Top NFL Playmakers per team

Solomon Grundy

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Is it a list of teams or players? Kind of confused.

...because I'd say Josh Allen is a helluva playmaker.

WRs, TEs, and RBs are considered, the list is by team. 

• Solomon Grundy changed the title to Top NFL Playmakers per team
22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Bill Barnwell has the Bills ranked #20. Is this good enough to win Super Bowl? 

I guess not. Because if Bill Barnwell has the Bills ranked 20 it MUST be so. Thanks for freeing up my weekends. No reason to watch now, I suppose Maybe I'll just sign up for that Salsa dancing class the wife has been harping me about instead.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I guess not. Because if Bill Barnwell has the Bills ranked 20 it MUST be so. Thanks for freeing up my weekends. No reason to watch now, I suppose Maybe I'll just sign up for that Salsa dancing class the wife has been harping me about instead.

You'll go make spicy salsa and you'll like it! Make sure you don't rub your eyes or your mcnuggets when working with hot peppers. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Well then, yes. 

Honestly the premise of the topic feels disingenuous.  Not the OP, just the ranking itself.

Let's make a ranking of all the offensive weapons but leave out the QB.  You could effectively have the best WRs, TEs and RBs in the league but none of that matters if you don't have a QB worth a damn.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Clickbait.. 

But I love the disrespect we're getting. We'll be considered top 3 by end of year

Nah Barnwell isn't clickbait.........he's very thorough and one of the best minds in the media covering the NFL.

But like everyone else he is hit and miss with predictions like this doozy:

Bill Barnwell, ESPN

AFC Championship Game: Bills 35, Chiefs 27

NFC Championship Game: 49ers 17, Buccaneers 13

Super Bowl LVII: Bills 27, 49ers 17

While I do not necessarily disagree with anything Barnwell said, I find it interesting that he had the Bills ranked #10 last season and dropping to 20 heading into 2023, especially considering that we really did not lose much on that side of the ball in the off-season.

I am guessing that perhaps he underestimated (as many of us did) the significance of replacing Beasley in the slot position/security blanket role for Josh last year and that perhaps the 2022 supporting cast (especially Davis) was overrated heading into 2022. That may be true -- but the various additions along the OL should help to elevate the success of the various skill position players -- and I suspect that one of the new receivers (including Kincaid) will help fill the Beasley role.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah Barnwell isn't clickbait.........he's very thorough and one of the best minds in the media covering the NFL.

Bill Barnwell, ESPN

I do respect Barnwell. I just completely disagree with this list. Look at the Vikings for example on this list. 

How could qb not be on the list? Josh and Mahones are 100% playmakers and so are many other qb’s. But at the same time I imagine Barnwell is trying to shake things up by not including qb’s because it’s essentially too offenses at that point. But still, there ARE qb’s who are 100% playmakers and that’s not debatable. 

I kinda like this list. If you include the QBs, then it would look like just about every other offensive list...top QBs at the top. Interesting to see the other playmakers stacked amongst each other. Seahawks in the top 10 I can see. Falcons? Not so much. 

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I can buy the jets-  

I disagree 💯 about the commanders.  

Commanders weapons underrated. Obviously only a few teams have a Diggs but I think a lot of teams have a better combination of WR2, WR3, TE1, and RB1 than we do.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Commanders weapons underrated. Obviously only a few teams have a Diggs but I think a lot of teams have a better combination of WR2, WR3, TE1, and RB1 than we do.

I wouldn’t trade our playmakers for theirs.  Wouldn’t even consider it

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I do respect Barnwell. I just completely disagree with this list. Look at the Vikings for example on this list. 

Jefferson is the best WR in the NFL by a significant margin.   Hockenson is a 900+ yard TE so way ahead of Dawson Knox as a weapon.   Osborn is a proven 650 yard type slot.   Addison is projected to be a WR1 level of player in short order himself.    Perhaps they are a little highly ranked overall but compare them to the Bills and the Vikings look better on paper at all those positions.    The unknown is Dalton Kincaid........but it's hard to blame people if they aren't as sold that he will be able to become a good slot receiver right off the bat as they are that a guy like Addison will transition more easily to his position in the NFL.   I think Osborn-like production would be considered a success for the Bills by those outside of Buffalo.  I think most Bills fans expect more than the Vegas over/under on all these receivers would be but the other guys they have in the slot are low pedigree guys who have proven a lot less than Osborn so if the Kincaid experiment unfortunately proves to be something more like Mike Gesicki in Miami last year........that position could be a huge weakness again.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If you eliminated Diggs and McLaurin who would you take?

Then seriously consider what Terry McLaurin would do with Josh Allen. 

I’ll take our RBs over their RBs-

#2 give me Kincaid over dotson

#3 give me Gabe over Samuel -  if not even-

TE- knox over Thomas 

I’ll take our other WRs over their too-  Dyami is the only guy that may have a future imo.  but so does Harty and Sherfield.  

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Everyone except Bills fans think their skill set position group is mediocre…. been saying it since last season. It’s a below average group… and it remains that until proven otherwise… at least they attempted to improve it, but their belief in Gabe as a #2 comes off as a bit stubborn… like Beane is trying to prove the doubters wrong.

Who cares?  Statistical fact, unlike everyone's opinion...

YPG: #2 in NFL

PPG: #2 in NFL

#1 team KC and #3 team Phi, we might not matchup player by player, but we are just as strong as a group..  Our biggest difference has been OL play, something KC, Phi much better than us...and doomed us in the playoffs in 2020, 2022, and would have in 2021 if not for Josh playing out of his mind.

These hypothetical rankings are fun, but better suited for Fantasy Football.

