular in the sport. Unique circumstances push Kyle Shanahan to start to evolve this system as he joins up with other young coaches in Tampa Bay, Houston and Washington. A collision of forces, dysfunction and talent culminates in the offensive explosion (and then implosion) in Washington with rookie quarterback Robert Griffin the Third.”

Voices in the episode include Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris and Robert Griffin the Third.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-playcallers-ep-1-the-kids-are-all-right/id1528622068?i=1000620447155

So another anti-mcdermott topic then?

😆

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Not interested in installing iTunes to listen to this.   I dislike companies trying to make decisions for you.

I have enough issues with medical insurance company telling me I need to use a medical device because it is on their list even though it caused problems for me in past.  Skipping monitoring for a year rather than following their instructions and will change insurance next year.

• Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not interested in installing iTunes to listen to this.   I dislike companies trying to make decisions for you.

I have enough issues with medical insurance company telling me I need to use a medical device because it is on their list even though it caused problems for me in past.  Skipping monitoring for a year rather than following their instructions and will change insurance next year.

If you listen to podcasts another way, it should be available to listen there.

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

So another anti-mcdermott topic then?

😆

Maybe. I’m a McDermott fan, but this series made me wonder if multitasking at that level is wise.

36 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If you listen to podcasts another way, it should be available to listen there.

Maybe. I’m a McDermott fan, but this series made me wonder if multitasking at that level is wise.

I did listen and enjoyed it.  My comment was just in jest.

I do understand the concern for the multitasking but when you think back to Rex and them having 48 coaches on the staff (exaggerating but it was a lot), I'd rather have one detail oriented person handling more instead of a bunch of people telling everyone their opinion and what they should do and causing issues what the players think they are suppose to do.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It's available at about 20 websites.   

I've finished the first 3 episodes now.  

Here's my takeaway: in another 10 years, football teams will not be coached by "traditional football guys" like McDermott.

They will be coached by really smart people who 30 years ago would have gone into medicine, engineering, law, finance, whatever.

Right now, there's a huge advantage to be gained by loading your team with the young smart ones and getting rid of the old ones.

Or, better, keep them around for teaching fundamentals; but you don't actually need to be a "Football guy" or know how to "properly block" to scheme an offense.  It's a different type of task entirely.

Regarding multi-tasking, I have commented on this in a bunch of threads here and there over the last year or so.

I honestly think the future will be for the traditional HC position to be broken down into 2 or 3 jobs; it's too much for 1 man the way the modern game is played.

That might be a good thread topic some time.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Here's my takeaway: in another 10 years, football teams will not be coached by "traditional football guys" like McDermott.

They will be coached by really smart people who 30 years ago would have gone into medicine, engineering, law, finance, whatever.

Right now, there's a huge advantage to be gained by loading your team with the young smart ones and getting rid of the old ones.

Or, better, keep them around for teaching fundamentals; but you don't actually need to be a "Football guy" or know how to "properly block" to scheme an offense.  It's a different type of task entirely.

Regarding multi-tasking, I have commented on this in a bunch of threads here and there over the last year or so.

I honestly think the future will be for the traditional HC position to be broken down into 2 or 3 jobs; it's too much for 1 man the way the modern game is played.

I know this isn’t meant to be a McDermott bashing thread, but this sure comes off as one. You mentioned a smart person who would have gone into, oh I don’t know, FINANCE. McDermott has a degree in…wait for it…FINANCE. 
Maybe I’m old school, but give me “football guys” scheming for my team. The his isn’t Madden. 

McD comes from a better “tree” IMO. The Andy Reid tree has a lot more SB winners than Kyle’s. Kyle hasn’t won a Super Bowl that I know of. 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

thanks! I am always looking for good podcasts.

I do hope though that this isn’t a McVay love fest. I don’t care for him, though maybe my views will change after this.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I know this isn’t meant to be a McDermott bashing thread, but this sure comes off as one. You mentioned a smart person who would have gone into, oh I don’t know, FINANCE. McDermott has a degree in…wait for it…FINANCE. 
Maybe I’m old school, but give me “football guys” scheming for my team. The his isn’t Madden. 

McD comes from a better “tree” IMO. The Andy Reid tree has a lot more SB winners than Kyle’s. Kyle hasn’t won a Super Bowl that I know of. 

Yeah right; he's an ex-college football player who didn't have the skill to get to the next level.

Any idea how many classes he actually attended?  Any idea of his grades?  Did he graduate with a degree?

Ever listen to him speak in a live interaction setting where he is not delivering off-the-shelf phrases and prepared answers?

If you are suggesting he could have done anything with his intellect, I have to disagree with you.

And by the way, I don't particularly like McDermott as our coach or as an individual; he's totally NOT my kind of guy.

So there is probably some anti-McClappington stuff coming out in almost any of my posts concerning him.

It's called bias.

😂

Anyway, if you think the collective coaching body of the NFL is a bunch of really smart guys, you're mistaken.

This is one reason why BB reigns supreme over all of theme; he's actually smart.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah right; he's an ex-college football player who didn't have the skill to get to the next level.

