Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

For sure but even guys like Rinehart didn't even make it coming out and he was #2 overall

He is gonna be a gem

I'm pretty sure Reinhart started with the team. 18 and 19yr-olds can play 9 games without burning a year of their entry-level contracts. That's the same situation Benson is in right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I have never been an active watcher of the NHL that much until last season. Hence this is my first  full Sabres season during NFL  football season. Im really looking forward to it. 

I am guessing I have continuing coverage with my ESPN Plus subscription. Unless any of you have any updates regarding watching them out of the area other than that please let me know.

EDIT: I just checked ESPN PLUS still works. Thanks anyway

They are building a juggernaut.  It's a great time to be a Sabres fan! 

GO SABRES!

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have never been an active watcher of the NHL that much until last season. Hence this is my first  full Sabres season during NFL  football season. Im really looking forward to it. 

I am guessing I have continuing coverage with my ESPN Plus subscription. Unless any of you have any updates regarding watching them out of the area other than that please let me know.

EDIT: I just checked ESPN PLUS still works. Thanks anyway

They are building a juggernaut.  It's a great time to be a Sabres fan! 

GO SABRES!

Should be an awesome season for the Sab's...definitely worth it to get on board now and not wait until after the NFL season is over.  Welcome aboard Muppy! 

• Like (+1) 1

As an Isles fan the Rangers will always be public enemy #1 when it comes to hockey. I want to wish the Sabres good luck this season. I do think they will make the playoffs. As for tonight I hope they kick the Rangers asses. Start the season off with win. Go Sabres.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 4

Opening night!!!!

I am really excited for this season. I actually plan to watch every game I can. That’s the first time I’ve said that before a season in at least a couple/few years now. I used to always watch every game, every interview, etc. but all the losing just killed my interest. Now I’m back to being excited

My only real concern is goaltending. I’m not 100% sold on Clifton and EJ but I do feel better knowing they at least addressed the defense. Goaltending feels like a huge gamble to me. Honestly, I still can’t believe we are entering the season with a 21yr old rookie set to be their #1 with no real backup plan outside of the 2 guys that already failed last season (and neither were even able to lock down a backup role this preseason, which doesn’t make me feel too good about either of them at the moment). Don’t get me wrong, I am hopeful Levi is up to the task. But it’s hard not to be worried about the plan, especially when there’s so few 21yr old goalies that have stepped into starting roles in the NHL right from college and even fewer that have done well. We obviously all hope Levi is different and up to the challenge but it sure would’ve been nice to have a legit backup plan.

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Opening night!!!!

I am really excited for this season. I actually plan to watch every game I can. That’s the first time I’ve said that before a season in at least a couple/few years now. I used to always watch every game, every interview, etc. but all the losing just killed my interest. Now I’m back to being excited

When I was much younger, back when there were only 21 teams, I normally wouldn't get in to hockey until close to the new year. One year, I think it was around 1980, I said the same thing..."I'm gonna watch every game starting with game 1." Well, that was the first year I can remember the Sabres didn't make the playoffs. 

Power had a rough first period.  Couple of turnovers, unable to get to the rebound or defend the pass to avoid the first goal.  Levi probably could have done better with the rebound.  Joker was no help.

Benson looked pretty sharp.  Couple of really nice touch passes to setup teammates.  He looks dangerous out there.  Besides the time he decided to become the 3rd forward behind the offensive net, his positioning stands out in a good way.  The shorthanded goal was on him and a lack of awareness.  

Levi played a decent game.  Not much he could do on 3 of the 4 goals allowed.  He made some nice stops to keep it close into the 3rd.

First line was mostly ineffective. Skinner had a few chances.  Cozens line was by far the most dangerous although Dylan might be playing with a hole in his stick.

Hit a couple of posts which could have changed the game but Buffalo wasn't dangerous enough.  Sabres did not generate a ton of quality chances.  So many f@#$ing shots blocked. The Rangers did well to clog shooting lanes but Dahlin and Cozens need to be better and Tage has to put pucks on goal.

