Poll: Large Themes - How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?

Chaos

How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. How do the Bills get over the hump to win the Super Bowl?

• Allen and Diggs simply have to more productive, they are not good enough
    • Offense Other than Allen and Diggs need to improve
    • Defense Needs to be Better
    • Playoff Preparation & Game Planning need to be better

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh, 2 minute warning, I was thinking 13 seconds but final 2 minutes

Yea everyone obsesses over 13 seconds (understandably) but the Bills blew that game twice inside 2 minutes IMO. It is the one year where I 100% agree coaching and the defense killed them. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

They have to avoid major injuries to All Pro and star players.

Exactly. This is what held the team back last year. The injuries to the defense, and Josh Allen's elbow injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

I feel like I have seen different Bill's games the last 5 years, than many of the posters on this board.  This poll is to see how much stronger of an eye glass prescription, I may need. 

Chaos this is a dumb poll in my opinion because you knew when you made it its yes to all. js. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

and what held them back the year before and the year before that

Coaching the year before.  

Coaching, OL and defense the year before that.  

Josh played poorly in 2 of the last 3 season ending losses

Edited by NewEra

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Held them back from what? Being one of the best teams in the NFL?

The thread title says 'win a Super Bowl's so clearly that's what I'm referring to

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Coaching the year before.  

Coaching, OL and defense the year before that.  

Josh played poorly in 2 of the last 3 season ending losses

Yes when Allen doesn't play well we typically lose, no different from other teams except maybe moreso because we can't overcome it elsewhere in the postseason

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The thread title says 'win a Super Bowl's so clearly that's what I'm referring to

Yes when Allen doesn't play well we typically lose, no different from other teams except maybe moreso because we can't overcome it elsewhere in the postseason

Right- same as every team that builds around and elite QB you base your team around.  

what was the point of asking what held them back the 2 years before that?

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Right- same as every team that builds around and elite QB you base your team around.  

what was the point of asking what held them back the 2 years before that?

Because we can't even win when when we have the best QB 

Put it a different way- do you have any confidence the Bills could win a postseason game where Allen wasn't the best QB on the field

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Maybe. Just playing devil’s advocate here. Maybe he isn’t the best qb. Maybe that’s why some people, me included, that thinks he can improve to being the best but he isn’t there yet.

I saw the best qb got his team a win with 13sec left. Say what you will about coaching blunders but that guy didn’t flinched and delivered for his team.

4 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Maybe. Just playing devil’s advocate here. Maybe he isn’t the best qb. Maybe that’s why some people, me included, that thinks he can improve to being the best but he isn’t there yet.

I saw the best qb got his team a win with 13sec left. Say what you will about coaching blunders but that guy didn’t flinched and delivered for his team.

There is almost zero room for Allen to improve in the postseason so that's very unlikely to happen

Just now, GoBills808 said:

There is almost zero room for Allen to improve in the postseason so that's very unlikely to happen

Oh I disagree here. After this past postseason I think he’ll learn and improve. He has experienced playing at the highest of highs and lowest of lows from an execution standpoint. Those are invaluable experiences for a person to improve. My hope anyway. 

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The thread title says 'win a Super Bowl's so clearly that's what I'm referring to.

The Bills could have won the superbowl those years too. They've been good enough for a couple of years now and they'll be good enough this year too. But so are other teams.

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Put it a different way- do you have any confidence the Bills could win a postseason game where Allen wasn't the best QB on the field

We don't have the best QB. Mahomes is better. Burrow is close to or at Allen's level too, although quite a different style.

I'd argue that Allen has a lower floor than both of them and maybe others as well, but his ceiling is as high as anyone's.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills could have won the superbowl those years too. They've been good enough for a couple of years now and they'll be good enough this year too. But so are other teams.

We don't have the best QB. Mahomes is better. Burrow is close to or at Allen's level too, although quite a different style.

I'd argue that Allen has a lower floor than both of them and maybe others as well, but his ceiling is as high as anyone's.

'on the field'

I mean we all just watched Jalen Hurts clearly be the superior QB and yet the Chiefs still won the SB

Why can't the Bills do that as well

• Disagree 2

38 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What do you mean we can’t win even when we have the best QB-  we’ve won playoff games with the best QB…… we just lost lost 1 (13 secs).  

I don’t have much confidence in any team winning when the QB is bad (like Allen in the 20 and 22 losses).  If this 2023 team is relatively healthy- I think we can beat anyone as long as allen isn’t bad.   So yes, I have confidence that we can win in the playoffs if Allen plays well, but slightly worse than the opposing QB.

the rosters we fielded in the 20 and 22 playoff losses were lesser than our opponents imo.  I feel this roster is better than every team in the AFC…..when healthy.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, JJGauna said:

All of the above? Maybe just a bit of luck, the Bills are Super Bowl contenders every year now. 

At the beginning of the year 32 teams are Super Bowl contenders.  At the beginning of the post season 14 teams are contenders.  By championship week there are four.  We are in the middle group of 14. Consistently. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

healthy focused Allen is the best QB in the league- Allen with an effed up elbow/crazy ex girlfriend  is not

i expect to see the healthy/non crazy side chick Allen this year

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Who are the players you expect to be stars/play at an all pro level in 2023?

