All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not trying to hate, it's still Mahomes world and we're all living in it regardless.

But this is exactly what comes with the territory when you are in the midst of a dynasty and why the Patriots were able to weather similar storms through the years when Brady was there because they knew when to let veterans walk and not give them big paydays and contracts.

In CJ case though one could argue you kind of have to since he's the clear cut #2 DT in the NFL behind Donald and major reason why the Chiefs defense has been able to turn on switch come playoff time in all their SB runs.

I sure hope he doesn't land on in Miami because that roster is already among the best in the league, what I meant is being traded away like Hill instead instead of keeping him for big money.

Veach is the best in the business and not an idiot but as I mentioned in another poster, Chris Jones is the #2 DT and top 10 player in the NFL period and a big part of why they are in the midst of potential dynasty so it would be a much bigger roll of the dice to part ways with him like they did with Hill.

Lookit you go, I'm here for Miami signing all the older high prices FA bring it on 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Chris Jones starts a GoFundMe for the Chiefs to be able to afford him. Normally, I'm on the side of an athlete making what he can. But this is a d*ck move IMO.

Please tell me you aren't dumb enough to believe that Chris Jones actually started that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, that GoFundMe is just a joke. That’s why there’s no actual link to the GoFundMe. I’m guessing a fan just photoshopped a photo of Chris Jones onto a GoFundMe page and posted the picture of it as a joke.

edit - 

https://www.ky3.com/2023/08/18/jones-shoots-down-fake-gofundme-campaign-holdout-continues/#:~:text=A fan posted a photoshopped,helps%2C” the tweet read.

yep, that’s what happened.

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Hmm o guess I never thought about this. So what if it's just some schmo?  Does that schmo collect the money? Sorry suckers kind of thing?

Gofundme would cancel it and return the money.  They don’t allow this sort of thing.

Edited by Billl

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, that GoFundMe is just a joke. That’s why there’s no actual link to the GoFundMe. I’m guessing a fan just photoshopped a photo of Chris Jones onto a GoFundMe page and posted the picture of it as a joke.

edit - 

https://www.ky3.com/2023/08/18/jones-shoots-down-fake-gofundme-campaign-holdout-continues/#:~:text=A fan posted a photoshopped,helps%2C” the tweet read.

We love our obviously fake news 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

edit - 

Oh man…..

some people really thought this was legit?🙈

Chris Jones saying he will sit out until week 8 to get the contract he wants seems like maybe the actual biggest story in the league right now.

They have won super bowls unfortunately so it will get downplayed but you cant just replace a guy like that and move on.

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

Chris Jones saying he will sit out until week 8 to get the contract he wants seems like maybe the actual biggest story in the league right now.

They have won super bowls unfortunately so it will get downplayed but you cant just replace a guy like that and move on.

Why would they talk about something that’s true when they can manufacture their own drama?  

Soap operas >>>>>>> reality tv

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Why would they talk about something that’s true when they can manufacture their own drama?  

Soap operas >>>>>>> reality tv

Yea its the game that gets played nationally.  

There is some truth to even the biggest nonsense though and that is how it continues.  In a few weeks we will have real games and this stuff will get sorted out.

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of course we play them week 14... But maybe him sitting out costs them a couple extra games and the #1 seed becomes more attainable.

If anything, it will help the Chargers win the division and KC would have to settle for a WC.

30 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Veach is the best in the business but he's not going to win this game of chicken and will have to blink first if he wants one of the best players in the league back on this roster anytime soon...

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If anything, it will help the Chargers win the division and KC would have to settle for a WC.

As long as Mahomes is still standing upright they wont lose the division.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of course we play them week 14... But maybe him sitting out costs them a couple extra games and the #1 seed becomes more attainable.

It’s funny. Home field….it doesn’t matter to me. However the possibility of playing one less game does. That’s the only reason I want the 1 seed. I couldn’t care less if we are home or away in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jletha said:

As long as Mahomes is still standing upright they wont lost the division.

Jones would be a huge loss for their defense. The Chargers already play the Chiefs tough, and it would become harder stopping Herbert and company if Jones isn't out there. KC should be the favorite but the Chargers winning the division wouldn't surprise me.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Chris Jones does not win them Super Bowls, Pat, Andy and Travis do. Jones helps, but will not derail their season if he sits out for 8 weeks. 

At this point hard to argue otherwise, but one of the big reasons the Chiefs have won 2 SB's is that defense always magically transforms from an average type unit in the regular season to elite in the playoffs and Jones is a big reason why.

So not having him in the lineup half the season + then needing ramp up time when he does come back certainly opens the door for the Chiefs for stumble a bit and drop a few games they might normally not.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Chris Jones does not win them Super Bowls, Pat, Andy and Travis do. Jones helps, but will not derail their season if he sits out for 8 weeks. 

Well that's nonsense. They wouldn't have won either of their Super Bowls without Chris Jones. They wouldn't have even made it to this past Super Bowl without him wreaking havoc against the Bengals.

Him sitting out until week 8 won't completely derail their season but they need that difference maker on their defense to make it all the way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well that's nonsense. They wouldn't have won either of their Super Bowls without Chris Jones. They wouldn't have even made it to this past Super Bowl without him wreaking havoc against the Bengals.

Him sitting out until week 8 won't completely derail their season but they need that difference maker on their defense to make it all the way.

Completely agree.  

It's why we went out and signed Von.  We were desperately searching for that elite level difference maker on Defense. 