Nobody knows what an improved IOL will do for Josh, or having a better running attack/etc.

We keep our star players healthy come playoffs, none of these media/fan position rankings will matter. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bill Barnwell, ESPN

I love to believe this happened somewhere in the multiverse.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

So we have no playmakers...  Our OL has been bad...  We don't have a marquee RB...  Our QB played with a bad UCL...  But we should fire our coach for not winning the SB?  The thought process of fans confuses me sometimes.

But I do think that if Barnwell updates his ranking at the end of this season, he'll have us higher.  Josh and Diggs are the only proven playmakers on the team, so I get his POV.  But I think the cumulative contribution of the rest of the skill position guys will give the Bills a potent offense.  

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Do agree on the offensive line. Still, relying on Davis to be your #2 receiver in targets is asking for trouble come playoff time…. Not sure what you mean we are just as strong as a group with Philly and KC? I’d take both their offensive lines and skills groups over the Bills.

Is it? 

Gabe's playoff stats over the last two years (4 games):

18 of 26 (69.2 catch %) for 389 yards and 6 TDs

On a per game average that equals: 5 of 7 for 97 yards and 1.5 TDs per game.

Playoffs don't seem to be a problem for Gabe.

Edited by folz

On 6/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

Bill Barnwell has the Bills ranked #20. Wide receivers, RBs, TEs. Is this good enough to win Super Bowl? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZ84Mu7I74

Not really which means Allen will have to be Superman again since they refuse to upgrade the number 2 receiver over a guy who clearly is a number 3 receiver 

• Like (+1) 1

How many playmaker did Brady have besides Gronk? No one except one exceptional year with Moss. Brady turned a few midgets into stars. Not the other way around. 

Bills have Allen and Diggs and a handful of other guys that can make plays. They have plenty of talent to win it all. 

With Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Miller, Rousseau, if White can return to form they have playmaker on defense too.

Add Bass as a weapon and they have more than enough.

Coaching, injuries, and oline is what held us back not a lack of playmakers.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Guess you missed the routine drop Davis had against the Bengals to essentially end the game… and come on, you know those numbers are incredibly inflated due to the KC game against a decimated secondary. 

People can convince themselves all they want on Gabe, but unless Kincaid kills it as a rookie, or the Bills sign/trade for an upgrade opposite Diggs(unless someone else emerges on the team) they won’t match up with the other AFC contenders come playoff time.

Gabe had two targets that he didn't reel in in the Cincy game. Both passes the defender got a hand on the ball before it reached Gabe and the NFL ruled both as pass break-ups, not drops.

The first one (I assume this is the one you meant) comes with :19 seconds left in the third quarter (score: Cincy 24 Bills 10). Gabe was open, if Josh leads him, it's a touchdown, but Josh under throws the ball. You can see Gabe having to slow down to wait for it and in the meantime, the defender caught up, put his arm up and the ball grazed the raised hand of the defender before it got to Gabe (which changed the trajectory a bit---as Gabe is now trying to corral the ball with the crook of his outside arm---rather than in closer to his chest). Gabe still might have caught it, but the defender then swiped it out of his arms. And this was on a cold and snowy field too.

I think part of the problem with this one is Tony Romo, because on the broadcast, he first says: "That's possibly a game saving play." They show the replay again, and he says, "That's a little bit of a drop though...that ball was perfectly thrown...Gabe Davis doesn't normally..." And then they show the replay again, but most Bills fans are already screaming at Gabe for a drop. Then Tony says, "Ehhhhh, it might have tipped his finger for a second" [meaning the defender's finger] "Good form at the end by Taylor Britt." This miss was more on Josh than Gabe imo, if the ball was out in front, TD. Could Gabe have still caught it and held on, possibly...but it wasn't a "routine drop."

The second one comes with 7:32 left in the 4th quarter (score: Cincy 27 Bills 10). Busted play/scramble drill. Josh's throw to the front right corner of the end zone wasn't just way behind Gabe, but it was even behind the defender who was trailing Gabe. The defender had to reach back to even get his hand on the ball and he was behind Davis.

Oh and btw, Gabe did pretty good against Miami in the playoffs too (not just the KC game): 113 yards and a TD vs. the Phins.

No one is saying Gabe doesn't need to clean up some of the drops from last year, but some of his detractors blame him for a lot of drops that they would forgive other receivers for. And as I have stated a number of times on the site, Gabe Davis was not the problem with the offense last year, it was interior offensive line, lack of a consistent run game, and no slot receiver. All which the team addressed. The lack of a quality slot and run game allowed many teams to bracket both Diggs and Davis. And yet despite the drops, the bracketing, the ankle, Josh's elbow, Gabe still put up excellent stats for a #2 WR.

We bolstered the OL, the RBs, and the slot position. We now have 5 guys that could play a slot-like role (Kincaid, Harty, Shakir, Sherfield, Hines). All of this should help free up both outside receivers a lot more and I guarantee you that Gabe has worked like a beast in the offseason on his hands. I think a healthy Gabe, with the improvements on offense, will have a very good year this season.

But, either of us could be right or wrong...we'll just have to wait and see...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

For a team with SB aspirations, Gabe Davis shouldn’t be the teams #2 option…. And you can argue semantics all you want. A starting NFL WR should’ve made that catch that ended the Cincy game. 

I won't argue Davis should do better, the drop to lose the Jets game was brutal as well, but who does the Chiefs have?

Kelce, that's about it. I think Toney will shine this year but that's not proven. 

My point is the Chiefs are doing it with arguably a worse set of playmaker, so while you would like better it is doable if the QB is on during the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.