Jeremy Fowler - The Bills believe they have the Diggs situation resolved

BillsFan619

On 6/29/2023 at 3:40 PM, BillsSbSoon said:

How much more can we force him the ball than we already have?

"Force" is the keyword here. The Bills brass need to scheme him open more. Move him around. Something similar to like the Rams do Cooper Kupp or like the Raiders do with Davante Adams. Line him up in the backfield if it's gonna cause mismatch problems

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Diggs is the type of player that things need to be going right for him to not make noise.  If for any reason the Bills season begins to go sideways - ooh boy! 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. The ONE part that I legit criticise Stef for is the storming out at the end of the Bengals game before the coaches had delivered their end of game speech. That is unprofessional and as emotional as he was he HAS to behave better than that. But whatever business Stef had with the team or individuals has been handled in house. He hasn't tweeted anything explicit or done critical interviews.

I mean who in their right mind would after a 13 win season?

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless Josh misses significant time there is zero chance the Bills miss the playoffs.

Which is what I have always told you. It’s the Josh Allen show. McDermott is just along for the ride and occasionally screws things up for Allen (like 13 seconds).

Insert any coach - Jauron, Rex, whatever - onto this team and we will still make the playoffs with Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Which is what I have always told you. It’s the Josh Allen show. McDermott is just along for the ride and occasionally screws things up for Allen (like 13 seconds).

Insert any coach - Jauron, Rex, whatever - onto this team and we will still make the playoffs with Josh Allen. 

I have never disagreed with that (well he isn't "just along for the ride") but your general point. Where we have disagreed is I think give McDermott any of those rosters that Jauron, Gaily, Rex etc had and is 1 or 2 wins better year on year. 'Cos he is a better coach. Look at Atlanta and KC in 2017. He beat teams he had no business beating. The others never did that. But QB is always more important than coach I have never, ever, disputed that.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. The ONE part that I legit criticise Stef for is the storming out at the end of the Bengals game before the coaches had delivered their end of game speech. That is unprofessional and as emotional as he was he HAS to behave better than that. But whatever business Stef had with the team or individuals has been handled in house. He hasn't tweeted anything explicit or done critical interviews.

A very smart person once told me that "everybody is not like you". Maybe with the way Stef was feeling the best way was to be by himself. Kinda like he stayed behind on the field after the loss to KC. People accept loss differently. I'm sure everyone, in the heat of the moment, done something stupid and wished after the fact that you would've handled it differently. Apparently that's what happened to Stef therefore him coming back to the locker room. 

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

A very smart person once told me that "everybody is not like you". Maybe with the way Stef was feeling the best way was to be by himself. Kinda like he stayed behind on the field after the loss to KC. People accept loss differently. I'm sure everyone, in the heat of the moment, done something stupid and wished after the fact that you would've handled it differently. Apparently that's what happened to Stef therefore him coming back to the locker room. 

Doesn't matter. Going and sitting there for 5 minutes with your teammates while the coaches address you is the only acceptable way to respond in that situation. If Stef then wanted to go get away from it and not talk to anyone from the team for 3 or 4 months that is his right. But in those initial moments after a loss he has a professional responsobility and he let himself and his team down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Doesn't matter. Going and sitting there for 5 minutes with your teammates while the coaches address you is the only acceptable way to respond in that situation. If Stef then wanted to go get away from it and not talk to anyone from the team for 3 or 4 months that is his right. But in those initial moments after a loss he has a professional responsobility and he let himself and his team down.

Diggs is not a leader.  He doesnt have those skills.  But its not really in his job duties, either. 

He wasnt hired to be one.  Even a "process" team is not likely to have 53 leaders.

During the drought and at other times, some of us complain that we dont have enough 'bad boys' to win a championship.  Well, we have one.  One who is supremely skilled.  One who burns to win a championship (instead of harnessing his skills just for money).

And whose "bad" does not include drugs or violence.  Just distrations.  which a Process team should be able to absorb and handle.

I say its a net win.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

Diggs is not a leader.  He doesnt have those skills.  But its not really in his job duties, either. 

He wasnt hired to be one.  Even a "process" team is not likely to have 53 leaders.

During the drought and at other times, some of us complain that we dont have enough 'bad boys' to win a championship.  Well, we have one.  One who is supremely skilled.  One who burns to win a championship (instead of harnessing his skills just for money).

And whose "bad" does not include drugs or violence.  Just distrations.  which a Process team should be able to absorb and handle.

I say its a net win.