Chris Jones has been that for KC.. and they 100% lose to the Bengals in the AFC CG without him.  As good as Mahomes/Kelce are, they can't do it alone, and watching that game made it abundantly clear that Chris Jones was the difference between winning and losing. 

I'd even argue that an elite DT is worth more than an elite EDGE.  Guys like Chris Jones and Aaron Donald completely destroy and/or occupy the middle of an OL, thus allowing everyone else to play off of them. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

At this point hard to argue otherwise, but one of the big reasons the Chiefs have won 2 SB's is that defense always magically transforms from an average type unit in the regular season to elite in the playoffs and Jones is a big reason why.

So not having him in the lineup half the season + then needing ramp up time when he does come back certainly opens the door for the Chiefs for stumble a bit and drop a few games they might normally not.

they are often not elite in the playoffs but manage to make 1-3 huge plays that win the game due to Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

That defense far outperforms the minimal investment the chiefs have made on that side of the ball which is a big factor in why they are who they are and Chris jones is the main reason behind it.  He would be a massive loss for half a season. Chargers play them very tough every game even with chris jones in the lineup.  

I think the bengals and bills (assuming a healthy von) pull ahead of the chiefs pretty comfortably and the chargers could certainly beat them if you subtract chris jones.  He knows it too that’s why he’s holding out lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If I were the Chiefs I probably would’ve traded him for multiple picks a while ago. He’s a great player but they could get 1st plus more picks and cap space for Jones. 

They’d have one less Super Bowl ring if they traded him prior to last season

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

they are often not elite in the playoffs but manage to make 1-3 huge plays that win the game due to Jones. 

They certainly carried the load both times Mahomes left a playoff game early (ironically in both SB winning season 19 & 22), but yes the common denominator was Jones wreaking havoc.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That defense far outperforms the minimal investment the chiefs have made on that side of the ball which is a big factor in why they are who they are and Chris jones is the main reason behind it.  He would be a massive loss for half a season. Chargers play them very tough every game with chris jones in the lineup.  

I agree, for the most part, but wouldn't say they've made minimal investment.. They just don't seem to pay guys on that side of the ball.

That Defense has investment with Day 1/Day 2 picks in guys like Karlaftis, Anudike-Uzomah, Bolton, Chenal, McDuffie etc., but it all plays off Chris Jones in the middle of that DL. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They’d have one less Super Bowl ring if they traded him prior to last season

Impossible to know plus that was last year and he played. 

At some point you have to rebuild Super Bowl rosters. NE traded Richard Seymour. It hurt definitely but they recovered. Trading Jones is the next step  for KC. They will recover.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Impossible to know plus that was last year and he played. 

At some point you have to rebuild Super Bowl rosters. NE traded Richard Seymour. It hurt definitely but they recovered. Trading Jones is the next step  for KC. They will recover.

Chiefs have 3 players that the entire team plays off of..

Mahomes

Kelce

Jones

This isn't like them trading away Tyreek Hill.   And I think they will get a deal done with Chris Jones, but I think that because - unless it becomes toxic - Chiefs Front Office also understands trading Jones is not the same as trading Hill. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree, for the most part, but wouldn't say they've made minimal investment.. They just don't seem to pay guys on that side of the ball.

That Defense has investment with Day 1/Day 2 picks in guys like Karlaftis, Anudike-Uzomah, Bolton, Chenal, McDuffie etc., but it all plays off Chris Jones in the middle of that DL. 

That’s a fair rephrase…they have drafted more defensive players recently that could become guys to build around…should be an interesting year with Orlando brown/Wylie gone that defense may need to step up a little more often.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Chiefs have 3 players that the entire team plays off of..

Mahomes

Kelce

Jones

This isn't like them trading away Tyreek Hill.   And I think they will get a deal done with Chris Jones, but I think that because - unless it becomes toxic - Chiefs Front Office also understands trading Jones is not the same as trading Hill. 

He’s a great player. But as I said I would’ve traded him for multiple picks a while ago. Definitely before the draft. 

A lot of people thought Hill opened up everything for KC’s offense. Jones is a great player but paying him almost $30 million is a bad idea. At least in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s a great player. But as I said I would’ve traded him for multiple picks a while ago. Definitely before the draft. 

A lot of people thought Hill opened up everything for KC’s offense. Jones is a great player but paying him almost $30 million is a bad idea. At least in my opinion.

Maybe, but they also aren't the Buffalo Bills..  They don't feel the need to pay a bunch of guys on Defense.  He's THE guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Jones would be a huge loss for their defense. The Chargers already play the Chiefs tough, and it would become harder stopping Herbert and company if Jones isn't out there. KC should be the favorite but the Chargers winning the division wouldn't surprise me.

I’ll believe they will lose the division when I see it happen. They traded away a HoF WR last year and won the Super Bowl. It should not be understated how impressive that is

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No communication. Interesting. I have no clue why the Chiefs are playing chicken with the most important player on their defense but I'll take it.

We all focus on our cap issues, and the Chiefs are situated better than pretty much anyone else (Bills, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins) but they do have the (good) ramifications of drafting well coming up on the horizon...

A lot of good players like Humphrey and Smith on their OL will be needing new deals soon.. and likely won't be cheap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Jones missing 8 games could cost the Chiefs the #1 seed and when has  Mahomes won a NFL playoff game on the road? Oh wait he hasn't. 

Edited by The Jokeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.