Any idea how many classes he actually attended?  Any idea of his grades?  Did he graduate with a degree?

Ever listen to him speak in a live interaction setting where he is not delivering off-the-shelf phrases and prepared answers?

If you are suggesting he could have done anything with his intellect, I have to disagree with you.

And by the way, I don't particularly like McDermott as our coach or as an individual; he's totally NOT my kind of guy.

So there is probably some anti-McClappington stuff coming out in almost any of my posts concerning him.

It's called bias.

😂

Anyway, if you think the collective coaching body of the NFL is a bunch of really smart guys, you're mistaken.

This is one reason why BB reigns supreme over all of theme; he's actually smart.

McDaniel is an ex-college football player that couldn't make it at the next level. He's also considered to be the biggest nerd of these new football coaches that you speak of. Guess what? Kyle Shanahan and Mcvay both were as well. 

Your view of McDermott is just biased with your dislike of his personality.

Edited by Herc11
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

thanks! I am always looking for good podcasts.

I do hope though that this isn’t a McVay love fest. I don’t care for him, though maybe my views will change after this.

I'm pretty high on McVay. I like him a lot more than Sean Payton. 

McVay instantly made Goff look like a top 5 QB for a couple seasons. He's shown he can create a balanced attack when he had Gurley in his prime. He trades for Stafford and they instantly win a Super Bowl with a new QB. Even winning that game last year against the Raiders with Baker Mayfield being on the team for 24hrs was good work. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Haven't both McVay and Shanahan been the primary play callers for the Rams and 49ers for the majority of the last several seasons? They have both had a lot of success. 

Also McD promoted Washington to assistant head coach so he has been taking some of the work from McD.  He has stated as much in one of his pressers about being able to just focus on running the defense when they are doing team drills while Washington handles the drill overall.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm pretty high on McVay. I like him a lot more than Sean Payton. 

McVay instantly made Goff look like a top 5 QB for a couple seasons. He's shown he can create a balanced attack when he had Gurley in his prime. He trades for Stafford and they instantly win a Super Bowl with a new QB. Even winning that game last year against the Raiders with Baker Mayfield being on the team for 24hrs was good work. 

my issue with McVay is mostly about his arrogance. I don’t care for his aura. Plus, all this early retirement talk to spend time with his fiancée seemed so classic Gen z. Lot of regular people out there that grind it out and have a wife and have kids!! 

I also didn’t care how he sort of throws players under the bus or out the door, like with Goff and Akers.

But no doubt he has had some offensive success. 

On 7/15/2023 at 10:00 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Chevy, thanks for the heads up.  They just mentioned this cast on WGR Friday morning.  Dibiase had some things to say about it with Sal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Herc11 said:

McDaniel is an ex-college football player that couldn't make it at the next level. He's also considered to be the biggest nerd of these new football coaches that you speak of. Guess what? Kyle Shanahan and Mcvay both were as well. 

Your view of McDermott is just biased with your dislike of his personality.

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Haven't both McVay and Shanahan been the primary play callers for the Rams and 49ers for the majority of the last several seasons? They have both had a lot of success. 

Exactly. Everything they are accusing McDermott of doing or being is EXACTLY what all these coaches that they are swooning over are and do. The blindness in these "fans" is hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's called bias.

😂

Seriously? That's just ridiculous. It's evidence that you are indeed running here on confirmation bias. You are using the fact that you DON'T know his grades as evidence that he's not really smart. On the face of it, that is next-level dumb.

Oh, and yes he graduated, with a degree in "Business Finance." He also earned Academic All-Conference at William and Mary in '96 and '97.

Being an ex-football player - whether or not you have the skill to get to the next level - doesn't mean you're not absolutely brilliant.

Look at Whizzer White, Duvernay-Tardif, Alan Page, Eisenhower, Jeffrey Immelt, Sam Palmisano, Brian Moynihan. There was a guy from Buffalo, an OL who looked good in the NFL for a year or two who quit the NFL to become a math prof. Who was he? Urschel, that's it. Buzz Aldrin. Pat Haden. The list goes on and on and on.

Belichick was also an "ex-college football player who didn't have the skill to get to the next level." McVay too. How come that counts against McDermott for you but not against Belichick or McVay? And does Belichick speak like a rocket scientist? Remind me.

EDIT: The podcast does sound interesting. I'll try to take a look. Thanks for bringing it up.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2023 at 10:14 PM, Limeaid said:

You can download this from any podcast service.  I use BeyondPod and can access everything, for free.

Edited by Dan Darragh

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And by the way, I don't particularly like McDermott as our coach or as an individual; he's totally NOT my kind of guy

Thank you.  I now know to pretty much ignore anything you say about McD due to your clear and admitted bias.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's called bias.

