Poll: Large Themes - How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?

Chaos

How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?

• Allen and Diggs simply have to more productive, they are not good enough
    • Offense Other than Allen and Diggs need to improve
    • Defense Needs to be Better
    • Playoff Preparation & Game Planning need to be better

I feel like I have seen different Bill's games the last 5 years, than many of the posters on this board.  This poll is to see how much stronger of an eye glass prescription, I may need. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

• Chaos changed the title to Poll: Large Themes - How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?

Offense needs to improve. I'm not worried about Diggs/Allen. I think Damien Harris is gonna help at the RB position. I just need reliability at the other receiver position. Beasley gave that to me a couple seasons ago. 3rd and 3/3rd and 5, when Diggs wasn't available, Beasley was the sure thing to keep the chains moving. Can Kincaid be that guy? Maybe, but I'd like to know for sure

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I feel like I have seen different Bill's games the last 5 years, than many of the posters on this board.  This poll is to see how much stronger of an eye glass prescription, I may need. 

You may not need new eye glasses. Try setting down grandpa’s ol’ cough medicine first.

• Haha (+1) 1

I went with Defense needs to be better.  They need to find 20-30 more sacks on the DLine.  It's a passing league and the defense doesn't get home near enough to control the games.  The Offense is doing their job.  But plays like the Hail Murray and Cam Lewis-Jefferson can't happen and might not happen if the DLINE got home more regularly.   Stats are fine, but when the game is on the line, Mahomes and Burrow and Tua and Rodgers need to be on the ground.

• Agree 2

I haven't been overly impressed with game plans and play calls the past few years in the playoffs.

Coaching seems to have a mindset of "this is what got us here" instead of the Belichick mode of I'm attacking them this way, take away that guy, make changes on the fly, while our coaches make few changes.

I'm hoping McD taking over defensive play calling will change that and they'll be a little more aggressive and less passive.

• Agree 2

It’s selection’s 2 & 4 

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

This feels like another thread designed to steer towards criticizing coaching and be back hand slap to McD again the way you set up your poll.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

In order for me

1) Preparation and game planning

2) Defense needs to improve

3) Offense other than Diggs/Allen needs to improve

4) Allen/Diggs need to improve

The O-line has been a major liability and if they improve then Allen/Diggs will naturally improve as well. 

The defense has been a train wreck in 3 straight playoff losses. Spare me the "they only allowed 27 points to the Bengals" argument. They gave up 30 first downs, forced 2 punts (1 in garbage time), 1 sack for 2 yards, and 0 turnovers. That's not close to being good enough to win a game. 

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

In order for me

1) Preparation and game planning

2) Defense needs to improve

3) Offense other than Diggs/Allen needs to improve

4) Allen/Diggs need to improve

The O-line has been a major liability and if they improve then Allen/Diggs will naturally improve as well. 

The defense has been a train wreck in 3 straight playoff losses. Spare me the "they only allowed 27 points to the Bengals" argument. They gave up 30 first downs, forced 2 punts (1 in garbage time), 1 sack for 2 yards, and 0 turnovers. That's not close to being good enough to win a game. 

And the talent we put on the field that day wasn’t close to being good enough to stop the reigning AFC champions-  stay healthy- the current talent level on our defense is the best it’s ever been under McD.  I think our defensive play calling will also be better than it’s been under McD. 

I expect our overall defensive stats to take dip in ppg and ypg due to the offenses that we’re facing- i also expect a better showing come the playoffs as long as injuries don’t cripple our talent level again

• Agree 1

The answer is defense needs to improve in the playoffs, which is a result of preparation and game plannning

Over the last 3 seasons the Bills and Bengals have each played 7 playoff games against many common opponents. I think it's fair to say the Bengals have experienced much more postseason success

In those 7 games, here are ppg averages for offense and defense

Bengals O: 23.28ppg

Bills O: 27.85ppg

Bengals D: 18.85ppg

Bills: 26ppg

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They need to peak at the right time. They did in 2021 and we all know what happened. They were nowhere near their best form in the post season in 2022. In 2020 I just think they got beaten by a better team.

It is impossible to be at your best every week in an 18 week season and 3 or 4 week playoff run. You gotta peak at the right time. 

So give me "none of the above."

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This feels like another thread designed to steer towards criticizing coaching and be back hand slap to McD again the way you set up your poll.  

You've read Chaos's posts before then haha.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They need to peak at the right time. They did in 2021 and we all know what happened. They were nowhere near their best form in the post season in 2022. In 2020 I just think they got beaten by a better team.

It is impossible to be at your best every week in an 18 week season and 3 or 4 week playoff run. You gotta peak at the right time. 

So give me "none of the above."

So they peaked in 2021 and didn't even make it out of the divisional round?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Sadly, yes. They badly mismanaged the last 2 mins in Kansas City and it cost them. 

The offense peaked. The rest of the team did not.

Unless you consider a divisional loss round to the Chiefs the pinnacle of their ambitions. I hope they are higher than that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The offense peaked. The rest of the team did not.

Unless you consider a divisional loss round to the Chiefs the pinnacle of their ambitions. I hope they are higher than that.

The defense played well in that gane until the last 2 minutes too. They just blew that game at the end. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The defense played well in that gane until the last 2 minutes too. They just blew that game at the end. 

There are so many conclusions being made that are revisionist based on results.

Had we won that game, which obviously could have went either way, are the Chiefs the one with the problems considering we've beaten them the last two regular season games and the one previous to that?

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

There are so many conclusions being made that are revisionist based on results.

Had we won that game, which obviously could have went either way, are the Chiefs the one with the problems considering we've beaten them the last two regular season games and the one previous to that?

That game could not have gone either way imo

I just watched the whole thing on Tuesday for some reason. If we play that game 10 times the Chiefs win 8 or 9 of them. Some of the things Allen did to keep the Bills in that game just aren't sustainable, the Chiefs were by far the better squad in all phases except QB

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But it kinda does. The Bills peaked in many ways in that post season. They blew a game they should have won at least twice. It sucks but that's life.

I just can't get there. The defense got pushed around by the Philip Rivers-led Colts, managed to stymie Lamar Jackson and the Ravens thanks to a hurricane, and then turned around and gave the game away to the Chiefs. They were bad and there's really no getting around that. The Bills have been consistently let down in the postseason by the defense and the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I just can't get there. The defense got pushed around by the Philip Rivers-led Colts, managed to stymie Lamar Jackson and the Ravens thanks to a hurricane, and then turned around and gave the game away to the Chiefs. They were bad and there's really no getting around that. The Bills have been consistently let down in the postseason by the defense and the coaching staff.

What would you say about the Chiefs D in that game?

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They were two different post seasons.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

KC was dynamic on offense but letting the Chief score 33 points is, imo, a defense not playing well.

They played well UNTIL the last 2 minutes. At the two minute warning the Chiefs had 23 points. The Bills screwed the last 2 minutes of that game. No doubt about that. And it was on defense and coaching.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They were two different post seasons.

They played well UNTIL the last 2 minutes. At the two minute warning the Chiefs had 23 points. The Bills screwed the last 2 minutes of that game. No doubt about that. And it was on defense and coaching.

Oh, 2 minute warning, I was thinking 13 seconds but final 2 minutes in an NFL game is a long long time.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

lol wtf am i thinking, of course they are

they played decent vs Patriots, no doubt

The Nyheim Hines highlight reel game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.