MIcah Hyde was 2nd team all pro in his last full season of 2021.  Von Miller has been all pro or 2nd team all pro 7 times.  Tre White has been all pro or 2nd team all pro twice out of the last 4 seasons. All of these players missed significant time due to injuries and Tre white was not back to normal at any time during the season.  Josh Allen played the second half of the season with an injured elbow.  I think that is a pretty important group of players and I expect all of them to play at a very high level when healthy!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Billl said:

Who are the players you expect to be stars/play at an all pro level in 2023?

The same guys that helped beat KC last year and/or the year before-  von, Hyde, Poyer, Tre-  add Leonard Floyd.

as Bills fan, you should know this.  Oh wait-  you’re just a troll here pretending that the bills are your 2nd favorite team AND a rival at the same time.  🙄 🧌 

• Like (+1) 2

Poor coaching preparation, game planning and incompetent ownership over the past 50 years both Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. And when they were here in Buffalo it also applied to the Buffalo Braves too. The only coach worth anything was Dr. Jack Ramsay but like the Buffalo Bills, Sabres the Braves had incompetent ownership. The Braves owner incompetent Paul Snyder fired Jack Ramsay after the 1975-1976 season he get hired by the Portland Trail Blazers in 1976-77 that weren’t packing them in back then. Portland wins the NBA championship that first year in Portland win the NBA championship that in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

healthy focused Allen is the best QB in the league- Allen with an effed up elbow/crazy ex girlfriend  is not

He's not, though. Mahomes is better, clearly.

My list in priority order:

1- O-line improvements (seems to have been addressed well)

2- Josh take the "low hanging fruit" more often (ie. open receivers underneath)

3- Better production at #2 pass catcher (WR or TE)

4- Scheme adjustments in-game

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Better team. The defense giving up 2  leads in 2 minutes is not  a josh problem. Mahomes has a better coach/coordinator, a better olive and arguably better weapons. 

You can explain it any way you like, but Mahomes has won more, has better stats, more accolades, shown up in bigger moments, etc. He is more consistently elite and less volatile than Josh. It's just the truth. Mahomes is the best, most impactful player in the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:37 AM, wjag said:

I went with Defense needs to be better.  They need to find 20-30 more sacks on the DLine.  It's a passing league and the defense doesn't get home near enough to control the games.  The Offense is doing their job.  But plays like the Hail Murray and Cam Lewis-Jefferson can't happen and might not happen if the DLINE got home more regularly.   Stats are fine, but when the game is on the line, Mahomes and Burrow and Tua and Rodgers need to be on the ground.

So true. Anytime we need a big sack it's nowhere to be found.  You'd think on paper Von, Floyd and Groot should get you 30+ between them.  This will be a make or break season for McD.  No excuses,  you're calling the plays like Reid & Shanahan. The key to our offense is 2 fold. First the OL must step up over 5 years of mediocrity.  Protect 17 and create holes for Cook/Harris. Secondly Kincaid has to shine his rookie year and be that 2nd outlet moving the chains.  If these things happen we'll be a problem for most teams, regardless of the inconsistent coaching. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Last year the Bills were complacent and exhausted against the Bengals. The year before, they panicked against the Chiefs. In order to win it all they have to be and remain in the moment during the playoffs. There is no question that they have the talent and experience, both on the roster and on the coaching staff. (Somebody needs to bring a large suitcase filled with smelling salts!)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

You can explain it any way you like, but Mahomes has won more, has better stats, more accolades, shown up in bigger moments, etc. He is more consistently elite and less volatile than Josh. It's just the truth. Mahomes is the best, most impactful player in the NFL.

switch teams and the results are the same- and i'll still take josh

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can't really argue with you here, that said he also had the benefit of being developed by one of the best. I'm sure that contributed to some extent. 

Everything except the Diggs/Allen option, and even that can be discussed 

8 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Some guy named mahomes enters the discussion …

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Review how many games the Chiefs have won when Mahomes was not having his best games.  Do the same for Allen.  It is clear which team supports its QB better. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Review how many games the Chiefs have won when Mahomes was not having his best games.  Do the same for Allen.  It is clear which team supports its QB better. 

How about you do that? You are making this up completely.

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

The same guys that helped beat KC last year and/or the year before-  von, Hyde, Poyer, Tre-  add Leonard Floyd.

as Bills fan, you should know this.  Oh wait-  you’re just a troll here pretending that the bills are your 2nd favorite team AND a rival at the same time.  🙄 🧌 

I hope someday you develop the emotional strength to participate in a football discussion with someone who likes a team other than the Bills without having a complete breakdown.  

I said offense needs to improve, but I wish I could have voted for 2 categories, because I also wanted to vote for better coaching, planning, and prep, which is just as important and just as lacking.

BB usually isn't working these days in the post season...hire him to be bench boss only during playoff games, and tell McDermott to make his D calls and that's it.

Then go out and get 1 or 2 bonafide star offensive weapons, with at least 1 guy who is almost as good or as good as Diggs, and another not far behind.  It would be great if one of them was a big, heavy, fast, TE who can catch and run.

Maybe the new guy will work in that department.  I don't know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.