Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

This isn't Sabres related but Ovi seems to have bottomed out as fast as Peyton did in his final year. Only 5 goals and 10 assists this season. I thought he had a shot to catch Gretsky's record but not anymore. It seems like "Father Time" has caught up with him.

22 hours ago, Gregg said:

This isn't Sabres related but Ovi seems to have bottomed out as fast as Peyton did in his final year. Only 5 goals and 10 assists this season. I thought he had a shot to catch Gretsky's record but not anymore. It seems like "Father Time" has caught up with him.

I hope so.

I’ve been a staunch defender of Don Granato. Until now. The talent has been amassed. They also showed much grit in their season-ending playoff push.

But, frankly, they suck this year. Far too many disgraceful, uninspired games. He has to be the scapegoat and it can’t happen soon enough. 
This season is such a huge letdown.

Giterdone, Kevyn Adams!

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve been a staunch defender of Don Granato. Until now. The talent has been amassed. They also showed much grit in their season-ending playoff push.

But, frankly, they suck this year. Far too many disgraceful, uninspired games. He has to be the scapegoat and it can’t happen soon enough. 

Giterdone, Kevyn Adams!

Should have happened in November to salvage season.

How does a team let in 9 goals one night, lose and then pot 9 goals against one of the better teams a few nights later and win.

Definitely need a new bench boss!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Giterdone, Kevyn Adams!

To me it is the same issue the Bills had under Dorsey.  Both Dorsey and Granato castrated the Bills and Sabres offense.  "Don't run Josh"  "slow down on offense Sabres, play more D".  Both the Bills and Sabres are the funnest to watch when both offenses are high flying  Do not neuter Buffalo offenses!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The season is pretty much over, and has been over for 3-4 weeks.

It's depressing.  Perpetually in a rebuild/plan that never bears fruit.  The coach needed to be fired a month and a half ago.  It was clear and 31 other teams would have been capable of making that move.

Adams will not and can not make hard decisions.  Complete inexperience and incapable of being in his position.

• Agree 1

🤦‍♂️ If the current “system” this season was Granato’s attempt to play better defense… yikes.

I also feel like they’ve already tried creating offense like they did last season but teams have adjusted to Buffalo’s style of play. They just clog up the neutral zone, don’t let Buffalo create off the rush and Buffalo has had no answer to that.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

🤦‍♂️ If the current “system” this season was Granato’s attempt to play better defense… yikes.

I also feel like they’ve already tried creating offense like they did last season but teams have adjusted to Buffalo’s style of play. They just clog up the neutral zone, don’t let Buffalo create off the rush and Buffalo has had no answer to that.

Fire this man

5 hours ago, Doc said:

He'll be fired at the end of the season.  There's no excuse to make for keeping him.

Why wait?

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

Somebody better write a scathing article about him quick, so all the players come out in his defense and he starts winning again. 

And then again.........

wash, rinse, dry, Repeat? That in itself is its own kind of fandom hell

Not a  very thrilling prospect for the fan base bottom line

DANGIT

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Sabres win in Pittsburgh, winning season series!

Sabres win 2 in a row!

New Year, New Sabres!

Oooh!   Aaah!  Sabres on the war path!  

The problem is never the short winning streaks, it's the excruciatingly painful downward plunge they enter afterwards.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Sabres win in Pittsburgh, winning season series!

Sabres win 2 in a row!

New Year, New Sabres!

Oooh!   Aaah!  Sabres on the war path!  

Got to see my daughter on TV multiple times.

She was in a sea of Pens fans wearing an old school Sabres tiedown sitting in the second row right over Luukkonen's shoulder during the 1st and 3rd. 

When the building emptied out with several minutes left, she was still there drinking beer til the clock showed 0:00.

Raised that one right. :thumbsup:

• Awesome! (+1) 5

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Got to see my daughter on TV multiple times.

She was in a sea of Pens fans wearing an old school Sabres tiedown sitting in the second row right over Luukkonen's shoulder during the 1st and 3rd. 

When the building emptied out with several minutes left, she was still there drinking beer til the clock showed 0:00.

Raised that one right. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Doc said:

I liked Dahlin noticing Jarry leaving the net and shooting the puck, causing Jarry to have to dive to vainly try and make a save.  Never seen that before.

I hadn’t either but just last night another goalie succeeded doing the same thing Jerry tried.  Fleury I think.  His team then tied it up and won in OT.  Never saw it, then saw it twice in the same night.  Weird.

The definition of a winning streak is 3 games. This is Gospel according to Coach Brown.  Halfway through the season the Sabres have yet to manage this. In fact, they've only won 2 in a row twice

Fairburn from The Athletic pointed out that there are only 7 coaches in the NHL that have been in their jobs longer than Don Granato. Pretty impressive longevity for a guy that has never made the playoffs in a league where half the teams make the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, QCity said:

The definition of a winning streak is 3 games. This is Gospel according to Coach Brown.  Halfway through the season the Sabres have yet to manage this. In fact, they've only won 2 in a row twice

Fairburn from The Athletic pointed out that there are only 7 coaches in the NHL that have been in their jobs longer than Don Granato. Pretty impressive longevity for a guy that has never made the playoffs in a league where half the teams make the playoffs.

That's crazy.  He hasn't been HC of the Sabres for even 3 season's worth of games yet. 

I am more concerned that the Buffalo Sabres don’t have the right core to win a Stanley Cup right now. I don’t believe in Tage Thompson or Alex Tuch being Stanley Cup difference makers. If that is in deed the case then the Sabres have a whole lot of problems. I am not saying on a good team sure you want Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch but there not mentally tough enough to carry a team on there own. There both second line players not great main line players on a good team.

I am leaning towards shaking everything up for the Buffalo Sabres trading both Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch in the offseason instead of firing Don Granato and Kevyn Adams. It’s too easy to keep firing coaches and general managers. Tage Thompson had a career year and there is a reason why the Vegas Golden Knights didn’t mind parting with Alex Tuch he isn’t a clutch player in my opinion.  Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am more concerned that the Buffalo Sabres don’t have the right core to win a Stanley Cup right now. I don’t believe in Tage Thompson or Alex Tuch being Stanley Cup difference makers. If that is in deed the case then the Sabres have a whole lot of problems. I am not saying on a good team sure you want Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch but there not mentally tough enough to carry a team on there own. There both second line players not great main line players on a good team.

I am leaning towards shaking everything up for the Buffalo Sabres trading both Tage Thompson and Alex Tuch in the offseason instead of firing Don Granato and Kevyn Adams. It’s too easy to keep firing coaches and general managers. Tage Thompson had a career year and there is a reason why the Vegas Golden Knights didn’t mind parting with Alex Tuch he isn’t a clutch player in my opinion.  Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Holy Jeebus Cripes…  🤦🏾‍♂️

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gafw5d6d7y9czdxjnz

On 1/10/2024 at 12:56 AM, Jauronimo said:

The Kraken are our white whale.  We have never beaten them.  Buffalo is the only team that Seattle has never lost to.  Why can't we beat those *****?!?  

They seem to play on fast-forward while the Sabres look like they are slo-mo.

They played pretty well today.  I thought they were the better team in 2 of 3 periods.  Tuch and Tage had a rough outing.  Tuch with the awful giveaway on the shorty and unable to capitalize on his own breakaway. Tage was mostly ineffective.