You don't have to be a leader (although I dispute that he isn't one or doesn't have those skill). But this is just about being a good teammate for literally 5-10 minutes. And I am the biggest Stefon Diggs fan going. Loved him before he was a Bill, love him as a Bill. No question he is a net win for the team. He was an essential part of our ascension from team on the rise to contender and I would be gutted if the Bills traded him, that would (in my mind) be a huge mistake. But that still doesn't mean he didn't let himself and his team down in those moments. He has a responsibility to be a professional. Every player on the roster does. And in that situation he was unprofessional. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

I'd agree with this from 2020 on.  However, I don't think we make the playoffs in 2017 or 2019 with "any coach" like Jauron or Rex.  The defense that McDermott helped build and the culture he helped create helped them perform above expectations in those years.  I also don't think we get close to 13 wins last season with "any coach" given the influx of injuries to our best players on defense and all the other crazy stuff that happened from May through January.  There were a lot of tricky waters to navigate through and I thought he did a great job.  

Up to this point he's proven he's a very good regular season coach.  Now he has to prove it in the playoffs and the pressure only intensifies when you have a QB like Allen.  Another blunder like 13 seconds or another instance of being thoroughly out coached like he was in the Bengals game and I'd think of moving on if I was Pegula.  You'd have to have a strong conviction that there's someone else out there that would be an upgrade though.  I really just don't see that happening though but I'm a cautious optimist.

16 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I say its a net win.

I think Diggs can be a great leader and it's why he was voted captain.  People aren't perfect though and Diggs still has some growing up to do.  I was very stupid even at 29.  Still stupid now but definitely back then.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think you should leave Rex out of the conversation. McDermott took Rex’s joke of a team to a playoff berth in his first season. Rex took a good thing and effed it up. From a top 5 defense to crap. Short memories. 
And…this team is much more than Josh. Except to Josh Allen jock strap sniffers. Give his jock back and maybe he keeps it in his pants and no baby daddy drama. Just before a playoff game vs. Cincy. I think that’s a what Diggs was pissed about. Very quiet subject here. 🤔

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What other player would be allowed to do this?  Suppose JA27 pulled this antic.  Behavior not allowed especially from a team leader.   I think there was some kind of discipline given to Diggs which is why he’s been sulking for 5 months.  Just conjecture.  

• Like (+1) 1

The last two times Diggs has been contractually obligated to put on a Bills jersey at OBD he’s thrown a tantrum. 

I have difficulty separating the two events.  If one day of conversations is all it took, then we likely wouldn’t have had any issues at minicamp. 

Hoping it is all worked out and we can move on

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I think you should leave Rex out of the conversation. McDermott took Rex’s joke of a team to a playoff berth in his first season. 

No, he didn’t take Rex’s team anywhere. If I recall correctly we had something like 8 new starters in 2017 than 2016. And we backed into the playoffs because of a miracle by the Bengals. 

If Josh Allen goes down, this team doesn’t win more than 8 games.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No, he didn’t take Rex’s team anywhere. If I recall correctly we had something like 8 new starters in 2017 than 2016. And we backed into the playoffs because of a miracle by the Bengals. 

Are you saying McDermott cannot win more than 8 games in a season unless he has a high level QB like Josh Allen?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you saying McDermott cannot win more than 8 games in a season unless he has a high level QB like Josh Allen?

With a bit of luck, any coach can win more games than they deserve. Dick Jauron once won 13 games in a season. He went 13-3 with the 2001 Bears.

McDermott needed a moderate amount of luck in his 2017 campaign where he backed into the playoffs with 9 wins. Luck such as facing a Miami team without their starting QB on the last game of the season when we needed a win to have any chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

So…what I’m seeing here is that when something god happens to the bills, it’s either all Allen or a bit of luck.  When something bad happens to the bills, it’s strictly on mcd.  This is shaping up nicely. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 6/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

I love all these articles that say "I was told" that are just guesses. Told by...who? "Team insider"? Diggs himself? The pizza delivery guy? Now I know no one will reveal their "source" but it really undermines how seriously to take any report when we get no idea the level of knowledge whoever told him actually may have.

I like it when posters here on TSW start out with "I heard..." or "I was told..."  ..it's almost always something far-fetched and improbable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

You can explain it away all you want. He took Rex’s team to the playoffs. 
The Bills went from almost 2 decades of no playoffs to the playoffs, in his first season as HC. Any success by McDermott is just plain old luck. Got it. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Josh is lucky we drafted him and not NJ,Cleveland,Carolina, or AZ. 
Josh is NOT the reason we made the playoffs in 2019. Far from it.  That was a total team effort, including McDermott as HC. 
You don’t like McD. and Cincy is a better team than the Bills.  We got it, already. You can say it 15 different ways and you’re still saying the same thing. Blah, blah, blah. 

20 minutes ago, teef said:

So…what I’m seeing here is that when something god happens to the bills, it’s either all Allen or a bit of luck.  When something bad happens to the bills, it’s strictly on mcd.  This is shaping up nicely. 

Only to the “smart” posters. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

With a bit of luck, any coach can win more games than they deserve. Dick Jauron once won 13 games in a season. He went 13-3 with the 2001 Bears.

McDermott needed a moderate amount of luck in his 2017 campaign where he backed into the playoffs with 9 wins. Luck such as facing a Miami team without their starting QB on the last game of the season when we needed a win to have any chance. 