I sort of respect you acknowledging that. It is kind of where I was with Rex. Even if he had of been a successful Bills coach I'd have struggled to ever really warm to him. Personality wise he is not my type of person at all and when I come into contact with "Rex Ryan types" in normal life I make sure to keep them at arms length as much as possible. There are elements of McDermott's personality that irritate me.... starting post-game press conferences thanking God before thanking the players who slogged their guts out for 60 minutes winds me up as an atheist fan and if I was an atheist player would really grate with me. But broadly his professional, process driven approach really accords with how I lead and how I work. We all gravitate towards people who are like us. That is human nature. The best we can do is acknowledge that at times it will influence our decision making and make sure there are some safeguards and challenge functions in place. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's called bias.

😂

Yes. With a degree you said smart people could obtain. Finance. According to wiki He also received Academic all-conference honors in 1996 and 1997
Anti-Mclappington!?!

WOW!!

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree with a lot of this but don't think McDermott is some traditional football meathead that you seem to think he is. That is your bias showing.

But on the broader point it has already happened to an extent with soccer. If you go back 30 years or so pretty much the only route to being a soccer coach was to be a retired professional soccer player. While that remains a majority nowadays you have guys who have been professional coaches since their teens and have worked just at coaching, you have guys who were in other professions first and then came to coaching later.... most of them played soccer at some level as a youth but there are lots of routes now beyond being a big name ex-player and the success of Jose Mourinho - interpreter turned elite manager - really opened a lot of doors for others. 

On 7/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, Limeaid said:

I'm sure all this extraneous information will make sense later on.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 7/15/2023 at 7:00 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Curious…What makes you think our staff doesn’t eat, sleep, and drink the game 24/7?  Everything we know about guys like McD, Dorsey, etc is that they very much do themselves.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Thank you.  I now know to pretty much ignore anything you say about McD due to your clear and admitted bias.

It's amazing how sacrilegious it is around here to give McD even the smallest amount of criticism. 13 seconds was Farwell's fault.....13 seconds was Leslie's fault...Sean is the greatest regular season HC in Bills history....on and on.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Curious…What makes you think our staff doesn’t eat, sleep, and drink the game 24/7?  Everything we know about guys like McD, Dorsey, etc is that they very much do themselves.  

I’m hoping that is correct. But when you listen to the podcast, and see the level that these other guys are taking it to, I just hope that Dorsey, in particular, shows that same level of commitment the season.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's amazing how sacrilegious it is around here to give McD even the smallest amount of criticism. 13 seconds was Farwell's fault.....13 seconds was Leslie's fault...Sean is the greatest regular season HC in Bills history....on and on.....

What are you even talking about? The dude has a personal bias against McD and openly admitted it.  We're not talking about reasonable criticism of coaching decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Jesus ***** christ what are you talking about

I have to leave this place for days at a time because all I ever read is people criticizing mcd and it's so boring

Where is this imaginary place where all the annoying posters don't exist, I yearn for it

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’m hoping that is correct. But when you listen to the podcast, and see the level that these other guys are taking it to, I just hope that Dorsey, in particular, shows that same level of commitment the season.

Thanks for the heads up on the podcast, I just downloaded the episodes and had been looking for a new one for my walks with my dog.  Look forward to checking it out :) 

As far as the other stuff, McD has long been known to be obsessive about the game, so I don't think its fair to assume he is not.  Honestly, when I read your comment it kind of came across like offensive background coaches vs defensive background coaches bias.  Not saying that was your motivation, and I haven't listened to the podcast, but that was why I asked you about where that thought came from.  Especially given McD is known to be highly detailed and obsessive himself.  

It’s not as good as I’d thought.  Only heard episode 2 I thought someone said that was the best one.   

Thought I would hear Shanny and McVay talk ball but it’s mostly a rehash of their stories and eventual hires as HC.  Didn’t need to hear about how Shanny got the Falcons to a Super Bowl.  I didn’t learn anything new.  “They know offense.  McVay said they’d have used more 2 TE but Cooper Kupp needed to be on the field.  Let’s still run 12 personnel looks/plays out of our actual 11 personnel players.” 

Shanny explained why he blew that 28-3 lead with the worst excuse of all time.  “I’m aggressive by nature.”  That’s awesome Shanny.  Situation called for you to not be - long term be aggressive overall especially if it’s a 1 or 2 score game…..but with 17 minutes left up by 25 use your brain and not put Matt Ryan in position to get sacked out of FG range and to not kill clock.  

Also the host is annoying.  

The only interesting thing I got was if not for a snowstorm, McVay may have never been hired by the Rams.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Shanny explained why he blew that 28-3 lead with the worst excuse of all time.  “I’m aggressive by nature.”  That’s awesome Shanny.  Situation called for you to not be - long term be aggressive overall especially if it’s a 1 or 2 score game…..but with 17 minutes left up by 25 use your brain and not put Matt Ryan in position to get sacked out of FG range and to not kill clock.  

I think Shanny is the best offensive coordinator (and I use that term for its actual meaning not in terms of the job role it is attached to on the org chart) and the best offensive mind in football but his playcalling has blown two Superbowls. In that Chiefs Superbowl they abandoned the run in the 4th quarter it was just odd. The Atlanta screw up has been done to death. That was every it as bad of a single coaching decision as 13 seconds. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.