Refs were bad through two periods. The calls on Benson and Greenway were atrocious.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, QCity said:

Rangers blocked 23 shots, that's crazy. Sabres really looked flat for most of the night, they grip the sticks too tight at home.

The Rags were playing D and penalty killing like its the conference finals.  Good for them but its a long season.  Dahlin and Cozens need to get shots off quicker.

Unmitigated disaster for a team that is openly talking about playoffs and the fans saying "this is finally the year".  Worst of all is the fact that their home record last season was really bad for a playoff hopeful team.  They just don't play their A game at home.   All that juice in the building and it's a big flop.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Unmitigated disaster for a team that is openly talking about playoffs and the fans saying "this is finally the year".  Worst of all is the fact that their home record last season was really bad for a playoff hopeful team.  They just don't play their A game at home.   All that juice in the building and it's a big flop.

It's very odd.

Wasn’t able to watch to whole game, but the portion that I did was really disappointing. They looked slow and disorganized. Rangers beat them to every puck, Sabres couldn’t string together two passes, had no time to set anything up, and just looked out-classed. 

it’s a long season and no doubt every team will have games like this…I just wish it wasn’t the FIRST game!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lot of season left.

Are you saying that in March you won't still be lamenting the opening night loss? 😀

Everyone loves starting the season with a W but win or lose opening night is inconsequential, just another game in a long season. With that said, you can check back with me on Sunday if your Sabres beat my Isles, maybe I'll change my tune if the Isles lose.

As an aside, I just checked the standings and 4 teams have already played two games while the Isles sit idle until their opener tomorrow. Bizarro scheduling imo.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

First line has been completely ineffective. Tage has been mostly invisible which is tough to do when you're 7'6".  Peterka, Cozens, and the Mitts line are generating all the chances.

I thought Tage was bad in game one and a bit better against the islanders but still not good enough. Tuch and Skinner look invisible so far. Hopefully it’s not one of Skinner’s down years. Right now he looks like the bad version of Skinner. 

Greenway/Mittelstadt/Benson has been by far their best line the first 2 games.

I’ve been impressed with Greenway. He looks a LOT better than last season. Mittelstadt has been Buffalo’s best center. And Benson is staying for more than 9 games if he keeps playing like he has. You could argue that Benson has looked like the Sabres best player (during preseason and the first 2 games).

Peterka has been decent. I’ve thought Cozens has looked like crap though.

Clifton looked lost again. I hope it’s just growing pains in a new system. He went from a team known for great structure and team defense (Boston) to a team that’s basically the opposite (Buffalo).

I thought Levi looked pretty good after that first goal. I also thought the Sabres looked bette in general in the 2nd and 3rd period.

The officiating was atrocious. The NYI got away with crap all game long.

I thought that 3rd goal was Offside. He didn’t have possession of the puck when he crossed the blue line. He didn’t touch the puck again until both skates were clearly across the line.

Definitely a disappointing start to the season but I’m trying not to overreact. Yet.

lol

Jeez!  It’s been 2 games and people are already in doom and gloom mode.  😂 

I’ve watched both games.  Some good stuff mixed in with some sloppiness.  I fully expect things to come together for this squad.  Love how they clawed back against a very frustrating Islanders team.  Love how that 3rd line is playing so well.  Agree with those who are a bit frustrated with the Thompson line.  I remain optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Tage started slow last year and then ripped it up. Rags and isles always give us fits 

Yep. They both play (boring) styles of defense that always seem to give the Sabres trouble. They aren’t good when teams take away all their time and space to create.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Tage started slow last year and then ripped it up. Rags and isles always give us fits 

Exactly.  I don't know why he always starts off so slow but there's no way this is going to be his standard production for the rest of the season.  I thought even by the 2nd half of the Islanders game he was starting to find some rhythm.  If anything it's more reassuring Greenway looks like a beast this year and Mittelstadt is showing his performance at the end of last year wasn't a fluke.

I am not worried about Tage, Tuch, Cozens, and Power being able to kick it into another gear as the season gets going 

19 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

So, I'm back. How's the pipeline looking?

Holding off on buying the NHL package until I hear something good.

4-game homestand starts tonight. If this goes south it could be a loooong season.