We still won 9 games that year and every team has luck.  The Bills weren't especially lucky in 2017 to win 9 games....they won them.

So basically this team without Josh Allen will only win 8 games.

Meaning, you think the overall 2017 team is one game better than this current constructed team.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We still won 9 games that year and every team has luck.  The Bills weren't especially lucky in 2017 to win 9 games....they won them.

Semantics aren't going to get you anywhere. McDermott was lucky to reach 9 wins in 2017. Just like Jauron was lucky to reach 13 wins in 2001 (but he won them!)

Edited by Einstein

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Meaning, you think the overall 2017 team is one game better than this current constructed team.

Forget logical deduction with this poster, you are Wasting your time. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Semantics aren't going to get you anywhere. McDermott was lucky to reach 9 wins in 2017. Just like Jauron was lucky to reach 13 wins in 2001 (but he won them!)

UGH…no there isn’t any semantics going on here.  It is fact that McDermott can win at least 8 games without Allen as his QB because he’s done it before… and in a 16 game season.

Your statement that he can’t is factually wrong.  And that means you think the 2017 team was better overall.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Your statement that he can’t

I  never stated this.

You're getting lost in your own semantics.

I said this current team is not winning more than 8 games without Allen.

You attempted to twist my words and create a strawman argument. An unfortunate problem for you as I am significantly smarter than you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I  never stated this.

You attempted to twist my words and create a strawman argument. An unfortunate problem for you as I am significantly smarter than you.

In what regard?

Edited by Augie

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I  never stated this.

You actually gave me a good laugh, you are significantly smarter, LOL. 

Whenever a poster trys to deflect attention and claim intellectual superiority, you know they have lost the debate  and lost badly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I  never stated this.

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

You knew where I was going with this because I asked the question.  Then you answered it with the following reply and now you can't answer it further.

FYI, you're not fooling anyone.  No one legitimately thinks you are "superior" intelligence and many think the complete opposite...you're the running joke on here and will continue to be. 

Where is this arrogance coming from lol?  You're seriously an adult and throwing out the "I am significantly smarter than you" on a message board LOL.  You keep getting to deeper levels of insecurity....geezus.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You actually gave me a good laugh, you are significantly smarter, LOL. 

Whenever a poster trys to deflect attention and claim intellectual superiority, you know they have lost the debate  and lost badly.

My brother in law is a VERY bright guy, in some ways. His grown daughters like to share his IQ with you if you let them. I’m not impressed because he is absolutely lost in groups or with any kind of interactions with others. They brag about his IQ, but I’m not sure it outweighs his glaring weaknesses.

Super nice guy, and if you need someone to check your numbers, he’s your guy. But if you want to shout about your strengths, it’s only fair to paint the whole picture. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You knew where I was going with this because I asked the question. 

Yes, I knew you were setting up a strawman.

You tried to distort my statement by implying that my argument was centered around "McDermott could never achieve more than 8 wins without a franchise argument." I saw through your feeble attempt (as I often do) and promptly responded by acknowledging that lesser coaches can occasionally stumble upon a better-than-average season due to luck. I even provided an example of Dick Jauron in 2001.

You were outwitted and outsmarted. Deal with it.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No one legitimately thinks you are "superior" intelligence 

Yes, this is common.

You have fallen prey to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Fools often believe themselves to be smarter than experts.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yes, I knew you were setting up a strawman.

You tried to distort my statement by implying that my argument was centered around "McDermott could never achieve more than 8 wins without a franchise argument." I saw through your feeble attempt (as I often do) and promptly responded by acknowledging that lesser coaches can occasionally stumble upon a better-than-average season due to luck. I even provided an example of Dick Jauron in 2001.

You were outwitted and outsmarted. Deal with it.

Yes, this is common.

You have fallen prey to the Dunning-Kruger effect. Fools often believe themselves to be smarter than experts.

1. The Jauron example is not proof of luck lol.  

2. Doesn't apply because you're not an expert and you're a delusional who brags on the internet.  Really confident and secure men brag on the internet...it's true.

3 hours ago, teef said:

True but bills fans do the same thing with other teams. It’s almost like fans don’t think rationally.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

True but bills fans do the same thing with other teams. It’s almost like fans don’t think rationally.

to an extent.   i'm referring to a specific poster who has tried every angle to show us how bad of a coach he feels mcd is.  if that's someone's opinion, it's all good, but when someone post mathematical equations they spent, "hours" completing, in order to show us they're scientifically correct, while in fact they proved absolutely nothing, there's an issue.  when someone has realized how much they've failed to prove their theory, that now any success under mcd is just luck?  come on.  

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

My brother in law is a VERY bright guy, in some ways. His grown daughters like to share his IQ with you if you let them. I’m not impressed because he is absolutely lost in groups or with any kind of interactions with others.

He may be a bit on the spectrum. It's common in our circles. Feel free to have him email me at danielr@universityprofessors.org

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.